Chapter 8

Complicated

Chapter 8

I’m on my way to the café where my friend – Yuri – wanted to meet up. I think it’s already long overdue. I was just waiting for her to talk to me as I don’t know how to approach her due to our situation. I never really told her about my situation with Jessica before as I never really know how to tell her. And as well as the fact that we never really had the time to talk.

 

Seeing her text message to me last night was a huge surprise to me. Meet me at the café near our school. We need to talk. I’m not really nervous about our meet up. It was a relief as she started to avoid – ignore – me after my date with Jessica. I think she already know about us.

 

I sat at the seat by the window. I’m at the second floor of the café; the view would at least be good when she suddenly decides to fight me. I’m kidding!

 

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” Someone behind me said. It was Yuri.

 

“No, don’t worry, I just got here.” I said.

 

Silence.

 

Was it uncomfortable? I think so. Our eyes never met. We looked like idiots.

 

“I’m sorry about Jessica.” She said breaking the silence.

 

“I guess you already know about that.” I said.

 

“Tiffany’s my roommate you know. She can’t stop talking about you guys.” She said and I raised my eyebrow.

 

“What’s she saying about us?” I asked her with eyebrow raised. I’m starting to get irritated by Tiffany. If it wasn’t for her, Jessica and I could be freely dating by now.

 

Yuri looked at me, gauging for a possible violent reaction. Although I may look calm in the outside, I’m already starting to get frustrated in the inside. I can’t help but blame Tiffany for it.

 

“She’s crazy about you, you know that right?” she stated.

 

“What do you want me to do about that information, Yuri?” I asked.

 

“Just give her a chance.” Is she ing serious right now?

 

“Do you hear yourself right now? Are you ing serious, Yuri? I know she’s your roommate and all but, really? Are you guys going to stoop that low?” I asked questions after questions.

 

I was feeling really guilty about Yuri earlier but I think all the guilt I felt flew out the window when she said that statement. And here I thought she’s my friend. I was feeling guilty because I sort of dated the girl she has a crush on.

 

“Just, hear me out.” She pleaded.

 

“No!” I raised my voice. “You know I never felt something for someone before, you knew that. I had relationships, yes, but you know they never gave me the feeling of love. But let me tell you something, Jessica gave me that. I finally felt something for someone, Yuri. And she felt the same!”

 

“Tae—“ I cut her off.

 

“No, Yul. You don’t understand. I finally found my person. The same person I was wishing to the moon and stars, to the sun, to the ing galaxy! She finally came true.” I felt tears stream down my face. I didn’t even realize that I was crying.

 

Yes. Jessica is that special to me.

 

I can see Yuri’s face softened.

 

“I know.” She sighed. “Why did you think I gave the idea of us up? I knew ever since our group’s date. I saw the two of you kissed in front of the public library.”

 

“Then why?” Yuri offered me a tissue to wipe my tear streaked face.

 

“If you’d just let me finish, you would’ve known the reason by now.” She rolled her eyes. “Like I said, give her a chance. She would give you up willingly if you did.”

 

I looked at her confused.

 

“What do you mean by that?” I asked, confused.

 

“Tiffany tends to like things that Jessica likes. I think you already know about their story when they were in high school?” I nodded my head. “And Nickhun's as well?” I nodded.

 

“What does that have to do with me? How sure are you that Tiffany would back off?” I asked her. I need a sure answer.

 

“Tiffany has this weird obsession over her hold on Jessica. She hasn’t realized it yet but I already did. She wants to know as to what length Jessica would go for their friendship. I think she needs to know her place. She’s my friend but even I know what she’s doing is wrong.” Yuri explained.

 

“So you want me to date her?” I asked for clarification.

 

“Yes. Even just for a week or two. I think Tiffany needs to taste her own medicine.”

 

I thought about it and I agree Tiffany really needs to know her place. She doesn’t own Jessica’s heart. What happened in high school was a misunderstanding. Jessica didn’t mean to date her crush. But what she’s doing right now is all intentional.

 

---------

 

Jessica was sitting at their living room when Taeyeon came in. She looks happy. At least she’s happy.

 

“Hello, Sica!” she greeted.

 

“Hello?” I asked her confused. “Why do you look so happy?”

 

She grinned; she went to where I was and sat on my lap. She hugged me and kissed my cheeks. What is she up to? Is she drunk? Did Yuri and her drink? I thought they were going in a café.

 

“Yuri gave me a solution to our problem.” She happily whispered in my ear.

 

“What kind of solution?” I’m kind of scared.

 

“I’m going to date Tiffany.” She grinned.

 

“What the , Taeyeon!” I shouted.

 

How can she say that so easily? Does she not love me anymore? Is that it?

 

She must’ve noticed my gloomy face because she pouted.

 

“Please, explain to me what on earth do you mean by that.”

 

“Okay, I now realized that it sounded bad. I love you. I didn’t mean anything bad about it. It’s just, Yuri suggested a solution to our problem.” She said.

 

“What kind of solution is you dating Tiffany? We’re in this situation because you don’t want to date her and because we love each other.” I reminded her.

 

And she explained to me that Yuri told her about how Tiffany is obsessed with her power over me. Yuri suggested that she dates Tiffany and in return I will be broken by it and show Tiffany how heartbroken I am. And hopefully, it cuts off the guilt that I’ve been feeling.

 

“So you’re telling me you’re going to date my best friend to break my heart?” I asked and she nodded.

 

“You really need to see how your guilt’s been eating you, too. And if she’s still your best friend then she’s going to see how bad of a friend she’s been all this years.” She explained. “You made one mistake, Jessica. One. That doesn’t give her the right to tell you who you should date and who you should give up.”

 

“She’ll be mad at me.”

 

“Aren’t you mad at her?”

 

“I don’t know. She’s my best friend.”

 

“Then why is she allowed to be mad at you?” she asked. And that made me think. Am I really far down my guilt to notice these things?

 

-----

 

Taeyeon was looking around the room to look for her date. Yes. It’s finally their anniversary ball. They decided to go to the ball separately as to not be suspicious. The only people who knew about them still being a thing is Sunny, Seohyun, and Yoona. Even though it was Yuri who suggested their solution, they decided not to tell her yet.

 

There she was – Jessica – wearing a black dress. She’s with Seohyun – the student council president. She was looking around the room when their eyes finally met. Her face lit up and she made her way towards where the older girl was.

 

“Hey. You look lost.” Jessica greeted.

 

“Thanks. It’s what I intended to be.” Taeyeon teased back. “You look beautiful.”

 

Jessica’s cheeks turned red with the older girl’s compliment. She thought she’s already used by the older girl’s compliments towards her but she thought wrong. She can’t help but blush at the girl’s words. Taeyeon never really miss an opportunity to compliment her.

 

“You don’t look so bad yourself.” She replied.

 

“Shall we?” Taeyeon held out her arm for the other girl to take. They haven’t gone inside the ball room, yet. They were just at the waiting area.

 

Jessica grabs Taeyeon’s arm and they walked inside.

 

Seohyun was left at the waiting area, still waiting for her date to show up. As she was waiting for her date, she saw Tiffany walking inside the waiting area. She's probably still waiting for her date, as well.

 

“Good evening, unnie!” she greeted.

 

“Good evening, Seo!” she greeted back.

 

“Who are you waiting for, unnie?” she asked.

 

“Taecyeon, he’s my date.” Tiffany answered.

 

“You didn’t go here together?”

 

“No, Yuri wanted us to go here together so she drove us here.”

 

Seohyun nodded her head. She can see her date at the entrance. It was Yoona. She still doesn’t understand how it happened, but it did. She was just joking around, asking Yoona to be her date instead as she can’t think of anyone worthy enough to date her. Yoona’s boyfriend doesn’t go to their school so it’s okay. They didn’t know that the professor assigned to Yoona was there and he granted them. So here they are now.

 

“Hello, unnie.” She greeted Yoona.

 

“Hello, Seo! Hello, Fany-unnie!”

 

“Hello, Yoona! I didn’t know that you guys are each other’s date.” Tiffany said shocked.

 

“It is a shock, right? Seo and I were just playing around when my professor granted us permission. It was really a surprise, he came out of nowhere.” Yoona laughed. Seohyun was just smiling beside them.

 

“We’ll see you later, unnie.” Seohyun grabbed Yoona by her arms and dragged her inside. “Good luck with your date, unnie!” she waved her goodbye.

 

“Why are you dragging me so forcefully, Hyun.” Yoona asked when they got inside.

 

“I’m sorry. I feel so awkward whenever Tiffany-unnie is around.” Seohyun said.

 

“Oh. That’s fine. I thought I’m the only one.” Yoona replied. “Are Taeyeon-unnie and Jessica-unnie here already? Did Tiffany-unnie saw them?” she asked.

 

“They’re already here but fortunately Tiffany-unnie hasn’t seen them together yet. Jessica-unnie came with me.” Seohyun replied. “There they are.” She pointed as to where the two unnies’ are.

 

“They look so happy together.” Yoona said with a small smile on her lips. She’s happy for them, although they’re hiding their true relationship to other people; it’s nice to see them being carefree like they are now. Taeyeon has her arms around Jessica while the both of them are singing along to the music. Enchanted by Taylor Swift.

 

“It’s nice to see them happy for a change.” Seohyun stated. She can see her unnies staring at each other. Taeyeon – thanks to the 2 inches shoes she’s wearing – is behind Jessica – who’s wearing flats – with her arms wrapped around the latter. They’re both swaying to the music. She can see Taeyeon with her happiest smile same with Jessica.

 

I really hope the two of them get their happiness in the end.

 

------

 

“Bunny!” Sooyoung shouted at her girlfriend.

 

“Sooshi? Why are you here? Where’s your date?” Sunny asked her girlfriend.

 

“I kind of ditched them?” Sooyoung answered. “I’m kidding! He’s over there, come and join us!”

 

Sunny nodded and proceeded to walk towards wherever her girlfriend drags her. Her date’s tailing them. Their dates kind of knew what to expect anyway. They already told them that they’re going to be together for the whole night so just do them a favor and cooperate.

 

“Oh, hi Nickhun! I didn’t know you’re Sooyoung’s date. This is Joongki, my date for the night,” she introduced her date.

 

“Hello, Sunny! Hello, Joongki!” Nickhun greeted.

 

Joongki nodded his head in acknowledgement.

 

“So have you seen Taeyeon, yet?” Sooyoung asked her.

 

She shook her head. She hasn’t seen her best friend, yet. She thought she ditched the party but she shook the thought off when she remembered that Taeyeon’s date is Jessica and she knows her best friend enough to know that she won’t miss this chance to have some freedom with Jessica.

 

“Have you?” she asked back.

 

“I think I saw her earlier at the waiting area. I didn’t get to talk to her, though.” Sooyoung replied. “Your best friend looks hot tonight, Bunny!”

 

“Of course! She’s my best friend, she should be hot.” Sunny said with a flick of her hair.

 

And at the corner of her eye, she saw her best friend dancing with her date. Oh, there they are. She pointed to her girlfriend the location of their best friends. Her girlfriend widened her eyes and grinned.

 

“They look so cozy!” her girlfriend shouted.

 

She can’t help but look at Nickhun. Jessica and him dated after all. She wonders what the man thinks of them.

 

“Nickhun?” she tried to call his attention.

 

“Yes?” he politely replied.

 

“What do you think of Jessica and Taeyeon?” she asked and Sooyoung can’t help but be surprised at her girlfriend.

 

“Kim Taeyeon? Hyoyeon’s cousin?” he asked and she nodded. “They’re dating? Jessica agreed?” he asked shocked.

 

See? Even Jessica’s ex-suitor knows about it. Sunny thought.

 

“No, but they want to.” Sooyoung answered.

 

“Well, I’m okay with it. I have no problem with that at all. Taeyeon’s nice, I can see why Jessica likes her.” He answered. “But, it’s up to Jessica if she’s willing to let go of her fear.”

 

“Do you think that will happen?” Sunny pushes. “Do you think there’s a possibility?”

 

“Why are you asking me? She’s Sooyoung’s best friend, maybe she can answer that.” He replied. “But…” he paused looking at Taeyeon.

 

But what? Sooyoung and Sunny thought. Joongki who was with them is also immersed on their topic.

 

“I’m sure Taeyeon would do anything for them to be together.” He finally finished. “I’m sure you already know this Sunny, but, Taeyeon – as I know her – doesn’t give up that easily.” Nickhun stated.

 

“Oh yeah, Taeyeon’s told me about her finding her person monologue, too.” Joongki – surprisingly – said. They looked at him surprised. “What? We’re friends, too.”

 

“I know, right? She’s easy to confide into, right? She was like that to me as well. I was complaining about my love life back then and she just told me about her person monologue.” Nickhun said. “That actually helped me a lot through my break up with Tiffany.”

 

“Yeah! She can let your guard down; she has no judgment whatsoever aura around her.” Joongki agreed.

 

“So you guys both know Taeyeon?” Sunny asked confused.

 

“Yes.” Both guys answered.

 

“We’re classmates last year.” Nickhun answered.

 

“I’m her lunch buddy sometimes when she has no one.” Joongki then replied.

 

“Wow. So she’s not as anti-social as I thought.”

 

“No, she still is. We’re the ones who approach her and not the other way around.” Nickhun answered. “Anyway, like I said, Taeyeon would do anything for her person. She’ll literally fight destiny if she has to.”

 

“Yes, I wouldn’t underestimate her that much.” Joongki added. “I will be rooting for her happiness.” He smiled.

 

I think we’re all rooting for their happiness. Please, universe, help them.

 

 

--------

a/n:

Hello! It's been a while but I psuhed through my writer's block! I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, guys! And thank you to those who've waited! I hope you enjoy this update.

-K xx