Special 2: This isn't It (Minho's Birthday Special)

My First, My Last

Oh hoooooo surprised to see me here? 

I was thinking of writing for Minho's birthday and thinking of a one-shot before I thought I might as well drop another special episode here! 

Might or might not be good but hope you guys like it! 

 

Always thankful to those giving reactions to this story of mine, be it upvotes, subscribing or the comments! Enjoy!

 


 

"Taemin, I know it's winter now but you don't have to stick so closely to me. I mean- I like it that you are by my side, close but not THIS close. I can't even walk properly!"

 

Minho was starting to notice the strange actions Taemin has been showing recently. The younger would either be REALLY clingy or he would ask lots of questions that left many question marks in Minho's head. "Why don't you like the color green?" "Why do you lift up your cup with your right and move it to your left before drinking it when you are righthanded" and more. 

 

Minho brushed it off thinking that Taemin just wants to know him more and he doesn't see any harm in it... Just that maybe sometimes, he can't really get things done. Like for example now. 

 

"I am just scared that I may lose my way."

 

Taemin had his arms wrapped tightly around his husband's arm that wasn't occupied with their trolley handle. 

 

"Taemin we are in our neighborhood mart and it's TINY here. How are you going to get lost??" 

"Who knows you know... Besides I am cold... like REALLY cold" 

 

The mart was small enough that the heater was able to warm up the area just well but he decided not to question his husband any further before adjusting his posture so that Taemin can continue to cling on him while he can actually walk properly and push the trolley at the same time. 

 

.

.

 

It has already come to the end of November and that means winter is officially here but of course, comes in a set with it, is no other than their exam week that falls on the second week of December. For a student with straight As, Minho is too hardworking to actually be revising as long as, or as much as Taemin should. Instead, Taemin would be the one who falls asleep on their bedroom dressing table where the couple who do revision together. Every night, Minho would wait for a soft snoring sound on his right before picking himself up from his chair to carry his husband to their bed.

 

It's the same routine since the start of the revision week and like a routine itself, Minho never fails to leave a peck on his little husband's forehead, placing his forehead against the younger's before greeting him the sweetest "Good Night" even though he knew that Taemin was already far off in dreamland. 

 

.

.

 

As the days go by, at every revision session they have together, Taemin's attention span gets shorter. Minho also noticed the short 'breaks' that Taemin would inform him before heading out from their room. There was once when Minho decided to get water from the kitchen when he saw Taemin on the phone, talking in a low harsh whisper.

 

"So? Anything?... No no he is in the room... Don't do that or else everyone will know about it and soon Minho will too! It's supposed to be our secret remember! And besides, why would Minho have to know??" 

 

Minho frowned at the conversation he could hardly pick up. 

 

"Taemin...?" Minho called and immediately he saw Taemin hastily putting his phone away, looking flustered.

 

"W-why are you out here?" 

 

Minho sensed the nervousness and surprise in his husband's tone and he was not at all liking it. 

 

"Who were you on the phone with?" 

"O-oh? Just a friend haha... He was just asking m-me e-erm about... Maths! Yes! Maths" 

"Friend? From our class? Who is it then?"

 

The fact that they are in the same class might have flown out off Taemin's mind at his nervousness.

 

"No no no! Not from our class but my previous class! Let's go back in!"

 

Taemin pushed past Minho before hurriedly speed walk into their bedroom. Minho's frown did not subside at all, instead, it deepened further.

 

.

.

 

As much as Minho wants to believe that Taemin wasn’t behaving out of character, it was more than the word 'hard' could manage. The older also can’t keep what his gut feeling is trying to tell him away. 

 

Taemin was even more unreadable these days. He would jump at every phone call that comes in before he detaches himself, walking a distance away from his husband to answer it. And... By a distance away, it meant Minho in the living room and phone call in the backyard. Minho didn’t want to intrude into his husband's life but damn it, whoever on the other end of this phone call is getting on his nerves. How dare his or her phone call disturb his alone time with his husband. 

 

.

.

 

The matter was then thrown to the back of his head over the weekends as he got his hands full with exam revisions... That Taemin is surprising keeping up well. The younger wouldn’t fall asleep until it’s like 3 AM in the morning.

 

Minho thought that Taemin is 'improving.' By 'improving' he means less of those unknown phone calls. However, it was until one day, in fact, it was his birthday that things broke out. 

 

Taemin fell asleep right before the clock strikes 12. Minho did his usual routine but not with a sunken heart, thinking that Taemin might have forgotten his birthday completely.

 

"Well, happy birthday to me I guess?" 

 

.

.

 

Minho woke up to an empty bed and the dampened emotions he felt last night just rushed in like waters from a broken well. Holding onto the hope that Taemin might be outside in the kitchen or the living room, up early for his special day, when he was once again greeted with emptiness. It was at that moment when he heard his phone went 'DING!' from the bedroom that Minho literally flew and threw himself onto the bed as he reaches for his phone by the nightstand. 

 

He was hoping for a familiar name to pop up only to have his hope thrown out of the window when it was just his friends and classmates, teachers, relatives, and more people wishing him happy birthday, except for that ONE person. 

 

"Did he forgot to charge his phone? Why is he out so early? Today is a Sunday though...? Is he out with someone else...? ... Did he... forget my birthday...?" 

 

Minho's long and loud sigh sounded the empty bedroom.

 

.

.

 

Minho decided that Taemin must have been out for an important matter for the younger to be not picking up his calls before he prepares himself for a meetup with Jinki, a common hyung friend of himself and Taemin. Minho was at first reluctant at the invitation, having a thin line of hope that Taemin might be home soon and they can celebrate his birthday together. 

 

"Come on, it's just going to a short teatime with me, your precious Jinki hyung~ I bought you your present too, at least meet me to take it will ya?"

"..."

"It's going to be just a short 20 minutes or so!" 

"... Hmm... Alright then... It's not like I have anyone to spend with too..."

"Hmm? Where's your husband? I thought you were rejecting me because you guys were going to have a sweet candlelight dinner together."

"I could have had the candlelight dinner prepared but it's the empty seat across the table that needs its owner to fill it up..." 

"Where did Taemin go?"

"Who knows, he left the house before I woke up... And didn't leave a word at all. Anyways, I will see you in like 15 minutes then?"

"Sure! Wear warmly and nicely, it's your birthday after all!"

"Hmm... I'll try." 

 

After ending the phone call, Minho went to his cupboard to take his coat for the meetup when he noticed an eye-striking mint color envelope sticking out of Taemin's coat pocket with a name and a heart on its edge. A frown immediately found its way to the birthday boy's face before his curiosity get the greater part of him as he slipped the envelope out from his husband's coat pocket. 

 

"What..." was all Minho could afford when he saw an unfamiliar name on the envelope. Minah.

 

While Minho was contemplating whether he was really going to intrude into his husband's personal life by opening up the letter, his phone rang and Jinki's name popped up to remind him that the older was waiting. He swiftly retrieved his coat and pocketed the mint letter in the process before heading out. 

 

.

.

 

Minho arrived at the cafe and saw Jinki at one of the windows seats as the older waved energetically at him from his seat before the birthday boy waved back.

 

Minho was about to sit down when a familiar laugh caught his attention. He turned to look to confirm his instinct that it was indeed his missing husband. The older zoomed out from his focus to realize Taemin was not only not alone but there was a girl occupying the seat across. Instantly reminded of the mint letter he pocketed before leaving the house, Minho walked up to the said table. 

 

"Minho-" he heard Jinki calling. 

"Ju-Just giv-give me a minute," as Minho proceeded closer to the table.

 

He was a step away when his husband realized a presence next to him, making him look up only to let out what Minho could tell was an extremely shocked look. 

 

"Surprised to see me?" Minho asked with a straight expression. 

"Min-minho I can-" the older could clearly hear the shake in his husband's voice. 

"Explain? You don't have to. I can see it myself" as he looked at the person in front before looking back at the younger.

"..."

"You have nothing more to say? It's okay then, let me ask you. Is this the reason why you left so early in the morning without leaving a word at all...? And," Minho retrieved the letter from his pocket, "I assume this is for her? You must have forgotten to take it out from your coat..." before placing it in front of the pair. 

 

Minho saw Taemin looking at the letter blankly and knew he had to leave soon before he breaks down. 

 

"I mean..." Minho went, "You could have told me and we could get the papers done in an instant..." 

"What paper?... Minho... Don't tell me it's the div-"

"I will get going now. Sorry to have interrupted your nice date, you can let me know through text or something on your decision." 

 

No longer able to control the heartache he was feeling, Minho turned around in time when his first tear rolled down his cheeks. 

 

"Oh my god..." Jinki whispered when he saw Minho's state before he hurriedly held up an 'X' sign across the room to where Taemin was. 

