The Family

searching for that broken moon's other half

Baekhyun thought he had gone crazy. He must've lost his goddamn mind since right now he was sitting on his office lobby, with his overnight bag on his feet, waiting for Park Chanyeol to pick him up.

Then they would go together to his parents's house.

Baekhyun grabbed his hair and made a mess out of it. God, it seemed like a good decision at that time. He really, really wanted to take Chanyeol to meet his parents. After all, the two parties would surely meet sooner or later since they were getting married. Besides, he just wanted to bring Chanyeol… somewhere. And that somewhere was the place where he grew up, where all his family would be. A side in him that he wanted Chanyeol to know, and it just felt natural to ask him to come.

Baekhyun kept his promise back then. Even if the first time he laid out the proposition was when he was drunk, he still asked his fiance to come when he woke up the next morning, albeit with massive hangover loomed over him. And Chanyeol said yes, with a bright excited yet nervous smile. Baekhyun then knew he was making the right decision.

But now. Oh God , he was a nervous wreck.

Thousand of questions flashed through his mind. What was his parents’ reaction gonna be? Did both he and Chanyeol ready to go meet them? What would they say if his parents asked about their relationship?

All this time since they got engaged, they only introduced each other as fiance to merely colleagues or acquaintances. They could past them just fine. But this was his family , the closest people to him. How would Baekhyun be able to lie right under their noses? He could never imagine.

And the fact that he hadn’t had sleep for more than five hours in a span of two days wasn’t helping. Proposal deadline had always been hellish. His body already felt feverish, his head was pounding, and his mind was being overly hyper aware.

That, plus his nervousness of meeting his family, was definitely not a good combination.

The brief sound of familiar car horn almost made Baekhyun lose his balance on his chair. His eyes frantically searched for the source of the sound, and surprise, surprise, there Chanyeol’s car was. All slick and ready to pick him up.

With fatigue latched onto his body, Baekhyun walked out of his office toward the black car, anxiety looming over him as Chanyeol got out to greet him. He somehow felt better when he saw Chanyeol wasn’t in a better state as him. His tall fiance also looked as tired and anxious. Poor guy, if anything, Chanyeol must’ve been more nervous than him.

“Hey,” Chanyeol said as he approached him. “Is that all you got?” he asked about the small overnight bag Baekhyun was holding,

“Yeah, we only go for two nights, didn’t I tell you?”

“You did.” Chanyeol took his bag. “Just expected you gonna bring more. Hey, you okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

Chanyeol blinked. “Okay first, you weren’t giving me stink eyes the first time you see me. Second, you didn’t give me sass. Third, you look really pale and your eyes are bloodshot. Fourth--”

“Alright, alright, shut up. You’re giving me headache. Can we just go?” Baekhyun didn’t wait for Chanyeol to answer him and just brush past him, entering his car.

Chanyeol followed him a few seconds later, taking his position on the driver seat after he put Baekhyun’s luggage in the trunk. “Seriously, you okay? I’m genuinely worried now.”

Baekhyun could see that. Chanyeol was giving him his soft eyes while his forehead was all scrunched up in worry. “I could say the same. You look tired.”

“I’m gonna be honest. I’m nervous as hell, I couldn’t sleep last night.” Then his eyes widened. “Wait, are you like this because you’re nervous too?”

Well, how to answer that… “I’m fine, Chanyeol.” He shrugged. “I have deadline this week and I’m just sleep deprived. I only slept for five hours in two days.”

Chanyeol gaped. “Are you kidding?”

“I wish I am.”

“, Baekhyun, why didn’t you tell me?” Chanyeol immediately put on his seatbelt. “Let’s hurry, then. So we could arrive faster and you could rest in a proper bed.”

Baekhyun hummed as he too put on his seatbelt and kept moving on his seat, looking for the most comfortable position. Now that he was inside Chanyeol’s car and in the presence of his fiance, his body felt relax. He couldn’t even remember why he was so on edge a few minutes ago.

Chanyeol looked at him for a few seconds. It was difficult to tear his gaze from the man when he was looking at him with such tender, like Baekhyun was the most adorable thing in the world. “Do you want to get some coffee first or you just want to sleep? It’ll take three hours to get to Yanggu. We'll arrive approximately at 8 PM.”

“No coffee,” Baekhyun replied, and he closed his eyes when Chanyeol’s hand his hair. It was as comforting as the time when Chanyeol took care of him while he got drunk a week ago. “But I think I’m not gonna sleep either, or else I’m going to wake up extremely groggy and my body will ache.”

“Alright.” Chanyeol smiled. “Get comfortable and tell me if you want to stop and want something to drink or eat.”

Baekhyun fell completely silent as he watched Chanyeol got into position and started the car. After a good few seconds and they got into the main street, his eyes started to got heavier. So much for saying that he didn’t want to go to sleep.

“Can you talk to me?” Baekhyun rubbed his eyes. “I really don’t want to fall asleep.”

Chanyeol chuckled after he took a short glance at him. His expression was clearly amused. “Somehow seeing you like this makes my nervousness evaporate.”

“Great. My misery put you in peace.”

“Aw, babe, what are you talking about? You always make me in peace.”

Baekhyun fake a scoff. “Right.”

Chanyeol laughed at that and Baekhyun felt his stomach squeeze. Warmth spread in his chest and he just felt really comfortable right now in the company of his so called enemy. Though he wasn't sure if he could call him that now anymore. He didn't remember the last time he felt dread or hatred when he was face to face or thinking about his fiance. Instead, he felt safe. Just like right now. How did they get to this point, Baekhyun would never know.

“So,” Chanyeol cleared his throat. His easy demeanor changed slightly. It seemed like his nervousness had come back. “I’m going to meet your family, any information you want to tell me? Other than the fact that your parents hate me, of course.”

“Huh?” Baekhyun was taken aback by the accusation. “Who said my parents hate you?”

“Well, I kicked their teenage son out of the house. Of course, they hate me, shortie.”

“They don't. What you did back then was stupid but they don't hate you.”

“You didn't know that I got an earful from your mom the day after I kissed you, right?” Chanyeol looked at him, showing him his nervous smile.

Baekhyun's lips pulled upward. “You kidding.”

Chanyeol let out a whistle, like he was glad that that moment stayed in the past. Like it was something he didn't want to experience ever again. “She got me depressed as . I felt like I was the lowest of low of a human being.”

Baekhyun couldn't help but let out an outbursts of ugly laugh. “That sounds a lot like my mom.”

“Then a month later both your mom and dad quitted their jobs.” Chanyeol shrugged. “I think that's a clear sign that they hate me for hurting their son.”

Baekhyun couldn't deny that. It was true that their parents quitted because of him, but it wasn't because they hated Chanyeol. It was more for the sake of their pride. There was no way they were going to stay employed by the person who hurt their son, although technically Chanyeol wasn't their employer.

“I just…” Chanyeol spoke but stopped, and Baekhyun waited until he sorted out his words. “I just want them to see me as someone worth of your hands. It's okay if it's not immediately, I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll see them. And I have full intention to get their blessings no matter how long it takes.”

Ahh… This wasn't fair. Chanyeol was being a gentleman in a time like this wasn't fair. “You don’t have to worry. They’re not gonna… kill you or something. If anything, it’s probably me who would be the receiving end, no? I’m sure they would be like, scream at me.”

Chanyeol’s face softened. “Yeah, screaming like what the hell are you thinking, Byun Baekhyun? I bet your mom will faint.”

“You know what? That’s such a high probability.” Baekhyun sighed. “Now I hope I told my mom before we come today.”

Biting his lips, Chanyeol gripped the steering wheel tighter. Like he was contemplating to utter his next words. And Baekhyun just waited. “I told my mom,” Chanyeol mumbled, almost inaudible.

Baekhyun's blurred vision due to sleepiness cleared. He straightened his posture, straining his seatbelt.  “You what?”

“I already told my mom about us. That we're engaged.”

Baekhyun blinked, seemingly at lost of words. “Your mom. Mrs. Park,” he deadpanned.

Amusement swam across Chanyeol's eyes. He looked at Baekhyun's astonished face for a second and chuckled. “I only have one mom, babe.”

“Yeah, sure, I know. It's just--”

“I told her even before you agreed to marry me, you know. That's how confident I was that you were going to accept me.”

“Jesus Christ.” Baekhyun let out a heavy sigh. He didn't expect it at all, for Chanyeol to reveal their relationship to his most important person in his life.

“Are you… are you mad?”

“Of course not.” Baekhyun rested his back once again, letting Chanyeol's comfy seat buried him. “Just a little bit shocked.”

Chanyeol hummed. “I have one more surprise though.”

“Oh, God, no.”

“Would you check the compartment in front of you? There's something I want you to see.”

Baekhyun did what his fiance asked him to, and he could've sworn his heart stopped when he saw the black box. He wasn't an idiot. He knew what the content would be.

“Chanyeol…” he croaked out, his eyes still locked on the small box.

Nervous laugh came from beside him. “Take it out. Open it.”

It felt like he moved on autopilot. He watched his hand reach out to take the box, feeling the velvet material on his fingertips, and finally opened it, so slowly, like he was afraid to break it.

Baekhyun let out a gasp as soon as the beautiful silver band made an appearance. As weird as this situation could be, he felt his eyes sting.

He didn't even realize that Chanyeol had pulled onto the sideroad and put the car to a stop, as right now Chanyeol was turning his body to face him, his hand took Baekhyun's.

“Baekhyun.” His adam's apple bobbed in his throat. “I thought it would be strange if we go see your family without you wearing the ring. It's been bugging my mind all this time that you didn't wear it, that I didn't ask you enough if you wanted to wear it. While it's true that I want your family to see that this is real, between you and me, I guess I also want the physical evidence that you're mine.”

Baekhyun felt his throat burn. Why would he feel so emotional about this? It wasn't like this is real, anyway. Chanyeol clearly stated that this was so their act looked more real, but he also said that he wanted everyone to know that Baekhyun was his. And Baekhyun strangely liked that reason. He liked it a lot he wanted to cry.

Baekhyun faked a groan as he silently cleared his throat so Chanyeol wouldn't know how much this affected him. “This is not fair.”

Chanyeol tilted his head. “What's not?”

“You do this when I'm not in a good condition. I'm feeling emotional and soft right now.”

Chanyeol was clearly satisfied with his response as he was grinning from ear to ear, his grim and nervous energy suddenly gone and replaced by relief and excitement. “So it only took you to be sick or sleep deprived so you could accept my proposal.”

“I thought you already know,” Baekhyun sneered.

Chanyeol let out his first laugh since the whole ordeal. He had come back to his usual self. Thank God. “Alright, let me put it on for you.”

Chanyeol took the box from Baekhyun's hold, picking the ring from inside it. Then with a swift motion, he slipped the ring to Baekhyun's left ring finger. It was so beautiful it took his breath away. And judging by Chanyeol's stunned eyes, the latter obviously thought the same.

“Where's yours?” Baekhyun asked.

“Huh?”

“Where's your ring? If I've got to wear this, you should too.”

“Well, I have mine.” Chanyeol reached to his pocket pants, and true to his words, a matching silver band like his was on Chanyeol's hand now. “You want to me wear mine too?”

“I'm not engaged by myself, aren't I?” Baekhyun smirked. “And you're not… you're not the only one who wanted the physical evidence that we're together.”

Now it was Chanyeol who looked like he was gonna fighting his tears. It was a strange yet good look on him.

Baekhyun took the ring from Chanyeol and did what Chanyeol just did to him, slipping the ring to Chanyeol's calloused ring finger. He could feel Chanyeol shuddered, and himself blushed madly.

Before Chanyeol could comment on it, Baekhyun turned his face away and once again put distance between them, resting his back to the seat. “We need to go now.” He cleared his throat. “We wouldn't want to miss dinner.”

Chanyeol chuckled before he grabbed the steering wheel. “You'll be the death of me, Byun Baekhyun.”





 

Chanyeol was the one who was just driving for three hours, but Baekhyun was the one who looked like he was ready to die any second.

Chanyeol's priority now was to put his fiance to the ing bed. Though he knew that it probably wouldn't be so soon as they still needed to do some family introduction bull. Chanyeol was worried out of his head and he wasn't sure being polite to his fiance's family and making a good first impression were on the top of his list right now.

“Uh, ,” Baekhyun grumbled, massaging his head non-stop even now that they already arrived.

“You okay?” Chanyeol took off his as well as Baekhyun's seatbelts. “I'm not gonna have to carry you inside, right?”

“Shut up,” Baekhyun spat. His calm and cute demeanor from the beginning of their ride had been long gone. He was being super cranky and high.

“I'll get our bags,” Chanyeol initiated. Baekhyun was having a hard time to even drag his own body, there was just no way he could carry his overnight bag.

As soon as he got out of the car, the fresh breeze of mountain area welcomed him. The cold weather was bearable too. And since he didn't have the time to look around when he focused on driving and listening to his fiance's slur words when he tried to direct him to his house, only now that Chanyeol truly saw Baekhyun's family house.

Even from the outside, he could tell how warm it was. Through the windows, the silhouette of people inside were seen, the yellow lights drown them. He also could hear faint sounds of laughter and yells.

What a lively family. Something Chanyeol never had.

The sound of Baekhyun opening and closing his side of door pulled Chanyeol out of his head. He immediately took their bags on the back seat and followed his fiance who slowly took steps toward the door of his house.

“So,” Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun's hand, linking them together, while his other hand was busy with their bags. “Any last advice you gotta tell me?”

Baekhyun blinked his eyes slowly, like he would sleep right there and then. “I can't think right now.”

Chanyeol felt his heart’s string being pulled. “Okay, let's get you to bed.”

“Yes, please.”

As Chanyeol slipped his hand around Baekhyun's waist, he strangely didn't feel a single anxiety in him. It was weird, since he had been pondering how to greet Baekhyun's family the first time for the past week. And now that confusion had vanished, like this wasn't something he needed to rack his brain over. He could tell that the night would go smoothly even if he behaved like his usual self. 

Chanyeol was about to knock the door, his fist already raised. But it was like whoever behind this door knew that they got visitors. The door was already opened wide before Chanyeol knew it. 

"Mom!" 

The familiar woman Baekhyun called mom beamed. "Baekhyun! Finally, sweetheart." She opened her arms. 

And just like that, Chanyeol's fiance was no longer in his hold. 

Hints of tiredness was instantly wiped off from Baekhyun, he smiled and hugged his mom tight. "I miss you, Mom. Sorry I only came home now." 

"Awh," the woman pulled away. "It's okay. What matter is now you're here." Then she finally tore her sight from her son and did a double-take on Chanyeol. "Oh, how rude of me ignoring our guest. I'm Byun Sehee, Baekhyun's mom." 

Chanyeol swallowed as his eyes darted to Baekhyun. The woman was obviously couldn't recognize him, whether it was because of Chanyeol's change of appearance or the low light of the porch. 

Baekhyun let out an awkward smile. "Mom, this is Chanyeol. You remember him." 

Chanyeol braced himself for spite, rage, or any kind of ... But none came. Instead, Mrs. Byun clapped her hands. "Of course. Oh my God, how could I not recognize you. Master Chanyeol." 

Chanyeol's chest was tight. He really didn't expect a warm smile from her. "It's nice to see you again, Mrs. Byun. And please call me Chanyeol. Have you been well?" 

"I'm a very happy and healthy soon-to-be 54 years old woman." 

"Oh wow, Baekhyun didn't mention that this was your 54th birthday. I thought it was your fortieth birthday." 

The woman laughed. "You're a charmer now, aren't you, Chanyeol? Well, this is a nice surprise." She glanced at her son. Even Chanyeol could see, that she was definitely throwing silent questions to her son. 

"Yeah, Mom, Chanyeol's going to stay for the weekend to join your birthday celebration." 

"Oh, really? How nice." 

"And also, uhm..." 

Baekhyun paused and it looked like he was about to bolt, like this place was the last place he wanted be, like this conversation was the last thing he wanted to take part of.

“What is it, sweetheart?” His mom looked confused, and Chanyeol braced himself for the bomb.

It was rather faint, but Chanyeol could see that Baekhyun was trying to draw a deep breath, before he finally said it. “I want Chanyeol to meet you guys, and I want all of you to meet Chanyeol, since he’s… he’s my fiance.”

The words running through the woman’s head were practically invisible to Chanyeol.

What.

The.

Hell?

“Uhm…” Dumbstruck, Mrs. Byun could only blink. Chanyeol bet she didn’t even realize that had been hung open the entire time. “I’m sorry, but what--”

“Hey, all of you, until when you were going to stay here.” Saved by the bell, or rather saved by Baekhyun’s dad. “My boy, come in. And whoa, is that you, Master Chanyeol?”

Then the mood shifted. Mrs. Byun's confusion was forgotten, but not really forgotten. The next thing Chanyeol knew, he was dragged into the Byuns household, entering the living room where most of the unfamiliar faces of Baekhyun's family were gathered. Soon, Chanyeol was separated from his fiance, as Baekhyun was preoccupied by his cute nieces and nephews, while Chanyeol was forced to discard their bags somewhere and being swooned over by the aunts.

And in the midst of all that chaos, Chanyeol could still feel the sharp lingering gaze of Baekhyun's mom on him. The woman was now talking to her husband, no doubt relying the shocking news, as now the man looked like he was just informed that vampire was real.


Chanyeol tore his gaze from the husband and wife, and opted out to search for his fiance. It wasn't difficult. The booming voice of Baekhyun's echoed through the room. His eyes crinkled on the edge as he let his nieces and nephews tickle him. It seemed like his tiredness had gone and replaced by joy and excitement. But Chanyeol knew better. His fiance was unusually spiked by sheer adrenaline so high he would faint once he calmed down later.


Excusing himself politely from the aunts, Chanyeol smiled warmly and went over to where the Byun parents were. They still needed to have the talk but it could wait, now he moved on to the more important matter that had been his first priority since they arrived. "Excuse me, Mrs. Byun."


The woman looked at him with wide eyes. Chanyeol didn't blame her. The news they delivered must've not sunk in yet. "Darling, Chanyeol, what's wrong?" The words were friendly, but Chanyeol could sense the edge in her voice.


"Uhm, sorry to disturb you." Chanyeol glanced at Mr. Byun. Damn, he was judging him so hard it made talking to Baekhyun's mom become the saver choice. "I wonder if I could borrow the kitchen. I gotta make some warm tea or milk for Baekhyun."


"Huh?" Baekhyun's mom raised from the couch, already putting her arm on Chanyeol's broad back, steering him to where Chanyeol supposed was the kitchen. "Is he sick?" 
"No, Ma'am. It's just that he hasn't slept for two days."


The woman sighed. "Seriously, that kid." She then proceeded to open a cupboard and did the business, even though Chanyeol intended to do it himself. "He never took care of himself." 

"Yeah, he's bad at doing it." 

"But you're there for him though." 

Chanyeol opened his mouth to answer but the words stuck in his throat. "I... I try to do my best." 

"Oh, I'm sure you are."

"Mrs. Byun, I--" 

"Your mother called me a month ago." The woman cut him off, while her hands were still busy heating the milk. "She asked me did you know? And I had no idea what she was talking about, so she just laughed and said oh, you're in for a surprise, Sehee . I suppose this was what she meant, huh?" 

Rubbing his face, Chanyeol couldn't help to sigh exasperatedly. "I told her to wait for Baekhyun to inform you himself." 

Mrs. Byun laughed. "My son is kinda a coward. He wouldn't dare to tell me on the phone. Besides, I'm glad that your mom somehow warned me. I just never thought that the surprise was this." 

There were many things Chanyeol wanted to say to her. He wanted to apologize, he wanted to tell her his feeling toward her son, he wanted her to know that he had full intention to take care of him, he wanted-- 

"We'll talk tomorrow, okay?" She held out her hands, one of them handed him the cup of milk, and the other was squeezing his shoulder. "Just rest for now, you two could sleep in Baekhyun's old room. I suppose you'll skip dinner?" 

"I think so, Ma'am," he croaked out. It had been a long and emotional rollercoaster kind of day, and Chanyeol was drained. "I'm really sorry." He didn't know what he was apologizing for. For what he did in the past? For giving her and her husband the shock of the century? For skipping dinner? His brain and mouth seemed not to be cooperating well. 

"Chanyeol, sweetheart," her voice was dripping with warmth. "Tomorrow, okay? Now go to him, please. He looked like he'll collapse any second now. I can't believe I didn't notice how exhausted he was." 

Chanyeol nodded, excusing himself, though he felt like he needed to say more. But Mrs. Byun was right, Baekhyun might be smiling with his nephews and nieces, but he looked like hell.

The group of children was all over him. It was practically impossible for Chanyeol to get closer so he only stood a couple meters away. “Baekhyun,” he called, wanting the man's attention, or the children's attention, so they could stop.

Baekhyun looked up to him. His eyes glazed, his cheeks flushed, and he was giggling, nonstop. He was really out of it, near to the point of breaking. “Chanyeol, hey!”

“Your mom made you warm milk. Let's go rest.”

If Baekhyun recognized Chanyeol's stern voice, he didn't show it as he kept on giggling, while the children already detached themselves from him. It looked like he just couldn't stop himself rather than keep laughing because there was something actually funny around. The children started to look at him with weird smile, and other family members who Chanyeol still didn't know who was who began to look concern.

“God, I don't know why I can't stop laughing.” Baekhyun covered his mouth with his trembling palm.

“Jesus Christ,” Chanyeol muttered. His fiance was going crazy because of sleep deprive. He sneaked himself through the children and took a seat beside Baekhyun on the couch. “Okay,” his tone had some kind of finality in it. “Drink this, you need to wind down.”

“What's this?” Baekhyun asked with remnants of laugh in his lips.

“Milk, I already told you.”

“I must've missed it.”

“Of course.”

“Thank you, Chanyeol,” he said, still holding back a laugh.

Even looking so miserable like this, Chanyeol still thought he was so beautiful. If not because of the dozen pair of eyes looking at them, Chanyeol would’ve already kissed him. Instead, he opted out to just rub the small of his back, willing his fiance to wind down.

“Whoa, Mom, you made this, aren’t you? This is so--”

“No talking for at least ten minutes, babe.”

The endearment just slipped, and Chanyeol could hear the gaps coming from the aunties and uncles side, as well as the immediate hushed whispers. But one thing that Chanyeol could easily grasp from their not-so quiet conversation was when Baekhyun’s mom said it loud and clear. “He’s Baekhyun’s fiance. Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol expected to get some reaction from Baekhyun, but his fiance just kept drinking his milk quietly with one of his nephews sitting on his feet. Chanyeol wasn’t even sure that he was aware what happened around them.

Baekhyun lowered his cup, then gave it to Chanyeol.

“You need to shower,” Chanyeol got up from the couch, while his hand reached out to pull Baekhyun up with him. “Then let’s go to sleep.”

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Baekhyun answered, his bad mood due to sleep deprive was back like a lightning. But in contrary, he took Chanyeol’s hand and let himself be pulled up. “The dinner…”

“Darling,” Mrs. Byun called from across the room. The woman was cozying up with her husband hugging her from the back. “You could retreat for the night. We’ll see each other again tomorrow, okay?”

“B-but--”

Mrs. Byun eyes cut to Chanyeol, and he didn’t know since when or how this happened, but somehow, he knew what the woman mean with that gaze. “Come on, babe, show me your room.” Chanyeol forced Baekhyun to turn around around so they could move. Or else, they would just idle here and wait for Baekhyun to finally fall.

The house wasn’t big, with all the rooms got immediate access from the family living room, so it didn’t take too many stumbles from Baekhyun before they arrived to the plain door Chanyeol assumed that would take them to Baekhyun’s room. Just as his fiance opened the door to his room, Chanyeol turned to bow to the “spectators” in the house, and found one of the nephew who sat on Baekhyun’s feet earlier bringing him their bags.

“Hey,” Chanyeol leaned down to take their bags from him, then proceed to ruffle his hair. “Thanks, buddy. What’s your name?”

The kid’s expression turned from nervous to bright in a millisecond. “I’m Jiho,” he answered while beaming. “Is Uncle Baekhyun sick?”

“No, he’s not. Don’t worry. But he needs to rest now, so you could play with you tomorrow nonstop. Sounds good?”

“Yes!” Jiho nodded. What an adorable child.

“Alright, then.” Chanyeol pat the kid’s head once again before he turned to the older people watching him in the living room, then he gave them his final bow.

As he closed the door, the world felt like closed in on him and Chanyeol could finally breathe properly, his heartbeat slowed. Raking his fingers through his hair, he let out a pent-up exhale. “That was pretty nerve-racking,” he huffed.

When he turned around, he didn’t expect to see Baekhyun already splayed on the bed with his face completely buried in the pillows. Chanyeol chuckled as he approached his fiance, at the same time trying to take in his surrounding. The room was definitely different with the one in his own apartment. This one felt… bare. Chanyeol remembered Baekhyun telling him that this house was his parents’ old house. So maybe Baekhyun just didn’t have the time or didn’t stay here enough to decorate it just like his own, before he bought his own place in the city.

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol sat by the edge of the bed. He could tell that his fiance was already out, judging by the way his body gone totally slack. The hysteria of fatigue obviously had left him powerless. But still, Chanyeol tried to wake him. “Babe, you need to shower first.”

No move from the said man. Baekhyun was dead to the world.

And ironically, Chanyeol’s heart felt so full.

His hand reached out to touch Baekhyun’s soft hair, since he couldn’t touch his face. He ran his fingers through the hair and unconsciously humming unidentified tune, accompanied by the sound of unknown insect outside of the house. He felt absolute peace and by that time, Chanyeol couldn’t care less about shower or even go change their clothes.

Instead, he sneaked his arm underneath Baekhyun’s body, turning him around so he could sleep on his back comfortably. Now that Chanyeol could look at Baekhyun’s sleeping face, he thought that, yeah, screw shower. He was just gonna sleep with his fiance on his side until morning. He was tired, and he had a feeling tomorrow would be a really long and exhausting day for him.