Injured

Daughters of Busan

Although the sky is a sea of gray clouds, it was a little past sunrise. Sitting side by side, Eunbi and her mother bathe in the morning breeze for the first time, gazing out into the vast open sea. Searching for nothing but liberty. Under their bare feet, the sand is soft and refreshingly cold to the touch, but little did they mind. Ever since her mother’s health starts deteriorating, Eunbi never had a quiet day, although Joohyun is the best oldest sister out there.

However, regardless of how much they give up for their family, it is never enough. Their mother constantly yearns her past life. Eunbi understands that the woman regrets throwing it away, but she can’t help feeling bitter.

While she sits in silence, listening to the older woman speaks, Eunbi wonders how great this Kim Chaewon is. How perfect is she that Eunbi’s mother would miss her without missing a day and even to the point of getting sick. How remarkable is she that the older would lose her appetite and vomits when taking her medicine because she couldn’t take it? The more she thinks about this so-called-daughter, the more Eunbi develops this animosity towards her.

“Chaewon was so pretty,” she hears her mother say, “she was so bright and independent that my in-laws never scolded me once for not having given birth to a boy. It’s been ten years, I wonder how she’s doing. I wonder if she’s ashamed of having a mother like me,” the woman’s voice is so frail that Eunbi hardly heard her. The waves breaking against the rocks were also of no help.

“Wherever she is,” Eunbi begins, “I hope she realizes she’s the luckiest girl out there to have you for a mother,”

The senile woman wears a sad smile as she rests her head on the other’s shoulder. “Hang in there, my Eunbi. In a couple of days, you and Joohyun will be as free as the birds we used to see every Summer. But before I go, I...I want to see and ask for her forgiveness,” her words were like daggers to Eunbi’s heart, but Eunbi does her best to hold back tears. She shouldn’t be the one crying anyway. If anyone should be crying, it should be someone name Chaewon. 


Inside of a Starbucks café, by one of the busiest intersection, Chaewon enters the homey place to have some creamy coffee and see Goeun. In charge of and standing behind the register, Goeun brightens up when Chaewon told her the much-awaited news.

“I can’t believe your father is finally giving you work!”

Chaewon smiles, revealing her teeth, “Seriously, finally!”

Goeun leans in so no strangers would hear their more-than-unwelcome-chit-chattering, “So when do you start and what will you be doing?”

A smug is visible on Chaewon’s pale face, “You’re taking a lunch break in ten right? I’ll tell you then,” Chaewon is aware that the suspense might kill Goeun but there is a line and she wanted to tell her even bigger, better news.

Chaewon’s large peppermint mocha is half empty when Goeun slides into the empty seat across from her. And as usual, Goeun appears more excited than Chaewon. “Tell me, tell me. When are you starting and which position?”

Chaewon brushes some of her locks behind her back then begin mixing and playing with her drink by making small circles with the straw, “First and foremost, I have one week to convince my mom to leave my dad. Then I get to shadow him and weed out bad eggs,”

Goeun form a thin line with her lips in uncertainty, “Are you sure you want to do that? Breaking your dad and stepmom up, I mean. Your dad admired and loved her a lot. Your stepmom is also very nice to you and you get along with Hyewon. So why is he suddenly bringing up more serious accusations?”

Chaewon admits she adores Goeun for having a knack to keep families together, the lass did dream of becoming a family lawyer and Chaewon knows she would have been a great attorney, but some families are healthier broken up. “I reckon it has to do with his will. My dad can’t stand owing anyone. He believes that if he doesn’t pay it forward then karma will come back to bite him,”

The woman in a green apron frowns, “So what are you planning to do?” Goeun can guess what her friend is going to do. Chaewon will either use the people around her or face her stepfamily with the truth.

Chaewon doesn’t answer but simply shrug while wearing a cunning smile. 


Chaewon’s first target, Mr. Oh, has a lot to offer. Although he works for her father as his personal and most trusted assistant, Chaewon knows the old man would never die in her father’s stead. Why would he ever when his boss is both physically and verbally abusive? The reckless man, though wheelchair-ridden, isn’t afraid of rumors when he leaves bruises and marks on the old man’s face.

Chaewon is slightly amused when the elder did not dare look her in the eyes. Instead, his eyes were on the maroon napkins used to wrap a silver spoon, fork, and knife. Ever since Chaewon promised to ‘borrow him for lunch’ and brought him to the restaurant, the elder has not said a single word. Chaewon’s mood tends to turn sour when she’s with bad company, but for some odd reason, she finds the skittish Mr. Oh on the verge of tears entertaining.

As far as Chaewon can remember, when Mr. Oh started working for her father, he wasn’t a crybaby although still taciturn. However, just weeks later he started carrying handkerchiefs around and interacted less with the family. Not that anyone but only the observant Chaewon noticed.

“Is your cheek alright?” Chaewon asks out of boredom, eliciting the man to immediately cover the healing cut on his cheek.

“Y-yes, miss Chaewon,”

Chaewon clicks her tongue and grabs an extra linen on her side of the table before carefully offering it to him with one hand. Mr. Oh takes the napkin with broken bows as if he has never bowed before in his whole life so his body begins to malfunction. Then he presses the serviette against his face and looks around with shifty, anxious eyes. “Wh-what did you, miss Chaewon, want to di-discuss?”

Seeing how shaky he is, Chaewon presume he has committed a sin against either her or her father. Otherwise, he had no reason to stutter a few times in front of her. It’s not like she ever has or will raise a hand to him. She isn't like her father and likes to believe she's better than him.

Chaewon wears a coerce friendly smile before she gently asks, “Discuss? Did I say I had something to discuss with you? I didn't right?" She doesn't give him any room to reply, "Don’t anyone ever treat you out without it being work or business-related?” When he merely shakes his head, Chaewon proceeds, “Well, relax. Lunch breaks are meant to be work-free. We won't discuss work, however, I’m sure you’re aware that I will be working soon. That means we’ll be seeing more of each other and I couldn’t think of anyone better than you to rely on when I start. That's why I brought you here, to my favorite restaurant, because I thought we could use some bonding,”

There is a moment of silence as the waiter brings over their steak. Then he picks up a bottle from under the cart he pushes around, “More champagne, miss?” Chaewon didn't realize her glass was empty so she lets him pour her some more. Once he finishes, he holds the glass close to him and adds, “Can I get you two anything else?”

“We should be fine,” Chaewon says, dismissing the server. When he is out of their sight, Chaewon gesture for Mr. Oh to eat, “Have some mister. The steak here is out of this world,” 


No place is busier than the emergency care center and as a result, it took her stepmom twenty minutes later than the promised time before she jogs to where Chaewon is sitting, on a bench made of stone near the hospital’s main entrance. Upon approaching, the woman with a bob cut and wearing a long white coat apologizes between broken pants before she plops beside Chaewon. She groans, both in pain and happiness. “Finally I can sit down. My feet were killing me. Sorry for keeping you waiting, hon,” she said before Chaewon can offer her a melon flavored drink from a plastic bag.

“I can wait, I have nothing to do,” Chaewon admits, then takes out an already opened candy bar from the same bag.

The woman in her early forties, though she look like she's in her mid-thirties, quenches her thirst and gulps down the drink in one go. She then dry-gargle in delight and her lips. “Is Hyewon at home? How come she isn’t keeping you company?”

One end of Chaewon’s lips turn up at the mentioning of Hyewon, “Actually, I wanted to talk to you about her. I feel that Hyewon doesn’t feel safe at home, especially when neither you nor I are there with her all the time. Dad hasn’t said a word to her after you got promoted and mostly stayed in the hospital,”

The older woman runs a hand under her short hair and heave a sigh, “I know your father has his doubts and insecurities, but if Hyewon and I move out she will be lonelier,” the woman rests one hand over Chaewon’s, “I also know you girls are closer than ever and I would hate it if your dad or I were to destroy that attachment. Hyewon wouldn’t sit still and I would be in a lot of pain if we have to move away from you and your dad. Hyewon and I love you and your dad a lot,” She speaks in a calming, slow voice, a doctor's basic.

Chaewon hums, more serious now, “I know that,” she pauses to collect her thoughts, “but I can’t stand seeing Hyewon afraid when dad is home. A child shouldn’t be afraid of her parent,” Chaewon spits, annoy that she can’t control a damn thing.

Instead of agreeing or disagreeing, the woman combs Chaewon’s hair with her hand and says, “I know, I’ll find some time tonight and come home so we can all talk about it, alright?”


When Chaewon cracks the door to Hyewon’s room open, she sees that the lass is eating a bag of chips on her bed. Chaewon nearly laughs as the sight reminds her of someone homeless. Not that she thinks being homeless is funny. With a soft knock, Hyewon instantly looks up, her eyes wide in shock. “Oh, Chaewon,” she says in relief. Chaewon doesn’t wait for Hyewon’s approval as she steps into the room and shut the door.

“What are you doing? Just snacking?” Chaewon sits on the edge of the foot of the bed while Hyewon chews comfortably.

“Hm. I forgot I saved it in the closet in case our housekeeper changes my sheets and finds it,” Hyewon then holds the bag out to Chaewon and offers her some, “Have some,”

Chaewon shakes her head then smile, “I talked to mom, she’s coming home tonight,” when Chaewon thought the news would cheer Hyewon up, her smile fades the second Hyewon stops eating and her eyes turn red.

And before she breaks down, she asks in an injured tone, “Is it because they’re going to get a divorce?”