The Realization

searching for that broken moon's other half

“What did you just say?” Chanyeol’s heartbeat quickened. Junmyeon’s words just tilted his perfect morning upside-down. “What do you mean strange?”

“Exactly what I meant,” Junmyeon whispered through the phone. “I’m at the police station now. Since yesterday, they’ve been really uncooperative, but this morning they were more lenient.”

“So, are you saying that Baekhyun’s accident is…”

“The testimony from Baekhyun is kinda unclear since he was probably still in shock and distraught. According to him, suddenly there’s just a car coming from his right when he resumed driving after stopping for traffic light. The police ruled out the accident as careless driving from the other’s driver part. But then, after further investigation, the CCTV showed the car had been waiting in that intersection for more than an hour, and suddenly fleed so fast toward Baekhyun’s car as soon as Baekhyun started to drive and crossed the intersection.”

Chanyeol bolted off the sofa and paced the living room in his apartment, trying to not make a loud sound as he didn’t want Baekhyun to realize that something was happening. Pacing wasn’t Chanyeol’s thing, it was Baekhyun’s. But now he needed this, he just couldn’t hold still.

What Junmyeon said was indeed strange, and Chanyeol’s head was going places he hated to admit, but at the same time, it was the only logical explanation.

“What’s the police gonna do?” Chanyeol asked, his tone gravely low.

“They’re having interrogation now. I just want to let you know, in case you want to come.”

“I’m coming,” Chanyeol said without doubt. Someone out there were potentially harming his fiance, and he wasn’t going to just sit still.

The problem was what was he going to tell Baekhyun? Would he tell the truth that his accident that made him get admitted to a hospital was actually not an accident? Would he tell that somehow, someone out there was targeting him? And if the one who did this was indeed the person Chanyeol suspected, wouldn't Baekhyun felt unsafe with him and left him?

Baekhyun had told him about his full intention to try making this relationship work. And what if now that he was in danger he would back off?

Chanyeol made sure that he got the station's address from Junmyeon before he cut off the line. He knew he need to go back to his room because Baekhyun would become suspicious if he was gone too long, but he still didn't know what to say.

When he went back to his room, Baekhyun was still lying on his back, with his posture rigid. It seemed like he was still afraid to move around even though his condition already got much better.

“What is it?” Baekhyun got up into sitting position. His hair was sticking to all directions.

Chanyeol sat beside him. His hands automatically reached for his fiance's cheeks. “Your secretary updated me about your accident.”

“Oh, you mean like insurance matter?”

“No, the accident.” Chanyeol could never lie at Baekhyun. “The police noticed something unusual.”

“Huh?” Baekhyun tilted his head, his eyes rounded confusedly. “What do you mean?”

“Listen,” Chanyeol sighed. Just why, why this had to happen. “It wasn't an accident. Someone was intentionally crash into you.”

Saying it out loud only made Chanyeol's blood boil just like before. And it added by the way Baekhyun's expression morphed from being confused to surprised before the slight fear overtake it. Chanyeol wanted to kill whoever behind this, and he had a feeling he knew who it was.

“Wha--Did you just say that someone actually--but--”

“Ssshhh… Baby, calm down.” Chanyeol wrapped Baekhyun's face with his hands. “I hate to do this but I have to go now to the police station. I'm going to call my mom so she could accompany you.”

“What the ,” Baekhyun breathed out. His eyes started to shake. “Chanyeol, I want to come too. You can't just leave me here.”

“Baekhyun, you don't have to be afraid--”

“I'm going to punch that son of a when I meet him. That looked innocent saying sorry to me yesterday. And now you say he did it intentionally? Like hell I'm just going to stay here. And it's not like I'm gonna let you near that alone. Who knows what he’s gonna do to you.”

Chanyeol didn't know what surprised him more, that his fiance was just as fearless as ever, or the fact that he still wanted to stay by Chanyeol's side. Chanyeol blinked, and it just came out of his mouth. “God, I love you.”

“Huh?” Baekhyun's murderous eyes actually turned soft right in front of him. His blush looked more prominent by the seconds. “I-- Chanyeol, this is not the time!”

Chanyeol leaned forward and planted a kiss on his fiance's lips. It was weird how this felt so natural, like it was a second nature for him, yet his stomach still fluttered like crazy.

When he pulled away, he chuckled at Baekhyun's astonished face. It was like he was completely knocked out of breath yet still tried to look pissed because his earlier demand was just brushed off by Chanyeol.

“I-I told you this is not the time--”

“This is not the time, but I'm still gonna kiss you anyway.” There was nothing in this world could stop him from kissing Baekhyun. He was deprived of ten years worth of kisses. “Now listen, I would love to have you come with me, but you're still unwell. You just got into accident for God's sake. So please do me a favor, stay here. I'll handle this with Junmyeon, for now. As soon as you get better, you can do whatever you want as long as you're safe. How about that?”

Baekhyun bit his tongue, looking like he was about to blurt out a million buts and reasons so he could go. But Chanyeol's fiance was smart, he knew if he went along, he would be no help and just be a hindrance. So he nodded. “Okay.” He relented. “But if you find something, you have to tell me. No hiding it in the name of protecting me or other kind of bull.”

Of course Baekhyun would say that, and Chanyeol was stupid for even have the thought crossing his mind that his fiance needed his protection and would leave him if he knew about the truth. This was the man Chanyeol had fallen in love with after all.

“Okay,” Chanyeol replied, smiling softly. He pushed the bangs away from Baekhyun's forehead so he could kiss him. “I promise.”

Baekhyun nodded, and his expression grew solemn. “Is it… is it who I think it is?”

Chanyeol already planned to destroy whoever trying to harm Baekhyun, but now that this situation also made his fiance wearing a solemn look, Chanyeol would make sure that the people behind this would suffer through hell.

“I still don't know.” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun into a hug, holding the back of his head with gentle hand. “But whoever they are, I'll make sure they'll regret it.”





 

 

 

 

Fiddling his fingers, Baekhyun sat on the bar stool in Chanyeol's kitchen island. He had the large apartment all to himself this afternoon and he really had no idea what to do. Chanyeol had left as soon as Baekhyun finished showering. He didn't want to leave while Baekhyun was alone in the shower, he said.

Baekhyun was feeling pretty good today though. His head no longer felt weird and his stomach didn't push him to throw up every damn minute.

He was fine to be left alone, really, but Chanyeol was also being annoyingly stubborn about not wanting Baekhyun to be alone in his current condition. So his fiance thought that asking his mom to come to accompany him would be a great idea.

“You could do son and mother-in-law bonding too. Isn't it great?”

Chanyeol might as well be the love of Baekhyun's life, but it didn't mean that he didn’t have massive urge to punch his fiance when he earlier. The only redeeming thing about this situation was the fact that Baekhyun knew Chanyeol already had his alone-moment with his mother back on his mother’s birthday party weeks ago. And he hated to admit that maybe this was indeed his turn to have his bonding time.

He was nervous. His hands turned cold and he had lost count of how many time he had glanced up to check time on the clock in the living room, waiting for his future mother-in-law to arrive.

Baekhyun looked down at how he dressed. He was wearing Chanyeol’s shirt obviously, since he had no clothes here. So he knew he at least looked somehow presentable. So one thing on his list of things to be worried about could be scratched off.

He hated how nervous he was because now he couldn’t go snooping around his fiance’s apartment. This was the first time he had visit Chanyeol’s private home after all. He thought that he would have time, but turned out Mrs. Park would come in ten minutes--no, it was in seven minutes now.

Can’t keep his nerves down, Baekhyun decided to get off the stool and moved to the living room so he could be near the front door. As he sat on the couch, Baekhyun prayed that he wouldn’t say something weird later. This was the Mrs. Park after all. He liked the woman, and he wanted to give a nice impression, although Chanyeol had assured him that his mom thought highly of him already. Well, if any of their interaction at Chanyeol’s company party the other day was anything to go by, maybe Baekhyun really didn’t need to be nervous. But who could blame him? This was the mother of a man he would marry. One of very few people that Chanyeol really cared about.

Baekhyun started when he heard the doorbell. His heart drummed in his chest until the only sound he could register was his own heartbeat. He had no time to be nervous now. He could only gulped then got up from the couch, making a beeline toward the door.

“Coming,” he yelled, hoping that he didn’t make the woman waited to long.

When he opened the door, the familiar, petite woman was looking at him with a worried gaze. “Oh thank God,” she unclasped her hands before went to hug Baekhyun. “You took your sweet time opening the door, I was afraid you fainted inside.”

And just like that, Baekhyun nervousness evaporated. He chuckled before hugging back his future mother-in-law. “Thank you for coming, Mrs. Park. But really,” he pulled away. “I’m fine now, you don’t have to worry.”

The woman hit his chest lightly. “Of course I’d worry. You’re my son now, Byun Baekhyun. If anything happened to you, I’d be worried to death.”

Warm seeped into his chest. This woman was truly the one who had birthed the most amazing man Baekhyun had ever known. “I’m sorry I worried you, Mrs. Park. But I do think that Chanyeol was exaggerating when he told you about my condition. It wasn’t that bad. Anyway, please come in.”

“Oh please,” Chanyeol’s mom went pass Baekhyun, entering her son’s house. “Don’t you think I didn’t see the news. You were brought into hospital.”

