Kwon Eunbi

Daughters of Busan

A/N: So I lied. My family and I are safe from the fire and didn't have to evacuate so here's chapter six. Enjoy and don't hate me too much...



Chaewon’s arms were crossed over her chest as she tries to make out who the girl sleeping on the bed reminded her of. She observes the young woman’s short lashes, chapped lips, milky skin, and the two band-aids, one over her left brow and another on her right cheek. Yet, no matter how long she stared, she can only think about what a true beauty and a stranger she is.

Meanwhile, sitting on a salon stool beside the bed is an emotionless Hyewon. Quietly, she waits for Chaewon to identify the girl. However, not a second later Chaewon breaks focus with a groan and shake her head, “This is frustrating. I don’t know her. Even if she was someone from my past that got plastic surgery, she’s not someone I recognize. And since us three don’t know her then easy, the process of elimination, she’s dad’s acquaintance,”

Hyewon shrugs then look to the nameless, “I wonder who she is then and why did she have our address,”

Chaewon sighs, “Who knows. I’ll take a picture of her and send it to dad,” when Chaewon pulls out her phone and is about to snap a photo, Hyewon puts out a hand in front of her camera.

“Don’t, let’s wait until she wakes up then we can ask her,” Baffle by Hyewon’s motion, Chaewon lowers her phone only for Hyewon to add, “I don’t think she’ll want her picture taken. I wouldn’t like it either,”

For some reason, Chaewon felt that it was a jab at her. Whenever they go somewhere new, Chaewon usually pulls out her phone for a picture. On her phone, there are only photos of her, Goeun, and Hyewon. But before either one of them can say another word, they hear footsteps approaching.

“Oh, Chaewon you were here,” says her stepmother, as she forgets that Chaewon must have contacted Hyewon first and so the older brought her up to the ward instead of them all meeting at the front desk, as she comes over and wraps a hand around Chaewon’s lower back. “So, do you know her?”

“No,” Chaewon answer with a soft smile then her eyes made their way towards Hyewon. She wants to think Hyewon meant nothing by what was said but couldn’t help and wonder. It’s naturally easy for Chaewon to brush off what nonsense others say but it was Hyewon so it bothered her. Ever since she arrived, Hyewon has been avoiding smiling at her, although the older did clearly force one or two short-lived smiles.

A moment later, she sees Hyewon looking up into her eyes. Then she sees the woman’s mouth open but hears nothing. Until her stepmother shakes her shoulder a little, “Chaewon?” she calls.

“Huh? What?”

Her reaction causes her stepmother to chortle in a warm manner, “I asked if you have other plans today, if not then why don’t you stay here with Hyewon and see if this young lady wakes up soon. Perhaps she might know your dad,”

“Oh, sure,” Chaewon answer in a rush. There’s no reason she couldn't stay, besides she wanted to talk to Hyewon. “If you’re busy then go ahead. I’ll stay here with Hyewon,”

When the woman leaves, Chaewon watches as Hyewon turns back to the stranger. It hurt her a little that Hyewon would worry and only look to the patient. Just what did Chaewon do to trigger such abnormal acts? “Can we talk?”

Hyewon didn’t answer immediately, instead, she reaches over and brushes the sleeping’s hair out of her face. When she straightened her back again, she asks, “About what?”

Her tone ticks Chaewon off. It’s like Hyewon was mad at her or something. “What’s with the attitude? Are you mad that I didn’t let you sleep with me last night? Isn’t that a bit childish to be mad about?”

As if Chaewon's words and tone meant nothing, Hyewon calmly says, “I’m not mad, just disappointed,”

The word ‘disappointed’ is hard to swallow and unfair on Chaewon's part. Everything up to that moment was made to keep Hyewon happy and now she wants to put Chaewon down. Now she wants to come out of her shell? Now she wants to show her true colors and feelings? Not then, but now? However, before Chaewon can reply, her cell in hand begins to ring. Her ringtone, a recorded sound Hyewon had made for her 16th birthday, begins playing and catching the attention of others in the same, shared room. When Chaewon checks to see who the caller is, she is surprised to see it’s her father.

“Go ahead, answer it. It’s disturbing the others,” Hyewon’s sharp words were like thorns and it pisses Chaewon off even more.

Just to make it even, Chaewon coldly warns, “Don’t tell me what to do. You’re not my real sister,” 


Behind her lids, she can tell it’s either bright out or the lights were on. “Oh, Chaewon you were here,” she hears a woman say then adds a split second later,  “So, do you know her?” Eunbi wonders who they are and who were they talking about? And Chaewon? The name sounded familiar. Eunbi tries to remember where she has heard it before, but she couldn’t get far when she feels her head is being squeezed and her face hurts like hell. Eunbi tries to open her eyes but couldn’t, her eyelids weigh a ton and she couldn’t control them. They were so heavy that she can feel them weighing down on her eyes. As Eunbi attempts to open them, she hears what sounded like two women arguing.

Finally, when she managed to lift her lids, she sees the back of a woman leaving the room. She watches as the woman’s dark brown curls bounce flawlessly behind her. Once she turns around the corner and is out of sight, Eunbi hears a voice.

“Excuse me, are you awake?”

The voice is like a lullaby, soothing and harmless.

Eunbi closes her eyes when the light from the ceiling was hurting them. Then after a few more tries, she makes out a woman towering over her. “Excuse me, are you okay? Can you hear me?”

“I...” Eunbi trails off, feeling weak and exhausted.

“Wait here. I’ll call my mom over,” The woman says then runs off before Eunbi can utter another sound. 


With her back against the wall, Chaewon quietly waits for her father to finish speaking on the other end of the line. “The hospital Chief just called and informed me that one of the patients from the bus accident earlier this morning hold some kind of note that has our address. Why hasn’t your stepmom contacted me about it? Do you know about it?”

Chaewon brushes her bangs back and her lips, “Yeah,” she says in a low voice, “I’m at the hospital right now. We’re waiting for her to wake up,”

“Report back to me when she does then,”

After he hangs up on her, Chaewon heaves another sigh, “Don’t you ever get tired of using me to get to your wives?”  

Once Chaewon detaches her back from the wall, she decides to dial Goeun. When Goeun picks up her call Chaewon’s “Meet me at the pool. Let’s have a medley relay,” stops her from being able to even say ‘hello’.

Chaewon pockets her phone and catches a cab at the side of the road. 


Eunbi is wide awake when she sees the same young lady earlier returned to the stool. Then she sees a woman in a long white coat, who she assumes is a doctor and also the lass’s mother, checking her status with the help of a monitor. “Everything appears to be normal but how are you feeling?” when she directed the question to Eunbi, she can only hum because first of all she can’t recall being involved in an accident, and second of all who is the pretty young woman staring at her? “As long as you’re feeling fine that’s all that matters. I’ll ask your nurse to bring in something for you to eat. If your condition doesn’t get worse then you can go home tomorrow afternoon,”

Eunbi bows her head to show her gratitude. Then a second later, the doctor make room for herself at the foot of Eunbi’s bed. “What is your name?”

Her voice is so benevolent that Eunbi feels she can’t keep any secrets from her, “Eunbi, Kwon Eunbi,”

To her surprise, the woman appears puzzled. “Kwon Eunbi? Is your sister Kwon Joohyun?”

Eunbi’s eyes widen a little, “Oh, you know my sister?”

The doctor turns to the young lady who has been doing most of the listening and stutters a little as she says, “Hyewon, can you go to the staff’s room and get me a drink from the vending machine? Water is fine, my bag is in my office if you need to grab some change,”

“Uh-huh? Oh...sure,” the lass identify as Hyewon answer before she leaves, dragging her feet. Eunbi ponders why the doctor would dismiss her own daughter with an excuse, but when the doctor turns to her, she can guess why. 

“Eunbi, what are you doing here in Seoul? Where are Joohyun and Jisun?” There's a hint of concern in her voice and her defined eyes were soft. 

Now Eunbi is dying to know who this doctor is, “You know the name of my dad’s girlfriend too? Who are you?”

The doctor appears to be scared as she scoots closer to cup Eunbi’s hands in hers, “I’m a friend of them. Child, answer me. Where are your sister and Jisun? Where did your father hide you guys?”

Hide? Eunbi shakes her head, “We’re not hiding though. We’re staying in Busan. You know my dad too, doctor? Do you by any chance know where he is?” this time, it’s Eunbi’s turn to grab the woman’s hands. Desperately, she fastens her grip, “Can you tell me where I can find him? My mother is very sick. He said he was going out to make money but he hasn't come back. It’s been more than five years and my sister and I are worried sick. He sent us a letter a few weeks ago saying he is still making money but he has stopped sending money years ago, please doctor. Can you tell me where I can find my dad?”

Hyewon’s mother shushes her a little to calm her down as her emotions were robbing the attention of the whole room. Then in a low but audible voice she says, “I’ve been sending your father money every other month, is he not using it to help Jisun and you girls? And what do you mean he isn’t with you girls? He told me that with the money I’ve been sending, he was able to get medicine to treat your mother and was sending you two to school. Is he not doing that?”

Eunbi is on the verge of tears now due to confusion and in a low, defeated voice she asks, “What medicine and what school? My father ran away with our money a long time ago. He said he was using it to better his life so he can move us in with him,”

The woman in the coat scoffs, “That dirty man. He lied to me then,” before she loses her cool, she looks Eunbi in the eyes, “I’ll see if I can contact him for you. But why are you alone? No one on the bus claimed to know you,”

“My mother’s health isn’t doing so good and she really wanted to see her daughter. I came to Seoul to meet her daughter. Can you help me find her? I have her house address on me,” as Eunbi attempts to search through her pockets she realizes she wasn't in her normal clothes but the hospital’s gown. “Where are my clothes, doctor?”

The older woman grabs and presses both of Eunbi’s arms down in order to keep her calm again, “I know where Jisun’s daughter is. In fact, she was here a moment ago. I’ll see where she went but when the nurse brings your food in a moment, you have to eat it for me alright? After you’ve eaten, we’ll all talk about her going back with you okay?”

Eunbi smiles. She is grateful and feels that there is no one luckier than her. On her way to Seoul, she was afraid that she wouldn’t be able to find this Chaewon in a city the size of Seoul. However, to hear that Chaewon isn’t far, Eunbi is hopeful that she can help extend her mother’s will to live on.

Except, Chaewon is exactly how she imagined.

Cold and distant.