she's back

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seulgi-ssi!!!” Seulgi felt a harsh tug on her left arm making her awake. “Wake up!” Yeri yelled at her. Can she shut up for a second? Seulgi’s mouth is dry and her head is in a vacuum, every information of literally everything. “Where am I?”  Yeri sighs finally noticing that the older girl is finally awake after her few failed attempts of rousing her. “Seulgi-ssi, you seriously need to get yourself together. You’ve been asleep for over three hours and the chief has been looking for you for almost an hour now! Mr. Lee is going to kill you for sleeping during office hours.” Seulgi squinted her eyes and saw Yeri’s face full of concern, she chuckled groggily.

“I think you and I both know that he can’t kill me.” She said sleepily as she forces her tired body up from the sofa. “Why? Did someone die today?” Yeri flinched at Seulgi’s chosen words, but she manages to shrug it off.

“Yes, someone died today. The only daughter of a prominent family in Daegu was just found and floating on a lagoon. The media with their annoying news reporters are already outside; some are asking for you and there are some who are trying to squeeze something out from our chief. But he can't because he's obviously waiting for you... and here you are! look at you! You’re even drooling. I can’t believe this.”

“If I’m drooling then you’re panicking. Breath, Yeri. Breath.” Seulgi reminded the girl, adjusting her vision.

“I have the right to feel this way! Mr. Lee is looking for you; he obviously wants you to solve this case!”

“Not to sound entirely insensitive but based on what you told me, it’s just a normal case of murder, the only difference is that the victim came from a rich family-“

“That’s exactly the point! The victim's family is weeping in front of the nation and from what I’ve heard, they own 75 percent of Samsung and the father is threatening to remove all his assets.”

Great. What a political move. He exactly knows how to threaten the whole country economically. “Of course, if he removes his assets then Samsung will struggle to find its footing and will eventually collapse. Samsung's collapse will ahve a direct impact in our economy. I mean, the company is more than just a tech brand; it basically shapes our country. Approximately 15% of economy is dependent on its stability." Seulgi calculated. "It's affliation with the government itself makes the group really important."

Yeri blinked processing everything the woman said. “Exactly! Also, the father of the victim is also a close friend of the department chief and he called for our help… Your help.”

“What about the officers in Daegu? What do they think about this?” Seulgi sighs.

“They think you’re the only one that could solve it.”

Seulgi yawned still staring at the wall across the room. What a crappy excuse for being lazy and incompetent. I hate my job sometimes. “What’s her name?”

“Choi Heran. I’ve seen her pictures, she’s unbelievably beautiful.”

“Orchid.” Seulgi blunted out making Yeri stand there in confusion.

“What? Orchid? Where?”

Seulgi sighs standing up, stretching her long physique. “Her name means Grace and Orchid, and I think I know who she is.” Seulgi said clearly jaded by everything that is going on. On the other hand, Yeri seemed impressed with Seulgi yet again, so she continued to press more questions. “What does she do?”

Seulgi grabs her hair, carefully tying it into a ponytail. “She’s the perfect example of a what a Korean woman should be. I’ve seen her a couple of times especially during art exhibitions held here in Seoul; and of course, during formal and important parties that I unfortunately have to attend.”

Truth be told, Seulgi is felt irritated by not having efficient knowledge about Choi Heran. This was compensated by her knowledge about the Choi family. The Choi’s are considered one of the richest families in the whole country. I mean, they mostly own the Samsung corporation. Besides this, they are the owners of almost all airlines existing in South Korea and some private hospitals as well. They are also known for their connections in the big three entertainment agencies that basically controls the culture and economic export of the country. However,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter