rain and tent bar

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The night was dreary and wet due to the rain that showered the whole city. Irene discovered that Seulgi had a way of making everything seem ten times worse than it actually is. Her sudden outburst during the meeting made it all clear for Irene. She can't stand me. 

Seulgi didn’t ask for her nor did Irene asked for Seulgi. Both of them are stuck in a situation they unfortunately cannot control.

Irene appreciated the full moon hung in the sky even though it was slightly faded because of the harsh rain. Her mind kept playing random scenes and possibilities about the current case and how it might lead into finding something deeper than a murder.

Irene craved those stories; the hidden depth of everything that seemed so simple that it could be easily ignored if you’re not thinking hard enough. She craved stories of the tainted reality people chose to hide.

The travel time felt longer than Irene expected, and Seulgi remains silent- oppressing her annoyance that is probably eating her alive. “My hotel is near the pastry shop down the block.”

“Okay.” Seulgi finally replied. Irene looked relieved. At least she replied.


 

Seulgi shifted gears and pulled over onto the side of the road near Irene’s current hotel. There was an awkward silence between the two but then the atmosphere slowly subsided when Seulgi sighed and turned her attention to the woman sitting next to her. “Are you hungry?”

This question took Irene by surprise, “Uh.. not really.”

“You look hungry and please, do me a favor will you? You’re a journalist, and lying is something you shouldn’t do.” Seulgi said to her. “I just heard your stomach growl.”

“Journalists can lie too.” Irene replied. “Why are you so attentive? It’s creepy. Are you a scanner or something?”

“Maybe?” Seulgi barked back. “It’s a God given gift if you ask me.”

“Okay, then.” I held up both hands in a gesture of surrender. ”Your confidence is way up there, I don’t want to ruin it.”

Seulgi took a deep breath. “Fine. I'll shut up. Shall we go?”

 

The rain outside was slowing down to a patter. They entered a Pojangmacha or a Tent Bar that was 10 minutes away from Irene’s hotel. The tent was almost half empty on account of the rainy weather. The dull light illuminating from the grey sky lending a quiet ambiance to the room. Only slow tempo of small chatters and plates are audible inside the orange tent.

The girls ordered meat, kimchi, beef short rib soup, and a plenty of rice. Seulgi sat in front of Irene. So, we’re not talking again. Great. Irene hates the silence between them and she even disliked how silent Seulgi is. I guess this is better since we obviously hate each other.

They sat there for a few moments, and she turned her face to Irene. “I bet you’re contemplating about my behavior. You probably hate this whole silence thing.” Seulgi sighs looking at Irene. “I don’t like it too, but you’re the noisy one here. Can you atleast talk?”

“How can I talk to someone who doesn't even want me around?” Irene gave out a forced mocking smile making Seulgi chuckle. “And besides, what would we even talk about?” 

“I don’t know? Maybe the case?” Seulgi replied sarcastically. “What’s your take on the case? Ms. Investigative Journalist?”

“You're really corny.” I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter