Kim Chaewon

Daughters of Busan

Chaewon and Goeun often frequent the indoor swimming pool that is in walking distance of Chaewon’s house. Since Chaewon can remember, as a child, swimming has always been a part of her. She even took classes to build up her resume to hopefully, one day become a professional swimmer. Although, all of the techniques she acquired over the years were for nothing and went down the drain around her mother’s departure. Chaewon also found it more amazing to become her own boss rather than being managed by others. Although the 50x25 meter pool tempts her every time to make swimming a potential career and not a mere hobby.

Goeun was sitting in one of the sets of hot pink beach chairs when her jaw drops immensely, “What are earth are you wearing?”

Entering the room, Chaewon proudly shows off her see-through black sleeved blouse and dark midrise pants. Her blouse is tuck in and her slack is tight around her thin waist. Lastly, she is in 12cm midnight blue heels. She drops a hand around her waist and strikes a seductive pose. Doing a wave with her brows she asks, “Thoughts? Don’t I look like a woman now?”

Goeun shakes her head in disbelief, “Really what are wearing? Why are you all dressed up?”

Chaewon folds her arms against her chest and leans against the threshold, “Goeun, I think it’s time I take over Soul Group,”

No matter how smart Goeun is, she was having trouble understanding Chaewon. “Seriously Chaewon? I panicked for no reason. You sounded so serious over the phone that I thought something bad must have happened,”

“I mean, Hyewon is acting weird but not enough for you to panic,” Chaewon says without blinking as she joins her friend at the lounge area. Falling against the chair she spreads her legs comfortably. “Finally, these heels were killing me,” she mumbles.

Goeun smiles a little at Chaewon’s statement, “From what I can see, you’re weirder,”

Briefly, either one of them utters a sound until Chaewon smacks her lips together, “Impossible, but go on,”

Goeun remains quiet as she examines and processes Chaewon’s outfit one last time, “The last time you acted out of character, was when Hyewon gave you the silent treatment because you threw her cake out the window. Saying she’s acting weird isn't going to cut it. What did she do?”

Chaewon curls the left corner of her lips in reconsideration. Not that it will bring her any harm in telling Goeun the full story but she had to think about it first. Hyewon isn’t the type to lash out without reason. Instead, she’s good-natured, affectionate, and easy to please. Selfless even. When Chaewon has gone quiet for too long, Goeun waves a hand in front of her to pull her back into the present.

“So? What did she do?”

The lass sigh, “She’s acting like an older sister,”

Goeun laughs a little, surprised by her friend’s answer, “That’s because she is an older sister, your older sister,”

“That’s not the issue. The issue is, all of a sudden she’s acting that way. Suddenly there’s an invisible force between us and no matter what I do or say, she doesn’t smile or laugh. She won’t look at me. Everything she says sounds like she’s low-key talking about me,” Chaewon pause to exhale a deep breath, “it sounds like she’s tired of me,” Without a warning, Goeun flicks Chaewon on the forehead and it made her groan, “Ow! What was that Goeun!”

Goeun suppresses a laughter to blurt out, “Wake up Kim Chaewon. You and Hyewon are sisters, you’re not dating. Quit talking about your sister that way, it gives me chills,”

A hefty scoff escapes Chaewon’s twitching lips as she shouts, “You were the one who told me to express my feelings freely! And never! I’m going to keep talking and seeing Hyewon the same way! She’s mine and I’m going to make her mine!” When Chaewon begins getting loud and close, Goeun wraps a hand over and push her head back.

“Chaewon! You’re spitting all over me!”

Chaewon muffles a few more words behind Goeun’s hand before she rips it away from her face. “You asked for it!” As Goeun wipes her hand on her seat, Chaewon falls back into her chair with a huff. “What is taking that Mr. Oh forever too? I was deliberately and purposely nice to him so that he’ll join hands with me instead but he’s taking his time,”

Goeun raise a brow, “Join hands with you? You and Mr. Oh?”

Chaewon turns her head a little until she's looking through Goeun’s soul, “He’s part of my plan. If I want to own all of Soul Group as soon as possible, I can’t wait around and rely on my dad to give me that promotion through passable results. I need a shortcut, a way for him to hand off his position without too much effort on my part,”

“So Mr. Oh working under you is an advantage?”

A mere smirk is visible on Chaewon’s face as she hums, “Mr. Oh has been working under my dad for years. He’s aware of all the dirt my dad has done and knows his relationship with every shareholder, business partner, and employee best. Mr. Oh hold grudges but he has a weak stomach. It will be hard for him to betray my dad but I’m not worried, he can be convinced,”

Attentively and carefully, Goeun didn’t miss a single word Chaewon said but in the end, she didn’t know what Chaewon knows. “What do you mean?”

“As long as I appear to be playing for my dad’s side, Mr. Oh would go to the end of the earth to help me. Why? Because I’m the heiress and is entitled to take over someday anyway so he has no reason to question me,” Chaewon confidently reveals.

After taking it in, Goeun didn’t think it was a bad or difficult concept. Although she questions what made Chaewon want to suddenly, eagerly overthrow her own father when she is the rightful heiress.


It was around noon when Chaewon and Goeun were finishing up with their medley relay, and Goeun was getting out of the water when she hears vibrating coming from the twin chairs. Meanwhile, Chaewon is floating on her back and using her legs to kick her around the pool. When Goeun reaches the seats, she notices it’s Chaewon’s stepmother calling her. Spinning around on her heels, she tries to call out to Chaewon but her splashing was too loud for her to hear a thing.

Before she loses the call, Goeun answers the cell. “H-hello?”

“Where did you go? Come back to the room. I would like for you to meet someone,”

Goeun becomes fluster and hangs up. Countless reasons ran through her head. A room? What room? Meet someone? Who was it? Was it Chaewon’s birth mother? Why would Chaewon meet her mother? She can’t.

“Goeun?” Goeun flinches a little when Chaewon calls out to her and was already standing behind her. “Did my phone ring?” she asks when she sees what looked like her handphone in the other’s hands.

“Yes, but it was a scam call. Chaewon, I forgot to bring the towels from the lockers. Can you go get them? I have to make a call so I’ll wait here for you,”

Chaewon blinks and obliges. When Chaewon exit the room, Goeun quickly deleted the call’s history before setting the phone down. “Sorry, Chaewon. One day I’ll beg for your forgiveness even if I have to exchange my life for it,”


Eunbi observes as the woman frowns, “Oh? She hung up on me,”

On the side, Eunbi notices that Hyewon is eyeing her like a hawk. Yet, she looks so calm that Eunbi can’t tell if she’s dying to ask questions or is just really curious about Eunbi’s relationship with her mother. Quickly, the doctor waves to Hyewon, “Try calling Chaewon on your phone. She isn’t answering my calls again,”

Hyewon does as she’s told without a word, Eunbi watches as the pretty one pulls out a red iPhone and begins touching the screen with her elegantly, long index finger. When she holds the phone up to her ear, Eunbi had hopes that she would finally be able to hear the great Chaewon’s voice. Unfortunately, the call went straight to a voicemail that hasn’t been set up yet.

Now Eunbi is dying to know who Chaewon is. Eunbi had to endure so much, traveling to an unknown city with her sister’s money just to get into an accident, but Chaewon is nowhere to be seen when she was supposedly just there. Slowly she begins to doubt if the doctor had been truthful with her at all.

“Excuse me,” she says, capturing the doctor and young woman’s full attention, “since I’m feeling better already can I be discharged? Maybe it’s better to go to her house instead,” when the doctor seems uncertain, Eunbi is grateful when Hyewon steps up for her.

“I’ll take her home, mom, don’t worry,”

The older woman appears conflicted but agrees anyway, “Only if you take a nap and under the condition that if you feel unwell, you have to come back to the hospital. It will break my heart if you return to Busan under poor conditions. As for the medical bills, don’t worry about it. I have you covered,”

Eunbi smiles, showing the top half of her teeth, “Thank you so much,”


Chaewon is sitting on the soft carpet with an elbow on the sofa’s cushion as her hand holds her head up, all the while she’s switching through the channels due to boredom. In the kitchen, she hears an excited Goeun. “Our butter popcorn is 80% done,”

The lass yawns, “Take your time, there’s nothing good on TV nor Netflix,” she mumbles to herself. Chaewon’s eyes shift over to the time on the owl clock, next to the television, wondering if Hyewon was going to come back home anytime soon. It was almost five at night. Then she blinks in realization. “Oh, the accident girl!” She thoughtlessly shouts, surprising Goeun.

The accident girl? Is that a new movie or something?”

Chaewon drops the remote and searches for her phone, “My phone, where’s my phone? My phone, Goeun!”

When her name was called, Goeun came out of the kitchen with a strange look on her face, “Your phone? Did you leave it at the pool?”

Chaewon growls as she flips the cushion like hot, boiled eggs, “No, I had it!”

Before she can move another muscle, the pair freezes when they hear the doorbell ring. “Want me to get it?” Goeun asks. Chaewon assumes it’s Hyewon as Mr. Oh has a key to the pedestrian gate and normally lets her father in that way. Before either one of them can answer the door, the housekeeper came down from the second floor and insists she’ll grab it. After she answers the speaker and hears it’s Hyewon, the woman went outside to open the gate for her.

Back in the room, Chaewon takes a step back from her previous spot to see if her phone had fallen out of her pockets. Goeun clicks her tongue and suggests, “You probably left it at the pool. We’ll go find it together later,”

Chaewon scratches the top of her head, uneasy about its whereabouts. Then when the front door flew open, Chaewon and Goeun glance over. Standing behind the housekeeper and Hyewon is the young woman from the hospital. “Miss Chaewon,” the housekeeper begins but Chaewon cuts her off.

“Why is she here?”

While Hyewon gets ready to answer, the guest chime in instead. “You’re Kim Chaewon, right? Your mother is waiting for you,”

Chaewon chortles a little, “Didn’t anyone at the hospital tell you that the head doctor there is my mom? Did you not see how busy the hospital was? Why would my mom be waiting for me—”

“I’m not talking about your stepmother. I’m talking about your biological mother, Jisun,”

The name irks Chaewon to no ordeal but it leaves her wanting to know more, “And who are you?”

“Your sister,”