Chapter 6

Her Secret Admirer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She told her parents that she had already eaten dinner at Wheein's and then went straight to her room after her mother talked to her. Every step she took upstairs felt burdensome. It was as if she was chained down. It wouldn't let her take a step forward. Her feet felt heavy and her shoulders were tense. It took her longer than usual to arrive upstairs. As soon as she arrived in her room, she closed its door and plopped on her bed.

 

Byulyi emitted a long and audible breath that mirrored what she’s feeling inside, dejected.

 

She stared at the dirty white ceiling as if it’s the most fascinating thing to watch right now.

 

She closed her eyes but all she could see behind her lids was Wheein’s reaction that played like a broken record.

 

It kept on repeating.

 

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

 

It came to a point that Byulyi could memorize the way Wheein's eyes widen in shock, her breath held for a moment as her face morphed into something that Byulyi could not read.

 

Her heart felt heavy.

 

It somehow broke the little hope she had held on throughout the years.

 

Oh, she has seen it coming. She has seen it coming.

 

She has seen it coming yet it still hurts.

 

It hurts knowing that Wheein would be disappointed if it turned out to be Byulyi. Seeing her reaction earlier was enough to tell her that Wheein doesn’t want it to be her.

 

It hurts. It hurts because it really was her all along.

 

Byulyi has been the one who was sending Wheein those letters ever since they were freshmen.

 

Byulyi has been the one to give those chocolates that Wheein loves.

 

Byulyi has been that person that so cowardly been hiding behind the letters because she doesn’t have the courage to face Wheein.

 

Byulyi has been Wheein’s secret admirer all along.

 

Her heart clenched in pain and sadness at the thought that she was right.

 

That she isn’t the person Wheein thought she would be.

 

Once again, she closed her eyes as she let the lone tear break free. it up, Byulyi. it up.

 

As she opened her eyes, the light flickered for a second distracting her momentarily from her thoughts.

 

She laughed hollowly.

 

I should tell Dad that the light has been flickering every now and then.

 

Her eyes felt heavy and her breath hot.

 

I probably should sleep.

 

Byulyi closed her eyes and lulled herself to sleep.

 

 

 

Byulyi felt like there was a raging earthquake when someone started to shake her awake. For a moment, she felt dizzy. She slowly opens her eyes and saw Yongsun beside her feeling her forehead.

 

She wanted to speak but she could not. feels so dry and it hurts.

 

Yongsun might have figured her mind out as she hands her a glass of water which she gladly takes, “Thanks, Yong.”

 

“You’ve got a fever. I think you should rest today,”

 

Her body was sore and she could barely move. Taking the glass was already a huge task for her.

 

“Yeah, I think I should do that,” she replied after lying back on her bed again.

 

"Was this because of the rain yesterday?" Yongsun inquired as she looked at her. Byulyi nodded and saw how Yongsun's brows furrowed in confusion, "But you always have your umbrella with you? How could you get a cold?"

 

"Wheein and I shared the umbrella but it was small so–

 

She wasn't even finished but she heard Yongsun sigh, "So considerate and thoughtful," she said as she shook her head, "–and stupid too," she scolded but there was no bite behind her words. Byulyi just gave her a sheepish smile that made Yongsun roll her eyes but her small smile betrayed her.

 

“I think you’re Mom is going to take the day-off to watch over you,” Yongsun said as she fixes Byulyi’s fringe that stuck on her forehead like a second-skin.

 

“Please tell her not to, I can take care of myself. Besides, she said yesterday that she has something important coming up today and I can’t let her take a day off just because I’m sick,” she argues and at the same time relieving the coldness of Yongsun’s palm on her cheeks.

 

She feels so hot. She feels like she’s drenched in sweat under her covers.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Byulyi nods weakly and despite closing her eyes, she could see Yongsun shaking her head, “Should I skip school today?”

 

“No! Aw, come on, I’m fine! I won’t die because of this cold,” Byulyi argues then sneezed before she can even excuse herself, “Sorry about that,”

 

“Yong, seriously, I’m fine. As long I have food and meds, you can all leave me alone,” she pleaded not wanting to burden her family as well as her friend. “And I can’t have you skip, not when our teachers like to give seatworks everyday. Come on, it can affect your grades and I don’t want that.”

 

“Please?” it was the last resort Byulyi could do to persuade a stubborn Yongsun to go to school.

 

“Fine, I’ll go. But on one condition,” she negotiates, “Put on a fresh set of clothes, you’re completely drenched in sweat!”

 

“I could kiss you if I could but I can’t! I love you, Yong!” she said as she ran towards her wardrobe to get some clothes.

 

After Byulyi has settled, Yongsun gathered her things as well as the tray and the utensils she got from the kitchen after feeding her friend that her mother had cooked. It took a little persuading and coaxing before Byulyi’s mom gave up and thanked Yongsun for looking out to her daughter.

 

“Yong, you should head out now. You’re almost late,” Byulyi said after checking the time.

 

“Alright, I’m done here,” she replied, rolling her eyes.

 

“Thanks,”

 

Yongsun gently flicked her forehead, “Now, you should rest and get better. That’s the only thank you I’ll receive from you,”

 

Byulyi gave her a cheeky smile that also made her smile.

 

Yongsun was about to go out when she heard Byulyi call out her name, “Can I ask a favor?”

 

“Can you drop this on her locker for me?”

 

Yongsun took the letter from Byulyi’s hand and put it inside her bag, “Will do,”

 

“I just don’t want her to be suspicious about me,” If Byulyi is absent and no letter was given for today, Wheein might connect the dots and Byulyi doesn’t want that to happen.

 

“Rest,” Yongsun cooed, “I have the spare key to your house so that I can visit you later.”

 

“Yes, mom.”

 

And the last thing Byulyi heard before she fell asleep was Yongsun’s whisper that she couldn’t comprehend anymore as her brain was all fuzzy when the med has finally taken effect.

 

 

“So what you’re saying is that Yongsun has been your secret admirer all along?” Hyejin asked slowly, emphasizing each word maybe to help her comprehend what is going on.

 

“Yes, that’s what I’ve said,” she replied but Hyejin stopped her with her hand, cutting her off.

 

“Yongsun? Kim Yongsun? Moon Byulyi’s bestfriend?”

 

Wheein nods everytime to let Hyejin know that she has the right person on her mind right now.

 

“Wait, give me a moment,” and Wheein let her be.

 

Hyejin might have been surprised at the turn of events, she thought.

 

Her friend was a good few feet away from her, whispering to herself. They were currently behind the gymnasium. Wheein decided that she should let Hyejin know about this without anyone hearing so she led her here.

 

“– I don’t understand… Wait, she’s not here… Is that why?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter