the devil's game

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey everyone, sorry for the late updates. I've been busy with school (you know how college works), and I'm the type of person who hates rushing things. I'm not sure if there are still people reading this but to those who patiently waited, I want to thank every single one of you. We can be mutuals on twitter and talk to me there, @baehues. Thank you so much, and please do leave a comment below! Tell me what you think!

 

Irene had spent hours hopping from a flower shop to the next, and to her dismay, nine out of ten flower shop owners either knows nothing about the orchid or it’s possible buyers. She swore under her breath, taking every single detail of her acquired conversations. This is going to be the last shop and I have nothing, she processed watching the trees through the taxi’s window. The fact that she’s getting tired and somewhat inpatient in the first phase of the investigation came as a shock to her.

“We’re here.” The taxi halted beside a rusty looking place. Looks deserted, she thought as she peeked out the place out of the window. There were no flowers outside the place, which was throwing the journalist off the whole aesthetic of what a flower shop should look like. Both brown and green leaves scattered on the ground; a rusted and unused bicycle was placed next to its uncleaned window which has Le Jade shop written on it. “The owner of the shop is quite old and no one stays with him, I think his son left him years ago.” The taxi driver shared to her. “That’s why the place looks like that.”

“Right.” Irene answered, snapping out of her observations and back to the reality. She grabs her bag, ping it hurriedly, getting her metallic card out. “Here,” she said offering her card. The taxi driver accepted it and scanned it in a beep. “Thanks.” She said to the driver, opening the door.

Shutting the taxi door close, the cold wind caressed her small figure. Should have brought my coat, she thought to herself, but I guess there’s no turning back.

Approaching the glass door of the shop, Irene noticed the dark empty room that will welcome her the moment she pushes the door open. Her heart was hammering, uncertain if she should enter the shop in the first place. I should call Seulgi, she thought to herself but upon realizing her thoughts, she dismissed it immediately. Why should I call her? I can do this, she said to herself breathing in and out to calm her nerves. Charging every bit of her courage and desperately dismissing her thoughts out of her mind, Irene pushed the door open and stepped inside, her eyes squeezed shut. Then, slowly but surely she opened her eyes and saw a deserted yet well-ordered flower shop.

A variation of flowers welcomed, a few of which Irene could point out. Red Amaryllis, Lilies, Baby’s breath, Roses of varied colors, Carnations, Daffodil, and many more. However, what stood out to her was the column of orchids at the very end of the square room. Cautious and scared of what might pop out, Irene took her steps towards where the Orchids were. To her surprise, every basket is full with flowers with no signs of empty blotches that will indicate that someone bought some Orchids. “Hello?” Irene called out, her voice trembling. “My name is Bae Joohyun, I would like to ask some questions.”

Nothing. 

She looked around, trying to find the owner or someone around but to her disappointment, not a single soul was inside and was already starting to hurt. ping her bag, she grabbed her phone out of it and decided to call the Detective. A phone placed on her ears, ringing endlessly as Irene looked around for signs, or something with substance that indicates a person was and is around somehow. Everything looks neat and in order, I already checked the back of the counter but no one is around, she thought. Maybe I missed something.

 

“Hey. What’s up?”

 

“Hey, uh… everything’s fine… too fine actually. Where are you?”

 

“I’m still at the crime scene with Seungwan. What about you?” She replies, “You got any information about the Orchid?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter