Chapter 4

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yah, Seulgi!" A familiar voice suddenly echoed inside the classroom. 

 

Seulgi never turned for she already knew who it was. "What?" She turned another page of her favorite book. It was about a man who survived in poverty though he was blind. She likes it because she can get ideas how to survive life. 

 

"Yah," Her best friend seated on the chair in front of her. She put the book down, which Seulgi was holding, so Seulgi could see her face. When Seulgi met her eyes, no doubt, she's excited to tell her about something. 

 

"What?" Seulgi was annoyed. She seldom hates it when someone disturb her from her ritual, which is reading books. As long as the news is worth it, she'll remain silent. 

 

"Did you hear about the new lady in town?" Town means school. 

 

"Yep." She raised the book up again so she could continue reading it. 

 

"Did you see her?" Her best friend pulled the book from her hands again and quickly put it under her desk. 

 

"Krys!" She shouted. She attempted to get it from her but Krystal was so desperate to stop her friend from reading a not-so-wonderful story of an unknown person. "Give it back to me." Seulgi urged. 

 

"What's so good about it?" Krystal wondered out loud. 

 

"What's so good about her?" Seulgi challenged.

 

"Have you met her?" 

 

"I don't care. Give me back my book, Krys." Seulgi opened her palm in front of Krystal. She's keeping her temper down. 

 

"Have you met her?" Krystal repeated, emphasizing the word her.

 

Seulgi was confused. She looked at her best friend and what she saw was a face curving the side of her lips to a smirk. Her eyes were about to explode from excitement. 

 

Seulgi exhaled sharply. "Okay," she arranged herself to a comfortable position on her chair. She decided to listen to her friend to whatever she's going to say. "Tell me, why are you so excited about the new student?" She crossed her legs. 

 

"Have you met her?" Krystal stood up just to sit in Seulgi's table. "I keep asking you this question like what, 3rd time? But you never answer me." 

 

"Nope." Seulgi shrugged. "Now, give me my book." 

 

"Damn, you're an annoying . Do you know that?" 

 

"And why would you say that?" 

 

Krystal leaned her face closer to Seulgi. "Because you are going to miss the good stuff if you're not making your damn move now and meet the girl." She whispered. 

 

Seulgi raised her eyebrows, still doesn't understand what Krystal was trying to say. 

 

"Seulgi, she's here!" Krystal holds her in the collar, shaking her friend. 

 

"Stop." Seulgi was trying to pulled her friend's hand from her collar. "Who's here? I just don't---"

 

"Joohyun."

 

"Care---" Seulgi paused. "Who?" She asked, her voice was small. Is it the girl who invaded her mind for years? 

 

Krystal nodded her head excitedly. She finally got her friend's attention. "Bae Joohyun." 

 

Seulgi's eyes opened widely and left ajar. "There's no way in the world she will be here. She's in Daegu." 

 

"She's here!" Krystal half-whispered half-shouted. She was pulling and pushing Seulgi by holding her shoulders. 

 

"Don't you dare ing kidding me." Seulgi is keeping her expectation low. She doesn't want to break her already broken heart, still because of that woman, who left her without saying anything after she confessed her feelings. 

 

"I'm not going to your already ed up life, Seul." Krystal pulled her to a standing position. "If you don't believe me..." She was pulling her friend now, going outside the room. "...let's meet her." 

 

Seulgi soul left her body. She doesn't exactly know what she has to do in this kind of situation. She's still broken. 

 

Just as they were about to step another foot outside the door, the girl they were talking about suddenly shows up in front of them. 

 

"I-irene!" Krystal greeted though she was stuttered.

 

"Hi, Krys." Irene bowed. She turned her head to the side to look at the girl who's standing in the back of Krystal. "Hi, Seulgi!" She greeted cheerfully. 

 

Krystal was raising her eyebrows when she noticed Irene's tone when greeting her friend. But Seulgi remained silent. She was frozen, just staring at the girl in front of them. Krystal have to elbowed her secretly so she could wake up from her dream. 

 

Seulgi just came back to earth, smoothing invisible wrinkles out of her uniform. "I need to go." She said dryly. She take off Krystal's hand off her and left them. 

 

Krystal was as surprised as Irene. Her friend left without saying hello to the girl she felt in love with. She thought, it was a perfect time to say something to her crush. It's been a long time since they saw each other. 

 

"I'm sorry about that." Krystal said to the shorter girl. She tapped Irene's shoulder before she left the girl too. Krystal followed her friend for she doesn't know where. 

 

"Hey," Krystal was trying to snap Seulgi. "Where exactly are you going?" 

 

But Seulgi never stop walking though her legs were already hurt because the adrenaline's gone. 

 

"We are so far away from her now." Krystal stop her by holding her arm. "Stop." She demanded. 

 

Seulgi exhaled sharply. 

 

"Yah, Seulgi." She turned her friend to her. "What was that for?" 

 

"What?" 

 

"The silent treatment? The avoid-her-as-much-as-you-can-treatment?" Krystal pointed the hallway where Irene was standing. "She's already in front of you. You simply just have to say hi, or hello, or how are you. Why did you have to act like that?"

 

Seulgi looked at her friend. "I don't know," 

 

"What!? Are you nuts?" Krystal ran a hand through her hair. "Where did the Seulgi I know go? The one who keeps saying I love her so much, Krys. The one who never get tired saying the name Bae Joohyun." 

 

"She's dead." Seulgi said dryly. 

 

Krystal laughed so loud. "You are really nuts." She leaned her back to the wall while crossing her arms to her chest, waiting for Seulgi to speak up. She saw within that her friend was struggling inside. "Okay," Seulgi raised her head. "Sell me. I'm listening." 

 

Seulgi inhaled deeply before she walked beside her friend and leaned her back to the wall too. "I wasn't avoiding her because I wanted to," She was speaking with her hands. "I was avoiding her because I don't know what to say. I tried my best to say something but words won't come out from my mouth. It stucked in my tongue." 

 

Krystal smiled while putting a hand to her friend's shoulder. She knows this feeling. "You got starstruck." 

 

Seulgi just shrugged. "Did you know that she left me after I confessed to her?" Seulgi's voice was small, visibly not confident. 

 

Krystal caught by surprised. "So you really confessed to her back in highschool?" She asked, raised her voice accidentally. 

 

"Of course, I did." Seulgi ran a hand through her hair. She inhaled sharply. "She didn't say anything after that. I don't know if I scared her or if I offended her. And now, she's going to meet me like nothing happened?" 

 

Krystal laughed silently. "I bet you got hurt." Seulgi nodded. She couldn't agree more. "But hey, Seul. She's here again with you. You got to say something or maybe ask her about your past before this second chance of yours will be gone again." She turned to her side to face her friend. 

 

"I can't..."

 

"You can't, what?" 

 

"I can't afford to be heart broken again." Seulgi whispered. 

 

Krystal chuckled. "Bro, what would you do if you stumbled down?" Reminding Seulgi their famous motto.

 

"Stand up again." Seulgi continued for Krystal.

 

"And?" 

 

"Do it again until you have it." 

 

"Exactly!" Krystal spanked Seulgi's . "Listen to me, buddy. You will face her again, with all the confidence that's left in you, and say hi, or hello, or do anything, any ways you can think of, just do it so you can talk to her again." Krystal shrugged. "If she rejects you---" 

 

"Krys," Seulgi doesn't want to hear this.

 

Krystal put a finger in Seulgi's lips to stop her from talking. "You will never know if you will never try again, buddy. You have to do it." Krystal suddenly heard footsteps coming to their direction. She leaned backward to take a look who's coming from the hallway. She inhaled sharply when she saw who it was and leaned forward to grab her friend's shoulders. "She's coming here." She whispered.

 

Seulgi is visibly panicking. But Krystal hold her tight and shake her off a little, to help her think straight. 

 

"It's now or never." She said before she pushed Seulgi to the corner of the hallway to meet Irene. 

 

"Oh my goodness!" Irene exclaimed when she was surprised to see a ghost. No, it's not a ghost. It's a person. It's Seulgi. She's was holding her chest while breathing deeply. "Seulgi," 

 

Seulgi didn't say something. She turned around and saw Krystal wasn't there with her anymore. She left her. She left them alone. It's a sign that she have to say something to Irene now. 

 

"It's now or never." Krystal's voice flashed to her mind. 

 

"I'm sorry," was all she could say after the long silence. 

 

"It's okay." Irene smiled fakely. "I didn't know you were there too." She was about to leave when Seulgi speaks up again. 

 

"No, I mean, I'm sorry back there." Seulgi still lowering her head, still didn't have the confidence and courage to meet Irene's eyes. "I should have say something to you." 

 

Irene smiled, and it is not fake this time. "It's okay. I deserved that." 

 

"No, you don't!" Seulgi defended her immediately. "It was my fault. I blamed you about what happened before." 

 

Irene remembered everything vividly. Why would she forget the day someone confessed their feelings to her. And out of all her admirers, Seulgi was the only one who was sincere and adorable. Who was true to herself. She likes the girl too but she wasn't sure if she loves her enough. She was confused back then. She doesn't know her gender preference after she met her. As what she remembered, she was straight. Not until a dazzling girl showed up to her life. That's when she started asking herself. Why does everytime she's with her she feels happy? She misses her already just after Seulgi drop her home. She was taken aback when Seulgi confessed her feelings to her. She was suprised and not ready to commit to a relationship where she doesn't have a single idea about it. She could have hurt Seulgi in the end of their relationship. She has to be sure. She need some time to think about it. She wasn't sure what to say to her either. That's the reason why she left. 

 

The only thing she have done wrong is leaving without saying anything. 

 

Irene smiled at Seulgi. She grabs her shoulders and squeezes it. Seulgi raised her head and saw Irene was shaking her head. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine." Irene said. "I left without saying anything to you. I bet you got offended by that. That's why, I have to be the one who should say sorry." Irene raised her hand and offered it in front of Seulgi. "How about let's start with being friends again?" Irene suggested. 

 

The sides of Seulgi's lips curved up into a smile. She get her hand and shakes it. "Friends." She smiled. 

 

"Oh?" Irene was the first one who took her hand off. "I need to go to my first class before I get late." Irene was about to runaway when Seulgi speaks up again. 

 

"Can I get your number?" Seulgi had enough courage to say it.

 

Irene narrowed her eyes. Why not? She tells that to herself. 

 

"Of course!" Irene walked back and gave her a card. 

 

Seulgi take a look at it and was surprised when she saw the digits. "You never change your number?" 

 

Irene nodded. "I was waiting for you to give me a call back then." Irene laughed softly. "How about tonight?" She suggested. 

 

Seulgi bite her lower lip before nodding her head. "Tonight." She said. 

 

"Okay." She taps her shoulder. "Call me later." She ran as fast as she can. "Bye!" Was her last word before she was finally out of Seulgi's sight. 

 

Seulgi exhaled sharply. She did it! She was grasping her chest because she was still having a hard time in breathing. She just couldn't believe everytime that happened.

 

"Owwww..." A familiar voice is approaching her. "She got her number again." Krystal pushed her friend softly, teasing her. "Oh no! She didn't have it back because it was never lost." 

 

"Shut up," 

 

Krystal wrapped her right arm to Seulgi's neck and pushing it down. She was also pressing her fist to Seulgi's cheeks. "Let's go to the cafeteria!" 

 

"What will we do there?" 

 

"Let's celebrate your bravery!" Krystal didn't wait for her answer, she just pulled Seulgi to the cafeteria. 

 

 

A loud clap made Seulgi come back to reality. She was seating on a chair, facing a huge mirror, inside her dressing room. One hour left until she faces the huge crowd for her last lecture before she takes a hiatus in the industry. 

 

"You spaced out." Her manager informed. Sunmi seated on the chair opposite to Seulgi. 

 

Seulgi shakes her head to set things aside

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter