Suspect

Daughters of Busan

It’s 6 A.M. and though the sun has yet to peak the horizon, Eunbi is wide awake and productive. With a cheer, she holds up a familiar shirt and presents it to Sian. Sian, who was stirring breakfast, bacon, and eggs, stops to look at it, “Isn’t that…?” she trails off and waits for an explanation instead. 

Eunbi wears a satisfied smile as she coos, “It’s Chaewon’s shirt. I stayed up all night to sew it back together. What do you think? Doesn’t it look like  new?”

With her all, Sian gives Eunbi two thumbs up, “Yup! Your sewing skill is worth admiration and deserves recognition,”

The corner of Eunbi’s lips raises as it feels good to be praised, “Right? It’s all thanks to Joohyun and my mom. With my talent, I think I can open up a sewing shop soon,” Eunbi jokes, her confidence through the roof.

Excitement and happiness, simultaneously, rushes through her veins. She couldn’t wait to show Chaewon what has become of the ripped shirt.

“Did you fix it to give it back to her?” Sian asks and immediately Eunbi knows who she is referring to.

Eunbi rolls the shirt up around her forearm and keeps it close to her chest, “Of course. I’ll give it to her along with the letter,” no words were needed for Sian to understand what letter Eunbi is talking about. So with a gentle smile, she goes back to cooking while Eunbi returns to her room to start packing. Since it’s Tuesday and Sian promised Eunbi can take the day off to pay Joohyun a visit.

Quickly and quietly, Eunbi folds the dress shirt up nicely and sets it down by her pillow. Then, out of the wooden drawer, she grabs a bag of pears for the children at the foster home and an old jacket that no longer fit her. Joohyun has always been a size smaller than Eunbi so instead of being handed down Joohyun’s clothes, Eunbi gets new clothes to pass it up to the older gal.

“Do you need money for the cab’s fare?” Sian shouts from the kitchen.

Eunbi hums in objection then say, “Mister said he was done repairing my bike yesterday so I can pick it up anytime. I don’t think it’ll rain today so I’ll take my bike,” 


Chaewon is halfway out of the parked car when she sees Goeun jog towards her. The lass’s arms were spread apart as she cries out to Chaewon in a high pitched voice. To match the nice sunny weather, the latter is in a cold shoulder pink blouse with a white pencil skirt. Her wavy hair is tied from the side and her locks tuck in front of her. Before Chaewon can return her peace, Goeun crashes into her with a squeeze, “Aw, babe, it felt like ages since we’ve talked,”

Chaewon scoffs a chuckle as wraps her arms around Goeun’s nape and buries the other’s face in the crook of her neck, “Psh. We talked every day I was in Busan and it’s only been three or four days,”

“Fine, see each other,” Goeun stands corrected, making Chaewon chortle in victorious. But, before they can bask anymore in each other’s warm embrace, Chaewon hears her chauffeur approach them with a calm statement.

“Miss Chaewon, it’s 9:58,”

Chaewon breaks the hug and hums, but before she can move away completely, Goeun stops her, “Oh Chaewon! I made this since I knew you wouldn’t have any time to do it,” as Goeun shuffles through the large, artsy bag hanging from her shoulder, Chaewon is curious to see what she has prepared. When Goeun pulls out a sign, it lights up a smile on Chaewon’s face.

Welcome back Copper,” Chaewon reads aloud, “you remember my cousin’s nickname?”

Goeun beams, “I always remember everything you tell me,” there is a short pause before she asks, “do you like it?”

Chaewon bobs her head energetically, “And I’m sure Copper will love it too when she sees it, let’s go see her,” quickly she takes the lass by the arm and they hurry into the building.

Waiting among and along a line of people, they watch as people exit a doorway. While people detect their friends, families, and partners, Chaewon and Goeun are searching for two women, although they care more for the one who would be in ripped jeans and a tuck dress shirt. When Goeun recognizes the familiar wavy caramel hair, she pinches Chaewon’s sleeve and points, “Over there!”

As they expected, a brunette woman in shades, a striped dress shirt, ripped black jeans pulling a small suitcase catches their attention. Beside her is a taller and older female in a plain black shirt and pants. However, a second later a stranger beats Chaewon to the punch, and shouts the woman’s name, “It’s Chaeyeon! The Korean supermodel from Japan!”

In a matter of time, the lass now identifies as Chaeyeon is encircled by fans demanding signatures and pictures. Meanwhile behind her, who Chaewon assumes is a manager, tries to keep the wild group of people from touching Chaeyeon from behind. While Chaewon and Goeun wait, suffering from the sudden increase in noise, it takes about five to six short interactions between security steps in and Chaeyeon is towards Chaewon after locking gazes for a moment.

Although it took half an hour before they were in a cab, Chaewon and Goeun express no sign of fatigue. Instead, they were lively. Chaewon’s arms are wrap around Chaeyeon’s waist as the celebrity sits between the lasses with her manager in the front with the driver. Gently, Chaeyeon caresses Chaewon’s hand while she rests her head on her cousin’s shoulder. Goeun, on the other hand, tries to balance catching up and letting Chaewon have her cousin all to herself.

“Are you going to be staying in Busan for a few days?” Goeun interrogates.

“Yeah, actually I have schedules later today so after we grab lunch I will have to leave for a bit. But I will be staying a few days since I have some things to discuss with Chaewon,”

Chaewon straightens her head and back but doesn’t release Chaeyeon, “Me?”

Chaeyeon scrunches her nose in a lovingly way then pats down on the younger’s hand, “Yes, you,”

Chaewon bites her bottom lip. The last time they had a discussion, Chaeyeon dropped the bomb that she’ll be living in Japan permanently after a Korean agency there scouted and signed her. Although she asked for Chaewon’s support back then, awkward 13-year-old Chaewon who was without a mother a year before wasn’t ready to let her go. So when Chaeyeon disappeared from Chaewon’s life, it generated a need to become possessive.

At a table in After Ribs, Chaewon scans the room for any signs of Eunbi. Wondering if it’s her day off as she’s nowhere to be seen. Distracted, Chaewon doesn’t hear when Chaeyeon and Goeun are indulged in a simple conversation.

“I bet you made that sign, huh? Chaewon isn’t very creative or good at coloring,” Chaeyeon says, eyeing the ‘Welcome back Copper’ sign resting on the table next to Goeun. The other doesn’t deny it and nods.

“Do you like it?” she shyly asks. Chaeyeon bobs her head as she offers out a hand to see it. However, before Goeun gives it to her, she notices something, “Chaewon,” she begins. When the busybody doesn’t answer, Goeun tries again, but louder this time.

It made Chaewon jump a little before she tries to pinpoint who’s talking to her. Seeing that it’s Goeun, Chaewon mouth the word ‘what’ but otherwise doesn’t make a sound. With a flick of her head, Chaewon got that Goeun is gesturing to the untouched plate of rice and ribs. “You haven’t touched your food, let alone your drink yet. When will you let go of Chaeyeon and eat something?”

“When?” Chaewon retorts with a scoff, “Haven’t you ever heard of the saying blood is thicker than water? I literally can’t let go of Chaeyeon even if I wanted to. Our blood attracts,”

In what seems like forever, Goeun rolls her eyes. Chaewon is good at twisting things. The observer, Chaeyeon, giggles at Chaewon’s playfulness before tapping her on the nose. “That’s enough. Let go of me and eat your food. You said the ribs here are delicious, so why aren’t you eating?”

Chaewon looks down at her plate and suddenly lost her appetite. Recalling how Eunbi hop from table to table, covered in sweat while trying to keep a smile, to satisfy needy customers only to clean up after their snobbiness irate her. Sure it’s what Eunbi needs to do to put food on the table but given that she took care of Jisun for years, shouldn’t she at least lived more comfortably?

“Chaewon?” Goeun says to bring her back into the present. When they exchange glances, Goeun points her chin at Sian who has joined them at the table.

“How was the food?” Sian asks as she makes herself comfortable in the chair between Goeun and Chaeyeon.

“It’s good,” Chaeyeon and Goeun respond in unison. Sian bounces her head once as if to say ‘good’ before she directly asks Chaewon a question.

“Who’s this? Is she your girlfriend?” Sian asks bluntly, looking at Chaewon and Chaeyeon.

Chaeyeon quickly corrects Sian and introduces herself as Chaewon’s cousin, although in the end, Sian doesn’t seem convinced but leaves after telling them to enjoy the rest of their meal. Goeun shrugs when Chaeyeon appear to be asking ‘who was that?’ and ‘what was that about?’.

“That’s the owner of this house,” Chaewon says after reading the expressions on their faces, “anyway, about what you wanted to discuss Chaeyeon, will that wait after your schedule or?”

With a soft smile Chaeyeon hums, “Yeah, I’ll drop by your office soon. Speaking of schedule, I  really should get going. Chaewon, even if you don’t finish your food, at least take a bite before you go back to work. I’ll contact you later. Goeun, thank you for the sign and for coming to pick me up with Chaewon. It was good seeing you. Maybe Chaewon can introduce us to some more hotspots later. I’ll take care of the bill so leave whenever Chaewon is done. Okay?”

Goeun doesn’t answer vocally but nods. Chaeyeon pats Chaewon on the head then stands to leave. As Chaeyeon goes to the counter, Goeun leans in close and whispers over to Chaewon, “Is something wrong, you look serious all of a sudden?”

Chaewon, slightly slouching in her seat, sighs.


“Really?” Goeun nearly shouts, her eyes wider than usual.

The duo has transitioned their location to a more remote area in a park, in walking distance of After Ribs. While facing each other, Chaewon’s hands are in her pocket as she calmly reveals her thoughts, “I have a feeling Wonyoung planted the bugs to cause a dispute between my dad and me,”

Goeun frowns, “Why would she do that? You’ve just met and got to know her a few days ago,”

Chaewon shakes her head in uncertainty, “That’s why it’s weird. My dad may be sly and low but he’s never thought of hidden cameras and recorders. If he did, I wouldn’t have had to lend him a hand in revamping the whole staff at HQ,”

Goeun pinches her own chin as she ponders the possibilities. While in that moment, Chaewon suggests, “The only way to find out who’s doing it, is to check my office, the pool, and house in Seoul for illegal wiring,”

As the atmosphere intensifies, Goeun throws in a short question, “Do you suspect anyone else?”

Chaewon looks deep and far into Goeun’s twinkling eyes while wearing an emotionless face.

You, Na Goeun. I suspect you.  



A/N: Sorry for the long wait. I've been busy >_< Anywho, Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you all~