what just happened

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Irene woke at 3:00 am. The room was cold and dark when she heard the television on low volume from the next room and she smelled a freshly brewed coffee. She felt her heart speeding up every second that passes. Irene’s certain that she’s the only living person inside this affordable hotel. “Who’s there?” She called out her voice cracking due its dryness.

No answer.

The sound of clacking of mugs and utensils made her heart beat ten times faster than usual, she decided to tuck herself under the soft white duvet as her hand gripped the edges tightly as she could. “Answer me you coward!” She shouted, her eyes squeezed shut.

After what feels like centuries, Irene heard the steps growing from barely audible to loud. That was when she realized that her worst nightmare is becoming a reality. I’m too young to die this early... and thought as she felt her heart bursting with fear.

“You don’t look good.” Irene froze, she opened her eyes and glanced up to the familiar voice that spoke to her. “I cooked breakfast and-”

“You freaking idiot!” Irene exclaimed, shivering at the realization that it had been Seulgi all along. Out of impulse, she throws the pillow closest to her, hitting Seulgi right in the stomach. “I almost had a heart attack and how dare you enter my room without permission?!”

“Hey. It’s 3:00 am in the morning, there are people sleeping next to you. You know that right?” Seulgi chuckles picking up the pillow. Irene wanted to wipe that little chuckle off her face. “The hotel gave me the keys. The staff was really kind.”

Great. “What did the intelligent and famous Kang Seulgi do this time?” Irene asked rolling her eyes. “Did you tell them, “Hi, I’m Kang Seulgi. You must know me right? I’m really famous.” or maybe you bragged about your achievements?”

“Nope.” Seulgi said. “I just told them you’re my girlfriend.” The detective confessed casually.

“What?” Irene coughed, clearly flustered. Irene felt herself blush. What the hell… but thankfully the darkness of the room hindered Seulgi to see the girl’s flustered face.

“Yeah. It worked though.” Seulgi said.

There was silence between them yet again.

“It’s not a big deal though since we both know we’re not dating.” Seulgi reasons.

“Why are you here? You could have just texted me.” Irene said in annoyance, avoiding the whole situation. She stood up and walked pass Seulgi who was still holding the pillow Irene used to throw at her.

“I did texted you. I texted you the moment I saw your text.” Seulgi said trailing her towards the living room. “I even tried calling you but I figured you’d be sleeping. I didn’t want to interrupt.”

“But you just did?” Irene sighs. They made their way towards the kitchen. The smell of coffee and fried eggs with kimchi fried rice stirred her empty stomach. Seulgi remained her distance, discreetly studying the face of the woman across the room.

Seulgi did some research about the girl and she was shocked when she realized how many individuals she exposed through her writings. Her real name is Bae Joohyun but she’s professionally known as Irene, which is is a girl’s name derived from greek origin. According to greek mythology, a goddess named Eirene. The said goddess was said to be beautiful and carried a cornucopia; a hore like shaped that represents abundance or nourishment. And Seulgi was convinced that Irene picked the name on purpose.

2014 was when she debuted as an intern of the editor and chief of the well respected Jeong Tribune. Seulgi couldn’t believe her eyes after reading Irene’s first ever work. Daegu’s notorious shylock exposed. She basically exposed the rotten underground of the leading and illegal loan shark of Daegu, the shylocks. Because of her article, justice was given to their victims. She was just an amateur writer then but her impact was something else. Her style of writing could be lethal too; she’s too honest.

2015. She exposed several politicians who was ually abusing underaged girls inside a hidden factory near Daegu’s port. The establishment was closed and the politicians were jailed after running for their lives after the small woman in front of her published a brutal article about the scandal. Later that year, she also exposed two female teachers who were practicing ion to young male students in exchange of passable grades.

2016 was a good year for Irene. She became a permanent writer of the tribune, she was finally getting decent pays and she was known all around Daegu. However, there remains to be people who are not happy with her. One time, she was attacked as she was walking home from work and with pure luck; she got it out alive and, she was alive because someone saw what was happening and decided intervene and helped her.

“Hey. You need to stop staring at me, you’re creeping me out.” Irene sighs ingesting a spoonful of rice over Seulgi’s fresh egg rolls.

Seulgi laughs, “Sorry, won’t do it again then.” She head towards the next room where th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter