Chapter 5

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi was turning the key to open the door of their house. She carefully pushes it, trying not to make a sound, because she might awake her family up. It's already one in the morning. She's pretty sure they already fell asleep so she gently closed the door behind her.

Just as she makes a step forward, the lights in the living room suddenly . And there was her wife, looking at her with straight face, sitting in the corner of the sofa with crossed legs. 

"Where have you been?" Irene asked with calm voice. 

"You surprised me." Seulgi whispered, holding her chest because it almost exploded by surprise. She exhaled sharply then making her way to her wife. 

She feels heavy. Her heart feels heavy. 

She lay down on the sofa, leaning her head to Irene's lap, facing straight to her wife's face.

Irene automatically put her hand to Seulgi's tummy, like it supposed to be there at all times. "Where have you been?" She asked while setting Seulgi's hairs out of her face. "Why are you late?"

Seulgi closes her eyes, absorbing the warm from Irene's body, memorizing Irene's movement to her hands, and smelling her wife's perfume. "Fan signing." She answered. As she opens her eyes, Irene was already smiling at her. She loves that look. Her wife's face looks peaceful. "They were a lot of people. It took us a lot of time to finish the event." She continued. 

"How was it?" Irene was brushing her thumb to one of Seulgi's hand now. 

"It was one of the best." Seulgi is wrapping her arms to Irene's body, pressing her face to wife's tummy. "But tiring," she mumbled, and Irene felt the vibration on her stomach from Seulgi's mouth.

"Are you tired?" Irene's voice was concerned.

"Exhausted." Seulgi muttered under her breath.

Irene giggled silently. "Wait, let me fix myself."

"Fix yourself?" Seulgi wondered out. Please don't be the thing she's thinking. She thought. 

Irene didn't answer as she lie down on the sofa beside Seulgi. "This." She said. 

Seulgi exhaled sharply. "I thought you are going to do something green. I am not prepared." She said sarcastically. 

"You better clean up your mind. It's so dirty." Irene said sarcastically. They both laughed. Seulgi put her head on one of Irene's arm while embracing her wife with her long arms. Irene mirrored her action. 

She put her face on the crook of Irene's neck., inhaling her wife's smell. "You smell nice." She whispered.

"I always smell nice. You just never noticed it." 

"I just did." 

"Shut up," Irene knocked her forehead lightly using her fist. The cap on Seulgi's head caught Irene's attention. She took it off of Seulgi. "You always wear them and it always helped you look chic." 

"Does it?" 

"Yeah," Irene throws the cap somewhere in the house. "But I love your face without anything on it. No makeup. No lipstick. Just you." 

Seulgi chuckled. She pulled her wife closer to her. Then, silence followed. No one dares to speak again. They are embracing each other's body with a comfortable silence surrounded them.

"I love you. I'm going to miss you." Irene was the one who broke the silence first. She whispered to Seulgi's ears suddenly.

Seulgi immediately shot her head up to meet Irene's eyes. Irene was already crying when she looked at her. "Hey," Seulgi brushes off her tears. "Why are you crying? Why are you acting like this?" She asked. "You are always the tough one between us." 

Irene cried even more. Those words came out from her heart. She will definitely miss her husband. "Th-this is my first time going somewhere without you." She stuttered. 

Seulgi kisses her forehead. She chuckled but her tears started dropping now. "No, it's not. You have been here with Seulhyun when I'm abroad. It's not your first." 

The older woman was sobbing. "But this time, I'm all alone." 

"Are you scared?" 

"I'm not scared." She said. " It's just that, I can't function well when I'm without you or far from you." 

"I will call you every now and then." Seulgi promised truthfully. She leaned backward to see her wife's face clearly. She cupped Irene's face, brushing her thumbs on her cheeks. "Don't cry. It makes me cry too." But Seulgi was already crying. 

Irene chuckled. "Your face is already wet." 

"No. My face is dry." Seulgi said sarcastically, hoping she could paint a smile to her wife's face. They both laughed. Then silence followed again.

"Don't worry. You are going to do your best out there." Seulgi whispered after a long silence. "You are going to conquer the world with or without me, near or away from me." She wraps her arms to her wife and put Irene's head on her arm. "We will send photos to each other. Seulhyun and I will video chat you whenever you have your free time. We will always say good night to you even the sun is rising here, and say good morning when the sun sets."

Irene's sobbings stops, but her tears keeps dropping. 

"You're gonna watch yourself there, okay?" Seulgi reminded her. "You should also enjoy your days there too. Make some friends. Be a good co-worker. You're gonna show them the Irene I fell in love with. Alright?" 

Irene just nodded. She was inhaling Seulgi's smell, putting it to her system because she's going to miss it. She's feeling Seulgi's body around her. Recording her voice to her brain. 

"We better sleep now." Seulgi fixes themselves in the most comfortable position. "We're gonna have a long day tomorrow." 

"Hmm," Irene muttered, closing her eyes, fixing her head to Seulgi's arm. 

Seulgi starts tapping her back while mumbling a song. Irene wrapped her arm to Seulgi's stomach. 

They have been like that until they both fell asleep.

 

"Mommy, wake up now." A cute little voice was whispering Irene's ears. Irene rolled to her side, where a young girl was waiting for her to wake up at. Her eyes are still adjusting from the light. "You have get ready now, Mommy." 

Her eyes just adjusted from the light. She used to like bright rooms but after she married Seulgi, they started to turn off the lights in their room every night. Though Irene wanted to see the sunrise every morning, Seulgi hates the lights everytime she wakes up. She decided to adjust to her partner's needs. 

"Really?" Irene asked her daughter cutely, pulling her so she could kiss her cheeks. Seulhyun mirrored her action almost immediately. She was kissing her Mom's cheeks and lips. "Mommy, wake up now!" The young girl urged. 

"No shouting early in the morning, Seulhyun." Seulgi reminded. Her voice is somewhere quite far from them. Irene heard the sizzling sounds, then she immediately gets it, Seulgi is preparing breakfast for them. "Help her stand." Seulgi instructed her daughter. 

Irene was still on the sofa, where she and Seulgi fell asleep. She was under the blanket. Seulgi must be the one who put it on her. 

Seulhyun suddenly offered a hand to Irene. "Come on, Mommy. Daddy is cooking sausages. I want to eat it now." 

Irene giggled like a child because of her daughter. She accepts her daughter's hand. Seulhyun was trying her best to pull Irene from the sofa. Irene knows her daughter's strength. She's not that strong but the young girl is fond in acting like she's an Almighty. So, Irene decided to go with the flow and let her daugther think she can pull her mother by her bare hands.

"Mommy, wakey wakey." Seulgi was mumbling in the kitchen. Irene laughs when she saw Seulgi was making cute dances and her was swaying cutely. 

Seulgi turned to her direction. "What's funny?" She asked when she saw her wife's facial expression. Irene seated on her designated chair in the kitchen.

"You looked silly." She muttered. 

Seulhyun seated beside her. "Dad, I want three sausages." The child was raising three fingers.

"Three!?" Seulgi and Irene asked at the same time. 

"You usually eat two. Why three now?" Seulgi continued. 

"It smells nice. Plus, you're cooking today." Seulhyun answered. 

"You're gonna eat three because I'm cooking it?" Seulgi repeated. Her daughter nodded her head. "What's wrong with Mommy's cooking? She cooks delicious sausages too." Seulgi defended her wife.

"Sometimes." Seulhyun tilted her head to her side while pouted slightly.

"Sometimes?" Irene half shouted, visibly surprised by her daughter's confrontation. She can't believed it where in fact she cooks food for her everyday. 

"Sometimes she burnt them." The young girl admitted truthfully.

Irene exhaled sharply. She bites her lower lip, guilty of what her daughter said, turning her head to the other side to avoid her husband's stare. But Seulgi on the other hand was just laughing in the kitchen. 

She knows Irene is a good cook, but sometimes she can make mistakes too. Unluckily, those sometimes are what Seulhyun vividly remembered. 

"Why are you cooking a lot of food today?" Irene asked, desperate to change the topic. She noticed there were a lot of food on their table.

"Joy is coming today." Seulgi was flipping the egg. "She will come with us."

"Auntie Wendy too!" Seulhyun added excitedly. 

Irene suddenly remembered Joy's face on the other day when they were talking about Wendy. She can't forget that smile.

"Have they met before?" Irene asked. Seulgi was frying another egg on the pan. 

"Who?" 

"Joy and Wendy. They didn't meet yet, right?" 

"Yes. This will their first meeting."

Just as Irene drinks the water beside her, the bell suddenly rings. Seulhyun jumped by surprised. 

"Go. Check it out who's at the door." Irene commanded her daughter. 

Seulhyun jumps out from her chair and ran to their door. She clicks a button on a mini monitor on the wall, to see who's waiting outside of their house. In a few seconds, the figure of Joy pops up from the monitor.

"It's Tita Joy!" Seulhyun shouted. 

"Open the door for her, honey." Irene gestured. Seulhyun immediately followed her order. She opened the door.

"I still wonder why Seulhyun calling Wendy her auntie then Joy her tita." Irene wondered. 

Seulgi smiled about it. "We will never know." 

"Who's Hyunnie?" Joy suddenly asked while making her way to the kitchen, holding Seulhyun's hand with her right hand, and was holding a paper bag on her left. 

"Hyunnie?" Irene immediately glanced at Seulgi's direction, for both of them know the word Hyunnie. But what remained mysterious is what Seulgi told her daughter about Hyunnie.

Seulgi was avoiding her gaze, arranging the plate as an excuse. 

Irene turned her head to Joy, who's already sitting on one of the chairs in the kitchen. "Why?" She asked to the doctor.

"Seulhyun told me she's afraid of Hyunnie. She seemed very afraid of her too." Joy answered.

Seulgi gestured Seulhyun to keep shut but Seulhyun didn't notice it and was faster to answer. "She's a monster." Seulhyun seated on her chair. "She will get kids who don't follow their parents' orders." 

"That's why you opened the door for me because your mom told you so and that if you don't follow what she told you, Hyunnie's gonna get you?" Joy asked to the young lady. 

"Yes." Seulhyun nods. "She's going to eat me too." 

Seulgi facepalmed herself. She already imagined what's going to happen to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter