xvi. paris, france

Paris En Tu Invierno

(a/n: from now on it's going to be on Yves' point of view (until further notice) Also, this story is far from complete. I apologize for the worry! I would never leave you guys on such a nasty cliffhanger)

I took a bandaid and covered up Jiwoo's freshly cleaned wound. I felt my throat well up as tears threatened to pour. I had to remain strong for her. She sniffles as we sat at the red light in my car. She was sitting there just looking out the window. Her eyes were cold. My heart was shaking furiously in my chest. I began to drive after it changed. I was sure she didn't feel like talking. I couldn't hide how in pain I felt for her. I saw her finally look at me frokm the corner in my eye. 

"Why...did you do this for me?" 

I didn't respond. I just kept my eyes on the road. She touched my hand just to get my attention. I felt hairs raise on the back of my neck. I just shrugged. We sat in the car until we finally pulled up to our apartment building. I watched as Jiwoo opened her door. She looked at me with sadness in her eyes. She whispered "thank you". I smiled weakly. She was still standing there. I bit my lip unsure on what to say now. 

"Uh...I'm sorry for treating you like I didn't...."Jiwoo looked up at me. I nodded, understanding immediately. She stood in her doorway now. The door was gaping open, revealing that Heejin had already had two suitcases packed. Where was Jiwoo going to go when she left? "If you have any questions, just ask them now." 

"Well...when did you start-" 

"I did it in the bathroom today.  During class...I left early. Max was out with his friends or whatever. I found out that those 'friends' were some other girl. So I ran to his apartment and...I couldn't tell you what else I was going to do. I felt like a piece of trash. I thought...I truly felt like I wasn't worth it. Every day here I feel closer to hell," Jiwoo replied. She sighed heavily. "Classes feel blurry. My whole world revolved around Max. And I woke up to a headache because they just kept hitting me the night before. I can't even remember why." 

I felt anger surge through me as she spoke. Her voice sounded tired, not as youthful as it once did. She used to carry a happier tone, but now it was watered down. She grabbed her scarf and held it close to her. It was chilly in the hallway. "I'm here if you need anything, Jiwoo." 

She smiled and then her eyes were watering. "I need a home. I need someone." She started sobbing again. I ran to her and closed the door behind us. I never knew I would be this close to Jiwoo ever again in my life. She held me tight as she cried. I just ran my fingers through her red hair. She looked at me, blinking innocently. I never seen her eyes like this ever since I saw her again. "Sooyoung...." 

"Yes, Jiwoo?" It felt good to hear my actual name again. 

"Can you stay until Heejin comes back? I'm..." She didn't want to say she was scared. I held her as she slept in my arms. I heard her snore a little. I'm guessing it was the first time she truly slept good in a long time. I noticed that she still slept the same way she did. I smiled a little. I wanted to protect her, not for my own selfish reasons, but merely because I really love Jiwoo. I wanted to change everything the moment I saw her again. I wanted her to trust someone again, even if it can't be me. She literally had no one left. My phone buzzed in my pocket. I picked it up and looked at the text message. It was from Bella. 

Greg and I broke up. 

I furrowed my brow. Greg and Bella broke up? And what was I supposed to do about it? I didn't reply. I noticed the door was opening and Heejin walked in with her purse and binders against her torso. "Hey...was I-" 

"Nah." I carefully removed myself from under Jiwoo who was fast asleep. "I just...saw her. And, please feed her when she wakes up. She's been through a lot. And don't let Max come in. Call the police if he does show up." I pat Heejin's shoulder. 

Heejin raised her eyebrows. "When I leave, I want you to take care of her. Please. Take her away from that idiot. " She grabbed my hands. She was desperate. I knew it was intense. Jiwoo was shifting around in her sleep. "I know I can't do but so much. I know you can't either. But please, take her to a therapist. I would take her back home with me, but she refuses to come back." 

I nodded. "I will." 

Heejin hugged me. "I'll see you around. I'll be here until Thursday." 

"Alright." 

I finally settled in my apartment to get a phone call from Bella now. I sighed heavily. "Hello?' 

"Yves...lo siento por no decir adios." (Yves I am sorry for not saying goodbye) 

"It's fine...I'm in France, right now. With a job...and what not. I'm about to drop out of school...." I looked out the window. The sky was turning a beautiful shade of purple with a few heavy clouds ruining the image. 

"I want to see you," Bella says curtly. I wasn't sure how to feel. "I'm hopping on the next train to Francia soon. Can we meet for breakfast? I need to talk to you." 

"Fine. I guess I can squeeze you into my schedule," I say. I look at my calendar. I had nothing to do tomorrow. "I'll pick you up tonight, if need be though. It must be urgent." 

"But, I'll be there around...late," Bella laughs. "I remember you have no sense of time. I guess I'll see you when I get to Francia." 

"Yeah. I guess so." 

The phone call ended. I plugged my phone in and laid back on my couch. I couldn't help but think of Jiwoo. My Jiwoo. The one I met who had rosy cheeks. And that beautiful smile. Compared to this woman I know right now. The one who was broken. There were two different Jiwoos. The one I adored who was young and the one I wanted to get to know who was an adult. Both of them were so mysterious but I thought I knew so well. The skies started to get darker and it began to rain.