Chapter 2

Complicated

Chapter 2

"Ugh!" I groaned when I felt someone pushed me out of the bed. "Five more minutes." I sleepily said.

"Aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!" Someone shouted. 

I jolt up awake from the scream. I looked around my surroundings and realized that I'm not in my room. My eyes widen when my eyes landed on Jessica, wearing her nightgown. I don't know what I'm more surprised of, the fact that I woke up in her room or seeing her in her nightgown.

"What happened?" I asked halfawake. 

"What happened?! How would I know that?! I fell asleep alone last night, and now, you're here! What on Earth are you doing in my room?!" Jessica asked in an angry manner. "Are you some kind of a ert?!" 

"Yah! I'm not a ert! I don't even know how I get here!" Seriously this woman. Calling me a ert, so judgemental. "Aish! My hurts!" I groaned. 

"What do you mean you don't know how you got here?!" Jessica, once again, yelled at me. 

"Can we stop yelling at each other?" I calmly said while massaging my head. All the screaming made my head hurt.

Jessica looked at me trying to analyze me. When she finally realized I'm not a threat, she dat down on the bed and massaged my head. 

"I'm sorry I pushed you out of the bed. I was just really surprised to see you with me." she apologized. 

I laid down in bed, closing my eyes while feeling Jessica's hands massaging my temple. It was so soothing that I'm falling asleep. Jessica shook me and that waked me up.

"I'm sorry. I should've told you, I sleepwalk sometimes. You should really lock your bedroom door next time." I chuckled. 

I may have forgotten about the fact that I sleepwalk. I should've told Jessica the first time she slept here. My bad.

I yawned and stretched out my limbs. Normally I would have stayed in bed until noon, but I can't do that right now. I looked to my right and I saw Jessica looking at me. 

"What? Do I have something on my face?" I asked her curiously. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I'm just thinking," she sighed. "You saw me in my nightgown."

"It's not that big of a deal, Jessica." I got up and removed my shirt. I don't have a bra so I'm left with my pyjamas shorts. "Now you saw me half-."

I looked at Jessica and smirked. Her face is turning red and I decided to head out of her room. After I closed Jessica's door, I felt my cheeks heat up. I've never done that before in my whole life. I've never took my shirt off with another person in the room.

"Holy wow! That was something new." I muttered to myself once I entered my room. "You're getting stupider every moment, Kim Taeyeon." I cursed myself. 

I went outside my room after I fixed myself. Coincidentally, Jessica was just getting out of her room at the same time. This is awkward. I thought. 

"Hi," I waved. "Fancy meeting you here, fully clothed." I dumbly said. 

"Are you always like this?" she asked with her blank face on.

"By like this, you meant me using humor as an escape of awkward encounter?" 

"Was that humor to you?" she crossed her arms while leaning on the wall. "I thought humors should be funny, I didn't find it hilarious." 

"Only few gets my humor," A thought suddenly went inside my head. "While we're at the subject, nobody knows this, but I'm looking for someone who gets my humor." I told her while whispering. 

"And you think that will interest me?" I looked at Jessica and she has her eyebrows raised. Is she annoyed?

"No," I clicked my hands together. "But, that would bring us away from the awkward incident this morning." I squinted my eyes and looked at her. "And I think I just ruined it again."

I can see Jessica's stare turning into a glare. And that made my palms sweat. I'm used to Sunday mornings with just me in the house. I'm still not used to her here. Fortunately, my phone buzzed and that ended my staring contest with Jessica.

"Yes, babe?" I answered my phone. 

I can see Jessica was taken aback by what I said. I excused myself from Jessica and made my way into the kitchen.

"Busy? Me? Of course not," I waved her off as if she's in the room. "Anything for you, baby."

I can feel someone staring at me, when I turned around, I saw Jessica looking at me intently. As if she caught me cheating on her.

"I'll call you later, babe... No... I'm not trying to escape from you... What?... No... Yes... I'm not cheating on you... Who even told you that?... You shouldn't believe everything Sunny says,... I'll talk to you later, there's a dragon inside the room... Okay, bye, I love you, too!" I ended the call. 

"I thought you were single?" Jessica said while making herself and I a breakfast. "Do they know that I'm here?" I can tell from her voice that she's upset. I can't help but laugh. "Why are you laughing?" 

"You assumed I was single. I never said I was or wasn't." She can just ask me if she wants to know. "And to answer your question, yes, they do know you're here. And to answer your second question, I was laughing because I find it funny." I saw her rolling her eyes and that made me grin. 

"So?"

"So, what?" she rolled her eyes once again. This is fun. 

"Are you single or what?"

"Why?" 

"I want to know whether I'm living with someone who has a jealous lover or something. And I want to know if I'd possibly walk in with you making out with someone." She looks like a jealous lover right now. "Why are you grinning like an idiot?" That made my grin wider. 

"You sound like a jealous girlfriend right now."

"How did that sound a jealous girlfriend? It was reasonable."

"Okay, okay. To answer your question," I paused. "I've never met my match, yet."

I don't know if my mind's playing games with me, or I just saw Jessica breathing a sigh of relief. Eh, must be my mind.

"So you've never had someone before?"

"Well, I've been into relationships if that's what you're asking."

"Oh,"

"But after my last relationship, I've decided to stop. Getting into a relationship is really physically draining, if you know what I mean." I can see Jessica's face turning red and that made me chuckle. "And mentally draining. I've been in a lot of relationships, but now? I'm just gonna wait for that person that I clicked with. You know?"

"Yea, I understand where you're coming from. We're the same actually." Jessica set up the table. She puts the food in the table. Pancakes and waffles, why am I not surprised? "After my last relationship, I just got tired of the same thing happening."

She got that one right. I got tired of the same thing happening with my love life. I find someone interesting enough to be in a relationship, but then I never felt that 'love' that everyone's talking about. I've been a lot of relationship just to feel that, I'm selfish I know. But, even after doing all that, I still haven't found my match.

"That was Seohyun. Seo Juhyun, but she prefers Seohyun. Don't ask me why." I spoke after a moment of silence. "She's my hoobae. I call her babe or baby to annoy her."

"Oh," she continued eating her breakfast. "President of the student council?" 

"Yes! So you know her?" she nodded. 

"I'm the secretary of the student council." I coughed on what she said.

"So, that's why you're familiar!"

I can see Jessica rolling her eyes at me. This woman really has an eye problem. She's been rolling them ever since this morning. 

"Do you even know what's happening inside the campus?" she asked me, her voice full of venom.

"Hey, don't judge me. I know the president of the student council, that must mean something." I argued. 

"Meeting her inside the library without knowing her position in school doesn't count." she bite back. 

I paused and thought for a comeback. How does she know about it?

"So you really met her in the library?" she asked shocked. "Wow! I was just guessing, but based on your reaction, I guessed it right." Jessica has a boastful aura when she said that. 

"I'm not good with people, okay? I'm too shy to initiate a conversation." I groaned. 

"But you talked to me first."

"Well, you're a special case." I blurted out without thinking. My eyes widen when I realized what I said. "I mean, you're a different case. Not the special different case. You're something else. Oh my gosh, is it hot in here?" I rambled. 

I heard chuckling in front of me, I turned my head and saw Jessica giggling to herself. 

"I'm gonna go take a shower. It's getting hot in here. Later!" I run off to my room and locked it. 

------

I'm walking around the school ground with my earphones on when I saw the vice president of the student council. It's funny how I know the president and the vice president yet I didn't know the secretary. 

"Hey," The vice president greeted me. "Thank you for giving us a hand for the recent event." 

"It was nothing, Seohyun asked for a favor and who can say no to that kid." I shrugged. 

"No, but really, thank you." She gave me her famous eye smile.

"It's okay. It's not that big, I accepted the job because the supposed photographer was not available that time. And I don't want the student council to look bad to the whole student body." I explained. 

Last weekend, Saturday, the student council had this event including the whole Junior and Senior year in college. They invited the Junior and Senior students, but they're not obliged to go. It's only for those who are willing. They're going to this community service where they're gonna help a local organization that helps young children/homeless people. They hired a photographer to document the whole event, but, the said photographer cancelled the last minute.

The truth is, I didn't have any plan on going to this said event. If it hadn't for Jessica calling me the last minute, I wouldn't be at the event capturing their moments. I remember Jessica begging me to go to the said event. 

Flashback 

What's the most special thing about a Friday night? A peace and quiet evening with yourself. Just you and yourself. And a bunch of superheroes you're watching on Netflix.

"Legends of tomorrow, you're next on my list." I said in a villain-y voice.

I was about to press play when Jessica stumbles inside my room. What is she doing here? Isn't she supposed to be on her best friend's dorm preparing? A lot of questions has invaded my mind. 

"I know I promised a peaceful evening, but, I need you." she said in one breath.

I looked at her in disbelief, with my eyes wide open and mouth hanging.

"Is this a comeback for ruining your peaceful slumber that time last week?"

Jessica has this thoughtful look on her face. I am sometimes worried on what's going on with that head of hers. 

"Okay, considering you owe me, then yes. This is how you'll repay me." she leaned on my door frame and crossed her arms. "You're going to be the photographer for our event tomorrow."

"What?!" I screamed in disbelief. "I wasn't even planning on going!" I opposed. 

"Change of plans. You're going." Jessica said one last time and then shut the door. 

Evil! 

End of flashback 

Yes, that was her begging me to go. I didn't tell the vice president about it 'cause I don't want Jessica to look bad. I just told her that it was Seohyun that asked for a favor to cover the fact that I was dragged by Jessica. 

"You're really kind, Taeyeon." Not at all. "I'll see you around."

I watched her walk away from me. I continued my journey walking around the school grounds when I felt someone bump me. When I looked to see who it was, I saw my friend Yuri from my Economics class.

"Yul!" I greeted her.

"I didn't know you were close with Tiffany," she teased. 

"I'm not. We just knew each other from my past class. She was my classmate." 

"You know, if you like her I can arrange something for you." she shared and I shook my head. 

"I'm not really looking for a relationship right now." I shrugged her offer off.

"You can still date her, you know. Just try it." she pleaded. 

"Why do I feel like you have an ulterior motive?" I looked at her with squinted eyes and shook my head. "Count me out on whatever you're planning, Yuri."

"Wait, no, listen." she grabbed my arm to stop me from walking away. "I really like her best friend. And the only way for me to get a date from her best friend is when Tiffany's there. You get me?" 

"So? Bribed Ms. Hwang to hang out with you and her best friend then." I started to walk away again only to be stopped by Yuri. 

"Please, Taeyeon. Fany doesn't want to go unless she has a date herself."

"Invite Hyoyeon, then." I shrugged. 

"Taeyeon, please? I'll do your research paper for you." That made me stop walking.

I've been stressing out on my papers that are due next week. This is a good deal. I guess it wouldn't hurt. 

"When and where? Your treat 'cause I don't want to waste my money on ridiculous dates." I quickly said.

"Thank you, thank you!" Yuri lifted me up and I hit her on her arms. It's embarrassing. "You don't have classes on Wednesday, right?" I nodded my head on her question. "Then I'll pick you up tomorrow night!" she said while walking away. I shook my head on my friend's embarrassing display.

I continued walking on my own, without any interruptions. I decided to go to the library to calm my mind. I went to my usual spot and picked out a book on the shelf. I sat down on the floor when I picked out a book. 

"I knew it! It was you!" Someone whisper-yelled behind me. "Fancy meeting you here."

"Shh," I shushed her. "This is a library not a bar."

"Right," she kept mum beside me after that. 

I can feel the intruder trying to make a conversation with me. I can feel my lips turning upwards by what she's doing. She opens and then close it again. I decided to end her misery. 

"Yes, Sica-ya?" I turned to her direction. "I've noticed that you've been trying to open your mouth, yet closed it again for some reason."

"I don't want to bother you. You said to be quiet and I was trying to be."

"When did you ever listen to me?" I asked amused. The whole time I've been with her, she never listened to me.

"Hey, I listen to you when you're reasonable." she argued. "It's your fault that you always say dumb things."

"Just tell me why you're here, Jessica." I rolled my eyes. I so do not say dumb things.

"I'm hungry. I haven't had lunch, yet." she looked at me and pouted. 

"And that's relevant to me because?" I looked away from her. She's so adorable when she's pouting.

"'Cause you're going to the cafeteria with me." she said grinning. 

"You're assuming so much. Did you think I'll say yes?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Yes, 'cause I always cook breakfast for you. And this is the least you could do for me." she said while grinning. 

"Ugh!" I groaned.

I closed the book that I'm reading and sighed. I looked at Jessica and she has this look of triumph. I giggled at her childlike attitude and returned the book on the shelf. 

"Lead the way," I said. 

------

"How famous are you?" I asked the girl across me. 

"I am part of the student council, Taeyeon. You should've expected this."

"Well, I never knew you existed before our library encounter." I countered.

"That's because you don't care about our school." she rolled her eyes and I smirked. 

"Are you offended that I didn't know you before our library encounter?" I . 

Jessica stopped eating and threw me a glare. 

"To be honest, I was relieved when you didn't know who I was. I was surprised, sure, but I was thankful you didn't know me."

"But?" I smirked. 

"How could you know Tiffany and not know me before?" she groaned. 

"It's not like I can control these kind of things. Tiffany was my classmate before, I never had you as my classmate." I explained. 

"I'm always with Tiffany." she said. 

"What's the big deal, Jessica?"

"I don't even know." she answered. "It's weird that I find it irritating when I think about you knowing Tiffany before me." I smirked at her. "What?"

"Are you jealous of the vice president?" I asked. "Do you, possibly, have a crush on me?" I teased. 

"You wish I have a crush on you. Don't even cross that line." she countered. 

"Sorry, sorry. But, you sounded like a jealous girlfriend right now." I laughed.

She rolled her eyes and ignored me for the rest of our stay in the cafeteria. The two of us walked around the mini park without speaking with each other. Passing by a couple who are fighting, I peeked at Jessica and saw her with her poker face on. I don't even know how people like her, she looks scary without a smile on her face. I thought.

"You know the difference between you and the vice president?" I decided to break the deafening silence.

Jessica stopped and looked at me. We are now in the middle of the school ground. Our eyes met and I felt an invisible lump in my throat. Jessica has this warm eyes looking at me, looking through my soul, despite her poker face.

She's waiting for my answer, I can tell from her raised brow. I opened my mouth and closed it again, that's how her intense look affect me.

"I've known Tiffany for a long time now, yet, I've never initiated a conversation with her. But with you? You already know the answer." I responded and then walked away. 

I didn't dare to turn around and wait for Jessica. What I just said was embarrassing enough for me.

-----

Tuesday night. It's here. I'm done getting ready so all I'm left to do is wait for Yuri to come. I'm home alone 'cause Jessica's with her best friend. She said they'll be having dinner out. That's actually a good thing, at least she won't know I'm going out on a date with the vice president. Jessica's really sensitive about it with an unknown reason. 

Yuri texted me that she's downstairs. I made my way outside my apartment and towards the lobby. I saw Yuri with the vice president and... Jessica? 

"Taeng!" Yuri greeted me. Jessica and Tiffany looked at my way and I saw Jessica's eyes widening. "You already know Tiffany," I gave Tiffany a polite bow. "This is Jessica, Tiffany's best friend and the one I'm talking about." I looked at Jessica with wide eyes.

"Taeyeon," I stretched out my hand for her to shake. 

"Jessica," she shook my hand. 

"Now that everyone's introduced, let's go." Yuri announced and made her way outside.

"Hello, stranger." I greeted Jessica with a teasing smile. 

"Shut up. I didn't know we'll be having a double date tonight. Tiff told me last minute." she groaned out. "You didn't tell me you're going out on a date."

"On my defense, you didn't ask." I defend. "Besides, it's embarrassing to tell you." I muttered under my breath.

I walk ahead of Jessica and followed wherever Yuri is leading us. 

"Why is this embarrassing?" Jessica asked when she caught up with me. 

"I don't know, Jessica. Maybe because of the fact that I agreed to this date because Yuri will do my reports for me." I answered her in a hush voice. "Wait, are we not gonna tell them that we already know each other? And that we're living together?" I asked.

"You want to tell our dates that we're living together?" she replied with a question. 

"We'll tell them eventually?" I asked hopefully. 

"Yes, we will. Just not right now. I kind of want you to be my secret." she said in a whisper and then walked faster to catch up with her best friend. 

------

The four of us are walking around the park near our place. We just finished our dinner, it was horrible. Jessica's not kidding when she told me that she despises it when someone likes her. She was quiet the whole dinner, which is not like her. Yuri kept on initiating a conversation but Jessica would answer her with either a nod and a shook of her head or a one or two words.

Tiffany and I on the other hand was okay. She asked questions about my life and I answered her. There was a time that Tiffany asked me if I was single and I answered in a sarcastic yet humorous way. Unfortunately though, she didn't get the joke. Jessica, thankfully, gets it and explained it to her friend.

As the time passes, I realized that the 'date' would be more enjoyable if it were just me and Jessica. Yuri kept on trying to get Jessica to talk to her. She tries so hard that it's painful to watch. Tiffany kept on talking with me but then gets confused on my way of answering, which is full of jokes.

Our table only lightens up when Jessica and I decided to talk with each other. We tried to include the other two in our conversation, but, the two always gets lost in the middle of our conversation. Which results on us explaining to them what the hidden joke was. I got tired of it and I sneakily told Jessica to pretend to get tired and asked to go home. Fortunately, Yuri and Tiffany agreed. 

"I bore you, didn't I?" The girl walking beside me asks. "I'm sorry, I'm really slow on getting jokes." she apologized. 

"No, don't worry about it. This wasn't the worst date I had so you're safe." I joked. 

"But, it is bad, isn't it?" she groaned. "I'm so sorry."

"I was kidding, Tiffany-ssi." I told the sorry girl. "I've had fun tonight. Thank you."

"No, thank YOU. I really had fun tonight because of you. I promise I'll be better on our next date." she said and my ears gets itchy with the last sentence. 

"You're assuming that there's a next time? Sorry Ms. Hwang, but, I never let anyone decide for me." I told her politely as I could. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it that way." she apologized. 

"No, don't worry about it. Thank you for tonight, Tiffany-ssi." I politely bowed to the girl.

I walked towards where Jessica and Yuri are.

"Yul, I'm going home." I announced to the two awkward girls.

"I'm going home as well, Yuri-ssi." Jessica said. 

Yuri sighed and nodded. She knew as well that the night was not going well. Fortunately, Yuri didn't insist on walking Jessica home.

"How was your date?" asked the girl walking beside me. "Please tell me it's better than mine."

I chuckled and shook my head. 

"It was as awkward as yours." I replied. "Tiffany and I just doesn't fit together."

"You and me both. Yuri and I doesn't go well." she sighed. "Why did you even agree to this set up?"

"Hey, she's going to do my research papers for me. Besides, I didn't know it was you she has a crush on." I defended. "If I knew," I whispered the last part.

The night was still young so I invited Jessica to have an ice cream with me. I bought a vanilla flavored ice cream while Jessica chose a chocolate flavored one. The two of us are walking around the area near our apartment. Our. I must've been really comfortable with Jessica now. Ever since Jessica came into my life, as cliche as it sounds; my life started changing. I've been doing things I have never imagined myself doing. 

My relationship with Jessica is an unknown one. I've never really asked her if we're friends or just housemates. Jessica doesn't even want other people to know that we're living together. I sighed. I don't even know why that brings pain within me.

"What's with the sighing?" The girl besides me asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. I don't wanna tell her. It's weird how I can't lie to her. And it's weirder how she can read me and I can read her. We've only known each other for a month. 

"Come on, you're scaring me. You're so quiet." she voiced out. 

"That's the thing, Jessica." I sighed. "I've always been quiet. I'm one of the quiet ones. The observant one. And you're making me talk. You're making me do things I have never imagined doing before. And we're not even friends." Seriously, why am I getting emotional? Stop your mouth, Taeyeon!

"What do you mean, Taeyeon?" 

"I don't even know what I'm saying. You're making me confuse." I let out a dry laugh.

"Talk to me."

I stopped walking and turned to Jessica. I noticed that we stopped in front of the public library. How fitting! 

"Okay," I gathered my courage and decided to tell her what's bothering me. "You're making me confuse. And no, it's not your fault. It's me. I would never trust anyone this fast before. I've known you for only a month and you've already know the 'me' that I never let anyone see. Heck, I've never known you before and yet I let you inside my house. I've known Yoona and Seohyun for two years now and I never invited them inside my house. I'm confused on everything that's happened within this past month. And my mind is just in shambles. I don't even know anymore, Jessica."

I stared at the girl in front of me. I can see that she's speechless. I would be too if I was her.

"I just feel like it's all moving too fast. I let you in my house the first time we met, then I let you see me for a month of knowing you. I'm scared on what's gonna happen next, Jessica." I told her the truth. 

Jessica has always wore her blank face when talking to me about personal stuff, but right now, I can see all her emotions. I caught her eyes and we're now looking into each others eyes. It's like we're talking to each other through our eyes. Another scary thing about this whole ordeal is this. We don't need words to communicate with each other.

She was about to open when my phone rang. I really need to put my phone on silent. The loud noise broke our eye contact and I awkwardly coughed while answering the phone. 

"This better be important, Soongyu." I hissed at the phone. "Where are you?... Okay, I'll be there. I'll pick you up... Love you, too." I hang up.

Jessica was awkwardly standing in front of me.

"Sunny and Sooyoung fought. She wants me to pick her up at their dorm. Do you want to go with me?" I asked the awkward girl. 

"Sure."

I looked up the sky and noticed that it was full moon. This is the first time I saw a full moon. I stopped walking and that made Jessica bump into my back. 

"Why did you st-"

She didn't finish what she was about to say as I turned towards her and kissed her. My plan was just a peck on her lips but she grabbed my neck and deepened the kiss. Basically we were in the middle of the street kissing in front of the public library. Thankfully it was midnight and there's no other people in the area.

We pulled away when breathing was a problem. I leaned my forehead on hers.

"Forgive me, but it was a full moon. I've always wanted to kiss someone on a full moon." I explained in a breathless voice.

"We'll talk later. We need to go to Sunny," she held my hand and dragged me. 

You did not like the kiss, Taeyeon. You're housemates. Don't think about it. Yes, it was hot. Move on. Stop thinking about it, Taeyeon. Stop! Oh bloody hell, I'm screwed.