3. How It All Started

My First, My Last

- 12 years ago: Taemin, 6; Minho 7 - 

 

 

“Grandma!” as little Minho runs into his grandmother’s arms.

 

“Oh ho! The little Choi is here! Why don’t you go and greet your grandpa in his office?” said Grandma Choi before patting little Minho on the back.

 

“Okay!” as little Minho skipped off to his grandfather’s office located down the hall.

 

Minho’s grandparents were the principal and vice-principal of a kindergarten out of their love for little ones. Minho used to go there too until he entered elementary school. Still, Minho would go over once school ends.

 

Minho was making his way down the hall when he passed by a classroom that its door was left open. Just by a quick glance, Minho noticed a boy seated on the ground with his hands around his right foot. 

 

It was bleeding. 

 

It was bleeding but the boy showed no signs of pain.

 

The little boy was just holding onto his bleeding foot, staring at it before he looked up after feeling a presence at the door. Minho clearly remembered those eyes till this day, a pair that felt so empty and hollow. Little Minho immediately ran into the room, all panicked.

 

“A-Are you okay?? You wa-wait here!! I- will go get gra-grandpa!!” Minho was already in tears, being the softhearted soul he has always been. 

 

“I am okay, it does hurt but I am okay” replied the little boy obviously younger than Minho himself.

 

“N-no!! Eghh... I will!! I will! You wait!!“ having an arm over his face as he ran out full of tears, to his grandfather’s office.

 

.

.

 

“GRANDPA!! Eghhmmhhgg grandpaaaa!! Small boy blood!! He is dying!!! Eghmmgghh...” cries the little Choi to his grandfather.

 

“What happened my little one?? Bring grandpa over! You lead the way okay! Don’t cry my child...” as the principal was being dragged out by his grandson. 

 

.

.

 

The small boy was still how Minho left him and the principal instantly scooped him up before running to the nearest clinic. Minho was guarding their kindergarten gate, worried sick even though it was his first time meeting the boy. Soon, he saw his grandfather appearing from the corners without the boy in his hand. 

 

“GRANDPA!!! WHERE’S THE BOY??” screamed Minho in tears.

 

“Calm down my child oh my, look at you in these tears! The boy is fineee! You did great my boy!” the grandfather said as he tries to calm his little boy down.

 

“(Sniffles)Th-then whe-where is he, why i-is he not wit-with you...” asked little Minho.

 

“He is resting in the clinic right now, the nurses are taking care of him, he is going to be fine,” explained the older. 

 

“He is! Isn’t he! Grandpa, he was so strong! He didn't cry at all!” exclaimed Minho.

 

“Haha yes yes... Taemin indeed is one strong boy for someone of his age” laughed the grandfather. 

 

“Taemin...?” and that was the first time Minho heard that name, “Beautiful name,” he thought too.

 

.

.

 

After that, Minho hardly sees Taemin around the kindergarten whenever he was there. With Minho’s school schedule getting busier into the week, it would always be afternoon nap time for the kids and of course, that included Taemin too. Minho would always stop by Taemin’s classroom only to see him asleep so Minho couldn’t really talk neither get to know the younger at all.

 

Soon, school was getting really busy for Minho with his active participation in various school activities including basketball. Naturally, the time he could drop by the kindergarten lessened and so were the chances of him getting to know the little boy he helped. 

 

.

.

 

Summer vacation came and Minho was able to drop by more often to ‘help’ his grandparents...?

 

Who’s lying, little Minho only had one and only ONE motive.  He was going to be Taemin’s bestie and he was going to make it happen.  So with that determination in him, little Minho stepped into the kindergarten ground with his backpack full of sweets and snacks ready to share with his future bestie. 

 

“Morning grandma!” greeted Minho before he swift passed the elderly woman who came to greet him at the door.

 

“What’s the hurry Choi Minho!” exclaimed the little one’s grandma with a laugh but Minho was already gone.

 

Minho knew that it was morning assembly time so all the kids would be gathered at the little field beside the kindergarten. And there in the last line the last position, the corner end was the one he was looking for. 

 

Minho with his backpack in his hand ran passed everyone even the teachers who attempted to hug him were left confused. Minho didn’t have time all of you, he got a huge task on hand.

 

Seeing that the morning assembly has already begun, Minho positioned himself right beside the little boy before joining in the mass sing-a-long. Minho could hear a tiny voice, singing along on his side but it was so soft that probably only he could hear.

 

Done with that part of the morning assembly, the kids were supposed to pair up for a morning stretching and Minho was on guard to see if there was anyone going to pair up with Taemin. After waiting for 5 seconds, Minho jumped in.

 

“Hi, do you have a partner? I don’t have one, can you be mine?” stretching out both his hands, Minho didn’t want to take the risk but he did give it a chance by waiting for 5 seconds. It was the longest 5 seconds in his 7 years of living before a pair of small hands landed in his.

 

“So your name is Taemin, right? I heard it from grandpa! Oh! The principal? Hm-hmm the old man! Who carried you when your foot was bleeding? That man is my grandpa!” said an excited Minho, mostly very nervous. 

 

The younger didn’t respond but just look at his partner.

 

“Uhmm... Uhm do you like Spider-Man? Oh, or are you a DC fan? Superman? Batman? I have a Batman car toy at home!” Minho just went on and on with his questions for the younger. 

 

Little Taemin was fascinated actually, to see someone being able to talk non-stop in just one morning. The two didn’t talk much or maybe Taemin didn’t because Minho was bombarding him with questions before he could even process them. 

 

.

.

 

Soon, morning assembly was over and Minho didn’t even get a word out from his goal bestie.

 

“Hmph...” as Minho let out a sad sigh the moment it was being announced for them to be dismissed to class. 

 

The devastated little Choi was frustrated at the same time too at his failed plan and was angry-kicking the grasses when he slipped and fall on his .

 

“Ahwoo” cried out Minho, “Bad grass! Taemin is already not talking to me and now you are hurting me too, WHY”

 

“Hmphhmhh” when he heard a suppressed laugh nearby. 

 

He looked up to see his stretching partner looking down from above at him, trying to hold in his laugh.

 

“Are you okay?” asked the voice that he has been trying to hear whole morning. 

 

Immediately, the pain in his no longer mattered. Why would it be? His goal-bestie was actually reacting to him for the very first time. Minho was in dazed, to say the least. 

 

“I-I’m-“ 

“Taemin!”

 

“Coming!” as Taemin called out to his homeroom teacher from his classroom. 

 

Taemin took another look at Minho and he smiled. And Minho knew from that moment, no smile, not any smile can be as bright and beautiful as to what he just saw. 

 

“Bye!” ran off Taemin.


Every day after that, Minho would be one talking and Taemin, the one listening. Often giving the older a few nods and expression-wise reaction but other than that, Taemin hardly spoke. 

 

Soon, this became something that bothered Minho, a lot.

 

What made it worst was the fact that Minho could see how fluent and bubbly Taemin could be with his grandparents but he just won’t utter a word when he was with Minho.

 

So Minho decided to find out why... Through his grandparents of course.

 

.

.


It was during the children’s nap time when Minho drop the question in his grandparents’ office.

 

“Grandpa grandma... Does Taemin hate me?” asked the little one.

 

“Oh my, why would think of that? Come to grandpa,” as the principal called his grandson over.

 

Having lifting his grandson onto his lap, the grandfather prompted, “So what’s the issue here?”

 

“Hmm...Taemin doesn’t talk to me... I saw him talking to you and grandma but when I ask him things, he doesn’t respond...” explained the young Choi.

 

“Hahaha” laughed the grandmother who heard it over at her table. 

 

“Dear, why don’t you help your little one out?” asked the wife to the husband.

 

“Now Minho before you jumped to conclusion that Taemin may not like you, you probably should know more about him.”

 

Taemin grew up in a family where his parents are both very busy working adults and unlike Minho’s grandparents who runs a kindergarten, Taemin’s weren’t at their greatest health to look after him. With the distance Taemin felt since he was a little kid, he tends to shy away.

 

Taemin could hardly be seen hanging around with the other kids and would rather stick by the teachers or Minho’s grandparents’ side because he was just more comfortable around them than those of his same age.

 

“However, we do see a change after he met you,” said the grandfather.

 

“Taemin never stays around someone who isn’t teachers or me and your grandma for too long but he stayed by your side, didn’t he?”

 

“But... he wasn’t talking at all...” said Minho with a pout.

 

“Maybe he is just shy... and also my little Minho, you could be talking too fast too. Remember Taemin is a year younger than you are, you know things more than he does. Don’t rush and try to make him open up to you, okay?” 

 

“Ok...ay...”

 

However, luck wasn’t really on Minho’s side. The little one was excited to share his new toy with his younger friend the next time they meet which was 2 weeks after, to know that Taemin has transferred out. 

 

“His mother was being transferred to an overseas branch“ Minho heard.

 

.

.


Over the years, Minho was only able to get occasional updates of Taemin through the email exchange his grandmother does with Taemin’s mother while the family was in overseas. 

 

Also, over the past 10 years, Minho could see his grandfather’s health deteriorating too.

 

Until one day, by his grandfather’s sickbed did the old man brought up a surprising question for his grandson.

 

“My little boy, grandpa wouldn’t be around anymore sooner or later... My only hope now is to see you married with a good partner...” 

“But I am only 17?”

“Your grandma and I got married right at this age and it was the best decision I have ever done in my whole life... We got to spend a big part of our lives together...” 

“But grandpa... I don’t even have someone yet...”

“Don’t worry my boy, grandpa got just the right person for you. Do you remember Taemin...? The small boy that you helped when you were 7, with a bleeding foot? The one you came running to us, telling us how he hates y-“

“Yes grandpa I do... Wait WHAT??”

“What’s with the exclamation?? Do you want your grandpa to leave earlier than I am supposed to??”

“Sorry!! Sorry!! I wa-was just surp-surprised” 

“I know it’s all too sudden but the wedding won’t take place until 1 year more than now, that’s when Taemin will be ba-“

 

“But grandpaaa” whined the 17-years old who is still trying to wrap the idea around his head. 

“You don’t want to?? You?? Y-!“ before the old man let out a harsh cough. 

 

Minho panicked and before he knew, “OKAY OKAY I WILL GRANDPA I WILL.”

 

After agreeing to the marriage, Minho left for school as he bid his grandparents goodbye.

 

“You sneaky old man... Smart but sneaky” laughed his wife when it was only the two of them in the room. 

 

“I only want the best for them.”

 

.

.


Soon, 1 year went by and with Minho being busy with school, the arranged marriage was thrown at the back of his mind. 

 

Until... One day.

 

“Minho-ah, make your evening free tomorrow, we are having a family dinner,” said Papa Choi.

 

“Family dinner?” Minho asked in confusion. The Chois do have a regular family dinner weekly but they do it on a Sunday, not a Friday.

“Yes, we are having guests over so yup family dinner” said Mama Choi while walking pass her son who looked really surprised.

 

Never the son to ask too much Whys, Minho simply went, “Okay.” 

 

.

.

 

With class and his usual practices, Minho was able to reach home just in time for dinner but luckily the guests weren’t there. 

 

“What took you so long to get home?” asked Mama Choi while setting the table.

 

“Sorry coach wanted us to practice a few more shots. I will go wash up now!” as Minho rushed off to get cleaned up and also to escape his mother’s nagging that he sensed coming.

 

Minho was about to dry his hair after a good shower when he heard more voices from the living room. Minho made his way to the kitchen where another 3 more guests were seen at the table already. 

 

“Ah, you are here! Our guests have arrived, come and sit down so we can start!” exclaimed Mama Choi from her seat.

 

Minho walked around the table to get to his empty seat with his eyes fixated on the guests‘ back when he heard his father went, “This is Minho. Not sure if you remember him since they last time Taemin and himself met was about 10 years back haha”

 

Minho froze.

 

“Tae...min...” the name rang again in Minho’s mind.

 

Slowly, Minho turned around, enough to steal a peek at the said name. And there he saw, the very person who might or might not be the reason why he is still single after all these years.

 

They say your mind goes blank when you are feeling an extreme emotion and it was exactly what was going on in Minho’s mind, literally nothing. He couldn’t put the pieces that were flying around his mind together so he let them run free and his attention too.

 

Minho could literally see nothing, nothing at all but the younger boy just inches away from him. 

 

“Ha ha look at my boy! Minho, it’s rude to stare! Hurry up and sit down so we can start!” prompted his father.

 

Leaving his legs to bring him to his seat, Minho finally sat down.

 

“Now that everyone is here, shall we start? Hope your family will like what I could prepare,” smiled Mama Choi.

 

“They look amazing and we can’t wait to try it!” exclaimed Mama Lee. 

 

Minho was still in dazed, he couldn’t even register what he was eating.

 

Focus was never on his food. Not when the ‘Lee Taemin’ was right in front of him.  Unlike Minho, Taemin was eating his food without taking a look at the older at all. Only after he was able to keep himself together that Minho able to take a good look at Taemin.

 

Those pair of eyes, that cute nose and those pair of lips that Minho clearly remembered, have now matured and refined into a set of features belonging to a young man. 

 

“He grew up so much” though Minho with a smile and his eyes still on Taemin.

 

Minho was so focused on the younger that he missed the attention that he was gathering from the elderly who were exchanging glances and suppressing smiles with each other. 

 

“Ahem, so...” started off Papa Choi and it managed to grab the attention of the young ones.


“Minho and Taemin, you guys know why we are having the family dinner don’t you,” Papa Choi asked while taking a glance at his son before another to the other. 

 

Instantly Minho felt a chill down his spine. The marriage. 

 

Minho was going to say he don't when...

 

“Yes,” said the other voice.

 

Minho immediately looked at the owner of the voice who gave him an empty glance before directing his attention back to the elderly. 

 

“Minho what about you?” asked his father. 

 

“Yes...” replied his son, trying to figure what would be next.

 

“So since all of us are on the same page, shall we dive into the details already?” This time it was Papa Lee that voiced out. 

 

“Of course! When should the wedding be?” asked Mama Choi, “I have checked th-“

 

“Erm.” a voice cut her off, it was Taemin.

 

The parents took the interruption calmly but Minho could feel a chill down his spine. 

 

“Ermm... I think we can’t do the wedding... yet? I mean we are still young... A ceremony itself would kinda be too much? And we are still high schoolers now....”

 

Taemin left the end of his sentence opened, allowing the people around to ponder over it.

 

“Hmm... Well, Taemin has got a point... And also a wedding ceremony would take their time off from school too...” suggested Mama Choi.

 

“Then let’s just do the registeration first! The registration only takes a morning so it would be fast... Okay, I will admit! I just want to have Taemin in our family already and I really don’t want to miss a moment at all!” exclaimed Papa Choi.

 

“AGREED!” joins the other parents.

 

.

.


Even though there was no ceremony, the marriage registration still took place in a small room. 

 

Unlike Minho who had all his nervousness written all over his face, Taemin didn’t show any emotion at all and the older doesn’t know if it was better off that way.

 

Taemin’s family entered the room first before Minho was being pulled by his father to the side. 

 

“Here son, take this. I know you both are too young to afford your own rings but I have always wanted to give you this ring I gave to your mom when I proposed to her.”

 

“Thanks dad, I will use this well...I hope...” Minho took in a  deep breath before stepping into the room. 

 

This is it, a new chapter of his life with his other half. When he stepped into the room, all eyes were on him... except for one.

 

Taemin was looking down on the table that was placed in between himself and the marriage officiant. Minho couldn’t help but to feel a strong drop in his heart as he took his seat next to the younger.

 

The officiant retrieved the document out from a brown envelope before placing it in front of the soon-to-be wedded and did the marriage vow with them. Soon the signing was done and the officiant announced them as an official couple. 

 

“You may now kiss” the couple heard.

 

“What?” as Taemin turned his head so fast that it might have snapped. 

 

“Yes, you two are now a couple and it’s part of the ceremony” answered the officiant cheerfully, without catching on the tone in Taemin’s question.

 

Taemin was about to protest when Minho held his husband at his wrist and pulled his hand over to slide the finger into the younger’s ring finger. Minho took the opportunity when Taemin was in dazed with the new addition on his finger and pulled him in for a peck, on the cheek.

 

Before Taemin was able to do anything at all, a wave of cheers and laughter sounded behind them. It was their happy parents congratulating each other with the new addition to each other’s family. 

 

“Thank you” Taemin heard in a small voice before Minho went over to the parents.

 

—— Back to the present time ——

 

Greeting the morning, Minho turned around on his side, expecting to see his little husband when he was faced with nothing but an empty bed. That immediately made Minho jolted up from their bed despite heading to bed only at 4am.

 

“TAEMIN!!!”


Instantly the door to their bathroom slammed wide open. 

 

“WHAT?? WHAT IS IT??? WHAT HAPPENED??” asked Taemin with his toothbrush in his hand. 

 

Minho leaped off their bed before giving his husband a crushing hug. 

 

“OOWF! MINH-HO PA-PAIN!!!!” screamed Taemin.

 

“OH! I AM SORRY I THOUGHT I LOST YOU” cried out Minho as he pulled away to have a good look at the younger. 

 

“What? Did you wake up at the wrong side of the bed or what??” while surpressing the happiness he could feel blooming on the inside.

“I-I j-just” 

“Can we talk later? Cause I am kinda busy right now?” as he gestured to the tooth brush in his hand. 

“Oh! Oh okay sorry! Do you need any help? How did you get in here by yourself??” 

“I supported myself against the walls, I need to pee so...”

 

Minho took one last look at his husband before leaving the bathroom to give the latter some space. Minho was on his phone when he heard the bathroom door opening with his husband having a towel in his hand, drying off the water on his face.

 

“I am done!” exclaimed Taemin and the younger let out the smile he remembered since he was 7 and the memories he recalled last night came back to him in an instant. 

 

I am glad I said yes to grandpa, thought Minho.