chapter six.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"You really don't have to walk me up to my apartment." 

 

Minjoo attempts to persuade the younger girl into letting her go up to her place on her own, but Ahn Yujin isn't exactly someone who is known to give up easily. Yujin dismisses her with a wave of a hand and tells her driver to wait at the side of Minjoo's apartment building upon their arrival. Before Minjoo could even do anything to stop the younger girl, Yujin had already carried her guitarcase on one shoulder - the other occupied with Minjoo's backpack the moment they stepped out of the car.

 

"I feel like doing charity today so be quiet," Yujin says coolly and clamps Minjoo's mouth shut with her hand, which proves to be a dumb move really. Yujin had to remove her hand immediately when she feels Minjoo's warm breath hitting her palm, a blush creeping on her own cheeks. "Sorry."

 

Minjoo was quiet for a moment before pressing her lips together. The emotions on her face was hard to read and for once, Yujin is actually worried that she had offend Minjoo in some way. "You should really fix that." 

 

Yujin's eyes fluttered in confusion as she gazes down at Minjoo. "Fix what?" 

 

"Being too nice with people," Minjoo replies her with a sigh and eventually turns around on her feet, motioning the girl to follow her into the building. It took a few seconds for Yujin to register Minjoo's reply into her head and she couldn't help but to break out into a faint grin at the compliment this time, following Minjoo with light steps. 

 

Minjoo manages to spare a smile at the security guard standing near the entrance, as she leads the way to the elevator and presses the button to the floor of her apartment. The elevator ride was a silent one, with Minjoo having her back on Yujin and Yujin figures that she shouldn't bother the older girl as much - with how copious it is on her plate recently and how apparent the exhaustion is on Minjoo's face.

 

"We're here," Minjoo says as they head out of the elevator when it reaches the floor with a ding and stops a couple of doors down into the hallway. She extends her arm out, as if asking for Yujin to return her things to her. "You can get going now." 

 

"Is there anyone home now?" Yujin asks and loosens her grasp of the strap to the guitar case, eyebrows furrowing out of concern. Anyone else would've thought that she's overreacting over the injury on Minjoo's hand but with how bad the wound looked like earlier, Yujin has every rights to worry about her. There's a high chance of it getting infected since Minjoo refuses to get it checked properly. 

 

Minjoo shakes her head as an answer. "No. It's just me. Mom will probably be home late," Minjoo takes a step closer to Yujin, head tilting up a little to properly meet her gaze. Yujin freezes at this but nevertheless tries to stand her ground. She knows exactly what Minjoo was trying to pull off but she's not going to fall for it this time. 

 

Minjoo was probably trying to fend her off by closing in on her, aware of the fact that close proximity does things to her. It might have worked before in flustering her, but definitely not this time. She confirmed her suspicions when Minjoo scrunches her nose in disappointment a few seconds after when she fails to draw out any reactions from Yujin. "What are you doing?" Yujin says without wavering.

 

"Nothing," Minjoo gives her own backpack that is strapped over Yujin's shoulder a little tug. "Can I have my things now, please?" 

 

"...I can carry them for you into your place." 

 

"Now, what makes you think that I'm fond enough of you to allow you to enter my place?" Minjoo asks in a deterring manner, though her words were accompanied by a rather wry smile. A sudden pang of harsh truth suddenly hits Yujin in the face and to be fair, Minjoo was kind of right on that. Just because they've been spending some time together and the fact that Yujin agreed to help Minjoo out with her predicament, it doesn't mean that they're suddenly on a friendly term with each other. Friendly enough to be let into the other's house.  

 

Friends was rather an odd term too to address their relationship with.

 

They were probably acquaintances at best, but what kind of acquaintance is Minjoo to her, for her to go through extents to help the latter out and worry about her like this?

 

Yujin will never get to know.

 

At least not any time soon.

 

Yujin should know her place better in the first place anyway and she might have crossed a line or two in terms of intruding Minjoo's privacy or personal space at this rate with how badly Yujin wanted to help Minjoo out - or so they say. 

 

"The least I can do for my new boss is to not let her wound gets worse and stupidly gets herself an infection. Wouldn't want to see your pretty face on the news now for dying over a wound infection, would you? My conscience doesn't allow that at least," Yujin deadpans, trying to reason with Minjoo and the way Minjoo ends up laughing at her words afterwards slightly lightens the weight of her worries on intruding on Minjoo. 

 

"Right. I'm your boss now in the council. Well technically, I'm not. Since Chaewon is the president but I'm still above you," Minjoo quickly taps in her passcode on the lockpad and ushers the younger girl to come in with her. Yujin quietly slips her shoes off in front of the doorstep and ends up standing in the middle of the living room awkwardly, not knowing where to place down Minjoo's things. Minjoo unknowingly snorts at the dumb sight of Yujin being an awkward giant in the middle of her house. "You can just place them down on the floor, thank you. Since you're already here, do you want anything to drink? As a thank you, for what you've done today." 

 

"Oh okay then," Yujin replies obediently and does as she was told to, perking up at the mention of a free drink being offered to her. "Do you have banana milk then? I'll just take that to go if you don't mind, I don't want to keep my driver ahjusshi waiting for long." 

 

"I think we have that."

 

Minjoo returns shortly to her with a small bottle of banana milk after a quick visit to the kitchen, in which Yujin thanks her for with a giddy smile. 

 

"Thanks. I'll be going now then," Yujin waves the milk in front of Minjoo like a child, extracting another smile from the older girl. "Don't forget about your gauze. If you don't know how to do it you can call me-- Oh wait, you don't have my number," Yujin pauses for a moment, hesitant on what she was about to do next. "Do you want my number?" 

 

Minjoo pretends to think for a little. "What if I say no to that?"

 

"Sure, go bleed yourself to death. I couldn't care less," Yujin just had to snort and scans around the apartment as if looking for something. She briefly sets aside her drink and grabs a pen and a ply of tissue, writing down her number in a jiff. "Here. In case you need it or something," Yujin says and suavely slips it into the pocket of Minjoo's school blazer before taking her leave.

 

Minjoo didn't even had the chance to prolong her teasing on Yujin, with how quick everything unfolded in front of her.

 

She pulls out the piece of tissue from her pocket, taking a glimpse of Yujin's number and the message that came along with it. 

 

'xx-xxxx-xxx

p.s get enough sleep, please. the eyebags doesn't look good on you.'

 

Yujin is too good for her.

 

Yujin is just too good for anyone.

 

 

A couple of days passes by without a word and Yujin was maybe a tad disappointed with the fact that Minjoo hadn't contacted her again since then. What about the whole student council thing needing help and her joining the student council? Surely she needs to practice playing soon and if she weren't mistaken, Minjoo did mention to her that the festival is next week. 

 

Yujin decided to take matters to her own hand by heading to the office of the student council on her own. She almost screamed however the moment she sees a head peeking out from behind the door, just as she was about to open the door herself and ended up being beaten to it by whoever was inside.

 

It was another unfamiliar face. "Hello." 

 

"Um, hi. Is Minjoo-sunbaenim inside?" 

 

The girl with the heavy Japanese accent, who

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter