Chapter 2

Remnants of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi park their car on a corner. She turned off the engine and get the keys. They are currently at the basement, where Wendy's birthday party is upstairs. 

 

Irene still didn't say a word after their fight. Seulgi already wanted to say sorry but Irene still giving her the silent treatment and distance. 

 

"Honey, here's the key." Seulgi took the key as an excuse to talk to her wife. 

 

But Irene continued ignoring her. "Did you bring your bag, Seulhyun?" Irene talked to their daughter instead. 

 

Seulgi take that as a sign that her wife is still mad at her and still doesn't want to talk to her. That left her no choice but to wait until her wife is ready to speak to her again.

 

"Yes." Her daughter answered lowly. Seulgi was going to take off Irene's seatbelt but Irene was faster to do it. Her wife opened the door and immediately jumped off of their car. She opened the back seat door and forcely carried Seulhyun with her then they both went inside the building. Seulgi slightly jumps when Irene closed the door loudly. Irene just left her alone in the car. 

 

A tear suddenly fell from her eyes. She suddenly remembered, almost the same situation happened before. Irene runaway from their home once, without her knowledge, because they had a fight. She remembered the feeling. She was so scared that day. She did her best to find her wife and her daughter everywhere, and to win her back. 

 

She brushed off her tears away using the back of her hands. This is not the perfect time to cry. She told herself. 

 

 

Seulgi takes one glass of wine from the waiter's tray after the long hours of entertaining people, and drink it all in shot one. She thought this celebration would gave her a break in talking but she was wrong. The moment she step her foot on the venue, the crown immediately talked to her. She leaned her back against the wall. 

 

"Did you guys had a fight?" A familiar voice approached her. She turned around just to see the birthday girl. 

 

"How did you know?" Seulgi asked. 

 

"Well, it's written all over your faces." Wendy chuckled. But shut immediately when she saw the sadness in Seulgi's face. "What exactly happened?" 

 

Though Wendy is originally Irene's college best friend, she became Seulgi's best buddy in a short period of time too. They have a lot of similarities. They are in the same age. They loves singing. They love talking about dramas, shoes, sometimes business which Seulgi likes the most, and lastly girls.

 

They both leaned their shoulders agaisnt the wall, facing each other. Seulgi glanced at her wife, who is busy talking to her college friends, quite far away from where they are standing. 

 

"We had a fight, just as you guess it." Seulgi was playing her glass. "She wanted me to clear all of my schedules next week." 

 

"That is not that bad. What did you do?" Wendy whispered. She wanted this conversation to be just between them. It is their privacy in the end. 

 

"I did what she told me." 

 

"But?" Wendy already knows what's going to happen. Seulgi is the first one to share their problems to Wendy whenever the lovers had a fight. And the way Seulgi spoke to her today, she knows there is something wrong. So, she better ask in advance. 

 

Seulgi looks at her with defeated expression. "Actually, she got a job as a fashion designer in New York. Wendy, it's fashion designing. It's her dream job." She emphasized the words dream job. "I immediately gave up when I heard it's fashion designing. I know how much she loves fashion. You should be the one who knows it best because you were classmates back in college, but I also know how much she loves the job. Her dream job was to become a fashion designer one day, Wen. But she didn't get the chance because she got pregnant after our honeymoon. She have to watch our child than to work. So, she sacrifice her dream for me, for the sake of our family." Seulgi continued while Wendy was listening to her attentively. "And now that the opportunity is already in front of her, in her hands, she doesn't want to lose it obviously. Plus, it's the company of her dreams. But to grant all of her wishes, I have to clean my schedules for a year to look after our child." 

 

"Woah!" Wendy almost spit the wine inside . "Wait, what!?" She half whispered. "A year? How could you possibly live a life without business stuff and lectures for a year? I've known you very well too, Seulgi. You are the most workaholic person I have ever known. How would you do that? Can you even survive a life like that?" 

 

Seulgi unconsciously nodded her head as she agreed to what Wendy said. "I have to. She will be trained for two months in New York. Then, she will immediately work after her training stage in LA."

 

"So, she wanted you to quit your stable job for her not so sure if she'll last long job?" Wendy asked. She's quite annoyed by the idea. 

 

"Yeah," Seulgi said defeatedly. "I am not against with anything about it, Wen. Actually, I was happy about it. As I told you earlier, I immediately gave up when I heard it's about her getting her dream job. I followed what she told me. I cleaned my schedules for a year as I promised. I am more than willing to look after my child. If you look at the bright side, I can spend a lot of time with Seulhyun. I can be a better Dad to her eyes." 

 

"That's a lot of time." Wendy repeated, which made Seulgi lowered her head for she knows what Wendy truly meant about it. "You're also right. But if you don't look at the bright side, you might lose your dream job too, which you have been working for years. Yes, you can spend a lot of time with her daughter but that isn't just simply to look you as a better dad. A better dad knows how to spend time with their family and to make a living for their family at the same time. Why don't you find a maid to look after Seulhyun?" Wendy just wanted her friend to be realistic. She also has a point. 

 

"Nope, that's a no no." Seulgi immediately said sternly.

 

"Why not?" 

 

"Because we promised each other that we will never and ever get a maid to look after our child." Seulgi said slowly for Wendy to understand. "It is best if we look after her than anybody else." 

 

"Did you also promise before that when one of you is working, the other should quit their job to look after your daughter?" Wendy asked matter-of-factly. 

 

Seulgi shakes her head. "No," 

 

"That's what I'm trying to say, Seul." 

 

Wendy is right. As much as Seulgi remembers, they didn't talk about it before. 

 

Wendy look at her friend's face. "I knew it." She suddenly spoke. She drink all of her wine. "The reason this situation became a problem is because you always let your wife win from all of your fights. So, you naturally gave up. So, naturally volunteered to do the works for her to have a better life. You naturally follow the things she had told you to do so. You never gave her a challenge. So, she always thought that her life will be full of your sacrifices." Wendy sighed. 

 

"It should be like that, right?" Seulgi asked blindly. She thought this was always the right thing to do. 

 

"No." Wendy said sternly. What Seulgi likes  and hates about her friend at the same time is she's too realistic in life. "Look, you let her win every single fight you had, you unconsciously spoil her. She will blames you for everything that goes wrong. Where in fact, it's not just your fault. It should be 50-50. You should let her know the art of sacrifice sometimes." 

 

Seulgi brushes her hair using her hand. "What should I do, Wen?" Seulgi asked.

 

"What triggered her for giving you the silent treatment?" Wendy looked at her best friend not far away from them. "I know Irene for so long. There must be something that provoked her to do this to you." 

 

Seulgi immediately understand what Wendy is trying to ask. "I wanted to accept the interview with Yeri."

 

Wendy eyes gone wide. "Yeri? As in Kim Yeri?"

 

"Yeah, as in Kim Yeri." Seulgi said. "I got a call directly from her and she wanted to interview me about having a hiatus in the middle of my success." Seulgi explained. "I badly want to accept the offer but it will ruined our schedules." 

 

"Schedules?" 

 

"I promised Irene that I will clean my schedules starting next week, remember? But this interview will happens the week Irene goes abroad." Seulgi continued. "I wanted to do this because this might be my last. We don't know. But she's so against about it." 

 

"There you go," 

 

"What?" 

 

"That provoked her." Wendy said while massaging her temple using her fingers. "Once you promised, you promised. Once you said you will do it, you should do it. That is the kind of Irene I know." Wendy placed a finger in her friend's chest. "She doesn't like it when people breaks their promises. In short, she wanted you to keep your word." She slightly pushed Seulgi away.

 

"But Wen, this might be my last interview." Seulgi still won't stop arguing. This might be a natural attitude of businessmen. They won't stop arguing until they wins. 

 

Wendy sighed. "No. Don't do it. You promised her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter