epilogue

ghost of you

[2 years later]

 

A peaceful silence was what Nayeon woke up to, ready to welcome a new day of life.

The first thing her eyes spotted was a bright ray of sunshine entering from the curtains of her bedroom which she had left semi-closed the night prior, a habit she hadn't been able to get rid of yet.

The morning light swiftly laid on her unmade bed, precisely on the space next to her who was now occupied by two sleeping dogs. 

Nayeon smiled, it was rare to see Bbosong and Nanan in such a calm state and she knew that the moment the duo would wake up, her peace would be over.

 

Yet, she didn't mind.

 

After having a shower and eating a quick breakfast, she tried working on a new article her boss had assigned her, the task resulting more difficult than she had thought when she found herself being distracted by two beaming dogs who had just decided that working was useless and that she needed to play with them.

And Nayeon, being the softest for her two pets, couldn't help but give in, forgetting all about her article. 

However, their playtime was soon interrupted when someone knocked at the door and Nayeon didn't waste any time before getting to her feet and go open the door, already knowing who would be at the other side.

 

The second her girlfriend entered the apartment, she was jumped on by two very excited dogs, the sight bringing joy to Nayeon's heart more than anything else ever could.

 

"Are you ready to go?"

 

Nayeon simply nodded her head at Momo's question, even though it still hurt her to admit it, she had stopped running from it years ago.

 

"Bbosongie, Nanan, it's time to go visit your Mommy." 

 

The two dogs only barked eagerly before following their owner.

 

 

-                                             

 

 

Nayeon had thought that eventually, she would have gotten accustomed to visiting Jeongyeon's grave, yet two years had passed and she still couldn't stop a feeling of sorrow to form inside her stomach every time she was reminded that Jeongyeon was gone and she wasn't coming back.

 

She missed her. 

 

She missed her so much that sometimes she still felt like she couldn't breathe if she wasn't by her side.

 

However, Nayeon had learned to move on from the pain that had consumed her for four long and exhausting years and she was now able to cherish all the memories Jeongyeon and she had built together, knowing that there was no way she was ever going to stop loving Jeongyeon.

 

There would always be a part of her heart ready to welcome Jeongyeon's warm memory.

 

She had understood that it was impossible to stop the pain, that no matter what her heart would always ache when she would be reminded that Jeongyeon's wasn't with her anymore.

But Nayeon had also understood that there was nothing she could do about it and Jeongyeon wouldn't want her to spend her days crying about it, wasting her chance at life.

 

If there was one thing she had learned from Jeongyeon's death, it was that life is unpredictable and unfair and that sometimes you wake up for the last time without even knowing it. 

So instead of wasting your precious time, you should live every day like it's your last so that you won't have any regrets left.

 

 

"Did you regret it, Jeongyeon-ah?"

 

 

Nayeon often thought about the answer to that question, hoping that Jeongyeon had been able to leave without regrets, that she had left with only peace in her heart.

 

She watched as her two dogs quietened down in front of the grave of who had once been their owner.

 

She still remembered the day she had visited Jeongyeon's family, a simple visit that she had avoided for four years, afraid that she would break down in front of those who had raised the love of her life.

The moment she had walked into their house the two dogs had run to her, recognising her perfume.

She remembered vividly her parents asking her to take care of them, as Jeongyeon herself wished and Nayeon couldn't do anything but accept their request.

Now, every time she woke up or came back home after work, she would find them waiting for her happily, moving their tails in anticipation.

Every time she had to fight back tears, the two of them always reminded her of Jeongyeon.

 

Sometimes it was like she was still there with them, watching over all three of them.

 

And Nayeon thought that she would be happy about how they were doing.

 

 

She liked to believe so.

 

 

 -

 

 

Every Sunday, she would still meet up with Jihyo at the woman's favourite cafe. 

It was funny how it had now become Nayeon's favourite one too.

 

Perhaps, it was because that was the place where she had met Momo and there was no way she would be able to forget the day she had started loving again.

 

And maybe she should be thanking Mina, for bringing her best friend along on that warm sunny Sunday afternoon, and Jihyo, for telling her to stop being a scaredy cat and find the courage to ask her out.

Maybe she had to thank Momo for being the beautiful person she was and for giving Nayeon space and time to heal before accepting to go on a date with her, for making always sure that they weren't moving too fast and that Nayeon was ready for a new relationship, for staying up on the phone with her every night, listening to Nayeon's insecurities without complaining, not even once.

 

Sometimes she would fall asleep unintentionally, but Nayeon didn't mind it one bit. 

 

She liked falling asleep to the sound of Momo's breathing. 

 

But mostly she had to thank her for listening so attentively to her when she told her about Jeongyeon and hugging her so tightly as soon as a tear left her eye. 

 

So tightly that Nayeon finally stopped feeling alone. 

 

 

That was the day when she finally stopped hurting once and for all. 

 

 

-

 

 

Nayeon had lost so much when Jeongyeon died, she was sure that a part of her had left with Jeongyeon six years ago and she would never get it back.

 

It had taken her so much to move on from all the pain that seemed to be chaining her to the ground, making the world seem so distant.

 

The same pain that seemed to be clouding her sight like broken glass blurring her life, pulling the world away from her. 

 

It was like she had been living in a lie for four years without realising that the world around her was changing, while she was stuck at the same point replaying the same day, the same pain, over and over.

 

Until she broke the chains and got back on her feet. Until she opened her eyes and saw what her life had become like.

 

That's when she started running away from everything and everyone. When she destroyed everything she had clung onto all those years of lies.

 

She was hurt. She was devastated.

 

But most of all, she was alone.

 

When she had to face the fact that Jeongyeon was really gone, she couldn't help, but feel like she had just fallen into a pit of loneliness where there was nothing but silence.

 

She thought she would never be able to crawl back up to the top, to wake up without feeling like a part of her heart had just been torn apart, to see the light.

 

But she had been wrong all along.

 

Because without even realising it, every time she visited Jeongyeon's grave she made a step towards the end of that black tunnel that had brought her into misery.

 

When she woke up and saw Bbosong and Nanan next to her, the happiest of smiles would appear on her relaxed features and her heart would be warm.

 

When she had met Momo, her life had brightened up again, she had found the light and she had stopped feeling alone.

 

Nayeon had suffered much, maybe even too much, but now she was happy again.

 

 

 

And she wouldn't want it any other way.