chapter eight.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yujin had to take in a deep breath the moment she steps into the back of the auditorium.

 

There were tension in the air as the rest of the performers were getting ready for their own turn and it took her a while to actually spot the student council members who would be performing for the opening act - gathered at the end of the hallway. The tension resting on her shoulders slips away a little when she spots Nako waving at her enthusiastically and just the sight of the small girl trying her best to get her attention would definitely warm just anyone's heart, really.

 

Yujin wouldn't have noticed her if it weren't for the fact that she stood right next to Chaeyeon, whose bright hair stood out from the rest. 

 

They did manage to run a quick practice early in the morning and had to went separate ways after that to return to their respective classes for the final preparation of their booths but now that the actual stage is actually happening in a few minutes, Yujin was starting to get cold feet just from the thoughts of standing in front of dozens of students and messing up the performance for the council. 

 

It's her first time playing in front of the masses after all. What if she ends up messing up on her part? She would hate to disappoint anyone in the council. Especially not after how hard they've worked for it. Yujin nervously toyed with the strap to her guitar case, eyes carelessly wandering around the hallway as she waits for the student council to be called up the stage. 

 

For a quick second, she had forgotten that Minjoo too was there until the latter taps on her shoulder to get her attention. 

 

"Hey." 

 

Yujin turns around slightly to face her and it appears that Minjoo seems to have noticed her nerves that were kicking in at that time, with the way the older girl was looking at her. Minjoo gently slides her hand up to cup Yujin's cheek, the pads of her fingers cooly brushing against her skin. "Hey," Yujin replies and the way her height slightly towers over Minjoo had to make her slouch a little to meet Minjoo in the eyes.  

 

"Nervous?" was what Yujin manages to make out from Minjoo's lips, with how loud the hallway was starting to get. Yujin nods her head without a word and tightens her grip of the guitar strap. "Don't worry. I'm sure you'll do great. You've worked hard for this." 

 

"I know but I'm still scared of screwing something so important to the council, you know?" a sigh escapes from Yujin's chest and Minjoo understands her worry perfectly really, because who on earth wouldn't be scared standing on stage for the first time? Yujin might not be the shyest or the most timid person in the room, but the nerves was bound to get to her.

 

"I know," Minjoo repeats Yujin's own words as a reply and gently draws little circles on Yujin's cheek as a way of trying to calm her down. The method seems to have worked with the way Yujin's shoulders starts to slacken once again. "You'll be fine Yujin-ah." 

 

"Okay."

 

"So uh," Chaeyeon coughs a little to catch both their attention and with the way Nako - sweet little Nako has a stupidly wide grin plastered on her face as she stands next to Chaeyeon, it doesn't take a while for Minjoo to come with the conclusion that they were there all along to watch them, yet again. Minjoo had to immediately pull her hand away, letting it drop to her side as if nothing had just happened. "Sorry to break the moment, but we have to go on stage now." 

 

"Oh, okay. Good luck guys," Minjoo says to the rest of the members - Yujin included and watches the rest of the members leave the hallway afterwards to head to the stage, which left her behind with Nako who isn't joining the performance like she is. The tiny Japanese girl still has that annoying smirk playing on her lips and Minjoo already has an idea on what was going to come out from . 

 

"So. You and Yujin-chan." 

 

"Are we really going to go through this again?" 

 

"It's not fair, only Chaeyeon-chan gets to 'interrogate' you last time! I was distracted by Chaewon-chan's gummy worms." 

 

"Ah," Minjoo snaps her fingers when Nako manages to use a rather fancy word with her limited Korean vocabulary. "You learnt how to use 'interrogate', that's so cool Nako-ah." 

 

Minjoo almost scoffs at how easy it was to turn Nako's attention away from the real topic. The little girl was too easy to please with compliments and what not and throw in a pack of gummy treats, you're good to go. "...Nako is cool, isn't she?" Nako beams at the compliment that was thrown to her and Minjoo just grins at this.

 

"Yes. Nako is the best."

 

 

The performance ended smoothly - much to Yujin's relief and right after she got off the stage, Minjoo was nowhere to be seen. A part of her was slightly disappointed with it but she figures that the latter would be busy for the rest of the day after all, being a senior and the vice president of the council at the same time and Yujin too needs to rush to her class to play her part in the maid cafe anyway. 

 

Yujin did ask Minjoo previously on why she wasn't assigned to the committee in charge of ensuring that the festival would run smoothly.

 

A part of her feels guilty seeing the rest of the members being occupied and all with the festival and she did want to help them in some way but apparently, since she's the latest addition to the council they didn't have the time to assign her to anything since it had been months ago since they finalized the roles in the committee. It would be best for her to sit out of it this time and just focus on what her class was doing.

 

At least, that's what Minjoo told her. 

 

So here she is, donning a butler outfit for her class' maid cafe. 

 

The black coat runs down to her knees, the white shirt and dark pants underneath it perfectly hugging her figure. She had to wear a tie to top it all off and slip a white handkerchief into her pocket and at this point, Yujin is just grateful for the fact that she doesn't have to wear white gloves while working - like the butlers that she had seen in those movies and she would hate to spend the rest of her day with clammy hands. Yujin has her hair up into a ponytail again, like what she does during the rehearsal the day before and the hype around her look seems to have not died down yet with the way the girls in her class squeal when she finishes changing into her outfit.

 

Yujin spends the rest of her day greeting the customers that visited their class with a smile and tending to their needs with her best manner. Taking pictures with the customers - as per requested from several of them, especially girls was not part of her job but Yujin ends up doing it anyway, simply because she couldn't say no and that's how she is anyway. Ahn Yujin doesn't know how to say no to girls. 

 

Before she even knows it, they had already sold out every thing on the menu and had to shut their cafe early for the day. Yujin takes the chance to excuse herself, leaving the people in charge of cleaning to clean up since she had already played her part being in the front line the whole day. She might as well take a look at what other classes were doing.

 

Yujin had left her coat and tie behind in the class, giving her the more freedom to walk with ease. It was much more comfortable to go around without it. Yujin had ed her collar and pulled her sleeves up too, since she figures that it's okay for her to do so. She was pretty much done with her role for the day, anyhow.

 

The expression on her face lights up when she sees a few of the classes stationed outside with their food booths is still very much open.  

 

Yujin slowly makes her way to the cheese corndog booth and was about to get just one for herself, until she sees the sight of Minjoo walking around and checking up on the classes with a bunch of papers in her hand, a pen on another. Minjoo does seem busy and Yujin figures that she would rather not bother the older girl for now. 

 

Well, at least that was the plan originally. 

 

Yujin winds up buying two sticks of cheese corndogs, one in each hand and eventually walks up to where Minjoo was - catching her by surprise at first. "Hey, boss." 

 

"Hi. Are you guys done with your cafe?" Minjoo looks at her questi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter