08;

Of Blood and Desire

Yoongi was sat on the couch as he waited for Jungkook to return. It was almost noon and he wasn’t back yet. He knew the cabin was a long distance away from headquarters but it shouldn’t have taken this long for them to get back. They could have run into a few rogue vampires on their way back, but with Jungkook it would be a quick task to finish them off. It wasn’t until Yoongi heard yelling from the hall outside that he realized they were back. Jungkook was arguing with Jiwoo about something.

Jungkook stormed into the room with Jiwoo following him. “I can do whatever the hell I want, Jiwoo.”

“I know you can, but that doesn’t mean you should be giving yourself up to someone you barely know,” Jiwoo yelled. At this moment, Yoongi knew that they were arguing about Jungkook and him.

“And how is it different from you giving yourself to Jackson hyung, huh?! Oh, because he ‘saved’ you?”

Jiwoo clenched her fists at her sides. “That situation is very different from this.”

Jackson walked into the room and pulled Jiwoo by her arm. “Come on. That’s enough.”

Jiwoo sighed and looked at Yoongi. Her eyes flashed a bright red before she looked back at Jungkook. “I think you’re trusting him too easily.”

“That’s funny coming from the one who trusted four strange vampires who had your twin brother chained up in their basement, but I guess that situation is different too, right?”

Jiwoo shut and sniffled before turning that leaving the room with Jackson. Jungkook groaned and slammed the door closed. He leaned his forehead against it. “Dammit,” he muttered.

He yanked off his gear angrily and threw it carelessly on the floor.

“What was that about?” Yoongi asked quietly.

Jungkook pulled out his phone from his pocket and opened it to the message. He handed it over to Yoongi. “Someone took pictures and a video of us yesterday. They sent this to everyone here in headquarters.”

He walked over to the windows and yanked their curtains closed.

Yoongi sighed as he looked at the pictures and watched the video. “You should apologize to her.”

“Why should I? I didn’t do anything wrong. And she’s saying things like she didn’t do them herself.” Jungkook groaned and angrily put his weapons away. “She’s always trying to be like mom. I hate it.”

Yoongi set the phone to the side and walked over to Jungkook. He placed a hand on the other’s shoulder. “You’re the only family she has left and she almost lost you once. She’s just trying to protect you. She’s right to be upset and not trust me. And you have to remember the things she went through to get you back.”

Jungkook sighed heavily and flopped down on the couch. “I know, it’s just...I got angry because she was getting mad at me for things that she did herself…”

“She’s your sister. She just wants what’s best for you.” Yoongi sat next to Jungkook and held his hand. “So, go apologize to her, will you? She’s the only family you have left. Look at me, I have no one. You’re lucky to have her.”

Jungkook nodded slightly. “You’re right… Okay, I’ll go apologize to her.”

“Good boy.”

Jungkook stood and went over to the door. “And when I come back, you’re going to tell me all about last night and why you slept with Hoseok hyung.”

Yoongi blushed. “Wha—How do you know?”

“You smell like his shampoo.”

Yoongi cleared his throat and subconsciously touched his hair. “Whatever…”

“Don’t leave out any details okay?” Jungkook said, shooting a playful wink toward Yoongi.

“You ert,” said Yoongi as he chucked a pillow at Jungkook which he dodged quickly and left the room.

 

Hoseok looked over to Jimin who was laying in his bed, his blanket completely covering his body. He came back into their room about an hour after the pictures and the video was sent. Hoseok knew how Jimin felt about Jungkook and couldn’t help but feel bad.

He moved next to Jimin’s bed and placed a hand on his shoulder. He felt Jimin twitch and quickly retracted his hand. “Do...you need anything?”

“No,” Jimin replied, his voice muffled and raspy almost like he had been crying.

Hoseok bit his bottom lip. “Uh, okay, just text me if you need anything, alright?”

“Okay…”

Hoseok left the room without another word and bumped into Taehyung who was coming down the hall.

“Is he doing okay?” Taehyung asked.

“To be honest, no but I think it’s best to leave him alone right now.”

“Are you sure?”

Hoseok nodded and threw an arm around Taehyung’s shoulders. “Come on. You have some drills to do today.”

“But—”

“Don’t worry. He’ll snap out of it. He always does.”

Taehyung looked back at the door worriedly. “Okay. If you say so.”

 

Jungkook walked back into his dorm room and smiled. “There, I apologized.”

“Good. So, what did she say?” Yoongi asked.

“She’s sorry too and she wants to apologize to you too. I, uh, told her everything about why you’re here, but I didn’t tell her about what you are. Don’t worry.” Jungkook sat down on the couch and sighed. “I decided to keep that a secret like I kept Hoseok hyung’s secret. Did… he tell you last night?”

“Yeah he did,” Yoongi said. “I was excited to know that I’m not the only one anymore.”

“Did you tell him that you’re like him?”

Yoongi shook his head. “No. As much as I wanted to, the words didn’t come out. I’m so used to keeping it a secret from people that I can’t even tell someone who’s like me.” He looked at Jungkook. “I asked him what happened between the both of you, I hope you don’t mind.”

Jungkook looked down. “Mm…”

“I didn’t know you two dated.”

Jungkook chuckled. “I also dated Jimin hyung.”

Yoongi looked at Jungkook with surprise. “What? Really?”

“Yeah, but it’s old news now. Anyway, you have to tell me about you hooking up with Hoseok hyung last night.” Jungkook looked at Yoongi. “What the hell? I thought you said you weren’t going to sleep with him? Wasn’t I supposed to give you like permission or something?”

Yoongi rubbed the back of his neck. “You kinda did when you told me to go to him if I needed anything. Plus you did clearly tell me yesterday that you didn’t care if I slept with him.”

“Oh, yeah, I did say that didn’t I?” Jungkook scratched his head. “Be honest, is better with me or him?”

Yoongi coughed. “What? Why do you want to know that?”

“Just...because. But I already know what your answer is.” Jungkook pouted. “It’s Hoseok hyung, isn’t it?”

Yoongi flushed slightly. “It was your words, not mine…”

“I knew it…I gotta go ask him for some tips then.”

“Oh my god, do not do that.”

“I will, no matter what you tell me.” Jungkook stood up off the couch. “Anyway, come on. You have training.”

Yoongi sighed and followed Jungkook out of the dorm building.

“So, did you and Jaebum have a good trip?” Yoongi asked.

Jungkook nodded. “Uh, yeah. Jaebum hyung grabbed all of the notebooks in time when… your uncle stormed into the cabin and wrecked the entire study.”

Yoongi frowned. “My uncle?”

“He was there looking for you and your dad’s research. Jaebum hyung thinks that he may be the one behind all the half-vampire disappearances and deaths.”

“So, my uncle is trying to do the ritual? And he wants to kill me?”

Jungkook nodded cautiously. “Yeah.”

“Do you know what he looked like?”

“No, only Jaebum hyung saw him.”

Yoongi paused in his steps. “Jaebum did? And he recognized him?”

“Yeah, why?”

Yoongi tilted his head. “I don’t think he’s ever met my uncle… I mean, I haven’t even met my uncle. How could he know what my uncle looks like if I barely even know? I’ve only seen one picture of him.”

Jungkook shrugged. “Don’t know. Maybe he has met him and you just don’t know? You’re going to ask him that question.”

They started for the training grounds again. “Oh, by the way,” said Yoongi, “Hoseok asked me out on a date last night.”

“What?”

“Yeah, we’re going to go stargazing tonight. He said he has a spot he likes to go to.”

Jungkook felt his heart clench hearing Yoongi talking about going on a date with someone else. And that someone else was Hoseok. He felt like he wanted to tell Yoongi not to go but there was a small smile on the other’s face that showed how obviously excited he was to go on that date.

“You seem excited about it,” said Jungkook trying not to sound too hostile.

“Yeah, I mean, I haven’t gone on a date in a very long time. It could be fun,” Yoongi replied with a shrug.

“Do you like him?”

Yoongi hummed in thought and spotted Hoseok with Taehyung in the training grounds. “Sure. I mean, I don’t completely hate his company. I can talk to him comfortably without feeling my anxiety kick up. There’s just something about him that makes me feel comfortable, I guess.”

Jungkook bit his bottom lip. “I see… Does that mean you don’t like my company then?”

Yoongi frowned. “What makes you think that?”

Jungkook shrugged. “I’m just wondering.”

“Believe me, if I hated your company, I wouldn’t be here.”

Jungkook didn’t say anything further as they approached Hoseok and Taehyung.

“Where’s Jimin?” Jungkook asked, looking around for him.

“He’s not feeling good today so he didn’t come,” said Hoseok.

“Uh, alright then. Looks like it’s just going to be you and Yoongi sparring today with Lucas and Jungwoo,” Jungkook said as he looked around. “Speaking of which, where are they?”

Hoseok shrugged. “Don’t know. Maybe they’ll be here soon.”

“Alright, anyway, let’s just start without them then.”

Taehyung pouted. “I have to go up against him? But he beat you, Jungkook. How the hell am I supposed to spar with him?”

Yoongi chuckled and tapped Taehyung’s back with the wooden sword softly. “Don’t worry. I’ll go easy on you.”

Taehyung pouted deeper. “You broke a training sword like it was nothing but a twig… How do I know you’re not going to break me?”

Yoongi stepped into the sparring ring and shrugged. “You won’t know. But I like you so I wouldn’t do that. Don’t worry. I’ll tone it down.”

Taehyung huffed childishly and stepped into the ring reluctantly. “Fine… I’m trusting you alright? Please don’t break me… I’m fragile…”

Yoongi smiled. “I won’t. I’ll start simple. I’ll stand right here and we can see if you can knock me back. Easy. Okay?”

Taehyung nodded. “Okay, sounds easy enough.”

Yoongi held out his sword firmly in front of him. “Ready?”

“Ready,” Taehyung mumbled and he launched off his back foot.

 

Lucas and Jungwoo walked on through the forest just behind the Slayers headquarters. They walked and walked until they got to an old abandoned building that used to be used as a jail and torture chamber for vampires back when the Slayer headquarters were established hundreds of years ago. Jungwoo stopped when he reached the door of the building and bit his bottom lip.

“I don’t know how much longer I can do this, Yukhei…” Jungwoo looked down and sighed.

Lucas turned to Jungwoo and gripped his shoulders. “Remember why we’re doing this, hyung. We have to. It’s...the only way to save whoever is left.”

Jungwoo held back a sob and wiped the tears that welled up in his eyes. “I… I know but… I just… I can’t…”

Lucas pulled the other into a hug and rubbed his back. “I know. But...don’t worry… Everything will be fine. We’ll finish this. It’ll be done soon.”

Jungwoo nodded, squeezing Lucas into a tighter hug. “Okay…”

“Okay? So, come on. Let’s go in.” Lucas pulled off the hug and held Jungwoo’s hand tightly. Jungwoo nodded and followed Lucas into the building. They walked through the halls and entered a room with a cell that held six people in them. Someone sat outside of the cell, watching the six in the cage looking at him in fear.

“Ah, you two are finally back. I was wondering when you would show up,” the man said, looking over at Lucas and Jungwoo. “What have you found out?”

“Uh, we believe that there may be someone at headquarters who is the half-vampire you need,” Lucas said. Jungwoo lowered his gaze and glanced at the six in the cell with regretting and worried eyes. “But we don’t know for sure yet. We’ll figure out for sure tonight.”

“You don’t know for sure what? If he’s the one I want?”

“We… don’t know for sure if he’s a half vampire…”

“You don’t know? Why don’t you know?”

“He… He’s told everyone he’s only human and we can’t just assume it right now, we have to make sure first…”

The man let out a growl causing everyone else in the room to flinch. “You two keep coming back to me with useless information. I don’t give a what you assume. If you think he’s the one I need, bring him to me. You’re running out of time and your precious friends here are also running out of time.”

Jungwoo flinched again and squeezed Lucas’s hand tightly.

“And since I’m running out of patience, here’s a little bit of motivation for you two to hurry up.” The man stood up off of the chair he sat on and twirled the knife he had in his hand. He pointed it to Lucas and Jungwoo. “One of your little half vampire friends will get it. You two will stand there and watch. Interfere and you will die too.”

The man stepped into the cell and yanked one of the half-vampires out by his hair.

Jungwoo’s eyes widened. “N-No, not him, please…” He went to step forward but Lucas held him back firmly. Jungwoo kicked and thrashed as he struggled to get out of Lucas’s grip, tears rolling down his cheeks. “N-No, please, not Doyoung hyung—”

The man smirked. “Oh, you care about this one, huh? Then he’ll be the perfect motivation for you two.”

Doyoung’s eyes widened as the man brought his blade to his neck. Jungwoo screamed and desperately tried to pry himself away from Lucas. The man’s smirk grew darker at the desperation of Jungwoo. He looked down seeing the fear in Doyoung’s eyes and chuckled darkly.

“How amusing,” he said and without a second thought, sliced deep into Doyoung’s neck spilling his blood all over the floor.

Jungwoo screamed and finally broke out of Lucas’s grip and ran to Doyoung’s side. He put his hand to Doyoung’s neck to try to stop the bleeding as he cried. “N-No, h-hyung, please…”

Doyoung choked, blood bubbling from his mouth. He weakly reached up to touch Jungwoo’s face, streaking two lines of blood on his cheek before dying. Jungwoo let out a loud sob and clung onto Doyoung’s lifeless body and rocked back and forth.

The man smirked darkly. He leaned down by Jungwoo’s ear and whispered, “That should be enough motivation for you to hurry up and bring me what I need.” He turned and left the room, pushing passed Lucas who glared at him, tears threatening to escape his eyes.

Lucas looked at the cell at the remaining five of their friends. Mark, Ten, Haechan, Jisung, and Chenle. There’s so little of them left and their days were numbered. He and Jungwoo don’t have a choice but to hurry up or all of their friends will be dead and so will they. He clenched his fists and looks down at his feet.

Doyoung’s blood had started slowly trickling toward him and was now puddling itself at his shoes. Lucas groaned and quickly wiped the tears from his eyes. “Jungwoo hyung...we have to go…” He stepped over the puddle of blood and over to Jungwoo. He grabbed onto his hyung’s shoulders. “Come on… We have to go…”

Jungwoo looked up at Lucas, his cheeks both tear streaked and bloodstained. “I… c-can’t just leave him here…”

“You have to… We have to go…” Lucas said as he tried to pull Jungwoo off of Doyoung’s body.

“N-No, I can’t… I… I can’t leave him here…”

Lucas sniffled and pried Jungwoo off of Doyoung’s body. “You have to leave him. We have to go.”

Jungwoo sobbed as Doyoung’s limp body fell to the floor. “B-But I… I need to stay with him… and them… I have to protect them…”

Lucas bit his lip to keep from breaking out into tears and pulled Jungwoo into a tight hold. “I… I know but if we don’t leave now, we’ll all die… me and you included… We have to go…”

Jungwoo sniffled and held Lucas close. “B-But I can’t just leave them here…”

“If we stay, it’ll be worse for them… Come on.”

Jungwoo choked out a sob and looked over at the five in the cell. “W-We’ll come back for you… D-Don’t worry, okay? E-Everything will be fine…”

Lucas wiped the tears from his eyes and pulled Jungwoo out of the room. They walked out of the old building into the forest and as they walked through the forest, Jungwoo looked down at himself and let out a shaky breath.

“Yukhei… H-His blood is on me…” Tears rolled down his cheeks as he tried to rub the blood off his hands and his shirt. Lucas walked over to Jungwoo and helped the other out of his shirt. He wiped the blood off of Jungwoo’s skin as best as he could and threw the shirt into a nearby bush. He then lifted the shirt off of his back and pulled it on Jungwoo.

“Here. Use my shirt. We’ll go to our dorm and get all cleaned up, okay?”

Jungwoo nodded, tears dripping off of his face. “O-Okay.”

Lucas held tightly onto Jungwoo’s hand and pulled him away. They managed to get to their dorm unseen and immediately, Lucas brought Jungwoo into their bathroom. Both of them stripped down and went into the shower. Jungwoo stood under the water, letting the water wash off the blood from his skin. Lucas gently began to help wash Jungwoo’s body of the dried blood. He washed the other’s arms, torso, and legs gently and then his face.

Lucas bit his bottom lip and leaned his forehead against Jungwoo’s. “I hate seeing you like this.”

Jungwoo let out a shaky breath. “It’s alright… It’s almost over…”

“Even if it’s almost over, we still lost so many of our friends. You were like this with each and every friend we lost. I don’t ever want to see you like this again. I can see you blaming yourself. Stop it. It’s not your fault.”

Jungwoo chuckled sadly and shook his head. “But isn’t it? So many of them died because I failed him that many times…”

“No, we failed him. It’s not just you.”

Jungwoo sniffled and buried his face into Lucas’s shoulder. “Let’s say we do complete our task… Who’s to say he won’t still just kill them anyway?”

Lucas sighed. “Knowing him, he probably will. But we’re just going to have to pray and hope that he will keep his promise to us.”

Jungwoo nodded slightly. “Yeah… I guess you’re right… But what god will answer our prayers after everything we’ve done? We’ve done nothing but hurt and kill people…”

Lucas inhaled sharply. Jungwoo was right. What god would answer their prayers after everything they had done? “Maybe one of them will forgive us,” he said trying to sound confident for Jungwoo to have hope. Lucas, however, found it hard for himself to believe in those words but still held on to some hope that maybe there would be a god out there who would hear their pleas and answer them.