1: Hmm...

My First, My Last

 

 

 

Taemin and Minho have been married for 6 months but other than the principle, no one else knows and they both would like to keep it that way. Because Taemin still hates the idea and... He hates Minho too. Why? Well, simple. That’s because it was Minho who said ‘Sure’ that this marriage happened...

 

Minho stopped school for 1 year before Taemin joined so they’re in the same year but different class. Even though, they don’t share the same class, they do have one common lesson together and that’s physical education. Taemin might be an active rebel but he is no friends with sports.

 

.

.

 

School has started a month ago when their marriage has reached its 5th month. The two of them will only be staying together in another 2 months time because their house wasn’t going to be ready by then so Taemin only has to avoid seeing Minho at school on weekdays for now.

 

“I told you not to talk to me in school didn’t I”

 

Taemin was mad but his eyes wouldn’t rest on checking up their surroundings in case someone sees him with their school team captain just a cm away. 

 

“But you weren’t replying me neither were you picking up your call and we are supposed to leave in like 5 minutes.”

 

A little hurt, Minho can’t help but feel anxious when Taemin didn’t respond and they were supposed to have a family dinner with both sides of the family today. Taemin rolled his eyes at the existence by his side that is indeed his other half.

 

“How old do you think I am? Like I would run away?”

“Well, you nearly did, before I managed to spot you leaving through the back gate when the car is waiting at the front?”

“Whatever”

 

.

.

 

The dinner was pleasant, just talks between the two families about their company and recent hobbies when Mama Lee got reminded of something.

 

“Oh, the house completion has been carried forward so you two are ready to move in next week!“ 

“WHAT” screamed the younger of the couple.

“I thought it was in 2 months time??”

 

Seeing how agitated her son got, Mama Lee responded calmly.

 

“I guess they got their work done faster than they have expected~!” 

 

To make things worst, in came Papa Choi announcing what nearly made Taemin empty his stomach. 

 

“And Taemin will be joining Minho’s class starting next week!” 

 

.

.

 

Finally, it was the weekend of their move. Unlike Minho who was excited about the new place, Taemin was nowhere near glad at all. Packing only minimum pieces of stuff that he needed, he arrived at the door of his new place, already planning on an escape route in his head or an excuse to run home.

 

Praying that Minho wouldn’t be here as he enters the house, all hope went out the window when he heard someone talking, seemingly from a room. It was Minho who was a step ahead of him as always.

 

“Yes mum, but you know how much Taemin resents me so if you don’t see me tomorrow, do find me in this house, I am probably murdered. I am just joking... Ha... Ha... See you tomorrow mum” 

 

Taemin slowly turns away from the door room and managed to walk away enough for Minho to not caught on that Taemin overheard his conversation. 

 

“Oh, you are here. Hmm... Taemin... Erm...”

“Spit it out”

“My mum kinda wanna make sure that... You know... Since we are a married couple now... We should be... Sharing a...room... like together?”

 

Taemin froze. He saw this coming but still, he wasn’t ready for it.

 

“My parents will be coming over... You know just to make sure things are settled down for us... Like tonight and they will be staying over for the week too...” 

 

Taemin was still trying to register what he has just heard.

 

“In-Laws, amazing ones, but still in-laws. Staying over for a week. Share a room with Minho.”

That’s how Taemin’s mind tidied things up for him.

 

Taemin nonchalantly walked back into the room where Minho came out from and stood in front of their double bed.

 

“So which side?”

“Huh?” 

“Which. side. is. my. side. of. the. bed”

 

Trying so hard not to let out the delight he is feeling right now, Minho went “Any side is fine.”

 

He drops his bag by the cupboard with a straight face as he walks further into the bedroom. 

 

Your loss” before he flopped himself down on now his side of the bed and turned himself over so that his back was facing Minho. Minho held his breath, not expecting Taemin give in easily.

 

A good 1 minute or so has passed before Minho decided to call out to his husband. 

 

“Taemin... Hmm... Where would you... You know... Like your thing to be placed? Is this side of the wardrobe okay for you?... Taemin...?” 

 

Silence. 

 

He slowly walked over to Taemin’s side of the bed only to see a beautiful boy dozing off to dreamland in a blink. This was the second time he tried to suppress a smile that is threatening to come out in this very room, he switched on the fan in the room and being as careful as he could, he placed a blanket over the sleeping boy. 

 

“Guess unpacking will have to wait,” Minho slowly closes the door behind him as he makes his way to the living room. 

 

Little did he know... Someone who was supposed to be asleep was not asleep at all and is aware of how the fan was now and how the blanket got onto him.

 

Taemin woke up after really to have fallen asleep and it was already mid-afternoon. He could smell an aroma the moment he opened the room door and followed after it. 

 

Oh! You are awake? I am just about done” was Minho in a mint colored apron looking at the still half-asleep Taemin. 

 

Sipping on the stew Minho made, Taemin had to admit that he’s glad homecooked food is still happening in this house. Without himself realizing, Minho was staring at his other half with a mutual expression.

 

“You are staring”

“Oh? Oh! Hmm... I was wondering if it‘s to your liking...?”

 

Taemin took a glance at Minho before continuing with his meal. The late lunch went on with no conversation shared until Taemin was done with his and got up to leave. 

 

“I am going to unpack” before he walked off to their room, leaving Minho with the dishes.

 

When Minho was done, he went to their room to continue off his postponed unpacking when Taemin was already seen placing his things around the room, at his desired places. There’s was basically nothing much at all. 

 

“You don’t really have much nothing huh” asked a curious Minho.

 

Thinking whether he should ignore or reply, he decided to go what his mind desire and went, “I am not staying, at least not for long.”

 

Minho didn’t expect that so he stood silent. It wasn’t long before Minho let out an “Oh...” in response and decided to leave it that way. Mid-afternoon turned night and with Minho’s parent coming over tomorrow, the young couple decided to call it a night. 

 

Calling it a night means sleeping, sleeping means bed, bed means sharing a bed with Taemin and he was NOT ready for that. Unlike Minho who was contemplating for a good 5 minutes while Taemin was showering in the bathroom, the younger nonchalantly walks in with his wet hair in a what Minho didn’t expect the other to be wearing, a set of pajamas. Drying his hair with just a towel Taemin flopped down onto his side of the bed before getting to his phone. Minho decided that he should stop being in stun and wash up too. Coming back into their shared room, Minho can’t help but start to fidget around the room. 

 

“Can you please stop fidgeting and get in the damn bed” Taemin snapped with his back facing Minho.

 

Figured that it would be best to tuck in early too(and not to trigger any more rage from Taemin) before he got onto his side of the bed next to the smaller one. Trying to maintain a distance with the one beside him, Minho ended up lying with both his hands on his stomach. Minho was about to fall asleep after hearing a soft breathing going on beside him and his side when the body of the said breathing turned over too while adjusting his position, with his face just centimeters apart from the other. A loud heartbeat sounded the room. After calming down his fragile heart, Minho took this opportunity to take a proper and close look at his now, another half. His small nose, long eyelashes, chubby lips and, vague philtrum.

 

“Beautiful” did Minho thought soundlessly.

 

Morning came but the young couple showed no sign of getting up before a huge knock could be heard a few meters away. Minho’s phone started ringing on the nightstand but the said owner showed no intention of stopping it at all. Being half awake, thanks to the ringing phone, the smaller one, with his small hands lifted directly above Minho, he drops it in one go, effectively triggering out a cough from the older.

 

“Your damn phone is ringing. Either you stop it or it’s going to be your breakfast today”

 

 

Well, that was effective. Minho was up in a beat with his phone to his ears, “He...llo...” did he answered with his obviously still half-asleep voice. 

 

“Oh wow son, we were just trying our luck before letting ourselves in,” responded Mama Choi.

 

“...But we figured that it wouldn’t be nice if we did since you know you could be in bed and you know with Taemin...” did she continued. 

 

“Mom, good morning. Just give me a second, I will be at the door soon” as Minho lifted the blanket up from himself upon ending the call.

 

Minho was about to get up when he felt the pain at his stomach once again, before remembering the devil who did it. The older turned around to only witness another cute sight of the younger back to his dreamland after his attack. There he goes again, staring without him realizing before a loud knock shot through his ears, reminding that his parents were down there waiting for him since forever. He decided to leave the young one to sleep while he gets his parents.

 

“What took you so long? I thought I was going to have myself grown into a tree by your door” exclaimed the mother. 

 

“Seriously mom... It’s like 8 in the morning...” as Minho lets out a yawn in his bed hair. 

 

“Well, we were excited my son, to see how our lovely couple is doing!”

 

As Papa Choi puts the things his wife brought over for the newly wedded, he looks around before asking, “Where’s your husband?”

 

And there we have, a bright smile growing on Minho’s face as he suppressed it into a shy one.

 

“Dear, did you bring my sunglasses our little sunshine here is blinding me with his smile right now” teased the mother.

 

“Mommmm” whined the said son before going “I’ll go get him” as he walks off to his bedroom, leaving his parents to unpack. As quietly as he could, Minho let himself into their shared bedroom once again, witnessing a peaceful sight. 

 

He decided that he should wake Taemin up since his parents were here but he really doesn’t know what’s the best way to do it without getting another blow from the younger. He decides to be as soft as he could on his voice and went, “Taemin... Taemin-ah... Taemin...?” 

 

 

No response. 

 

He went over to Taemin’s side of the bed to realize how small the younger look, all curled up under the blanket. Giving a little nudge at the shoulder, Taemin turned over so he was facing Minho now. Minho seized his actions before letting out a breath that he didn’t realize he was holding. Taemin peeked through his right eye to see a Choi Minho standing in front of him.

 

“What time is it...” 

“8...”

“Who was on that phone...”

“Mom...”

 

Taemin’s eyes flew open and in a heartbeat, he was seated up on the bed.

 

“...” 

“I figured that they would come today since they didn’t turn up last night but I wasn’t expecting it to be this early...”

“Do you always do that?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you always stand so still and just... stand still??”

“Erm...” 

“Nevermind...” 

 

Taemin helps himself off the bed, still half-asleep, he didn’t realize how Minho held his breath when the young one walked pass him SO closely. 

 

.

.

 

Seeing that there was no other existence in the room after he was done washing up to meet his in-laws, Taemin figured where Minho would be before heading out. 

 

“Oh Taemin is here” announced Papa Choi when he noticed the boy walking towards them in the living room.

 

“Good morning Mr-“

Sshmp-!” 

“Good morning mom... dad.” 

“That’s our boy”

 

Reminding himself to work on the calling, Taemin gave the two elderly a hug. He may not be 100% happy with the marriage but the Chois are definitely good in-laws to have. Minho might or might not have skipped a heartbeat when Taemin was greeting his parents. 

 

“Come on, sit down” as Mama Choi pats the seat in between Minho and herself. 

 

Settling himself in the awkward position in between the mother and son, Taemin joins in the family talk.

 

“Soooo, how was your first night?”

“MOM!”

“What? I was asking how your first night in this new place, what is going through that dirty mind of yours Choi Minho?”

 

His position may be awkward but Taemin is surely enjoying the hilarious atmosphere here. Minho noticed the lack of baggage his parents had with them. 

 

“Dad, where are your bags? I will put them away into the guest room” asked the son as he looks around for his parents’ baggage.

 

“Oh, here,” says the father before passing his son a really small bag. 

 

“That’s all?” asked Minho while weighing the bag in his hand, “How is this enough for a week?”

 

“Hahaha, you thought we were really going to stay for a week? Son, what are we going to do when you guys go to school the day after?” says the mother.

 

“Oh? I thought...” as Minho scratched the back of his neck, looking confused. 

 

“It will just be one night and a Sunday and we will be off. We wouldn’t want to disturb you newlyweds, do we dear?” teased Mama Choi while nudging at her husband. Taemin was silence throughout and didn’t realize he was ‘tricked’ into sharing a room with Minho but strangely he wasn’t feeling at all mad.

 

“Then, let me take your bag into the room” offered Taemin before he retrieves the bag from Minho’s grip. 

 

“So far so good?” voice turned worried as Papa Choi asked his son, very well-aware of the newly wed’s situation.

 

“I guess...?” feeling unsure was the new husband. 

 

“It takes time, he is a nice boy and a nice son-in-law to have,” as the father comforts his son.

 

Night came and the two retreats back into their shared room after greeting Minho’s parents good night. 

 

“Thank you,” says the older as the new couple lays side by side on their bed. 

 

“For?” 

“For being nice to my parents, doing this and just everything...”

“They are my parents now too you know”

“They are...?” 

 

Minho did not see this coming. 

 

“What weird question is this? Did you not hear me calling them just now? Or was I too soft Minho?? Just sleep already, we got an early breakfast to have with mom and dad tomorrow.”

 

Oh, he sure does wants to sleep, but his heart might have a mind on its own and only when did it calm down that he got a few hours of sleep... 

 

“Yah... Yah...!”

“YAH! CHOI MINHO!” and a kick follows. Minho was still half asleep when he realized he was on the floor. 

 

“Wake up already you sleepyhead! Your parents are getting ready already!” 

 

And that’s how Minho got his bittersweet morning call from the younger. Minho peeked through his heavy lids to see that very person who was the cause of his insomnia, having a dull expression. Picking himself up from the floor and blame it on the sleep, Minho didn’t realize he was staring at the younger until Taemin started to walk towards him with a worried expression.

 

“Hey... You okay?... Did I kick too hard...?” heard in a timid voice. Come out from his daze, Minho got a good look at Taemin one more time. 

 

“A...Ah! No no, it’s fine! Just tired. I will go wash up now!” before disappearing into the bathroom. 

 

Well, that was kinda cute, thought Taemin.

 

.

.

 

When both were done washing up, they hurriedly joined Minho’s parents in the living room before heading out on Papa Choi’s car. The old couple can’t help but steal glances towards the backseat while the younger couple was looking out the car on their respective sides. Leaning slightly towards her husband, Mama Choi whispered.

 

“Don’t they make a lovely pair...” 

“They sure do” responded Papa Choi before glancing towards his son who now has his eyes on the younger.

 

Minho accidentally met eyes with his father and knowing that look, he knew he was caught staring at Taemin by the older before looking down shy. Papa Choi let out a laugh that caught Taemin’s attention who looked curious through the rearview mirror.

 

.

.

 

The family decided to go with some pancakes for breakfast. 

 

“Mom, can you order a pancake with sausages for me? I will be back from the toilet shortly” asked Minho before leaving. 

 

“May I take your orders?” asked the waitress.

 

”One pancake with sausages and...” ordered Mama Choi before she turned to look at Taemin to see if he has decided only to be stared back with a surprised look from the younger.

 

“How did you know that I was going to order that...” asked a surprised Taemin. 

 

“Oh? That was for Minho, he got me to help him with his order before using the toilet. Hahahaha seems like a couple sure shares the same taste. Can we have 2 of that then please” went Mama Choi after having a good laugh.

 

Taemin didn’t know how to respond but that doesn’t mean his heart doesn’t. It was beating rather quickly then it was supposed to, Taemin knew that. A bright smile was still seen on Mama Choi’s face when Minho returned. 

 

“What’s the topic about?” as he sat down beside Taemin.

 

“Oh nothing, just something adorable happened” laughed the mother. 

 

The waitress came with their orders and Taemin definitely didn’t miss the look in her eyes when she saw the 4th person that wasn’t there when she was taking their orders, on his phone. Taemin doesn’t know why but one thing for sure, he is not really happy about it. 

 

“Pancakes with sausages?” asked the waitress in a not-so-subtle flirty tone. Minho raised his hand only to realize another smaller hand up by his side too. 

 

“Didn’t I say something adorable happened? Hahaha” added Mama Choi before starting her meal. 

 

Intentionally being slow with her actions, the waitress took a good look at Minho and she tried her best to get the latter’s attention too. However, Minho was too busy at the moment, trying to figure out if him having the same food as Taemin was something to give himself a high-five for, or should he just be cool about it. At the same time, Taemin may or may not have cleared his throat to hint ‘Get lost’ at someone. Taemin excused himself to use the toilet when he crossed path with the said waitress before he was being called out.

 

“Hey you are from that table aren’t you? See, I am kinda interested in your brother so I was wondering if you could help this noona out and give me his number..”

 

Contemplating whether should he just walked off or give her a ‘wake up call,’ Taemin knew he had no intention on giving out his husband’s number. 

 

That’s right, Minho is his husband. 

 

“Noona...” he started off before looking straight into the pair of hopeful eyes. 

 

“Sorry to burst your bubble but he is taken” before walking off. 

 

Taemin stopped in his tracks before turning around to look at the confused looking waitress, “Noona? Screw what I said just now about him being taken. He is married.”

 

“Well, that felt nice,” thought Taemin before settling back into his seat next to his husband. 

    

Stealing a glance to his side, Minho was gobbling down his food, stuffing his mouth full, not minding at all about the world. However, what Taemin didn’t know was that someone has witnessed that whole scene happening while trying to cover up the shattering sound coming from his chest with his munches. 

 

.

.

 

With the young couple stepping into their house with two extremely different thoughts going through their head, the house was filled with silence while Minho locked the doors. Taemin realized after the incident with the waitress that he might have always had a soft spot for Minho in their short time of marriage, it was just him that keeps on pushing that feeling away. Standing by the door while Minho locks it up, trying to think of something to say, Taemin found himself admiring Minho’s side profile that he never once took time to pay attention at. 

 

“Wow” did he let out an exclamation that he didn’t realize he did.

 

“Hmm?” questioned a confused looking Minho before walking pass the younger.

 

With his mind filled with the scene he saw at the food place, Minho wasn’t really in his high spirit to be around the younger, at the same time thinking that the latter may not want him around too. The afternoon went by in a blink and the sun has already given way to the moon by the time the young couple was done settling their things that were left undone in the new house. 

 

 Taemin knew that he no longer needs to be in the same room as Minho, moreover share a bed. Still, he doesn’t see himself moving his things out from the room. He doesn’t see himself moving to the next room after his shower either but naturally, walk towards the side of his bed.

 

With the same thought running through his mind the whole afternoon, there seems to be a dark cloud hanging over Minho the whole time and only when Minho asked, “Why are you still here?” did the younger realized something was off. Taemin who was on his phone while lying comfortably on his side of the bed looked back in confusion at the older.

 

“What do you mean ‘why am I still here’?” before a worried frown started showing on the younger.

 

“I mean... You can use the oth- Ah, I’m sorry I should have-“ and instantly Minho was seen retrieving his pillow from their shared bed with another thin blanket from their wardrobe.

 

“Wait, where are you going?” Taemin asked, now seated up on the bed.