Chapter 1

Complicated

Chapter 1

Taeyeon

"Class dismissed." My professor announced to the class. 

Finally! I let out a breath of relief. 

"Hey Taeng. You seem excited to go home for once." My close friend Yuri said. 

"I'm not excited. Well, just a little bit. I'm really tired the whole week, and it's Friday right now. I'm planning on sleeping the whole weekend." I said and she laughed. 

"You're really something. Most people party when it's Friday, and here you are, planning to sleep the whole weekend." she said in amusement. 

"I'm not most people." I grinned. 

"Right. I always forget about that." she said in sarcasm. 

"I'll get going, my bed's waiting for our date." I playfully said and she shook her head. 

"Okay go on. I don't want your date to keep waiting." she shooed me away while laughing. 

I waved goodbye at Yuri and made my way towards my apartment. The truth is, the thing I'm excited for is my new housemate. She moved in today. I gave her a set of keys to the house. I still can't believe I'm sharing my house to a complete stranger. 

Flashback

I was browsing the shelf for a book when I heard someone talking behind the shelf. 

"Yes, mom... I'll be okay... My friend is helping me look for a dorm or an apartment... No... Don't worry about me, mom... I'm currently staying with her... No, she can't... She's staying in a dorm... She already has a roommate... I'll find a house soon, I promise... Okay... I love you, too... Bye..."

I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I have ears, I can't control my ears. 

I peeked on the shelf and saw a girl, my age, with her eyes closed and rubbing her forehead. I looked around and noticed that it's just us two in this section of the library. 

"Are you okay, miss?" I asked her as politely as I could. I don't want to scare her away. 

"Uh, yea. Just my mom, worrying over unnecessary things." she said gesturing to her phone. My mouth formed an 'O', though I already knew that. "Thank you for asking." she gave me a small smile. I returned the gesture. 

I sat on the floor leaning on the bookshelf. I always prefer reading on the floor, I don't know why, it's just a weird habit of mine. I feel like, when I'm on the floor and surrounded by books, I can understand it more clearly. Like the books are reading me, too. 

"Are you not gonna sit there?" she asked pointing at the tables and chairs in the middle of the room. 

"And be gawked at by the students? No, thank you." I said calmly and returned to my book. 

"So you just, sit here and read?" she asked once again and I nodded. "Isn't it uncomfortable?" I sighed, this lady has lots of questions. 

"It is, but, it's worth it." I replied. "Are you just gonna stand there and watch me?" I raised a brow at her. 

"No. I'm still looking for a good book to read." she said and shifted her gaze towards the bookshelf. I rolled my eyes. 

"Don't bother. The good books are on the other side." I told her.

"How would you know? Here, I found one." she picked a random book on the shelf and showed it to me. 

"Fifty shades of grey? I didn't know you like it dirty." I said and smirked at her.

She looked at the book and her eyes widen. I can see her face flushed and that made me chuckle. 

"Just sit down." I instructed her and she obeyed. 

I went back to my book and resumed reading. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her looking at me frowning. 

"Don't frown. It doesn't suit your pretty face." I said absentmindedly.

"I'm not pretty." she said and I looked at her, her face is flushed. 

"You are. And that came from a person that never compliments anyone." I firmly said. 

That's true. I never once complimented someone with their looks, except for my family of course. Saying that she's pretty is already weird for me. It's surprising that it came from my own mouth. 

"What's your name?" she asked me trying to change the subject.

"Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon." I held out my hand for her to shake. My father taught me to shake someone's hand when introducing yourself.

"Jessica. Jung Jessica." she shook my hand and smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Taeyeon." 

"Likewise." I gave her a small smile. 

I resumed to my reading, once again. I can see Jessica using her phone, maybe trying to ease her boredom. She can leave if she wants to. I thought. I ignored her and brought back my attention to my book. I stole glances at the girl beside me from time to time, just to check if she's doing okay. I can see from the corner of my eye that she's frowning. I wonder why. 

I tried to ignore the girl and tried to focus on my book. Moments later, I felt Jessica froze next to me. I looked at my watch and noticed that I only have 20 minutes left for my break. I closed the book that I'm reading and returned my attention to the girl frozen next to me. 

"Did you see a ghost or something?" I joked to lighten up the atmosphere. "Why do you look so pale?" she snapped out of her thoughts and shook her head. 

"No. Nothing." she said and I raised an eyebrow at her. Who is she kidding here? "Okay, it's just that. My best friend's roommate is going to be back tonight. And I have nowhere to sleep." she glumly explained. 

"Why? Don't you have your own house?" I asked her, though I already know the answer. 

"I used to. But, my landlord kicked me out last week." I furrowed my brows and she continued explaining. "The one I used to live in has strict rules. If you don't pay in time, you're kicked out of the house." What a troublesome rule. 

"People actually agreed to that?" I asked. 

"Yes, in my defense, I have no choice. They were the only ones who were available that time. And then I was just late to pay for three days and then bam, I'm out of the house." she told me and I chuckled. What a weird landlords. 

"You could live with me." I offered the stranger that I met in the library. What? 

"No, I don't wanna bother you." she politely declined. Don't push it Taeyeon. 

"No, it's okay. My friends always tell me to find a housemate, anyway. So, really, you're doing me a favor." I explained. What is wrong with me? It's like my mouth has a mind of its own. 

"But," she was about to protest when the warning bell rang. 

"Okay here's the deal, I'll let you sleep in tonight. If you don't want the vibe at home, you can just back out." I offered her a deal. "Besides, you don't have anywhere to sleep tonight. So, think about it." I wrote my number on a piece of paper and gave it to her. "Call me, text me, whatever. I'll be going now, I still have classes." I waved her goodbye and rushed to the exit of the library. 

Kim Taeyeon you rascal! What have you done?!

------

I was walking on the mini park of the university when I felt my phone vibrating. I fetched my phone inside my pocket and saw an unknown number calling. 

"Yo," I greeted to the receiver.

"Uh, Taeyeon?" 

"Yea, who's this?"

"Jessica." Oh. Yea. I almost forgot about that. 

"Yes, hey. Hi."

"About your offer,"

"Don't make it sound like I'm offering something illegal with the way you talk," I chuckled. 

"I'm up for it." she said and I stopped walking. 

"You've thought about it? Thoroughly?" I asked to make sure. 

"Yes. And my friend said that it's not a bad deal as I am homeless right now." she said and I laughed at that. 

"Yea, okay. Where are you?" 

"I'm at the mini park of our school." 

Once I heard her say that, I looked around the park and saw a girl with her back on me, wearing the same exact clothes as Jessica. So I assumed that it's her. 

"Turn around." I instructed her when I'm a few feet away from where she is. 

She turned around and our eyes met. Her face light up and I'm sure my face turned red, fortunately it's night time so it's not noticeable. 

"Hey." I greeted her. 

"That's so different when you're greeting me on your phone." she said and I rolled my eyes. 

"Yo." I playfully greeted her and she laughed. "Ready to go?" I asked her and she nodded. 

"Do you have no clothes to bring or something?" I asked her and she patted her bag. 

"My clothes are all here. I'll be sleeping for practice, remember? So I'll know if I'll be comfortable or not, so I didn't bring all my things with me." she explained and I nodded.

I don't know what I would feel right now. If I would be happy if she disliked my apartment or sad if she decided not to stay there. When my friends offer to accompany me to my house, I always reject them saying that I like being alone. So it is surprising to me when I offered this stranger to live with me. Oh well, can't back down now. 

We made our way to my apartment in a comfortable silence. I think we're both exhausted, hence the silence. My house is just 10 minutes away from our school, that's one thing to appeal to this stranger. Once we reached my house, I explained to her the security protocol of our building. I even introduced her to the security guard on duty. 

"And here we are," I announced when we reached my door. "Welcome to my humble home." I opened the door for her. 

My apartment is a two bedroom apartment with two bathroom. I have a TV so that's another thing to appeal to her. My food stock is always full, as I always get hungry. 

"Wow, this is really a good place. Better than my last place." she said admiring my house. 

"Thank you." I bowed. "Make yourself at home."

I went to my room and dropped my bag on the floor. I went out and signalled Jessica to follow me, I opened the spare room and gave her the time to admire it. 

"So yea, this is going to be your room if you decided to live here." I told her and she grinned. 

"I think your food sold me off. I've already made up my mind." she said and I laughed. "I'm gonna tell my mom, she'll be glad that I won't be homeless anymore." she sai excitedly. 

"Okay. Take your time. I'll be outside if you need anything." I informed her. 

I went out of her room and decided to cook for the both of us. Her room. The both of us. Why do I feel calm about all of this? 

I was preparing the table when Jessica emerged from her room. 

"Wow! Thank you, Taeyeon!" she excitedly sat down on the chair across from me. 

I just laughed at her actions and ate silently. 

The whole night I just listened to Jessica telling stories about her old house. And I laughed at her silliness. 

Jessica and I decided that she'll move in next week, Friday. She said that her best friend's roommate will be gone next week and will come back on Friday next week. I just said yes, I needed the time to process all that's happened, anyway. I told her that I'll give her the set of keys next week before she move in. I told her I have classes that day and I'll come home late so I won't be able to help her move in. 

End of Flashback

I made my way into my front door, juggling of my keys can be heard in the hallway. It's 9:30 in the evening right now, most people in the building are either out partying or relaxing and sleeping inside the comforts of their home. 

I went inside my house and noticed that the lights are all off. Maybe Jessica's out with her friends. I thought. I the lights and made my way into my room. I can hear someone singing inside Jessica's room. So she stayed in. I thought. I rushed into my room and changed. After I changed, I made my way in front of Jessica's room and knocked. 

"Her voice is really nice." I muttered under my breath. 

I can hear foot steps on the other side of the door. I unconsciously fixed myself and cleared my throat. What the hell? Why did I do that? I asked myself confused. Not a moment later, the door to Jessica's room opened revealing the occupant in a matching pyjamas. 

"Hi." I breathed out. 

I was surprised to see her face so bare to say anything. If she looks pretty with makeup on, she looks even more beautiful with her bare face. I don't know how's that possible. I swear I looked like a frozen statue right now. I can't help but stare at her. I'm loss for words.

"Taeyeon?" she called out my name and I snapped out of my trance. 

"I wasn't staring or anything." I quickly said. "I mean, I was, but not because I think you're pretty or anything. Though, you are pretty. But I wasn't staring because of your beauty. Well, kind of, but like, not just because of that." I can see that she's stifling her laugh. "And I'm a bumbling idiot." I sighed. 

I looked at the laughing girl in front of me and rolled my eyes. I'm actually relieved that she doesn't find it weird. Or was she used to it already? With a beauty like hers, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure she's liked by both gender.

"Are you done laughing with my oh so funny embarrassment?" I sarcastically asked her. 

"Wait, give me a moment, I still haven't laughed it all out." she said and then proceeded to laugh even more harder. 

I rolled my eyes and turned my back on her, about to go back to my room. I felt her reached my hands to stop me. 

"I'm sorry. Please continue what you're about to say." she said with a blank face. 

Jessica is really good maintaining her blank face, if I didn't see her laugh before, I would think that she's incapable of laughing. 

"I'm just gonna ask if you're comfortable with everything," I started. "But, seeing that you seem to enjoy yourself, I guess it's safe to assume that you're already comfortable." I finished. 

"I am. Thank you for asking." she said, her blank face gone and replaced by a sweet smile. "It's really weird, but I'm already accustomed to it. It already feels like home to me." she stated. 

Well, it is weird. I'm already comfortable with her here in my house. Even the first time she slept here, I was already comfortable. It's like the two of us found a home in each other. Or it's just me. 

"Well, I have a pretty homey vibe, so that must be it." I joked. 

"Maybe." she said, still smiling. 

"Have you eaten?"

"Oh, yea! I already did, and I left something for you. Don't worry I didn't cook it, I ordered take out." she said and I was surprised.

"Oh, really? You bought me dinner?" I asked. 

"Yes, don't get used to it, though." she replied. "I'm going to sleep now. I did have a long day today." she said excusing herself. 

"Okay. Have a nice sleep, Jessica." I told her. 

"Goodnight, Taeyeon." she replied. 

I made my way into the kitchen with a smile on my face. That was definitely weird, but, I didn't care as of the moment. And dinner for me? I've never had someone do that for me, except for my parents because that's given. 

This is gonna be a long year. 

-------------

"So, you're telling me you're not living alone anymore?" my best friend, Sunny, asked me. 

Sunny and I are at the coffee shop, 10 minutes away from my apartment. She has been busy the past week so she arranged for us to meet today. I decided to tell her about Jessica and I's situation.

"Don't make it sound like it's a big deal. It's not that big of a deal." I said in nonchalance. 

"Yea, it's not. It's not like I haven't offered to stay with you or anything. No, it's not that big. That's just so normal for you, Taeyeon. Not at all a shocking news." she said, words full of sarcasm. 

"You have your own dorm. She doesn't." I rolled my eyes. "And besides, you and my mom always nags me about a housemate. Jessica's living with me now, problem solved." I drank my remaining coffee. 

"And you've decided this for like what, a minute?" she rolled her eyes. "I'm not saying it's not a good thing. I'm really happy that you're not alone in that dark and gloomy house. But, don't you think it's a bit abrupt?" she voiced out her concern. 

"I get where you're going, Soongyu. But, with that little time I spent with her in the library? I was already comfortable with her. Just, have faith on my judgement, okay?" I tried to assure her. 

"Okay, I'll trust you with this." she finally let it go. 

"Thank you." I grinned at her. 

Sunny and I spent our time talking about what happened the past week. Sunny shared that Sooyoung, her girlfriend, has been busy as well. Hence the reason why she meet up with me. Half way our discussion, my hoobae, Im Yoona, joined us. She's a year younger than us, but she always hang out with us. She said that she'd rather hangout with mature people than the immature ones. 

"Yah! No talking about your romantic partners while I'm here." I warned them. "Not all of us are lucky in the love department." I murmured.

"It's because you never go out, unnie. You're always cramped up in your room. Or if you're not at home you're at the library." Yoona stated.

"Going out is a waste of time and effort." I calmly said. "I'd rather be in bed, sleeping, than be out with loud people." I expressed.

"See? This is why you're still single, Taeyeon-ah." Sunny pointed out. "You'll never meet someone when you don't make an effort." 

"You met Sooyoung without doing any effort!" I reminded her. 

"I didn't buy that expensive food for nothing, Taeyeon." she retorted and I have no comeback for that. 

Sooyoung is known as a shikshin, so Sunny thought giving her a cake from an expensive and well known bake shop will make Sooyoung notice her. And it did work. Now they're together for almost two years already. Lucky. 

"Before you point your finger at me, I met Changwook at an event outside school, unnie." Yoona said. Ji Changwook is her boyfriend for 7 months.

"Okay, okay. I'm still not gonna go out and meet new people. It's a hassle for me." I told them. 

"We're not forcing you to, unnie." Yoona said while taking a bite from her sandwich. 

I don't need to go out and meet new people to find my person. I'm that person that always goes with the flow. If he/she is going to come, they will. I don't need to search for them. Just like when I met Jessica, I never looked for a housemate, but I found her. Jessica. Why did I use her for an example? I shook my head as if to rid that silly thought. 

And as if the universe is playing with me, Jessica strolled in the door wearing a plain white tee. Her shirt is thin that you can slightly see her black bra underneath her shirt. I saw some guys looking at her direction, more specifically, at her shirt. I stood up from where I was sitting, gaining a confused looks from my friends, and made my way to where Jessica is.

"Sica!" I greeted her, hugging her to try and block her from the erted gaze of the other customers. "Sit with us." I invited her. 

After our hug, I unwrapped my flannel from my waist and urge her to put it on. I glanced at her chest and back at her eyes to try and convey a message. She understood and quickly put on my flannel to cover her upper body. 

"Thanks, I didn't realize it was noticeable." she whispered to me. 

"Don't sweat it. What are you gonna order?" I asked her trying to change the topic.

"Caramel machiatto and an Alfredo fettuccine." she said and I nodded. 

"2 Caramel machiatto and 1 Alfredo fettuccine, please." I told the boy at the counter. 

"Would that be all, ma'am?" I nodded and gave him the payment. 

Jessica was about to protest when I grinned at her. 

"You're gonna treat me to dinner tonight." I told her grinning from ear to ear. 

"Why do I feel like this is gonna be cheaper than dinner tonight?" she groaned.

I giggled and dragged her to our table. It seems like I didn't need to introduce them to each other as they already know who is who. I found out that Jessica is a friend of Sooyoung's, that's how Sunny knows her. Yoona and Jessica knows each other since highschool. 

"Wow, what a small world we're living in." Sunny said. What a small world, indeed. 

"The world is full of surprises, don't you think?" I asked and they all nodded. 

"Oh yea! Sica-unnie? Do you know anyone named Yuri?" Yoona asked out of nowhere. 

"Yuri? The name's familiar, yes. I can't remember the face, though." Jessica answered. 

"She's a friend of mine and she saw our picture on my phone. She has this big crush on you it's funny." Yoona said while giggling. 

Whoever they're talking about is a poor soul. Their friend just exposed them to their very own crush. If it were me, I'll be very embarrassed. I shook my head at Yoona, she really has a big mouth. I looked at Jessica and saw her with furrowed brows. She does not look happy, and that made me curious.

After Jessica finished her food, Sunny excused herself to meet with Sooyoung. Yoona followed her after a few minutes. Jessica and I decided to go home after I ordered a pasta for takeout. Since Jessica hasn't organized her things at home, I decided to help her.

"Why do you look so unhappy?" I asked her without thinking. I think I'm so curious that I couldn't stop my mouth from asking. Jessica looked at me confused. "I meant about the crush thing." We are currently walking towards our apartment complex.

"Oh, that. I guess I'm not one of those girls that get excited when someone got a crush on them." she replied. "Actually, I despised it whenever someone got a crush on me. Hence, Yoona's laughing."

"Did I just invite a weird person to live with me?" I said with a thoughtful look, teasing her. 

"If you think that's weird, you're gonna be in a very-rollercoaster-like feeling living with me." she said winking at me. 

What did I get myself into?