Chapter 7

Her Secret Admirer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The very next day, Wheein finds Byulyi entering the room together with Yongsun as they talked with each other. She didn’t look feverish anymore unlike when she visited her yesterday, however, she observes that something was wrong with her. She seemed dull and gloomy. Maybe because she has just recovered?

 

She walks over the duo and stands next to Byulyi who just took a seat and greeted them.


”Morning, Whee.”

 

Her eyebrows shot upwards as she looks over Yongsun, expecting her to say something about the situation. She’s thankful that Yongsun got the message across.

 

“Please, don’t look at me like that. I did everything I could do to stop her from coming but she’s stubborn as a bull,” Yongsun shrugs as she pointed at her friend who frowned at her for selling her out.

 

“Oh, come on. Not you too,” Byulyi groans, digging her head on the table as she covers herself with her arms. She peeked through her palm and saw a disapproving look on Wheein’s face, “I’m fine, really! My temperature is normal and I swear I don’t have a cold anymore!”

 

With that statement, Wheein grabs the opportunity to lay her palm on Byulyi’s forehead, her face close enough to feel her warmth. The action startled Byulyi and Yongsun laughed at the scene.

 

“But you seem hot, though?” she teased. She expected Byulyi to have a comeback but that didn’t come through, instead, she was greeted by a spluttered incomprehensible noises from her, “Hey, are you really alright?” she asked, doubt now laced in her voice as she rubbed Byulyi’s back soothingly.

 

Hearing the banter, Hyejin emerged from the entrance and swayed her way to the trio, “The usual bickering first thing in the morning, huh,” she said as soon as she rests her arms around Wheein’s.

 

“Hey! I’m not picking a fight with her!” Wheein cried, “What I’m doing is actually the opposite! Look how I’m worried about her health by asking her if she’s fine!” she explains after feeling wronged by her best friend.

 

“Worried, my ,” someone mumbled amidst the situation. This person doesn’t need to be named as everyone else would have guessed it. Wheein started to confront her and the two of them bickered once again. This scene isn’t foreign to any of them at all. Not only Hyejin and Yongsun, but everyone in the room laughed as they continued having fun watching the two having their daily feud.

 

Everyone was laughing together but it’s only Wheein who notices how Byulyi’s smile doesn’t reach her eyes. Her eyes don’t reflect the usual glint she has whenever she laughs and it bothers Wheein. So much.

 

“Hey, you alright?”

 

Byulyi looks at her with vulnerability in her eyes before it was gone and replaced with that empty and soulless eyes of hers that Wheein has come to disdain.

 

“Of course,” and her answer didn’t sit well with Wheein.

 

Something is definitely wrong with Byulyi but she couldn’t figure out what it is. She didn’t push further, not when Byulyi’s eyes were pleading her so.

 

 

Their project has almost come to its end. The two of them only needed to revise their paper before making their presentation. The days flew so fast that Wheein couldn’t believe that there’s only a month and a week left before the semester ends. The last month of the semester is dedicated to their studies that is why their teachers have the due date for their course requirements next week. It was stressful to be bombarded with requirements but at least it won’t overlap with their exams.

 

She grimaced when she was talking with Cheol earlier saying that they still weren’t done with their paper. Far from it, he said. She reprimanded him for procrastinating everything yet Cheol defended himself, telling Wheein that he only works the best when he is in pressure. The latter could only shake her head in disapproval, “Suit yourself. I hope juggling a three-course requirement is enough pressure for you,” she teased and Cheol couldn’t stop whining at her.

 

When Wheein finally finished reminiscing what happened earlier, she has finally noticed Byulyi staring at her. She looked like she has something to say but was having second thoughts about it. Wheein asked her if something’s wrong.

 

“Nothing,” Byulyi drawls trying to buy some time. Her thoughts are in shambles right now. It’s messy. It’s everywhere yet words just stop at the tip of her tongue. The two of them resumed editing their paper, only the click-clack of the keyboard were exchanged between them.

 

“So, about your secret admirer,”

 

“So suddenly?” Wheein chuckled, “That came out of nowhere,”

 

“Oh, nevermind,” and it seemed like it Wheein made a mistake. Stupid. Byulyi looked like she was having a hard time asking her about that yet her reply made it worse. She’s taking a step back.

 

“No, sorry. Ask me,” she pretended not to notice Byulyi’s eyes linger on the box under her bed by typing incomprehensible words then deleting it just to type nonsense again. Wheein was grateful that she and Byulyi are not editing on the same page or else.

 

“Do you still want to know who your secret admirer is?”

 

“Yes,”

 

“Even if that person isn’t who you expected to be?”

 

“Regardless, I still want to know her,” she replied, staring straight to her eyes. Her unwavering gaze made Byulyi’s mouth dry, “I take it back,”

 

“What?”

 

“I know her and I want to know more about her,”

 

Byulyi let out a shaky breath, “Y–you know her?” she tried to act surprised.

 

“– but she doesn’t want to show herself. If you are in my place, sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter