Chapter 3

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A strange crying noise suddenly arises in the master's bedroom. Seulgi was the one who moves, brushing her eyes using the back of her hands. She just slept but she couldn't help but to wake up. She have to get up and check where this sound came from. 

 

She gently jumped off from their bed, trying her best not to disturb her sleeping wife beside her, fixing the blanket and place it carefully to Irene. She looks like an angel when she sleeps. She gave her a kiss on the forehead before stepping out. 

 

As she walk closer to Seulhyun's room, she immediately knew where the sound was coming from. It's from her baby princess. 

 

She gently open the door of her daughter's room, slowly peaking her head to see what her daughter is doing. She was crying out loud. 

 

"Why? Why? Why?" She quickly asked, immediately walk inside her room instead of playing jokes with her. She was crying really loud. There must be something wrong happened. 

 

Seulhyun's room has a mini house on it. Her bed is inside in the mini house. Seulgi decided to design her bed like that because she knows her daughter loves playing house games. Seulhyun loves to play as a mother. 

 

"What's wrong?" Seulgi whispered while getting inside the mini house, where Seulhyun was sitting, crying. "Are you having bad dreams again?" She kissed her forehead while brushing her daughter's hair out of its face, to see her clearly. 

 

Seulhyun couldn't answer her Dad because she was sobbing. Seulgi lay down at the corner, spreading her arms widely. 

 

"Come and give Daddy a hug." Seulgi cutely demanded. "I will wrap my arms around you and will help you have a goodnight sleep." Seulhyun immediately followed her Daddy's request. She was holding her favorite teddy bear, then she accidentally hit her Dad by it. "Ow!" Seulgi exclaimed while Seulhyun paused, waiting for her Dad to lecture her. But the older woman just laugh afterwards. So, the kid follows her. "Are you sleeping with him?" Seulgi asked her while holding the teddy bear. 

 

"It's not him." Seulhyun corrected. "It's you, Daddy. This is you." 

 

"Oh?"

 

"Her name is Deulgi." 

 

Seulgi chuckled. "It's me?" Seulgi pointed herself. "But why is her name Deulgi?" 

 

Seulhyun's eyes furrowed, it seems like she's angry at her Dad's question. "I like her name like that." Seulhyun dived herself to Seulgi's arms. Seulgi automatically embrace her daughter and fixed themselves to the most comfortable position. "Plus, her name is unique too."

 

"What's unique about it?" 

 

"Her name had two d's."

 

"What?" Seulgi raised her eyebrows. "What dees?"

 

"Letter d, Daddy. Letter d." Seulhyun repeated. 

 

Seulgi laughed. "So, her name has two letter d's? As in... dee, dee, ih, yu, el, ji, ey?" 

 

"Yep!" Seulhyun chuckled. "Daddy, I'm tired." Seulhyun's mood changed all of a sudden. 

 

"Okay. Let's get you back to sleep." Seulgi leaned her cheeks to her daughters forehead. But suddenly, she felt a hot sensation on her daughter's forehead. "Are you sick?" She quickly asked. But Seulhyun felt asleep. "Baby, are you sick?" 

 

"Daddy... it's so co-cold." Seulhyun stuttered, her voice was heavy. 

 

Seulgi is panicking. She carries her daughter out from her bed. Because she was busy carrying her, she forgot that the mini house's roof was small that she bumped her head to it. She just simply heave a sighed. Her daughter is her priority at this moment. But she successfully get themselves out from the room. 

 

"Let's go and see a doctor." Seulgi whispered to her daughter, but the young lady grip her parent's shirt while shaking her head.

 

"No doctor, Daddy please. No doctors." Seulhyun was having a hard time in speaking. 

 

Seulgi doesn't know what to do. She wanted to wake her wife up but she remembered, Irene was tired fixing her papers yesterday. It's better to give her some time to rest. She knows she can handles this. But she's quite scared for her daughter's condition. She exhales sharply.

 

"Okay." Seulgi agreed forcely out of her desire. "I'll get you a water and you should drink it." She commanded. Her daughter didn't answer but she still proceeds. 

 

She leaned her daughter up to a sitting position and gave her a glass of water. She gently put her at the kitchen top, then run to open the fridge to get Seulhyun a medicine. She remembers that Joy, her personal doctor, gave them a medicine for Seulhyun. This usually happens when Seulhyun had a bad dream, didn't eat enough food or if she lacks of sleep. 

 

"Here, drink this." Seulgi gave the small plastic cup with syrup on it on her daughter's hands. 

 

"I don't like it." Seulhyun hesitated. She knows the taste of it.

 

"You have to, baby. Before the monster gets you." Seulgi lied and acted like there's really a monster coming at them. She will do everything, even if it will look her stupid, just for her daughter.

 

"Monster?" 

 

"Drink it all before she gets you." Seulgi continued. "I can't help you by that because she only gets kids who have fevers."

 

Seulhyun didn't hesitate to finished her medicine. She growled after tasting it. Its bitter. This is the taste she really hates the most. Seulgi give her the water and she drink it all too to take the taste away.

 

"What's her name, Daddy?" 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"The monster." The young lady repeated. 

 

Seulgi thought that the monster talk was over. "Oh? The monster's name?" 

 

"Yep." 

 

"It's Hyunnie." Seulgi laughed at her own answer. Hyunnie was Irene's nickname when they were in college. Irene's real name is Joohyun. But she prefers to be called as Irene because her dad loves to call her that. Her Dad died when she was eight years old by a car accident. 

 

"Hyunnie?" Her daughter asked. "Does she gets angry everytime?" 

 

Seulgi imagined Irene for a moment. She chuckled because she remembered something. 

 

"Nope." Seulgi carried Seulhyun to the living room. They lay down at the sofa. She wrapped her arms around Seulhyun. "She's an angel when kids follow their parent's orders. But she turns into an ugly monster if kids disrespect their parents." 

 

"What's disrespect?" 

 

Seulgi forgot that her daughter is only four years old. She didn't encounter difficult words yet. 

 

"Disrespect is when you don't follow what Mommy and Daddy say to you." Seulgi fixed her daughter to her arms for her to be comfortable. Seulhyun is still hot but she silently prayed that her daughter will get better soon. "For example," she continued while tapping Seulhyun's to help her fall asleep. "If Mommy wants you to study but you dont want to, that's when Hyunnie will get you."

 

"Wi-will she?" She saw Seulhyun yawn. She fasten her pace in tapping her daughter's . It's a good sign. 

 

Seulgi covered using her hand when she yawns too. Can she have a good night sleep now? She thought. 

 

"Yeah," Seulgi answered, her voice was small. Sleep is creeping inside of her. "When I told you to eat your food but to always cry..." Seulgi stop talking when she heard the snoring sound from her daughter. She must be really tired. 

 

She looks up at the clock on the wall, it's already three o'clock in the morning. She better get some sleep before sunrise. She will have a long day ahead. 

 

She kissed her daughter's forehead before arranging herself to the most comfortable way in the sofa. She carefully moves because her daughter is already sleeping on her arms. 

 

She looks at Seulhyun and it made her smile. She's happy of her life right now. This image, this silence, this warm, this kind of life, is what she wanted until her life ends. She couldn't ask for more but to live a longer life to spend with her family. 

 

 

"Seulhyun! Where are you, Seulhyun?"

 

A loud voice wakes Seulgi up. She hates it so much when someone shouts in the morning. She just want a peaceful day. 

 

Someone suddenly opened the curtains and the sun rays suddenly hits on her face. She opened her eyes forcely, annoyed by the light. She couldn't see who did it because her vision is still adjusting from the sleep. 

 

"There you are!" It was Irene. It was her voice. Seulgi thought. "We don't have much time. Your bus will be here in twenty minites. Get up now!" Irene demanded. 

 

Seulgi sighed heavily. It's only six in the morning but their house was noisy already. 

 

Seulhyun moves, pressing her face to Seulgi's chest. The child still wants to sleep. 

 

"Seulhyun, you have to get up now." Irene attempted to raise her voice again. "You're going to be late in your class." 

 

"I don't wanna go, Daddy." She grips her Daddy's shirt. Seulhyun failed to whispered to her Dad because Irene heard it all. 

 

"No, you can't!" Irene shouted again and she's quite angry this time. "You have to attend school." 

 

"Irene, could you please shut up for a moment?" Seulgi leveled her wife's voice, trying to stop her wife's noises. 

 

Irene was taken aback by her. She just couldn't believe Seulgi shouted at her. left ajar and her eyes widen.

 

"Just sleep," Seulgi whispered to her daughter while carrying her from the sofa to her arms. She place Seulhyun's head to her shoulder, then she taps her back to make her fall asleep. 

 

"What did you just say?" Irene asked. 

 

Seulgi almost forgot about her wife because she was busy taking care of her daughter. 

 

She sighed. "I told you to keep your mouth shut." Seulgi repeated as Irene's request. Irene exhales sharply. "You're so loud. It's early in the morning." Seulgi sway her body while holding her daughter. Thank goodness, she's sleeping again. 

 

"I can't help it!" Irene raised her voice again. She's clearly mad at the taller woman. "She's going to be late. And besides, why are you spoiling her? Why are you letting her sleep again? Her class will start in twenty minutes!" 

 

"Why are you shouting?" Seulgi challenged. She's also mad but she's keeping her voice low. Her daughter is still sleeping. She's trying to avoid the idea that Seulhyun might learn something wrong today from them. "Your twenty minutes are long gone. And for your information, I am not spoiling our daughter," she emphasized the word our. "She has a fever and she's too tired to attend her class. What's so bad about one absent?" 

 

Irene don't know what to do. She doesn't have any idea that their daughter is sick.

 

"I just wanted to sleep. But because your voice was so loud, but because you opened the curtains and the light from the outside hits my face, I couldn't have it anymore." Seulgi choose to ignore her wife instead and  walks toward their daughter's room. 

 

"That's it!?" 

 

Seulgi paused, turning her head back to Irene. 

 

"That's it? You're going to blame me for everything now?" Irene wants to start their fight again when Seulgi chose to walk away to end it. 

 

"No, I am not." She slowly said, word per word. 

 

"Then why are you leaving me here now? Why are turning your back at me?" Irene's face went red. She's furious. She's burning inside. 

 

"No, I'm not." Seulgi repeated, completely turned herself back. 

 

"You just did! Don't tell me I'm lying here?" 

 

"Hey, listen..." Seulgi puts her hand in front of her wife. She wanted her to stop. Does something happened to her to act like this all of a sudden? She thought. 

 

She felt her daughter moves again. 

 

But Irene won't stop talking. "You are clearly blaming me for this! I don't know she's sick." Irene urged again. "If I only knew she's sick, I won't wake you up from your beautiful sleep. I would just let you sleep forever!" 

 

"Shut up!!" Seulgi just exploded. She shouted in front of her family. She couldn't resist the anger creeping in her body anymore. She knows she will regret this day, but there was a burning sensation on her chest and she have to let it all out. She was hurt by her wife's latter words. 

 

Her daughter is crying now, but Seulgi holds her so tight so she won't fall. She pointed a finger to her wife. She wanted to lose this burning sensation inside her heart before she will totally explodes. "I don't blame anyone here! I don't blame you or Seulhyun! I blamed myself, do you hear me? I blamed myself." She repeated. "I just wanted to give Seulhyun some rest because she only has a fever, Irene. She is not sick! The way you say it feels like she's dying. She just couldn't sleep last night because she had bad dreams. It was three o'clock in the morning when we fell asleep. I turned my back at you because I hope you will stop shouting at us. But you didn't! You pushed me to my boundaries." 

 

Irene froze, shocked by her husband's action. It was her first time seeing Seulgi this furious. The dark bags under her eyes, her dried lips, indicated she's lack of sleep. But the redness on her eyes and on her cheeks, indicated she's fired up.

 

"Now, if you still wanna argue with me, let's continue later." Seulgi jumps to fix her daughter in her arms. "We couldn't have the sleep we dreamed of anymore. Are you happy now? I hope you are." Seulgi said truthfully. "Because if you're not, our fight will be useless!" 

 

Irene was about to asked for forgiveness but Seulgi completely turned her back at her. She wanted to say something to her but there's no voice coming out. She's completely lost this time, and she's guilty about it. She wanted to follow Seulgi but her body won't move. Maybe, she went overboard and she pushed Seulgi to her limits, in a very bad way.

 

Seulgi decided that if the smaller woman will shouts at her again, she won't look back anymore. No more. She's done. She don't have the energy to fight again anymore. 

 

She brushes her hand to the back of her daughter, who's crying right now. As much as she wanted to prevent bad things to happen in front of her kid, she can't stop it sometimes. 

 

She closed the door behind her. "Stop crying now, Seulhyun." She comforted her. She's swaying their bodies. But the kid won't stop crying. "Calm down now. Daddy's here. I'm sorry about that, baby." Seulgi kisses her face. "Sorry." 

 

"Da--ddy?" She called, her voice stammered because she's sobbing. "Are you mad at me?" 

 

"No, I'm not." Seulgi answered immediately. Her daughter is always one of her weakness. "I love you. Why would I be mad at you?" 

 

"Yo-you were sho-shouting." 

 

"I'm sorry about it, honey. I'm sorry if Daddy exploded." Seulgi carefully explained to her child. "Daddy won't do that again. I promise---" Seulgi couldn't finish her words when a sudden pain on her head kicks in. Her surrounding went spinning. She lost her grip on her daughter, but luckily she didn't fall on the ground badly. She holds the door to keep her balance. 

 

"Daddy?" Her child stops crying, but she was scared. Her eyes opened widely. She slowly approached Seulgi. 

 

The older woman was shaking badly now. Seulgi couldn't even explain to herself the pain she's experiencing right now. Her heart feels like someone puts a fire on it. Her head feels like its about to explode. 

 

"Daddy?" Seulhyun cried again, but its for Seulgi this time. The kid got scared after seeing the condition of her Daddy. She might just a four year old girl but she somehow understands the situation already. 

 

Seulgi's vision went white. She shakes her head, praying it would go back to normal. But it went black. She couldn't see anything, or feel anything anymore. 

 

Irene remained frozen on her position. Everything felt surreal. She exhales sharply, breathing out the air she was holding for so long. 

 

"DADDY!!" 

 

A loud thud caught Irene's attention. She heard her daughter's voice, she was crying and shouting. She just made the fastest 180 ever in her life. 

 

"Daddy!" She heard her daughter burst out crying again.

 

She runs so fast to open the door on Seulhyun's room, but immediately fell on her knees when she saw Seulgi lying on the floor, unconcious.

 

"Seulgi?" Irene called weakly, her voice was small and scared. She slowly crawls towards her lover. 

 

"Da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter