Chapter 8

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6.

 

"Wait!" Irene ran as fast as she can towards the elevator. "Can you please hold the elevator for me?" She shouted out loud. Luckily, the guy with the blonde hair heard her. He clicked the hold button and waited for her until she got inside. She was having a difficult time in fixing her two huge sling bags on her shoulder. 

 

"Would you mind?" The guy suddenly asked while offering his hands for help. 

 

"Oh, please." Irene begged. The guy didn't hesitate to help her. Irene was also carrying a lot of papers, probably her design proposals for next week. 

 

"There you go." He said after filing the papers properly and fixing her sling bags. "Why do you have so many things to carry all by yourself?" 

 

"Work matters." Was all she could say. She looked around them, then she realized it was just the two of them inside the elevator. "Thank you so much." She said between her breaths. She is still catching her breath from running so fast earlier. 

 

The guy smiled at him. "You're welcome. Are you a foreigner?" He asked. 

 

"Yes," 

 

"I can tell by your accent." He said, his smile never faded. "But don't get me wrong. I'm not a racist." 

 

Irene waved her hand in front of her. "It's no problem. I nevermind." 

 

The guy chuckled silently. "Which floor do you work?" 

 

"29th." Irene said silently, fixing her bag to her shoulder. 

 

"Are you in fashion designing?" The guy's eyes widened. Irene nodded. "I wish I passed the exams and the interviews. I could be one of you. It's my dream job." 

 

"Me too." Irene is smiling right now. 

 

"How long have you been here?" 

 

"Probably, a month now. More or less." Irene answered truthfully. 

 

"Congratulations." The guy offered a hand. Irene accept it shakes it. She doesn't know what was that for. 

 

The girl narrowed her eyes to the young man. "You look familiar to me." Irene said truthfully. 

 

"Me too!" The young man exclaimed. "I thought I was crazy but you look familiar to me too." They both laughed. Then, the atmosphere became comfortable for both of them somehow. "May I know your name?" The man had the courage to asked suddenly.

 

But the elevator suddenly opens to the 29th floor, and Irene had to go now before she'll get late. She hesitated what to do. 

 

"I guess you're in a hurry." The guy gestured her to go outside the elevator now. Irene followed him. She steps a foot outside the elevator but was waiting for the door to close. The guy was so nice to him. He deserved some respect. He raised his hand. "See you again, Ms. Foreigner." He said. Irene waved her hand to him until the door closed between them. The elevator goes up. 

 

"Where did I see him?" Irene whispered to herself. 

 

"Irene!!" 

 

Irene quickly turned when she heard someone called her name. It was Rosé, her co-worker. 

 

"Come! Quick!" Rosé continued, while gesturing Irene to come closer to where she was. Irene walked towards her. 

 

"Why do you have so many things?" Rosé wondered out loud. "This isn't neccessary." 

 

"I just wanted to bring them with me." Both of them entered their office. Rosè help the shorter woman with her things. She get one of the sling bags and carry it with her. 

 

"Have you heard?" Her friend asked, putting Irene's bag on her table. 

 

"Heard about what?" Irene gently put her things on her table. She was arranging the papers. 

 

"Your proposal got accepted!" Rosé half-whispered half-shouted. She was so excited for her friend. 

 

Irene's eyes, as well as widened. "Really?" She wondered. 

 

"Yeah. The managers already finished reviewing your proposal and they are going to send it to the president." Rosé holds Irene's shoulders. "You are so lucky!" 

 

Irene travels her eyes around the office and noticed that it's only her and Rosé inside. "Wait," She checks on the editor in chief's table, she wasn't there too. "Where are they?" She asked. 

 

Rosé followed where Irene was looking. "They're upstairs." The brunette answered. They both looked at the conference room on the second level of the floor at the same time. There were a lot of shadows from the inside, and it seemed like they were having a meeting. 

 

"There are in a meeting." Irene said, more to herself. 

 

"Yeah. They are discussing about the welcoming party...I'm not sure if it's an event or just a simple party for the president." 

 

"The one who will review my proposal?" Irene asked. She seated on the chair while Rosé leaned her to Irene's table. 

 

The brunette nods. "The one who will make the final decision if your proposal will pass or not. He will be working here starting next week." 

 

Irene inhaled deeply. Though she's confident about her proposal, she can't stop herself from being nervous. That proposal is her life and death. That idea was stuck inside her mind since she was in college, and now is the time to showcase it. 

 

"I'm excited and nervous." 

 

Rosé giggled. "Don't worry, I heard the president is a nice man. He is also a korean just like us." 

 

"He?" 

 

"Yeah. He. The owner of this company is a he." Rosé scratched her head. "Is there any problem with that? You looked disappointed." Rosé joked.

 

"Shut up," was all Irene could say when she started filing up her papers chronologically. "I wished I knew him." 

 

"Who?" Rosé stood up from the table and pulled her on chair to sit on it. "The president?" 

 

"Yup. So, there is a big chance he will accept my proposal." Irene shrugged. She's started writing something on a paper. 

 

Rosé snorted. "That would be nice." 

 

As if on cue: Irene's phone rang once. 

 

She knew it was a text message. She pulled it from her pocket and saw it was from her husband. 

 

"Seulgi?" Rosé mumbled. Irene nodded while opening the message. 

 

It was a picture of Seulgi and Seulhyun eating in the kitchen. They were scrunching their noses. With the caption of: This was from earlier. I forgot to send it to you. Good morning, Honey! I love you.

 

Irene's smile bloomed across her face. She missed her family so much. The two girls in her life. Her only motivation. 

 

"Can I see it?" Rosé muttered. She pushed her chair using her foot so she could get a little closer to Irene. Irene showed her the picture. "They're so cute! I wished I could meet them in person." 

 

"Soon." Irene whispered. "I'll introduce you to them." 

 

"Seulgi is really beautiful." Rosé said all of a sudden after taking a proper look to the enterpreneur. "I mean it." Irene shot a look at her. But Rosé just giggled. "I don't have plans to take her away from you." 

 

Irene was about to say something when the door of the conference room suddenly opened. The managers are making their way out while still discussing, more of a like a whisper.  

 

"Bae Joohyun." 

 

Someone suddenly called her for she didn't recognize the voice. She rosed to her feet. "Yes, Maam?"

 

"Can I meet you upstairs?" The old brunette woman asked her. Irene automatically nodded. "Follow me." The manager instructed her. 

 

Before Irene went, Rosé hold her hand and whispered, "Don't be nervous. Good luck." 

 

Irene breathe out the air she was holding. She takes a few breathe before proceeding to the conference room. 

 

She closed the door behind her. "Yes, Ma'am?" She called. The woman was busy turning the pages of some portfolio.

 

"Have a seat." She invited. Irene sits across the manager. "Where did you get the idea of your proposal?" She asked out of nowhere. 

 

Irene was panicking inside. She wasn't prepared for this question. 

 

She inhaled deeply. "When I was in college, my girlfriend and I joke around about that. Until I got the motivation to do it personally." 

 

The old woman's eyes lit up in amusement. "Girlfriend." She muttered. 

 

Irene smiled from ear to ear. "Yes." She nods. She raised her right hand. "And we're married." Showing her diamond ring.

 

"Oh, wow." The manager just chuckled silently. "Actually, I like the idea of your work. If I could be the only person to review this, I will pass you. But, the final decision will be from the president." The old woman compile all the papers from her desk. "You won't wait long. He will be here next week." 

 

"I heard." Irene said. 

 

"Good." The manager put her hands together on the table. "Actually, that's not the only thing I wanted to tell you. I wanted to tell you that I like how you work here. Though you're only a rookie,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter