xv:roissy-en-france, france.

Paris En Tu Invierno

Yves. 

I would protect Jiwoo if I could. I swore this in my head multiple times. I was to watch my father leave back for his beautiful home back in Seoul today. This was what had to happen in my head. My father, my business partner. I recently dropped out of my university since I'd be working full time basically by next week. I saw him in the sea full of people, in his casual airport fashion, Stacey on his arm. I wonder what would have happened if my parents had stayed together. Would I be the way that I am? Would I be able to love properly? I learned the feeling of it when I finally got to know my father. How broken-hearted he was in letting her go. And the cycle came through when I let Jiwoo go as well. I knew what I had to do to make her stay, but I didn't. 

My father's eyes twinkled the same way they did when I saw pictures of them together. They were never married because his family forbade it. My mother was a country girl, my father was a city man. They saw her as backwards. He came to the country to work. He met my mother and they were dating in secret. They produced two kids. My father was around for my older sister for the wee years of her life and then left after my birth. My mother was painstricken and prided herself in being a single parent. But, what I didn't know was how hard he truly fought for us. He really wanted things to work out, but he couldn't come back. He finally was able to connect with me in high school when he stopped chasing my mother. I truly wondered if I would meet someone who could love me who looked similar to Jiwoo. All the women I was involved with never amounted to Jiwoo's beauty. Not even Bella. I haven't even thought of her ever since I laid eyes on the original thief of my heart. That little girl who peered behind books trying to get my attention. That girl I kissed behind bushes and held her close. I really should have-

"Well, we'll be leaving within an hour. What are you planning to do with the direction of the company right now?" my father shook me from my thoughts with his words. "And are you thinking about our choice?" 

"Choice about what?" 

"Getting married?" 

I huffed an angry sigh. I obviously wasn't going to marry Kim Jung Eun since Jinsoul perfectly stated that she wasn't over her just yet after their messy break up scandal. Jung Eun was accused of cheating with some guy and their managements had separated the pair for a while for publicity. I wasn't going to put my business into their mess. "I'll get back to you on it. Is there a time or something?" 

"Maybe around the next year or so...same time next year." 

It was the end of November. The air in France wasn't as balmy as it was in Spain. I missed it. The Mediterannean sea was much closer and the sunsets were pretty to look at. "I can guarantee that I'll have someone by that time, rather than a ring on a finger." 

My father placed his hands on my shoulders. "I just want you to be happy and solidify your place within Ha Industries. And you're secured to fall in love with whomever you want to be with. I built this company so my children...well..."he paused because he knew my sister wanted nothing to do with him. "I wanted my children to have a better future. Whether it be with my company or...just something positive to do with their lives. I want them to have jurisdiction. But with this choice to help me run my company, you have to repay the debts that the public eye wants to see. And I feel like something is in the air for you." Of course, dad. Bring in the philosophy you've been indulging in your studies. "I feel like marriage will gift you with the things you need. I just want you to settle down and stop playing around with people." 

I knew it was time to stop. I'm approaching 20-something. I'm over 21. I have to grow out of that stage. It's time to actually focus on my career...and maybe finding the matriarch of my own empire. As I wave them off, I just sit in my car. I had a meeting to attend, but I knew I didn't want to go. I thought to speak to Heejin to see if she wanted to skip class and go get some food. She must be in class or something. I shot her a text and she replied really quickly: "sure." But she wasn't finished texting so I stayed idle in my car before turning on the ignition. "max came for jiwoo and im worried." 

I bit my lip. Max came back for Jiwoo? My thoughts play a little scene where I opened the door and saw her face. It was bruised. Embarassment and shame all over her face. She didn't want me to see her in that way. She wanted me to see her happy and joyous. She wanted to be petty and flash off her new lover. And how her new lover saw things in her that I never did. I saw the world in Jiwoo. I saw...more than just a girl from South Korea. I called up Heejin on the phone. "Change of plans. I have something to do. I'll be there by an hour." 

Before I knew it, my car was just driving to Max's apartment. I felt blind with rage. My heart throbbing in my ears. I lock the door and banged on the door. I tried to call Heejin and asked if Jiwoo had a phone number. She didn't. Her phone was off. Apparently, shattered to pieces. I opened the doors to the apartment, yelling out Max and Jiwoo's name. People were groaning and yelling at me. This old woman touches my arm and I turn in confusion. She speaks to me in French and I furrow my brow. I didn't understand. 

She rephrases it into English. "You looking for Maxine and her girlfriend?" I'm guessing she knew Max as a female. I nod.  The woman looked sad now. She must have known more things than Heejin. "Maxine hit girl a lot. I not know where they are but..."she sighs. "Sorry. I not from France and I not know French or English. But... I move here and Max was nice young lady. She teach me language. I met her girlfriend and she said they move in together. But, at night, I hear girl cry above me." 

I felt my fists clench. Fury deep in my veins. This poor lady. 

"Maxine tell me girl miss her family. I hear stomping and screaming. Maxine tell me girl is athlete." The old woman was starting to cry now. "I know Maxine hit the girl. The girl come out with bruises. I watch her once hit her outside. She kick. The girl was not moving. I..." She swallowed. "Nobody help girl. I want to help. She look sweet and helpless." 

I held the old woman's hands. "Thank you. Just tell me what apartment they're in. Are they home?"

"No they not here. They at school. Everybody in complex complains about Maxine and the girl." She wiped her eyes. "Everybody blame girl because Maxine. I think Maxine is bad. " 

I decided to wait. I didn't even budge. I saw Jiwoo walk into the apartment building, keys in her fists and a sad look on her face. She was yelling on the phone in French to someone. I'm guessing it was Max. Then her voice got real soft and defenseless. As if she was the one getting yelled at now. I sat on the steps with the old woman. Jiwoo kicked the wall and began screaming. She slid to the ground and held her knees close. I watched, but she didn't notice me. My heart broke.

She rubbed her eyes. And eventually stood and walked to the apartment. I called out to her quietly. "Jiwoo?" 

She turned and looked at me with a pissed look on her face. "What are you doing here? You'll get me in more trouble." 

"Jiwoo...you don't have to do this. Just come home with me...er...Heejin. I'll take you to her." 

Jiwoo shuffled on her feet. "I can't. I'm here now. Heejin will be gone within a week. I can't do this...I can't rely on people anymore. Max is all I have left in this place. My classes are hard and...and he understands more than anyone." 

I pull her by the wrist. "Jiwoo." She winces. I see scratch marks on her wrists. I immediately yank my hand away. "You're cutting yourself now?!" The wounds were fresh. She quickly placed her arms in the sleeves. "Jiwoo. I already seen it. Please...Let's just go. You need help." 

She fell into my arms. And she began to sob. Her tears were wetting my blazer. "I-I..." 

"Sh...Let's just go before she comes."