chapter eleven.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The rest of their days on the island went by quickly.

 

A visit to the temple during the day, followed by going on a  banana boat ride the next day– which ends up being a particular favorite of Yujin so far for the trip (because nothing else is better than being on water on a huge banana apparently). They did manage to pay a visit to a Safari Park as well for the trip and Sakura has a lot to say on this, with how she ends up being sprayed with water by an angry elephant and by a giraffe on the very same day.

 

The rest of the girls only laughs at her misery, glad that they were not the one going through the experience and Chaeyeon were the only one who was concerned enough for Sakura to offer her an extra change of clothes that she stores in her backpack in case of emergencies, in which Sakura thanks her with all her heart.

 

And it gradually leads them to their final night on the island.

 

Apparently, Sakura thinks that it would be great to end their vacation with a bang, hence suggesting them to hang out at the beach club right next to their resort’s private beach and if it weren’t for the fact that it was a three against two situation – due to Sakura skillfully getting Chaeyeon and Hyewon on her side to agree with the plan, Yujin had no choice but to follow along with them.

 

Funny enough, Minjoo couldn’t be bothered with the final decision, frankly speaking.

 

Seeing on how Minjoo didn’t say much in agreeing to the plan, Yujin just takes her to be on her side and not Sakura’s but that doesn’t matter much, now that they are actually at the club itself.

 

It didn’t take much for Sakura to sneak Yujin in – with her being the youngest one in the group and an underaged one too at that. Yujin’s appearance were just too mature for her real age and Sakura pretty much had a good laugh when the bouncer did not even pay much heed to Yujin tagging along with the rest of them, calling her ‘old’ and what not when they successfully made their way to an unoccupied table.

 

Yujin was too distracted with the unfamiliar environment around her to even get offended at the remark.

 

People were starting to swarm in into the venue and she was somewhat glad that at least the beach club is an open-spaced venue and not a closed one.

 

At least Yujin would still be able to get in some fresh air from their surroundings and spend her time looking into the view around her instead of paying attention to the people.

 

Before she even knew it, she was left alone at the table that the five of them previously occupied and Yujin doesn’t exactly know what else is there for her to do other than to sit around and wait for them to return. It’s not as if she’s allowed to drink anyway and she didn’t really feel like talking to strangers for now, so she might as well just finish her Sprite and wait like a good girl.

 

Yujin nearly scoffs at the sight of Sakura blending in well with a group of foreigners near the pool because that’s just how Sakura is. A sociable person who gets liked by people easily. Sakura probably picked up that skill throughout the years she is forced to attend to all those formal events by her family.

 

Yujin on the other hand stops going to those kind of events the moment she reaches 12 and had to enroll to her previous academy. She was excused by her father apparently, who thinks that she should focus more on school rather than socializing with the elites, for now.

 

On another note, she could see Hyewon joining a group of ladies at another table and they seemed to hit it off well too with how much they were laughing, so Yujin supposes that it’s good for the other girls to enjoy the place, at least.

 

And speaking of the other girls, her eyes lands on Chaeyeon and Minjoo after some difficulty in spotting them in the crowd, each holding a drink in their hands.

 

Yujin was almost bitter at the fact that she was not allowed to get a drink on her own so she’s just going to enjoy her soda for the night.

 

Yujin quietly sips on her glass after picking it up from the table, wincing at how ‘spicy and sour’ her Sprite was and she doesn’t recall ever experiencing this taste after leaving her soda out in the air for so long. She decides to put her thought away for now.

 

Her attention returns to where Chaeyeon and Minjoo was, wondering if she should join them for the rest of the night, since none of the girls are likely to return to their former table any time soon but just as she was about to make up her mind, Chaeyeon had already left Minjoo behind to head off somewhere and Yujin had to think twice on whether to bother Minjoo while she’s alone again.

 

She didn’t want the older girl to grow tired of her.

 

They did share a room for the trip after all – although they still sleep with the pillow fortress in the middle of the bed (in which Yujin had to rebuild every single night while waiting for Minjoo to finish washing up in the bathroom) but so far, Minjoo hadn’t said or hinted anything that tells Yujin that she had grown tired of her.

 

Yujin continues to stare at Minjoo’s direction, somewhat thankful that the girl hadn’t notice her yet.

 

Her train of thoughts gets interrupted however, when she sees a pretty boy – a tourist like them too Yujin assumes but probably Chinese or Japanese, judging from his features. Or he might be Korean too for all she knows, approaching Minjoo and trying to strike up a conversation with her.

 

Yujin quietly observes the situation from her seat and wonders if Minjoo would entertain him for the night.

 

Kim Minjoo did end up greeting him with a brief smile. 

 

Maybe she’s taken a liking to how good-looking he is, Yujin assumes. She continues to lift the glass in her hand up to her lips, taking small sips of her drink all the while her eyes is on Minjoo but the more time passes by, the more it is clear to Yujin that Minjoo didn’t enjoy the guy’s company as much as Yujin thought her to be.

 

When Minjoo tries to politely brush the guy’s hand away from her arm – and Yujin feels the sudden need to rescue the older girl from it.

 

Just like she always does.

 

Yujin confidently strides her way to where Minjoo were after leaving her glass behind. For some reason, her steps ends up being heavier than she would like them to be. It may be the heat of the night getting to her or her stomach reacting to the stale soda that she had just now – but come to think of it, she doesn’t recall seeing a slice of lemon and mint leaves in her Sprite glass when it first arrives to their table— either way, that doesn’t matter at the moment.

 

“Is there anything wrong here?” Yujin says as she scowls at the man before her and now that she is standing right in front of the man, he appears to be slightly shorter than Yujin is, which makes her attempt of intimidation more effective, but not effective enough to make him scram.

 

“Nothing’s wrong. And who might you be?”

 

“Her friend,” Yujin replies promptly and securely wraps an arm around Minjoo’s waist. “And I would really appreciate it if you would stop touching my friend against her will. She clearly doesn’t like that.”

 

“But we were hitting it well just now, don’t we Carrie?”  he says as he tries to defend his action and Yujin had to raise an eyebrow at Minjoo, giving her a look of disbelief when Minjoo introduces herself as ‘Carrie’. Minjoo was quick to catch her gaze and leans in to whisper at Yujin in their native tongue.

 

“I’m glad that you’re here. Help me out Yujin-ah.”

 

“Really? Carrie?”

 

“Please put your distaste in my fake name choice aside and help me out.”

 

Yujin returns her attention to the man before them, deciding to fend him off in a nicer way. She didn’t want to resort to violence if she didn’t have to. “Look, she clearly doesn’t enjoy your company as much as you think she is so I suggest for you to move on and hit it up with another girl.”  

 

“Huh,” he runs his gaze at Yujin before looking at Minjoo once more. “Are you two lesbians or something? I can show you two a good time at my room—“

 

And that was the last straw.

 

The next thing he knew, he was already in the pool after losing his balance from the impact of being kicked in the groins by Yujin and by the time everyone has their attention on him, Yujin had already made her way out of the club with Minjoo.

 

It didn’t take long for them to reach their room, with how Yujin pulled the older girl along with her in a hurry, to the point where Minjoo tells her to slow down but Yujin appears to be too distracted in her own thoughts to even listen to Minjoo.

 

“You didn’t have to do that, you know,” Minjoo says the second the door closes up on them and Yujin finally releases her grasp from Minjoo’s wrist. Yujin was about to protest really but soon shuts when she notices the red mark imprinted on Minjoo’s skin and it was probably from her tight grip of Minjoo just now.

 

The angry look in her eyes turns into one of guilt.

 

She didn’t mean to hurt Minjoo that way.

 

She was too caught up in anger from what the man had just s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter