officer kang

the calm in the sirens | seulrene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi’s day was going downhill the moment the chief of the Homicide Department left her rather unclean office. “I can’t ing believe I’m finishing this case.” The girl scoffs in frustration as she looks at the thick folder placed above her table. Kang Seulgi is one of the best or may be the best homicide detective in Korea. She got her degree in biotechnology in the states and pursued her masters and PHD degree in Seoul University as if it was the easiest thing to do. Then, two years later she found herself in this office where she contemplates and then solves the cases her colleagues can’t.

"Yoo Hyun Ji. Thirty years old. Single. A business woman. Lives alone. Murdered on her way home. Time of death, approximately at 9:45 pm, her murder attacked her. A fatal blow on the heart and two on the neck. The murder weapon was a knife.” Seulgi contemplates. The girl was just a Korean woman who just happens to have a successful career and is single.

“Kim Hyun Woo. Thirty-two years old. Single. Lives with his parents. A Butcher.” She started to read nonchalantly. “He’s obviously out of it. Oversized checkered. Stained with coffee. His hair is all over the place and it looks like going through a rough time, his hair is falling day by day.” Seulgi sighed eyeing that this case is the easiest piece of work in her life. “Jung Taek Gu. Twenty-two years old. Looks decent. A fourth year medical student. In a relationship. Oh wait, he’s already engaged. Huh, this guy seems fine to me.”

Seulgi silently scanned through the information’s written on the papers. There were creases all over it, even coffee stains too. “Seungwan really took her time on this.” For almost thirty minutes and a half before concluding, she reviews what she learned and cussed, “Unbelievable, this world is ed up.”

The girl stood up with a sigh and closes the folder given to her. “I refuse to believe that Wendy can’t solve this. The answer is too obvious.” She said grabbing her black leather jacket behind her. It’s been thirteen hours since Seulgi entered her rotten office and she’s grateful that she has this opportunity to breath the air humans normally breath. “Yerim, where’s officer Son?” Seulgi asked her intern who was busy typing reports and findings on Seulgi’s previous murder case. Yeri stood up her hair all over the place yet she smiled at her senior with admiration. “She’s on her office, Seulgi-ssi. She’s talking to a rich looking lady.”

"Okay.” Seulgi said to her intern who replied with a thumbs up. The elder girl sighed and let out a little laugh, “You’re impossible. Look at you. Go home and have a rest. Take a shower or something.”

Yeri smelled herself by grabbing her purple sweater’s armpit. A face of displeasure surfaced making Seulgi laugh at the sight. “I told you. Go home and take a shower or something. Just make sure you’ll come back later okay? Buy me coffee and ramen when you come back.”

 

Son Seungwan is one of the best detectives in the homicide department. Her solved records may not be at the same amount as Seulgi’s but still, she is considered one of the best. She’s famous for her symphatic and emphatic persona. She values the feelings of the families’ of the victims and the victims themselves- a trait that Seulgi unfortunately lacks. Also, she’s known for her wits and organized works. There is a distinct difference between the two; Seulgi may solve a case quicker yet she’s apathetic. On the other hand, Wendy can solve a case even though she solves it rather slowly, but without a dobut, she handles it with sensitivity.

In short, Seulgi is a robot and Wendy is a human being.

Seulgi knocks on Wendy’s door, “Son Seungwan. I think I cracked your case! Can I enter?” She called out to her coworker who’s busy talking to the parents of the victim. “Wait a minute, Mrs. Jung. I’ll just have a talk with my coworker.” Wendy said to the one she’s talking. A few seconds later the door cracked open. Her brown hair is gone, Seulgi noted. “Hey, your hair is different. It’s black now.”

Wendy only rolled her eyes clearly annoyed that she’s here, and in addition to that she finds it irritating looking at Seulgi carrying the folder of the Mrs. Yoo case. The folder that she carefully complied detail by detail over the past months. “Seulgi, I told you to stop calling me by my real name. You’re so embarrassing.” She sighed, “So, the chief passed my case to you? How great.”

“Hey, don’t blame me. I don’t want this either, it’s so boring and too obvious.” Seulgi sighed, offering the folder back to her friend. Wendy raised an eyebrow, eyeing Seulgi seriously. Seulgi knew Wendy hates it when she calls a case boring or too obvious, and Seulgi gets it, she really does. But, Seulgi takes every opportunity she’ll get in teasing Wendy. “I’m kidding, but seriously I think I know who the killer is.”

The loudness of Seulgi’s voice caught the attention whoever the person Wendy was talking to before interrupting their talk. “Please let her come in, Officer Son. I want to hear what she’s going to say.” A voice of a woman, probaly around her fifties or sixties. Seulgi realized that the person Wendy is talking to is the mother of Jung Taek Gu, the engaged medical student.  

Wendy gave in with a sigh of frustration and let Seulgi enter the room. The girl folded her arms and she whispered to Seulgi, “That’s the mother of the fourth year medical student, Taek Gu.” Seulgi did not need the briefing since she knew it was the pretty boy’s parent. She’s a well refined woman. From head to toe, it all screams wealth and elegance. “Good morning, Mrs. Jung. I’m Kang Seulgi, one of the detectives who works here.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter