xii. saint-denis, france

Paris En Tu Invierno

Yves. 

The meeting was cut short as my father had gotten better in the hospital. We went out for lunch together with his new girlfriend Stacey Kang. I wasn't used to the thought of my dad dating. He had me and my sister out of wedlock, not claiming either of us. I was the one who forgave him since I barely had memories of him. In high school, he was the one who I came out to first. I still remember it like it was yesterday. 

I was in year 11. I had been dating Jiwoo for a year. I invited her over to the Ha Manor up in Seoul, since I moved in with him during holiday breaks. My mother urged me and my father to have some sort of transient situation since money was too tight at the moment. We were talking in the dining room about an argument she had with her brother about something, I forgot. My father comes in and analyzes our dynamic too well. I don't know why. I used to think of my father as a man that lacked morals until we actually talked after I graduated. But, the moment he talked to me in his study about how he accepted me for who I am back then, I was stunned. With that, however, he did favor Jiwoo as she was more intelligent and more together than I was. 

Meeting Stacey Kang, I didn't expect her to look like a spitting image of my mother. They resembled a lot in the eyes, but it stopped there. I knew that Stacey was possibly mixed. My father introduced us. He looked at her with a sparkle in his eyes. I immediately understood him: he needed to be with someone who had as much wealth as him to please the family. Plus, my mother let him go as soon as I was born. It's crazy how life is. I hope I don't end up trying to find a love who resembles the one that got away. My father really could have married whoever he pleased at this point, considering he placed our family in the trillions mark for net worth (billions in euros, possibly). He made Ha Industries a worldwide company that invested in all types of things. 

My father was more chipper than usual. "So, when are you going to introduce us to a daughter-in-law?" 

I coughed on my mimosa. "P-p-pardon?" 

"You're what...21? Are you dating anyone? Or are you still sleeping around?" 

Of course the man knew I was a player. I smiled scratching my head. "You're gonna sit there and expose me in front of your girlfriend like that?" 

"That doesn't mean a damn thing. I want to meet your girlfriend." 

"You know, pops. I'm just weighing my options right now," I say. He saw right through me on that one. Then I shrugged. I really don't know what I'm doing with my love life. I haven't slept with anybody since I seen Jiwoo. It's been a good while. I sleep alone and it's a lot more peaceful. No more girls hitting up my phone at night. Some do, I just ignore them. 

"Well, if you don't have anyone by next year, there is a certain measure that you can take." Dad folds his hands atop the table before his clean plate that he knocked off a filet mignon on. "You know that entertainment Lip Entertainment? Well, they want to combine our powers and offered up a marital agreement. I didn't quite like the idea, but it's on the table. Didn't Kim Jung Eun attend your school?" 

Kim Jung Eun? The Kim Jung Eun? Idol Kim Jung Eun? The dancer and flexible one? The girl who's still currently dating Jinsoul, Jung Eun. Jinsoul is my very best friend. I would never do that to Jinsoul. I don't recall them breaking up. I reach into my pocket and shoot Jindolie a text. I don't know what time it is in Korea (or Japan. She goes between both). "I don't think I can actually do that. That would ruin Jung Eun's image. Plus, right now...I don't know if I can do that." 

"Do we need to have a father-daughter talk?" he asked, concern ringing in his voice. He looked worried. 

I shook my head. "I feel like it's no use in crying over spoiled milk, dad." 

"We can talk later," he says. We get the bill. I wave them off as they pull off away from the restaurant. I unlock my car and sit in it. Before turning my key in the ignition, I think to myself. I think it's wrong to actually get involved with my best friend's current (or ex) girlfriend. It doesn't matter the situation. I soon get a text from Jinsoul that read: hey i'm in paris w/yerim 0.0 let's schedule a meetup.

I didn't know who this  Yerim was but I just said okay. I noticed that Heejin's number was still in my phone. Maybe she'd be glad to see someone from our hometown too. I called her on the phone and she answered. "Hello?" 

"Yeah. Uh...Heejin, it's me. I'm going out with Jinsoul. I was wondering if you wanted to come?"

After a long beep of silence, Heejin said: "Sure." 

"Great. Send me your address and I'll be there soon." 

"Cool. Uh...you mind if Jiwoo came?" 

"Sure. Why not?" I absent-mindedly said. 

"Great." 

Then, there was a click. I saw that the address was literally my apartment's address. I input it in my GPS, since I still don't know France as well as I know Spain. I swallowed. Heejin and Jiwoo were roommates together. Jiwoo was thinking about moving in with Max, her partner. Heejin doesn't seem fond of Max. Max seems aggressive with Jiwoo. I like Jiwoo. My thoughts were running wild. As soon as I pull up, I see Jiwoo and Max together yelling at each other. I unbuckle out the car and slam my own door. "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" I yell in English. 

"You stay out of this, Sooyoung!" Jiwoo yells at me in Korean. 

Max held his hands up in the air, shouting something in French. Jiwoo sighs and relaxes. I knew something wasn't right. Heejin came downstairs, glaring at the both of them. I got the bigger picture now. Her expression softens when she looks at me though. "Hey. You ready?"

Max sighs and looks at Jiwoo. They exchange a few words. Then, Jiwoo looks at me. "Max wants to come. Can he come?" 

I winced. I used to really like Max, but now I'm not quite sure. But, Jiwoo's eyes are pleading me. As if this was the only way she can actually come with us. This wasn't a question, it was a demand. Max was looking at me blankly. I nod and then go to the driver's seat. Heejin sits up front and the merry couple climbs in the back. 

Well, this is going to be one hell of a car ride and evening.