.12

in the name of love

The Finale:

Song recommendation while reading: iKON’s Adore you

 

 

 

The upcoming national holiday happened to fall on the weekend. And Hanbin used this opportunity to ask Jennie whether she wanted to come with him to visit the temples this year, and before she could even ponder about whether it was technically classified as a date or not, she had already nodded and agreed. 


In the midst of a busy crowd, Hanbin waits for Jennie to arrive at their designated spot - a small shrine in the midst of the packs of people bustling around with their companions. The first snow of the year had just started to fall just days before, covering the streets with a glistening white, and so the weather was colder than normal. The breeze was harsh against Hanbin’s exposed skin. As Hanbin anxiously awaits for Jennie, he nervously rubs his two hands, hoping that the friction would bring about some sort of warmth to his uncovered hands. A breeze suddenly whirls itself through the crowded street, causing Hanbin to shiver, and he proceeds to tuck his head into his thick-red scarf.

 

I wonder where she is, Hanbin thinks, as he shivers against the cold draft of wind. 

 

 

Hanbin feels a tug on his oversized padded jacket, before he hears a familiar voice. 

“Sorry to keep you waiting”

Hanbin turns around to see Jennie. It was strange to see her in clothes other than her uniform, he noted, before realising that she was shivering against the cold herself. 

 

“This should keep you warm” Hanbin says, as he encircles his thick red scarf around Jennie’s exposed neck. He had unwrapped it around his neck and was now adjusting the same scarf around Jennie’s neck, lightly tugging on it to ensure that it was secured.  

“It suits you” he says as a small grin forms on his face.

Jennie quickly thanks him, before coughing and drawing his attention away from the flush of crimson red that spread across Jennie’s face. Before she could ask him what he normally does during his visits at the temple, a mass crowd of sightseers usher around them, ignoring the reverence that should be kept in the spiritual area.

 

 As the crowd attempts to skip the queue, they end up pushing Jennie out of the way, and towards Hanbin in the process. As she struggles to squeeze herself out of the mess, Hanbin grabs her hand and begins directing her towards a more vacant area - a small unpopulated sight-seeing area that allowed visitors to oversee the brightly-lit city lights and buildings in the distance -  that was safely encircled by a wooden rail. 

 

As the two of them look at the city lights in the distant night sky, Hanbin initiates the conversation. 

“To be honest with you… visiting the temples … it was an excuse” as he uneasily turns around to face her, habitually rubbing the nape of his neck in trepidation, as his clear dark-brown eyes bore into her own. 

Jennie holds Hanbin’s gaze, puzzled. 

 

 

This is for you” 

 

Hanbin says as he reaches in his pocket for his phone with a set of pre-attached headphones and placed it her hands. He gestures her to put the earphones in before circling around her to press ‘play’ on the device. 

 

 

A song starts playing:

 

   As I live, I met you and made lots of memories

   I tried to hide my true feelings as we got closer 

   Knowing that a burning flame can go out easily  

   You’re the kind of person whom I don’t want to lose in my life 

 

   At boundary between love and friendship

   We’re facing each other, yet we’re cautious

   Even when beside you, when you’re soundly asleep 

   I can only tell you that I adore you 

   Before taking a step back 

 

While Hanbin patiently waited for Jennie to listen to the entire song, Hanbin sneaked in a couple of looks at Jennie’s face here and there, in an attempt to read her expressions. 

 

As he waits, the chorus of the song begins:

  To be honest, I adore you

   I really like you, I really do 

   Just hold on to me tight

   So that I can hide these feelings of mine*

 

 

A tear runs down Jennie’s cheek as she looks at Hanbin. A mix of overwhelming emotions of relief and happiness rushed through her as she struggled to put it into words. 

A set of fond memories flashback through Jennie’s mind as she recalls the years of yearning. 

The years that her heart fluttered, as it still fluttered, just thinking of the boy who smiled so brightly that one day. 
The years that she went to school early every single day just to catch extra glimpses of the beautiful, mysterious boy. 
The years that she admired and idolised his talent, unknowingly. 

And most importantly, the memories of this past year flash by. Memories of how she finally truly got to know the boy she dearly adored, all his gentle gestures and thoughtful actions that showed he truly cared. 

 

The boy with a bruised and battered heart from his past, the kind boy who is easily misunderstood,  the boy with a heart of gold whom continually does his best for the group he swore to achieve his dreams with. 

 

Those hidden emotions crashed down onto her as it finally -  finally - hit her. 

That the boy she loved so much, loved her back too. 

 

 

 

 

 

Once the song reaches an end, she slowly removes the headphones. Jennie opens to say something, but Hanbin grabs onto one of her hands and they lock gazes - conviction present in Hanbin’s eyes. 
 

In a low steadied voice, Hanbin says:

“To the me who stopped believing in everything, you shone light into my life like the sun. 
You splashed colour into my grey, washed-out world for the first time in forever.”  

 

Hanbin looks at her ever-so-seriously, and continues:

 

“I was cautious. 
I came to adore you, so much, that I didn’t want to lose you. 

I’m also no fun… I get immersed in my work… 
I built walls between myself and others.. and raised barriers in my heart. 

But can you accept my selfishness this once,
And be my last greed within this life.**

 

Will you accept me?” 

 

 

 

 

Jennie does not reply, tears b in the corner of her eyes. 

Instead, she simply grasps tightly onto Hanbin’s hand that was already holding onto hers, leans forward, and swiftly pecks his soft heart-shaped lips in response. 

A familiar crimson shade flushes over her near-frozen cheeks as she everts his gaze right after and smiles in nervousness. 

 

Hanbin fondly smiles in response and caresses the side of her face. 

 

Slowly but steadily, Hanbin’s face approaches Jennie’s as he softly kisses her forehead. He then backs away slightly, tilting her head upwards slightly with his other hand, before tenderly landing his lips onto hers.  

 

 

They continue holding onto each others’ hand throughout. 

And they never let go.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End.

 

 

S/N: 

* slightly modified lyrics from iKON’s Adore You 

** Hanbin’s rap lyrics in iKON’s M.U.P (Make You Proud) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Final Note:

Thank you for reading til the end. I truly appreciate each and everyone of you. 
It’s been a while since I’ve last written anything so I know for a fact that I am lacking, but I thank each and every comment. You have been more than gracious and lovely. It has truly been quite a journey, awkward at times, but a very rewarding one. 

Lastly, a special thank you to my friend who convinced me to start writing again after years. I don’t regret it one bit. Truly.
I am honoured and grateful.

As a fan of open endings, my planned ending was here when I began this writing journey. But I have written somewhat of a special feature which is up next.