2.1: Lil’ School

My First, My Last

 

  

A little continuation from Part 1...

 

 

“To the next room...? I figured this would be your room instead, I can use the next...” and soon he was out of the room.

 

Looking at Taemin’s confused expression made him confused too but he couldn’t really grasp on why the younger was seemingly surprised at his actions. Taemin who was left alone in their supposed shared bedroom finally realized what happened and what made Minho did what he just did. Without Minho’s parents around, there’s not a need for them to share a room anymore and the older was doing what he thinks Taemin wants. 

 

Neither the one in the shared bedroom or the one in the next room got the sleep they need for school the next day. 

 


 

 

 

 

 

5:25am

 

Without much sleep, school still needs to be attended. Minho dragged himself to their supposed shared bedroom from the one he was in to get washed up and ready for school. Still not getting used to the fact that this was his house, his new marriage house, his house with his other half, who is, now, still in deep sleep with only up till his nose poking out under the sheets. The line of moon ray that pokes through the window makes the younger looked almost angelic before Minho caught himself admiring the angel he couldn’t scream as his. Minho shook his remaining sleepiness away and made his way to the bathroom.


What he didn’t know was that someone was already awake the moment he opened their bedroom door. Taemin can’t help but feel the sink his heart made before lifting himself up.

 

The light was on when Minho stepped out of the bathroom in only a towel and immediately had his hands over his chest when he caught sight of Taemin looking towards his direction.


“Uhhm...” coughed Taemin before looking away. The scene replaying itself in his head. His husband sure has something amazing hidden under those clothes these whole time and he was not about to let anyone else see it.

 

Minho hurriedly went to their wardrobe and put on his uniform. Only when he heard the lock on the bathroom door did he let out the breath he didn’t know he was holding. No interaction or conversation took place the whole time and soon they were out for school.

 

The young couple was nearly late with them still getting used to the way they need to get to school from their new house. Minho barely made it on time just before his teacher arrives a heartbeat after he took his seat.

 

However, luck wasn’t on Taemin’s side. He was caught right in front of his classroom building which is a little further away from Minho’s and being the infamous school rebel he wasn’t getting on it smooth.

 

"Lee Taemin, late again I assume? What’s your excuse this time."
“Teac.."

 

Taemin was then brought up to the teacher’s office where he is more than familiar with, with his constant visit here. 

 

“What a way to start the week...” grumbled Taemin. 

" What did you say...,"asked the grumpy disciplinary in-charge.

“N... Nothin-“ when he was being cut off by another voice. 

“Taemin?” and the owner of the voice was no other than their principal, who is now walking towards them. 

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in class?”

“I was... Until I was late before reaching my building... Believe me! I was really not going to be late! But!...” 

“Then why are you the only one late? Where’s your
hus- I mean Minho” asked the principal who nearly slipped his tongue.

 

“What do you mean? Why would Minho be late wi-... Ah!” only then did he remember what his father-in-law told him at their family dinner just last week. 

 

He was supposed to join Minho’s class and the joining starts this instance. Taking over from the discipline master, the principal walked with Taemin for a few, wishing him good luck in his new class.

 

“Don’t get too lovey-dovey in class, I may not be able to cover that up when it gets out! Hahaha!” as the principal leaves Taemin on his way.

 

Perks of having a principal who knows about Minho and himself, “If there’s only such things to get worried about...” thought Taemin before he reaches the classroom door of his new class. 

 

Taking a few deep breaths to calm his pumping heart, not because he was late or it’s new class. It’s because this is going to be his class from now on and it has Minho in it.  He would have hated it so much a week ago but now he doesn't know what’s this feeling he is feeling now.

 

Finally, after what left like hours when it was in fact only 2 minutes, Taemin lifted his small and gave the door a small knock but loud enough to be heard. Turning the knob as lightly as he could, Taemin took his step into the classroom where 30 pairs of eyes were on him.

 

“Oh, Taemin? What matter brings to you to this class? asked the teacher who stopped her class at the interruption. 

“I... Uhm... I” Taemin was shuddering, and the school famous rebel never shudders.

 

He walks further in as he quickly scanned the classroom and spotted the very pair of eyes that is causing this unknown feeling in him right now.  And that pair of eyes is obviously showing signs of confusion and shock at the same time.

 

Directing his attention back to the teacher, Taemin
answered “I am joining this class from today onwards, the principal said so...” 

 

“Ah! Oh ya! Look at this memory of mine! Yes yes, it totally slipped through my mind! Yes yes!” exclaimed the teacher.

 

Taemin was able to take a good look at the class when the teacher was laughing at her own forgetfulness and shock was written on all of the faces. 

 

“Since the class has started just take a seat at the empty seat behind Minho first for the time being Taemin” and off he goes.

 

Being the school rebel himself, attention like this is just a daily thing so it was easy to be ignored. However, what can’t be ignored was a pair of deer eyes that never left him the moment he stepped into the room. One that belongs to his husband. Those pair of eyes were sending apologetic signals to him as he walks by. 

 

“He must have forgotten about it too,” thought Taemin after taking his seat.

 

Taemin barely paid any attention at all, not in this new class that he is still not used to it and especially not when right in front of him was the back of someone who he might or might not have seen upper half just this morning.

 

.

.

 

The bell rang indicating it’s break time. The students stepped out of the classroom with their group, all the time being wary about Taemin’s presence at the back of the room. Taemin was very silent the whole time that Minho, almost forgot the younger was just a turn away.

 

He was putting his things away until, 

 

“Uhm,” did he heard a softer voice at the back of his head. 

Minho slowly turned behind to see the beautiful face he saw just this morning, at home. 

“Sorry, I forgot that you were supposed to join my class from today on...” Minho starts.

“It’s-" 

"Minho!"

 

Taemin was being interrupted by a someone calling out to Minho before 2 guys started walking towards their direction. 

 

“Aren’t you going to eat? Come on!” as one of them gave Minho’s shoulder a pat before directing their attention to the younger one.

“Oh, you must be the famous Lee Taemin... Minho you know him?” questioned the other. 

 

3 pair of eyes were on him now before Minho stood up.

 

“Haha, he is Lee Taemin, isn’t he. I mean... I mean who wouldn’t know him. Ha! Let’s go” 

Grabbing his two friends, Minho left the room.

 

Taemin knew that Minho was just sticking to their agreement of not knowing each other in school. He knows. But he can’t help it, he can’t help but find himself feeling a strong sense of hollowness the moment Minho left him. Closing the door behind him while his friends walk ahead, Minho was sure he saw a dampen look in Taemin’s eyes but he wasn’t quite sure why. 

 

There was no way... it couldn’t be because of him... right? It couldn’t be...

 

While Taemin was known for being a rebel, leaving him with no friends, Minho was well-loved in school, girls or boys. As the school’s basketball captain, Minho naturally holds a strong sense of responsibility and that applies in his studies too. Personality wise, just perfect.

 

.

.

 

The moment Minho arrived at their school’s cafeteria, the school heartthrob was swarmed by greetings but Minho was nowhere near the mood. Taemin, was the only thing in his mind the whole time. However, his mood didn’t take his appetite away. Minho made his way to the school bakery to get his favorite bun, for the hunger he knows will come later. 

 

Teasing him were his friends, “The ever so hungry Minho with that same old bun!”

 

.

.

 

Minho’s mood dampen further when he saw a small figure leaning on his table. 

 

“Did he stayed here the whole time...” thought Minho as he walks over to his table in front of the younger.

 

The bell rang sounded indicating break end and that’s when Taemin looked up from his table to see his other half looking at him intensely. 

 

“O.O ... Do I have something on my face...” he whispered just enough for Minho to hear. 

“N-No” the older stumbles on his words.

“Where did you had your meal? I didn’t see you at the cafeteria...” carefully he asked.

 

Even though he was still in dazed from his sleep, he can feel a tingling feeling in his stomach. Minho knew he wasn’t there, Minho noticed his absence.

 

“I didn’t. I was here the whole time.”


"What? You should have eaten something... We didn’t have anything before leaving the house this morning a-
 

“Minho” calls out Taemin, “It’s okay, I‘ll just eat afterscho-“ and this time the interruption came in the form of a grumbling stomach.

 

Trying to swallow down the laugh that was triggering to come out after hearing a tiny stomach grumble, Minho retrieved the bun on his table and placed it on the younger’s. 

 

“Eat this then” 

"It’s o-"

“Eat”

"But-" 

“Back to your seats everyone!”

 

.

.

 

With minimum interaction the young couple had, school was over. Even though nothing was said, Minho and Taemin knew they were supposed to head home together. However, the problem was with Minho’s friends who stick to him like a magnet.

 

“Minho! We are going to a new cafe I discovered just yesterday! A new barista came in and she sure looks like your kind of tea. Come on!” 

 

Minho would sometimes join his friend for a little hanging out at a nearby cafe but today was not it and definitely not after what was said. His friends were urging for Minho to join them while he was packing up. Being just behind the older, there was no way he didn’t hear any of those, especially the barista part. 

 

Yes, they were married but their marriage wasn’t done out of love, thought Taemin.

 

Decided that Minho deserves his time away from him too, Taemin slowly made his way out of the classroom. Seeing his husband walking out all alone made Minho speed up his action. 

 

“I am not interested guys... And besides, how do you know my type?” and ran out instantly.

 

Taemin turned around at running footsteps before he saw Minho halt at a comfortable distance as he slowly follows behind the younger. Taemin looked around to check their surrounding before having his head lowered to let out a smile.

 

The distance was kept throughout their walk out of school and only when Minho was sure that they were out of sight did he close up the distance. 

 

“Hey... Why didn’t you wait for me...” while stealing glances sideways.

 

“I assumed that you would be hanging out with your friends” while leaving out the barista word in his sentence.

 

“Why would I?...Uhmm... It should be this way!” as he walks ahead to guide them on their way home.

 

.

.

 

“I am going to wash up first,” said the younger while leaving Minho to lock up their front door.

 

Minho made his way to the kitchen and started preparing dinner while his husband was bathing. A pleasant aroma greeted him the moment he stepped out from their room while having a towel to wipe dry his hair. 

 

“Oh? You made dinner?” 

"You are done? You are just on time. You didn't eat much at school today so dinner should be a good one."

 

Taemin felt a skip in his heart.

 

“Eat up,” said Minho before starting to walk out of the kitchen.

 

“Wait!” as Minho his steps at the calling.

 

The voice continued, “Ar-Aren’t you going to eat too?” 

 

“I can eat later after you are done” thinking that Taemin may not be pleased with his presence during his meal.

 

“Eat” and Minho was out of the kitchen into their room to wash up. 

 

The food was nice but the overall atmosphere and mood wasn’t. And that night, Taemin was sleeping in their bedroom alone with Minho using the one next to it once again.

 

.

.

 

The daily routine goes on with Minho coming into their shared bedroom to see Taemin still sleeping every morning and never failed to think what a blessing sight that is while biting back the bitter feeling that it was not his to keep. Despite living under the same roof, the young couple barely talks, mostly just awkward greetings that lead to awkward interactions that repeated itself over the week.

 

.

.


At last, Friday greets. 

 

And Taemin kinda has a love-hate relationship with this day of the week. Friday may be the last day of school but it’s also the day he has physical education. The change of class didn’t really affect that part of his lessons because whether if he was in his previous class or now, he shares the same timeslot as Minho. And nope he doesn’t hates P.E because of Minho, he just hates P.E.

 

Strangely, the day passed quickly and soon, it was time for the final class of the day, P.E. Taemin was taking his own sweet time changing into his P.E attire and by the time he made his way to the field, class has started.

 

“...ing to be track and field today so split yourselves up in teams! Move it!” as instructions were given out.

 

Being the popular one around, everyone wanted to be in the school basketball’s captain’s team while Taemin’s team forming didn’t really work out that well.

 

Taemin ended up with the team with the least amount of team members at that moment. With 4 teams on hand, the teams took their places on the starting point and a track relay went on. Taemin may not be the sporty kind but he wasn’t expecting the other teams to do worst.

 

Thanks to Minho, his team came in first while Taemin’s team came in second. This naturally led to a final round to determine the winner, a round between the 1st and 2nd group.

 

Minho’s group decided to save the best for the last with them having Minho as the last player while Taemin naturally became the last player of his team just because he was standing the furthest away from the starting point. Being Mr. Popular, the girls in their class gathered by the side to cheer on Minho’s team, more specifically, Minho. 

 

“Minho-yah! You can do it! Beat those losers! You can do it! You are the best!” chanted the girls.

 

“Thank you,” said Minho before going back to his stretching.

 

“....!” and did those turned into a fiery motivation for Taemin. 

 

“He is taken for god sake,” thought the younger as he let out an angry puff. 

 

Taemin was so determined to win this meaningless competition.