"Taemin! (X!) Taemin! (X!)" the older whispered harshly, loud enough for Taemin to see.

 

Minho could hear the scratching of the chairs against the floor behind him before he felt himself forcefully turned around.

 

Minho was faced with an extremely worried looking Taemin as they met eyes. He couldn't stop his tears from flowing but that doesn't mean he can't force himself out of the younger's grip. 

 

"Let go."

"No!"

"What no?? I SAID LET GO! IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY! AT LEAST STOP MAKING MY DAY MORE MISERABLE THAN IT ALREADY IS THANKS TO YOU!"

"Of course I know it's your birthda-"

"Wow... You knew... And still, you had to let me walk into such a scene??" 

"You wait here,"

"NO, I AM NOT GOING TO! WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" 

"I AM YOUR HUSBAND YOU DAMNASS! NOW WAIT!" 

 

Before Minho was able to respond, Taemin looked towards the counter and gave the cashier a nod before the staff disappeared behind the counter. 

 

"Oh, NOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING WITH A BARISTA TOO? YOU-"

 

"Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday to you~" 

 

Taemin sang and Minho immediately saw a lighted cake being brought out by the cashier. 

 

"What-"

"Happy Birthday to my most precious other-half, Minho~ Happy Birthday to you~!"

 

Minho felt his hands being taken by the smaller before he felt a peck left on it. Still in dazed, even after his husband kissed him, on his lips this time, Minho couldn't really process what was happening right now. 

 

"Happy Birthday my love," Taemin said in between the kisses.

"I thought you have forgotten about it..." 

"How in the world would I? I have been preparing this for days!"

"How..." 

 

Taemin started to explain the whole process of him trying to figure out what Minho would like as a gift through his series of questions to him getting help from Jinki that he has been on the phone with for the past few days. He also cleared things up with Minho's assumed-Minah revealing that the lady was called Heejoo instead, and is in fact, the cashier who is the boss of the cafe's wife that decided to help in this birthday surprise. 

 

"T-then what about the letter..."

"To Minah? Hahaha!"

 

Minho let out his confused expression as he sees Taemin laughing away. 

 

"Did you actually open up to see it?"

"I didn't- I didn't want to intrude, I was about to but I didn't..."

"Then you should now."

 

At Taemin's permission, Minho walked back to the table and picked up the letter to pull out the paper before he proceeds to read it.

 

"My dear 'Min(ho)ah,

Meet me at Cafe MOVE, 2 PM

- Yours"

 

"There was actually Part A and Part B to this. Plan A was for you to 'disrespect' my privacy and open up the letter to see that and come to me. Part B was where you didn't come across the letter or you were just being the sweetest and most gentleman being ever to not open it, thinking that it's a letter for my 'someone' else even though you are curious and furious with jealousy..."

"..."

"You were jealous, weren't you?"

"..."

"Silence means yes and I am glad cause you should. Anyways, seeing that it's already 2: 30 PM and for a punctuality king like you wouldn't have been this late. So Plan B took place and that comes with this mini skit if you could say?" 

"..."

"Minho? Say something-"

 

Minho grabbed Taemin's face in between his palm, making the younger's lip protrude out only to leave dozens of small pecks on it.

 

"You... Played my heart... DO YOU KNOW HOW SAD I WAS TO SEE YOU GONE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING ON MY BIRTHDAY AND SEE THAT LETTER THAT GAVE ME ALL SORTS OF THOUGHTS WHERE 99% OF THEM WERE NEGATIVE ONES?? I-I..."

 

"I have my title of the school's rebel to uphold you know"

 

Taemin held his crying husband in his arms, feeling the other's rapid heartbeat due to the waves of emotions he was feeling at the moment.

 

"I want my first birthday with you to be an unforgettable one... Guess this is sufficiently unforgettable, don't you say?" 

 

Minho broke away from the hug to give Taemin a death stare that for a split second, the younger thought that he was going to be in a deep trouble. 

 

"I-" 

 

Taemin was about to say something to save himself when he was pulled into the embrace of his love before he felt the sweetest kiss of his life. 

 

"I can live with you being angry sometimes," said Taemin before Minho flicked a finger, barely even touching, on his forehead. 

 

"AHWOO!" 

"STOP ACTING I BARELY EVEN TOUCHED YOU!" 

 


Happy Birthday to Taemin's best hyung, other half, husband, partner in crime or in love, Choi Minho!