flower shops and ciders

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The crime scene was crowded just like Irene expected. Just outside where the body was found, Media outlets all over the country is covering about the mysterious death of the beautiful Chaebol. Seulgi became stiff and stern the moment they arrived in the scene, every officer assigned in the area greeted her with respect and answered her questions accordingly.

Seulgi’s demeanour changed completely. The somewhat awkward and arrogant woman was no longer present. She was replaced by a pragmatic and stoic person. Irene couldn’t help but be allured by the detective’s alter ego.

“The body is being investigated by Dr. Park, Officer Kang.” the officer informed Seulgi as they were walking around the place. “The boys have rounded up the neighboring houses. They’re just waiting for your cue.”

Seulgi ignored the man and scanned the lagoon. The color of the water was emerald green sparkling below the bright shines of the sky. “What time is it?” Seulgi asked out of nowhere.

Irene checks her phone, “6:30.”

The detective heads towards the lagoon, she crouched down and gently dips her hand in the river. “35 degrees celsius.” Seulgi mumbled to herself, “She was when she was found right?”

“Yes.”

“Hmm.” Seulgi stood up and rests her hands inside her pocket. She looks at the wide lagoon in front of her, processing any information that she could. “If someone’s body reach hypothermia, it is inevitable that the skin will thicken. If the skin is thick then… the trauma will be harder to see since it is hidden.”

Irene and the officer stood there taking in the intellectual blabbers of the detective.

As Seulgi was thinking of something, as a white petal beside a large rock caught Irene’s attention. The journalist approached it with caution, “An orchid?” she said to herself.

Seulgi drifted off her thoughts when the woman spoke. She turned her attention to the detective who is crouching just distance behind ber. Irene’s eyes wanders the ornament laying on the ground. “Seulgi, look at this.” She turns to the detective ushering her to move closer. “What does this mean? It’s odd to have an ornament here don’t you think?”

Oh it’s strange alright. The fact that the lagoon is surrounded by trees with no sight of flowers made both girls gulp in nervousness.

“It’s still fresh.” Seulgi said as Irene offered towards her to inspect. The harsh smell of apple cider diffused in her senses. “It’s a technique used to preserve the flower for a period of time. So it means, someone might sneaked in last night.” Her attention turns to the officer who was obviously in shock of what the detective have said. “Are you sure that no one entered this area at all?”

“Yes ma’am.” The officer said avoiding eye contact.

This fool. Seulgi stood up and walked towards the officer, trying to hold back her annoyance. Seulgi was never fond of liars, especially officials who would do everything just to avoid the consequences of their malpractice. “I don’t have time for games, officer. Do you really want me to explain what you just did?’ Seulgi sighs.

“No, ma’am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter