Revelation

Daughters of Busan

Chaewon and Eunbi are back at Sian’s apartment so Eunbi could take a proper shower and finally change out of her dirty clothes, although she herself has forgotten about the dried mud on her clothes and skin. Before they leave for their six-hour drive to Seoul, Eunbi exits the bathroom and enters her room, all the while, drying her hair with a towel when she sees Chaewon standing by her bedside. The younger appears to be glancing over the envelope on her bed.

The moment Chaewon hears Eunbi’s footsteps, she turns only her head to look over. Seeing Eunbi in a one-piece and the cut barely falling over her knees, Chaewon finds Eunbi slightly attractive with her long, dark hair plaster down with water.

“Did you open the letter, yet? Your mom left it for you. I’ve been meaning to give it to you but there was never a good time,” Eunbi says before she realizes the look on Chaewon’s face.

The other doesn’t answer right away. Instead, she faces the bed again and heaves a sharp sigh. “Get rid of it,“

Eunbi’s jaw drops a little and due to shock stops drying her hair, to straighten up, “Why? Don’t you want to know what were your mom’s last words?”

Chaewon the corner of her lips then she spins around and with a dull face says, “Hurry up and change, then come out,” when she attempts to slip by the older, Eunbi grabs a firm hold of her arm and prevents her from running away.

With their gazes glued onto each other, Eunbi swears at one point hatred filled the younger’s pretty eyes, “Chaewon, why do you seem mad? I thought you’ve acknowledged your mom?”

“I acknowledged her but I never forgave her,”

Eunbi frowns, “What’s there to forgive? You said you covered up for her and set her free because you were afraid of what your father would do,” Chaewon scoffs then break eye contact first. She glares into the dark hallway as if she’s about to hold a staring competition with the devil. When she doesn’t answer, Eunbi tugs her arm, “What is it? Is there something I don’t know?”

It takes a couple of quiet seconds then Chaewon assures, “It’s nothing. I know what’s in the letter. It’ll probably be along the lines that she was sorry for leaving me but had reasons to. That she misses me and regrets not seeing my face before she died. She probably apologized saying that she couldn’t bring me with her because I’m the heiress of Soul Group and that would devastate my dad and grandparents. It would be kidnapping if I went with her as she doesn’t have the money and power to fight for custody of me,” Chaewon flashes Eunbi a thin smile, “Jisun was very soft-hearted and indecisive. Any letter from her would without a doubt be filled with self-hate and her blaming herself because Jisun died thinking she abandoned me,”

Eunbi’s lips parted, speechless and unsure of what to say. Everything Chaewon is spewing is things Eunbi could hear Jisun say. Slowly, her grip around Chaewon’s arm loosen and it draws Chaewon’s attention. When both of her arms fell limply beside her, Eunbi’s eyes were shifty and in the end could only whisper, “I’m sorry,” Glancing up, Chaewon is a little taken aback that from Eunbi’s side profile, her eyes were watery. “I’m sorry, Chaewon,”

Chaewon places a hand on the shorter’s head and sigh, “If you’re really sorry then hurry up and put something on. Or are you confident because you’re single?”

As if Eunbi was never on the verge of breaking down, the lass bounces back with a notable scoff, “What do you know about my love life?”

“A lot,” Chaewon blurts out without having to think about it, “The way you don’t appreciate pick up lines, dodges compliments and gets serious about it, oh, and has never had a cell phone until now,”

Eunbi frowns, “What does that have to do with anything? My family was dirt poor,”

Chaewon shakes her head, “So what happens when you miss your boyfriends? Do you walk to their shacks? Do they come to yours? Were they all dirt poor too? No one tried to get you a phone because they ever missed you or just wanted to hear from you?”

Eunbi flatten her eyes, “Are you done? If you are then get out so I can change,” 


Thirty minutes into their drive, Chaewon didn’t expect Eunbi to fall asleep on her. Initially, she thought Eunbi could entertain and amuse her so she wouldn’t sleep at the wheel. However, thirty-one minutes later from their starting point, Chaewon can only shake her head in disappointment.

The time is 2:32 AM when Chaewon pulls into a 24-hour gas station. After refilling the gas tank and buying a set of iced coffees, she taps Eunbi’s forehead with one of the freezing drinks until the woman flinches and wakes up. Eunbi doesn’t see the drink and instead hurriedly asks, “Are we in Seoul already?”

Chaewon chuckles at the fact that Eunbi appears oblivious she’s been pranked, “Almost. Another forty minutes then we’ll be in Seoul,” Chaewon waits for the other to gather herself then she adds, “Who did you need to see?”

When Eunbi finally notices the coffee and takes it with a small “thank you” she exhaustingly leans her head back against the headrest. “The doctor...your stepmother,”

Chaewon sets her cup of coffee down in one of the cupholders then looks at Eunbi, “Why?”

Eunbi squeezes the plastic container a little and reveals, “Last time, she told me she’s been in contact with him. My father hasn’t been home for five years and I want him to come home. Joohyun isn’t herself anymore and I don’t know what to do,”

Although Chaewon understands why Eunbi is looking for her father, she doesn’t recall knowing this Joohyun or anyone by that name, “Who’s Joohyun?”

Eunbi forces a small smile, although Chaewon couldn’t see under the night sky and shadows, “She’s my older sister. You haven’t met her, yet, she’s not in Busan at the moment,”

Chaewon hums as she processes Eunbi’s words but something didn’t sit right with her.

She swears she’s seen it, in the text messages between Jisun and Hokjae. They had only ever spoken about him having one child too—a daughter. It was a little over a decade ago, but Chaewon vividly remembers said girl being around her age. In the messages, Jisun has said that she wanted Chaewon and Hokjae’s baby girl to meet one day and become friends. But if Eunbi was the baby girl then who is Joohyun?

Right before Chaewon can ask any questions, they hear a ding and realize it came from her phone. Chaewon fishes the phone out of her pocket and checks it. While she scrolls through her phone and texts like a pro, Eunbi can only look on enviously. Chaewon’s speedy leaves Eunbi impress once again and the passenger can't help but thinks it’s incredible. “You just got a new phone, too, but people already know your number?” Eunbi, inexperienced, asks.

Chaewon wears a smug and shakes her head, “No, I kept my old number when I got the new phone,”

“Oh,” Eunbi expresses softly then when she tries to question Chaewon, the lass holds the device close to her lips.

“It’s me, Chaewon,” she says aloud and it takes Eunbi a second to fathom what she was doing. “I’m actually on my way there. Someone needed to see you in person,”

Chaewon is on the phone and the way she positions it is new to Eunbi. Eunbi pouts a little as she didn’t know what to do. Judging from the conversation, she can tell Chaewon is on the phone with the doctor. After a few laughs and words exchanged, Chaewon hangs up the call and glances over to the woman who has been listening and patiently waiting for her. “Alright let’s go to Seoul,” she sings. 


Seoul was a lot prettier at night from what Eunbi can remember. A city of lights, a place that never sleeps, home of fireflies. Compare to Busan, Seoul is brighter in every aspect. The only thing it doesn’t have is the sea.

Once Chaewon pulls up to the entrance, where they see Mira waiting by the sliding glass doors waving to them, Eunbi freezes. Her heart is racing, afraid of the unknown. How much will Mira expose and will it damage any relationships she has with Chaewon or her father?

Chaewon sees that Eunbi’s hand in on the handle, but the older isn’t moving. “Why aren’t you getting out?”

Steadily, Eunbi spins around until she and Chaewon’s eyes meet. “I’m going then. Run your errands well,”

Chaewon readily tries to make fun of Eunbi’s serious words but before she can let out a sound, Eunbi pulls the handle and leaves. Chaewon watches as Eunbi approaches Mira timidly. Although she finds Eunbi acting a bit funny, Chaewon puts on a huge grin when she sees Mira waving to her again. Chaewon waves back then see Mira take Eunbi inside.

When they were out of her sight, Chaewon pulls out her phone and checks the messages from Mr. Oh.

It’s done, Miss Chaewon.

Chaewon scrolls down a bit and sees a man, tied up with blood running down the side of his head. His mouth has been gagged with a bloody cloth and his pants at the knees were covered in the dark, color red.

We’re at the shack, waiting for farther instructions. The Chairman is at hotel Le Meridien.

Chaewon inputs the hotel’s dub into the GPS then drives off. 


Mira hand Eunbi her water in a paper cup then helps herself into the couch opposite of Eunbi. “When Chaewon called me, I didn’t expect you to be the person who wanted to see me. Hyewon told me that Chaewon said some bad words to you, then when Hyewon woke up, you were already gone,”

Despite the stress and pressure, Eunbi is under, she spares the woman a kind smile, “They weren’t that bad. I can’t even remember what she said,”

Mira keeps her motherly, warm smile, then pushes, “Let me guess the reason you wanted to talk to me, child. Does it have anything to do with your father?” Eunbi forms a thin line with her lips and nods. Immediately, that’s Mira’s cue to disclose, “I think it would have been nice if I knew about your situation earlier. Maybe Jisun and you girls wouldn’t have suffered as much as you did. That day, after you came to the hospital and left, I was able to contact your father. He gave me lots of excuses so I thought it’s time I tell you the truth. It would be better if Joohyun was here too but,” there’s a long pause as Mira pushes her hair back and tries to look Eunbi in the eyes, “he’s not your father,” 


Chaewon stares at the room number for a while. The golden number one that indicates it’s one of the VIPs room. She inhales sharply knowing she either end it quickly or clings onto false hope. She blinks, sluggishly then raises a fist to the door. A moment later she knocks and hears a voice.

“Who is it?”

“Housekeeping,” Chaewon says. When the heavy, redwood door is cracked open, Chaewon’s eyes widen in shock. Her father is standing before her and not in his wheelchair. On the bed, Chaewon makes eye contact with a woman who has the blanket pull over her body.

“Chaewon?” Goeun gasps.