Chapter 7

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"DAD!" 

Seulgi slightly jumped from her position when she heard her daughter's voice. Her eyes are still adjusting from the dark. 

Seulhyun suddenly jumps to her bed. "I'm going to be late." Seulhyun said. She's panicking. It's still Friday, and she have to go to school on time. 

"Huh?" Seulgi rubbed her eyes using the back of her hands. 

"Daddy, faster." Seulhyun begs. "We will have a story telling today." 

"Oh yeah, school." Seulgi muttered. She finally understand the situation. She checks her phone on the side table. "We still have an hour before your class time." She jumps out from her bed and hold Seulhyun's hand. They walked together toward Seulhyun's room. "Get your bag." 

"What bag?" The young girl asked. 

"Any bag that you like." Seulgi answered. "Pack all the things you want to carry with you at school. I'll be cooking breakfast for us." 

"I made breakfast for you." 

Seulgi turned to her daughter. "What?" 

Seulhyun started packing things inside her bag. "I said, I made breakfast for you." She said.

That's when Seulgi noticed the dark sticky liquid on her daughter's lips. She bended to level her daughter's height. She raised Seulhyun's chin using her fingers to see what's on her face. 

"Is this chocolate?" Seulgi wondered out loud. 

"Yep," her daughter answered silently. She's closing her eyes, scared of what her Dad will do to her. 

Seulgi sighed heavily. She seated in front of her daughter while holding her daughter's shoulders. "What did I tell you about breakfast?" 

"No chocolates." Seulhyun said quietly, pouting.

Seulgi nodded. "This will be the last, okay?" She brushed Seulhyun's hair using her hand. "But I will still eat the breakfast you made for me. We will eat it together, okay?" Seulgi kisses her daughter's cheeks. Her daughter nodded defeatedly. "Go on. Continue packing. I'll wait for you in the kitchen." Seulgi gave another peek to her daughter's lips. She stood up and left her daughter's room. She tie her hair, ironing her t-shirt using her hands.

When she reached their kitchen, she started heating the pan. She get the ingredients she needed and put it on the kitchen top. When she just crack the first egg, Seulhyun shouted all of a sudden.

"Dad! Did you see my stickers?" Seulhyun shouted out loud. 

"Honey, I don't." Seulgi answered despite being busy preparing their breakfast. 

"They were here last time. They are gone now." Seulhyun sounded disappointed. 

"Check every corner of your room, darling." Seulgi shouted out loud. "I'm pretty sure it's just there." 

"Okay," Seulhyun said quietly. 

Seulgi sighed heavily. She harshly brushed her hair using her hand. Everything is new to her. She wasn't prepared to be this kind of busy. This was usually Irene's place, now it's hers.

Her phone suddenly rings. She glanced at the caller's name and didn't hesitate to answer the call when she saw it was her wife. 

"Hey, honey?" Seulgi called to the other line. "How was your day?" Seulgi was busy cooking the ingredients on the pan. She was also preparing the table when she got some chance. 

"Are you cooking?" Irene asked from the other line when she heard the noises from the plates.

"Yeah," Seulgi said while mixing the soup now.

"Dad?" 

"Wait," Seulgi said to the other line when she heard her daughter calling. "Yes, love?" She wished she could cut her body into two.

"I can't still find my stickers." Seulhyun sounded sad. Seulgi can feel that her daughter is walking closer to the kitchen because her voice is approaching her. 

"Did you double check it?" Seulgi asked. Puttiing the eggs on the plate. 

"Yeah," Seulhyun just seated on one of the chairs in the kitchen, carrying Ddeulgi in her hands. 

"What did she say?" Irene asked from the other line. 

Seulgi didn't answer her wife immediately. She turned to her daughter who looks like she just lost a million dollars. But it does makes sense in some point, because stickers for Seulhyun is worth a million dollars. 

"Did you check your closet?" Seulgi leaned closer to see her daughter's face. She tuckled Seulhyun's hair to her ears. 

Seulhyun nodded defeatedly as her face darkens. 

Seulgi cupped her face. "How about in your bed? Did you check it?" 

"Yeah, it wasn't there too." 

Seulgi heard a noise that indicating her fried potatoes are gonna burn any minute soon. She quickly turned around to turn off the gas and put the fried potatoes on the plate. She tasted the soup too and was nodding when she loves the taste of it. 

"What did our daughter say?" Irene asked again from the other line. That's when Seulgi remembered that her wife was still on the line. 

"She said," She leaned closer to the phone. "... she couldn't find her stickers." Seulgi continued. 

"Oh my God," Irene exclaimed loudly. "Is she mad right now?" 

Though Seulgi was surprised by her wife's action, she decided to continue cooking anyhow. 

"Nope." She answered to Irene. "Her face looks like she's going to cry. But I know she won't because she's a grownup and she's older." Seulgi literally said it loud out so her daughter could hear it. "She won't cry for some stickers only." 

"But, Daddy..." Seulhyun is almost there to cry. She sniffed. 

"Daddy, what?" Seulgi asked without looking at her daughter. She put some rice on her plate and to her daughter's plate too. She was surprised when she saw Seulhyun's misty eyes when she turned around. "Why?" She asked worriedly. 

"I love those stickers." A tear fell from her daughter's eye. It's an emergency. Seulgi told herself. 

"Seulhyun!?" Irene called from the other line. Seulgi pass the phone to her daughter. 

"Talk to Mom." Seulgi demanded silently.

"Seulhyun, honey?" Irene called. "I'm sorry," 

"You didn't do anything wrong, Mommy." Seulhyun answered. She brushed off the only tear that fell on her cheeks. 

Seulgi seated on the opposite side of her daughter. She was looking at her lovingly. She just love staring at her today. Though Seulhyun's face is messy and wet. 

"Mommy did the worst sin ever." Irene said from the other line. 

Seulgi put some eggs to Seulhyun's plate. She also prepared a soup to her daughter and put it in front of her.

"What is it?" Seulhyun wondered. She hugs Ddeulgi tightly. 

"Mommy brought your stickers with her." Irene admitted defeatedly. "I brought it with me because I'm afraid I'm gonna miss you." Irene said in a baby tone. "So, every time I miss you, I'm going to get one of your stickers and stick it on my skin. I'm sorry, darling." 

"You brought my stickers with you?" Seulhyun's eyes lit up in wonder. Her face brightens but in a different way. 

"Yes, darling." Irene admitted. "I'm sorry. Will you forgive, Mommy?"

Seulgi chuckled silently. She found the situation funny. 

Seulhyun brushed her face harshly. She sniffed and sighed heavily. "It's okay." Her daughter said after a while. 

"Really, baby?" Irene repeated. 

"Yes, it's okay, Mommy." Seulhyun smiled finally. Seulgi rubbed her daughter's cheeks. She pinched it. She smiled from ear to ear. 

Seulhyun smiled cutely at her too. 

Seulgi suddenly remembered something. "What time is it?" 

Seulhyun was surprised too. She quickly glanced at the clock on her Daddy's phone. "It's 6:30!" Seulhyun exclaimed. 

"You have to eat now." Seulgi commanded. She gets her phone from her daughter. "Honey?" Seulgi called to the other line. "We have to hang up the call now. Seulhyun's bus will be here in thirty minutes." 

Irene laughed quietly. "Okay, okay." She said. "Call me later, please." 

Seulgi smiled though Irene can't see it. "I will. Have a good night sleep." 

"I will. Bye." 

"Hmm," and Irene finally end up the call. Seulgi put her phone on the corner. 

"Dad, I'm done!" Seulhyun mumbled with full of food. Seulgi checks her plate and it was indeed clean. 

"I told you to eat slowly. You're going to have an upset stomach if you will continue doing that."

But Seulhyun didn't answer. The young girl rushed to their comfort room and quickly washes her face and brushes her teeth. 

Seulgi just shook her head and have her first bite of her meal. She tasted the bread with chocolate spread on it, the food Seulhyun prepared for her. She drinks the milk Seulhyun prepared for her too. 

"This is great," she whispered to herself while nodding her head. 

"Dad, I'm done." Seulhyun suddenly showed up in front of Seulgi, fully dress with her bag hung on her shoulders.

"I barely eat the food you made for me." Seulgi mumbled. 

Seulhyun rushed to Seulgi's side. "Eat faster, Dad. I'm going to be late." Seulhyun pouted. 

"Okay," Seulgi kisses her daughter's forehead before standing up from her chair. 

"You're finished?" The young woman asked. 

"Nope." Seulgi answered truthfully. She carried her phone with her and her wallet. "I'm going to eat my food again later. Did you put the things you wanted inside your bag?" 

"Yes!" Seulhyun exclaimed. 

"Okay," Seulgi opened the door to their house. She holds her daughter's hand while making their way to the elevator. They are going to wait for the bus at the basement of their building. The Kang lived in an apartment-like condominium. Seulgi decided to live in a building for her family's security. 

"Here goes your bus, Seulhyun." Seulgi said playfully when she saw the glimpse of a yellow van approaching them. 

"Seulhyun-ah!" A young girl with ponytail from the bus shouted out loud. 

"Lisa!" Seulhyun shouted back. 

Lisa is Seulhyun's best friend. She lived nearby. Seulgi decided to enroll Seulhyun in the same school with Lisa because they seemed to be very close with each other. Seulgi is close to Lisa's parents too, Jennie and Jisoo. 

The yellow van, which they prefer to call a bus, stop in front of the Kangs. 

"Good morning, Seulhyun." A lady with a smile on her face greeted the young girl. She's their teacher. 

Seulhyun entered the van excitedly. 

"Be good." Seulgi reminded her daughter. "Do your best! I love you!" 

"Dad, kiss?" 

Seulgi automatically leaned closer to give her daughter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter