Chapter 7

Complicated

Chapter 7

One lonely midget was walking around the school ground. It was her last class of the day. She was walking towards her home. She was walking with her head down and with her earphones on. With that, she couldn’t hear someone calling her name.

“-aeng!” An energetic average height girl bumped into her while removing her earphones in the process. “Goodness, Taeng! I told you not to listen to your music in full volume or you’ll be deaf.”

“What’s up, Hyo?” Taeyeon asked in  irritation.

She was not having a good day. First, her Economics professor was absent but left a handful of activities for them to work on. And if it wasn’t stressful enough, Yuri is ignoring her. Second was during her break time, Tiffany would magically appear wherever she is. The Vice President was like a mushroom earlier. And last, she hasn’t had the time to talk to Jessica today.

“Seohyun told me to tell you that we’re going out to eat dinner.” Hyoyeon explained. “And before you bail once again, she said that you owe her.” Hyoyeon gave her her signature smug smirk.

“Okay.” Taeyeon sighed and Hyoyeon’s eyes widen.

“Really? No objection? Violent reactions? Nada?” Hyoyeon made sure.

“Yes, Hyo. But just this once.” Taeyeon shrugged.

Hyoyeon nodded and happily clinged to her cousin. She knew her cousin needed to go out to forget a certain girl. It’s been two weeks since the “date”. As far as she knows, Jessica wasn’t staying at her cousin’s house anymore. But, as sad as it may sound, most of Jessica’s things are still at Taeyeon’s apartment.

“Do you wanna talk about it now?” Hyoyeon carefully asked. She knows that what happened before is still kind of a sore topic.

“I’d rather not if you don’t mind?” Taeyeon defensively answered.

Hyoyeon hummed dragging her cousin toward the direction of the restaurant where their friends are.

-

“You said she won’t be here, Soo.” An angry secretary hissed.

“Oh, did I? Must’ve slipped my mind.” Sooyoung avoided the angry stares she’s getting from her best friend. “Bunny! Hyoyeon my friend! You’re here! Oh, Taeng?! I didn’t know that you’ll be here.” She acted surprised.

“Oh, yea. I wasn’t planning on staying. I was just dropping off Sunny and Hyoyeon.” Taeyeon let out an awkward smile. “Here you are. I’ll see you around, guys!” She was about to walk out when someone grabbed her from her shoulder. 

“Oh my dear cousin. Did you forget our deal? You owe me, remember?” Hyoyeon sends her a glare hidden in a blinding smile. Taeyeon just nodded and made her way inside the restaurant.

Taeyeon thought of running away once again when she saw Hyoyeon turned her back. But a pair of eyes made her stay. There she was, sitting beside the hungry giant with her sad, lonely eyes. Those eyes that made Taeyeon’s heart beats fast and stopped at the same time. Jessica Jung. 

Jessica couldn’t believe it. Taeyeon’s there. In front of her seat. ‘Cause according to everybody it was the “only” seat left. Okay, maybe this is the first time that they’ve interacted in public ever since that “date”. Maybe that’s why it is somewhat awkward. She did say “no”. You can’t blame her though. She’s just not ready, yet.

“Couz!” Hyoyeon snapped her cousin out of her trance. The group of friends became awkward when they realized that Jessica and Taeyeon were having a staring contest.

“Tiffany’s asking if she can borrow your notes for your International Business class” Sunny filled her in.

Yes, Tiffany and Yuri are there. They were all nine. It was a rectangular table with Hyoyeon in the middle. Tiffany, Yuri, Sooyoung and Jessica on Hyoyeon’s left while Taeyeon, Sunny, Yooona and Seohyun are on her right.

“Uh, yea, sure. I’ll just have Seohyun give it to you. I didn’t bring it with me.” Taeyeon said.

Tiffany nodded while giving her her eye smile.

-

“Do you guys already have a partner on the anniversary ball?” Sooyoung opened up.

Their school’s anniversary ball is their only chance to ask their crushes out on a date. The thing about this ball is, they don’t pick their partner for them. Their professors do. If a student ask you out to be their date, the designated professor would be the one to decide if they accept or not. 

“Yes.” Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sunny, Seohyun and Yoona answered.

“No.” Taeyeon, Jessica, and Tiffany answered.

Awkward.

“Bunny! You already have a date?!” Sooyoung cut off the awkward tension. She knew that Sunny already has a date. She’s not worried for it as she herself has one, too. She decided to be dramatic so that the love triangle wouldn’t be awkward.

“You already have one, too!” Hyoyeon answered back.

This idiot can’t really feel anything. Sooyoung rolled her eyes.

“So, Taeng,” Yuri started.

You’re talking to me now? Taeyeon scoffed.

“Who are you planning on asking?” Yuri finished.

“Jessica.” Taeyeon point blanked said.

Jessica choked on the water she was drinking. Taeyeon smirked at what happened. I’m gonna kill you, Kim Taeyeon!

“I wasn’t finished, yet. I was going to say, ‘Jessica who do you think would be the good choice?’ You guys are not letting me finish.” Taeyeon said playfully.

“You should’ve just completed it all from the start.” Sunny rolled her eyes. Even her heart skipped a beat at her best friend’s answer. She thought lasers would come out off Tiffany’s eyes.

“Well, I’m not the one who’s going to decide for myself. It’s not like it’s the first time, though.” Taeyeon shrugged and everyone fell quiet.

“Who’s the professor that’s assigned to you?” Tiffany asked her.

“Professor Song.” Taeyeon shrugged.

Professor Song Ji Hyo is the resident badass professor in their school. She doesn’t care about your reputation, that’s why students assigned to her are thankful because she is hard to please and she listens to whom her students wants to go with.

“Oh.” Tiffany let out. She looked at Jessica’s direction because she knew her best friend is the closest to that professor.

“How ‘bout you, Fany? Who do you want your date to be?” Yuri asks her roommate.

Everyone in the table knows her answer, so they all looked at Jessica and Taeyeon’s direction.

“I have someone in mind but I think they’re going to ask someone else.” Tiffany sighed.

“Or maybe they won’t attend the ball at all.” Taeyeon answered. Everyone’s looking at her and she shrugged. “What? It’s not like it’s not an option. Everyone’s not required to attend.”

“You’re not going to attend?” Jessica, for the first time, asked Taeyeon directly.

“Why? Am I the one Tiffany’s hoping for?” Taeyeon questioned back.

“I don’t know, are you?” Jessica answered back.

“Am I?” Taeyeon directly asked Tiffany.

“What? No.” Tiffany, on her panicked state, answered.

“So you’re not expecting me to be your date?” Taeyeon asked just to be sure.

Everyone on the table looked at Tiffany, waiting for her answer. Sooyoung and Yoona, despite eating delicious foods, can’t taste their foods because of the awkwardness and tension. Hyoyeon just wants to end the night and sleep on her bed, while Seohyun remains unbothered as she’s casually eating her sweet potatoes while looking at her unnies back and forth. Sunny and Yuri are both exchanging worried glances.

“No.” Tiffany finally answered.

“Okay. Since Jessica’s the only one available, do you want to be my date?” Taeyeon asked surprising everyone on the table.

And as if fate was on their side, their professor was on the other table listening to their conversation. She stood up from her seat and walked towards her students.

“As the assigned professor of both Taeyeon and Jessica, I accept.” Professor Song winked at both of her students and walked away.

Wow! That was so cool! Sooyoung, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Yoona and Seohyun thought.

——

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon! What in the world happened in there?” Taeyeon’s best friend Sunny asked her.

“Yes, Taeng. How did that happen?” Her cousin, Hyoyeon, then questioned her.

“What?” Taeyeon played.

“Oh I’m not in the mood with your mind games, Taeng.” Sunny stated.

Taeyeon looked at the two of them and they both looked curious.

“Okay, okay, fine. I was just playing earlier. I didn’t know that professor Song was there. I was just as surprised as you.” She explained.

“But  in front of Tiffany? What had gotten into you? You know she’ll be more pissed at Jessica, right?” Sunny tried to make her best friend understand.

“Okay, maybe I didn’t think it through.” Taeyeon sighed. “But, you know, seeing her there, sitting so nonchalant and still flirting with me, knowing that she’s the reason why Jessica and I ended what hadn’t even happened yet. I guess I’m bitter that’s why I wanted to and irritate her, maybe.” Taeyeon explained.

“Seeing Jessica there again after two weeks, the events happened just replayed in my head. I missed her, you know.” Taeyeon sadly revealed.

Her cousin and her best friend engulfed her in a group hug. Squeezing her, as if to tell her that they know and understand where she’s coming from.

“You’ll get her back. Let’s just be patient about it, yea?” Sunny tried to cheer her friend up.

“Kyu, if you wanna cheer me up just buy me ice cream.” Taeyeon grinned.

Sunny rolled her eyes but dragged her best friend and her cousin towards the nearest ice cream parlor anyway.

———

Taeyeon entered her home. Looking around, she noticed that there’s something on top of her dining table. Walking towards it, she noticed that it’s what Jessica always cooked for her. She smiled at the thought of the girl coming home to cook for her.

“Honey, I’m home!” She shouted inside the house.

Someone hugged her from behind and kissed her cheeks. “Welcome home, Taengoo.”

She faced the person who hugged her and kissed her passionately.

“Mmm, I could get used to this.” She smiled through the kiss. “Why cook for me? You know we just ate dinner earlier.”

The other occupant of the room just smiled and sat on the chair. “Who said it’s for you?” She smiled teasingly. “I didn’t get to eat in my satisfaction earlier. Fany was staring daggers at me. It was so awkward, Taengoo.” She punched Taeyeon on her arms. “And you’ve got the nerve to grin the whole evening while I can’t even lift my head up because of Tiffany?” Taeyeon laughed.

“I’m sorry, I was just really happy earlier. In return, I’ll feed you.” She apologized.

“You’re lucky you’re cute.” Jessica opened to receive what Taeyeon’s feeding her.

“I love you, too, Sica.” Taeyeon kissed the latter’s temple.

——

Flashback to the end of their first date.

“I don’t think I’m ready for this.”

After those words left Jessica’s mouth, Taeyeon’s world started to crumble down. She looked at her with full of questions. She doesn’t understand why. But she knew what she’s getting into. She knew that Jessica can back out. So she nodded, lets go of Jessica’s hand and smiled.

“Final answer?” She asked again. Just to be sure, she thought.

“I’m sorry, Taeng.” She got up, kissed Taeyeon’s temple and left. Just. Like. That.

Sunny, Yoona, and Seohyun slowly walked closer towards Taeyeon, to make sure that she’s okay. “Taeng,” Sunny called out.

“Kyu,” You can hear her voice crack because of the tears she’s been holding. “Is this the feeling of pain that you all have been talking about? It hurts.” Taeyeon sobbed.

Sunny hugged her best friend, whispering assuring words. She signalled Yoona to take over. She needs to talk to Jessica. When Yoona finally took over, she pats the maknae’s shoulder and made her way to where Jessica exited. She run as fast as she can to catch up with Jessica.

And there she was, crouched down at the park bench. Sobbing. If she just said yes then this wouldn’t happen. Sunny thought. She approached the bench quietly. She sat down with a thud, though, to let her presence known.

“I’m sorry, Sunny.” Jessica broke the deafening silence.

“Why are you so weak, Sica?” Sunny bluntly asked. “That’s the first time I saw the midget cry because of her relationship. I don’t know if I should punch you or thank you for it.”

“Thank me?” Jessica was confused.

“You know, for finally making her feel.” Sunny sighed. “I won’t ask why you did what you did, but I’m asking for reconsideration. If this is about Fany, I can help you with that.”

“How?”

“Tell me the whole story. Don’t be afraid. I won’t judge.”

And so she did. Jessica told her the story of her and Tiffany’s past.

“It was junior year, Tiffany liked a guy since freshmen year. But I didn’t know who it was because she won’t tell me. Fast forward to Junior prom, a guys asked me to be his prom date, I didn’t care about prom to be honest, but you know reputation and all so I said yes. The guy has the reputation of being handsome with full of mysteries. When Tiffany heard about it, she got mad at me.” Jessica sighed. “Turns out that handsome mystery man is her mystery crush. She said that he’s always flirting with her. And I stole him from her. But I swear I didn’t know. Yoona told me that the guy was using Tiffany to be close to me. Tiffany sees it as betrayal.”

“I tried to fix everything with Fany. I did everything. Senior year, there was a transferee. He got my attention. We even started dating. But then I saw Tiffany, she was lonely. I talked to her, and she cried. She said that I always get what I want without even trying. That she always needs to fight for everyone’s attention while everyone gives it to me willingly. I felt guilty. I didn’t know that she was feeling that way, she was always happy.” She chuckes dryly. “She said that she knew Siwon, he was from America and that they had a summer fling. Summer fling before our senior year. Once again, I hurt my best friend.”

“And that’s why I always give up on the people I like.”

“But, it wasn’t your fault, Jessica.” Sunny said.

“But if I hadn’t said yes, then there would be no problem at all.” Jessica sighed.

“If she had just told you who it was then it wouldn’t happen at all. If she just opened up about that guy then you would’ve known.” Sunny tried to explain. “But that’s all in the past. You’ve all grown. You’ve already given up a lot of times for her, so fight for Taeng this time.”

“But, I’ll feel guilty if she got hurt.” Jessica said.

“To be honest, I don’t think she really likes Taeyeon, or anyone you’ve ever liked. I think she just wants to see how much power she has over you. Taeyeon and her has known each other since we were freshmen. But she just recently liked her, when the two of you had a group date with Taeng and Yul.”  Sunny told Jessica about what her and Sooyoung has been talking about.

“What?” Jessica asked her confused.

“What I’m trying to say is, you’re giving her power to control you. Remember Nickhun?” Sunny tried again. “You gave up on him when you saw her cry and got angry, right? But what? After two weeks or a month, or when you finally stopped giving your attention to them, she just randomly broke up with him?”

“She’s still my best friend.” 

“I knew you’d say that. Call Fany. Cry as hard as you can and tell her that you like Taeyeon so much.”

“What? Why?”

“I’m kidding.” Sunny laughed. “Just call her and say you know that she likes Taeyeon that’s why you stopped whatever the hell is going on with you two.”

“What’s your plan, Sunny?” 

“Trying to let her taste her own medicine.” Sunny evilly laughed but then coughed. “Bummer! I almost perfected my evil laugh.” Jessica laughed at that. It was quite funny. “Oh, stop laughing. Let’s get you home and try to make it up to Taeyeon.”

End of Flashback