Mom

Daughters of Busan

A week later…

Since Chaewon and Eunbi spent countless hours together it was becoming easier for Eunbi to initiate brave acts. Pecking Chaewon on the cheek and forehead came so impulsively and naturally that eventually, it stuck out like a thorn that she had been the only one doing it. So during an outing that was meant to show Chaewon the very spot, near the sea, where Jisun’s cremated bones had been spread, Eunbi make it obvious that Chaewon needs to step up her game.

While the waves clashes against the large rocks near them, Eunbi gives Chaewon some alone time. As the older is a few steps back, she studies Chaewon’s back. With the same fuzzy brown hair, Eunbi is briefly reminded of Jisun’s backside.

Chaewon gazes into the openness with mixed emotions. Relieved yet regretful. Jisun may be free but the sight looked very lonely. “Your daughter is finally here, mom,” she mumbles. “We both have a lot of things we’re sorry for, don’t we?” Chaewon bites the bottom of her lip then exhales heavily, “I’m ready to forgive you if you’ll forgive me too,”

Then a moment later, Chaewon feels Eunbi’s arms wrap around her waist and the shorter rests her chin on Chaewon’s shoulder.

“She forgave you a long time ago. She wouldn’t be sorry, otherwise. Also, no mother can stay mad at her daughter forever,” Eunbi says softly. “As long as you forgive yourself, it’ll make her happy,”

A gentle smile is drawn across Chaewon’s face as she reaches around to pat the older on the head, “Thank you,”

There’s a moment of silence before Eunbi begins, “By the way. Why don’t you ever kiss me? Were you lying when you said you wanted to do unspeakable things to me?”

Chaewon nearly chokes, feeling embarrassed for Eunbi, “Is that necessary to say right now? In front of my mom?”

Eunbi snorts an amused chuckle then squeezes Chaewon a little, “Awe, are you shy? If here isn’t the perfect place to say these things then where’s the better place?”

Without answering Eunbi, Chaewon pulls out and hold up a phone for them both to see, “Why don’t you answer me first, why was my old phone in your room?”

“Oh!” Eunbi releases Chaewon instantly and points to it, “Was that yours?” Without any delay, Chaewon quickly spins around on her heels to face Eunbi, where she holds the device near the other’s face.

“Well?”

With no traces of hesitant, Eunbi blurts out, “When Hyewon and I got out of the cab in front of your house, I found it on the ground near the gates. I was going to look for the owner after I found you. But that day, you refused to come to Busan with me and then I had to leave… I only remember holding it after I came back and…”

Chaewon pokes the inside of her cheek with her tongue. Although she has no recollection dropping it, she did remember bringing it home with her and then losing it when she and Goeun were already in the home. “You’re telling the truth?” Chaewon asks.

“Why would I lie? I really found it outside. I didn’t know who it belonged to so I just left it in my room. I was going to look for the owner though. I really was going to but a lot happens and I got sidetracked…”

Chaewon pockets the phone and exhales, “Alright. I’ll believe you. Should we go then?”

“...Where are we going?”

Chaewon raises a brow, “Where else? To the abbey,”

“The Abbey?”

“To meet your mom,” Eunbi’s eyes widen and she couldn’t produce a sound. “Mira called and said she’s expecting you,” when Eunbi didn’t move, Chaewon takes her by the hand and squeeze it a little, “Let’s go meet her together,”


The abbey was like any other temple. Mesmerizing at first glance and fully embodies nature and spiritual vibes. Eunbi feels like she was looking at a reflection of herself in her late 40s as her mother, Suyeon the Abbess, is sitting across from them. Suyeon was a lot tinier than Eunbi had imagined. From her height to her weight, she was petite and thin.

“You must be Eunbi,” Suyeon begins. Unlike Jisun’s husky and Mira’s elegant voices, Suyeon’s sounded rather feminine and pitchy, “and you are?”

“I’m Kim Chaewon,” Chaewon answers with a soft smile.

“She’s my partner,” Eunbi declares comfortably and confidently. When Chaewon tries to send Eunbi a what-the-heck-are-you-doing look she sees that the lass is only facing the abbess. “Can I ask you something..?”

“Anything,”

“Are you really my mother..?”

There’s a long moment of silence between them before Chaewon sees that Eunbi’s knees were a little shaky. Without thinking, Chaewon places a hand over her leg and hope the shaking stops. When it did, she hears Suyeon speak. “I am and I regret giving you up. If only your father was still alive, I wouldn’t be so afraid and would have had the courage to raise you,”

“Then it’s true? His oldest brother killed him?”

After the questions left Eunbi’s mouth, they saw the woman squeeze her own eyes shut. As if the reality is still crystal clear in her mind and pains her. The woman huffs and puffs, wheezing a little, then she nods and swallows hard, “Haneul constantly broke the laws and every time your father would get him out, for his sister-in-law—Haneul’s wife, but Haneul was never grateful. And his negative ways converted Hokjae. Howoon was always kind and taken advantage of.

A few months after Haneul and his wife left town, Hokjae slept with a young lady from a wealthy family. The family demanded Hokjae take responsibility and marry their daughter who was with child. So your father paid for their wedding and had them married. For three years, Howoon worked hard to earn money so he could marry me. But one-day Haneul and Hokjae went too far.

Hokjae called Howoon out during his lunch break and from a distance, Haneul shot your father while he was crossing the street. Not only was he shot three times, but your father also got ran over,” Suyeon takes a second to catch her breath, “they were so cruel. After they took away our chance to say goodbye to each other, Haneul and Hokjae wouldn’t leave me alone. I knew I couldn’t always keep moving since I was pregnant with you. So I hid until you were born. But Hokjae found us at the hospital. He threatened to kill me if I wouldn’t sign my rights as your mother over.

Howoon and I practically raised Hokjae, after they moved here from Gwangju, so I trust it enough that he wouldn’t dare do anything bad to you. He knew he would receive money as long as you were a minor under his care.

Haneul may have been the one behind the gun that day but Hokjae is equally evil. He should have been persecuted,”

Eunbi doesn’t know when Suyeon had been holding her hand, but their hands were warmly grasped together despite the chilly topic Eunbi and Chaewon had to endure. “Who were Mira and Jisun then?”

Suyeon smiles sadly, “Kang Mira was Hokjae’s girlfriend. They met each other through work. They would have gotten married if Hokjae was more careful and didn’t marry Siyoung. Jisun...do you mean Hwang Jisun?”

Eunbi turns to Chaewon for an answer as she just realized she doesn’t know Jisun’s maiden surname. Chaewon who notices Eunbi’s noiseless cry for help hums, “That’s right, Hwang Jisun,”

The older blinks, “Do you know Jisun?”

“I’m her daughter,” Chaewon answers.

The duo watches as Suyeon’s shoulders sink as if she’s disappointed, “I’ve only met Jisun when she came to visit Mira and all I could remember was that she was kind, fragile, and as delicate as a flower. You see, Mira’s family was able to afford for her to go to college in Seoul so that’s where Mira went after high school. She wanted to become a doctor and to escape her love for the newly married Hokjae. I heard Jisun was Mira’s first friend in Seoul and they were dormmates. Jisun was caring. She took care of Mira, Mira’s family, and even us who were just Mira’s friends.

When Jisun came over, she brought lots of goods. She always gave us pocket money without making us feel bad or pitiful. Sooner or later, Jisun fell in love with Busan and surprisingly Hokjae. Although he was already married, he courted Jisun behind Siyoung and Mira’s back. From what I heard, Jisun’s family were very protective of her and kept her in the dark from evil itself. Jisun was vulnerable and unfamiliar with Hokjae’s devilish ways.

Hokjae pursuit Jisun to get his hands on her family’s money. However, before they can cause hectic and break Hokjae and Siyoung’s precarious marriage, Jisun’s family has arranged a marriage for her with a chaebol’s son from Seoul. I can’t remember his name but he came with Jisun a few times to see Busan. And one day, the air around Hokjae and Jisun was very...strange. I only learned of the reason after Jisun returned to Seoul for good,”

“What was the reason?” Eunbi asks in Chaewon’s place. Although the lass appreciates it, she is also glad to see that Eunbi is comfortable and not grudgeful.

Suyeon sigh, “Mira was with child and the father was Hokjae,”

Eunbi smacks the ground with a fist and puff, “Is he out of his God damn mind?!”

While Suyeon flinches, Chaewon is wide-eyed as she tries to hold Eunbi still, “Wh-what’s wrong with you Eunbi?” Chaewon asks in a near whisper.

Eunbi grabs Chaewon by the arms and shakes her a little, “I can’t believe someone like him is Joohyun’s father! I must save her!” without a word, Eunbi gets up and sprints out of the room. Chaewon, completely lost, turns to Suyeon in disbelief.

Gradually, Suyeon reveals a grin and coos, “She’s exactly like me when I was younger,”

Chaewon scoffs at the thought then a moment of silence passed before she hears Eunbi, “Aren’t you coming, Chaewon? Hurry!” When the lass is back and standing by the door, she directs her statement toward Suyeon, “Mom, I’ll come and visit you again. Stay fit until then!”

Suyeon hums, “I got it, daughter,”

As Chaewon tries to stand, she couldn’t fathom how fast and easily Eunbi and Suyeon’s relationship was just repaired.


Chaewon side-eye Eunbi in the car, wondering if the other had put up a front when they were at the abbey. Although the only emotion she can detect on Eunbi’s face was worried, Chaewon felt she had to make sure, “You’re shockingly calm,”

Eunbi looks at Chaewon and tries to figure out what the other is referring to, “Me?”

A compose hum, “You just met your mother and yet you’re calm,”

Eunbi pulls at her sleeves, “I know right? My heart was about to burst when we were getting close to the temple. But for some reason, when I look into her eyes, I feel like I’ve known her my whole life. I think...I would have hated her if she left me with someone else or at a foster home. But she left me with Joohyun and my mom Siyoung. She even tried to leave me with Mira who was in a better position. But, I’m just happy that I got to grow up with my sis—cousin…,”

Chaewon didn’t know what to say to that. However, she did know that she is more than ready to help Eunbi save Joohyun.

But when they pulled up into Sunflower Foster Home’s parking space, Chaewon’s determination is driven to the ground at the sight of Kaeun and another female making out in the lot.