.02

in the name of love

Throwback to 2 years ago: 

Jennie was late.

Late to her first day of her new school. 

 

I hate hate hate hate myself, she thought as she sprinted her way along the long fence that encircled the school towards the school gates. 

 

The school bell began to echo in the distance, signalling that first class had started.

 

Shooooots, Jennie silently cursed in her mind, splashing the puddles that had formed overnight from the rain.

 

I’m going to have to wash my uniform again tonight to get rid of the wet stench, she cursed again.

 

She darts towards the school gates in the distance. She becomes more and more relieved as she sees herself approaching the school post in her view. With no thoughts of slowing down as she approaches her destination, she makes a rapid turn around the corner post of the school gates. 

 

In hindsight, Jennie should have known that running full speed ahead on a rainy day was a very very bad idea. Yet somehow, subconsciously, she must have wanted to fulfil her middle school dream of sprinting for the track and field team at that very moment.

Her new attempt at fulfilling her athletic dream was very quickly debunked as she slammed head first and collided into something… or rather, someone. 

 

Jennie curses herself for the millionth time that morning as she feels herself falling down, back first.

She braces herself for the fall. Eyes, fists, clenched tight.

 

Jennie waits.. but strangely she doesn’t feel herself falling, nor does she feel pain.

 

Confused, she slowly releases the tension from scrunching her eyes closed. It takes a couple of seconds for the blurry image to restore itself to clarity, and she slowly realises that another pair of eyes were staring at hers. 

She lets out a fairly unattractive yelp, and notices that owner of the pair of eyes also had his hands sturdily wrapped around her upper arms. 

 

Jennie, now in utter shock was unable to piece the puzzles together. Flustered by the sudden close proximity with another person, Jennie took a clumsy step back and flailed her arms around.

 

Thinking back, she must have looked like a flailing octopus to him. 

 

//

 

The strange guy releases her and starts laughing while ruffling his fringe. At first, Jennie couldn’t help but be angry. 

How dare he laugh at me, she thought as she looked back up towards him. The words she prepared to say never left as she observed how a slight dimple formed on the left side of his cheek as he scrunched his eyes up. His entire face lit up. It was the brightest smile Jennie had witnessed in her entire life. Completely mesmerised, Jennie unknowingly started laughing with him. A good minute lasted before she shockingly realised that she still had a class she needed to attend.

 

“Uh, thanks for saving me. A-and I’m sorry for crashing into you” she quickly apologises, looking into the eyes of the boy who was still laughing once more before she sprinted towards her class.

Realising that she still didn’t know what class she was placed in, she quickly fumbles for her phone and sees 10+ unread messages.

 

 

Conversation: 

Jisoo: we’re in the same class we need to celebrate tonighttttt

Jisoo: you shall worship me… your best friend for having to put up with you for another year 😂

Minutes later:

Jisoo: Jennie 

Jisoo: where are you!!!!

Jisoo: !!!

Jisoo: girl! 

Jisoo: hellooooooo

Jisoo: first day of school and you’re late? did you spend the entire night fangirling over iKON’s debut or something....

Jisoo: you did do that didn’t you? 

Jisoo: okay okay, we are in class 1-2. good luck

 

Bless Jisoo, Jennie thought as she runs up the stairs and dives into her class. A panting Jennie finds Jisoo slyly smiling and waving at her. 

“Got you didn’t I? Homeroom teach just stepped out of class to get some print outs. You’re lucky. He looked nasty.” Jisoo said in a matter-of-fact-tone. 

Jennie flicks Jisoo on the head before collapsing onto the seat beside her.

 

“I’m exhausted... “Jennie pouts

‘Yeah.. and wet” as Jisoo starts giggling 

“Shut it”

 

 

Jennie proceeds to turn towards the class windows and gazes at the school gate area. She wondered which class and what year that guy was in? She blushes as she recalls his smiling face.

 

“Hey Jisoo..”

“What”

“I think I may have a crush on somebody”

“Yeah yeah…” as Jisoo turns around to face Jennie, expecting the same usual grin on her face. Shockingly to her, she did not expect to see a flushed and blushing Jennie.

“Wait, oh my god, this is for real?”

Jisoo grabs onto Jennie’s hands. 

“Who is the lucky guy? I’ve been trying to set you up with guys forever but you said you’ve never felt anything”

Jennie blushes another crimson of red.

“I don’t even know his name. I met him this morning” she buries her head into her arms

“And I made a fool out of myself too ..” she weakly whispered

 

 

 

“Boys and girls, quiet!” the homeroom teacher announces his return to class. 

“I see we have another student who joined us since I was last here!” the older man exclaimed as he turns to stare at Jennie

Jennie grimaced, as she prepared herself for a huge lecture.

 

At that moment, the doors to the classroom slid open once more, a familiar figure steadily walked into the classroom. Shocked, Jennie followed the figure’s movements with her head. 

 

The familiar male walked up to the teacher, did a 90 degree bow before apologising.

 

“Sorry I was late. I got lost trying to find the classroom” he spoke calmly.

 

The teacher let out a sigh,

“Just take a seat. Don’t be late again.”

 

The familiar male walked towards the remaining seat at the back of the class. Seemingly unaware of the attraction he had gotten since his arrival. He slowly took out his notes and pencils before facing the teacher again.

 

The teacher clears his throat. 

“How many times do I need to yell to get your attention!!!

Students these days” as the middle aged man began his lecture

 

 

 

//