Baekhyun bit his lip to hide his apologetic smile as he led the woman to the living room. As soon as she sat down, Baekhyun took care of the things she brought. A bunch of fruits and some food with the label “organic” in its package. “But I could immediately go home after that. So it means I was fine, Mrs. Park,” Baekhyun still tried to argue.

“Oh my God, you’re the exact replica of my son. So stubborn.”

Baekhyun laughed. From the kitchen, he could here the woman also laughed with him. Who was it again who thought that this bonding time could go wrong?

“But seriously…” The petite woman came to the kitchen. “I was really worried when I got the news. My husband too.”

Baekhyun flinched at that. “Oh,” he laughed nervously. “Mr. Minhyuk knew about it?”

“Of course he knew. He was the one who told me.”

He couldn’t say anything to that. After all, he had his suspicion about his accident related to that man. “It was nice of him to keep track about me.” Baekhyun forced himself to smile.

Luckily, Mrs. Park wasn’t looking at him. She was busy unpacking her groceries, seemingly started to prepare food for the both of them. “He cares about you, sweetheart. You’re part of this family now.”

Baekhyun’s mind wandered. If his suspicion was turned out true, that Chanyeol’s stepdad was trying to harm him, he guessed that the cruel man wouldn’t stop at this. From Chanyeol’s story, it was obvious the man was willing to do everything in his power to not have his position to be snatched away by Chanyeol. So he tried to get rid of Baekhyun first. Now that he failed, who knew what he would do next?

Baekhyun wasn’t afraid for himself. Hell no. He was scared that the man’s target would change to Chanyeol.

He didn’t know when did this started, but the thought of something happened to Chanyeol was enough to make him sick to his stomach.

“Mr. Minhyuk seems like a nice man,” Baekhyun managed to respond.

“He is.” Mrs. Park smiled. There was no a single trace of doubt, or sadness, or hatred in her eyes. Which meant she really meant what she said, and Baekhyun couldn’t help but baffled. “My husband is really nice even from the start. Honestly, I don’t think I could survive the grief of losing my late-husband if Minhyuk wasn’t there with me. He held me and the company strong.” She sighed. “Which is why I’m so confused why Chanyeol seems to hate him so much. He never gets along with Minhyuk.”

Maybe because he abused him! Baekhyun wanted to say, but decided to just seal his lips. “Chanyeol had his own reasons,” he opted out to say.

Mrs. Park’s brows raised. “What do you mean by that, darling?”

Baekhyun clamped his mouth. , did he cross the line?

He knew that Mrs. Park was a wonderful mother. She was a kind-hearted woman who just wanted the best for people around her. But then, that kind of kindness sometimes could blind people into thinking that everything was fine, that there wasn’t any grey zone in this world.

Chanyeol had suffered so much, even until now. Almost every aspect of his life was ruined, including his relationship with Baekhyun, because he grew up in a such toxic environment that made him believe that he couldn’t trust anyone and didn’t have the ability to love someone.

But he did.

He trusted Baekhyun. And he loved Baekhyun.

And Chanyeol just deserved so much more, and maybe Baekhyun was tired to just stay silent.

“Mrs. Park,” Baekhyun’s hands turned to fists. “This is not my place to say, so it’s best that you talk to your son. But please know,” he stopped, making sure that his lover’s mother truly understand this. “Please know that everything isn’t as perfect as it seems.”





 

 

 

 

Mrs. Park pushed him to tell her what he meant about what he said, but Baekhyun refused, until finally the woman gave up and they decided to leave the matter behind and enjoyed their time together. Baekhyun was glad that they could do everything normally after that, without being tensed or awkward. Mrs. Park was a smart woman, so he knew he didn’t have to be worried. He was sure the mother would talk to her son or her husband at some point in the future.

Spending time with Mrs. Park wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. The woman was pretty much the same like his own mother. No wonder they got along really well.

They spend the whole day mostly talking, with TV’s sound in the background constantly. They talked about Baekhyun’s life after he went away ten years ago. They talked about how he and Chanyeol got into their current relationship now, although Baekhyun needed to omit some facts. They talked about the wedding which was still totally unplanned, and that just made Baekhyun think.

This hadn’t crossed his mind before because of the chaos around them these past two days. But he realized that their initial relationship was full of pretenses and obligations based on written contract. And now that he knew that Chanyeol’s feeling for him was real, that he was also willing to give his all to this relationship, where did this leave them?

This wasn’t a relationship based on contract anymore. And if they continued, it wouldn’t feel right, because now Baekhyun no longer took part in this relationship for merit. To hell about Chanyeol’s company being his sponsor or he could become the stakeholder in Chanyeol’s company. Those kind of things, Baekhyun could get it with his own effort if he tried harder. But Chanyeol…

Chanyeol was the only one in this world, and Baekhyun would kill himself if his relationship with the man he loved was based on contract.

The man he loved…

Baekhyun’s in love with Chanyeol.

The realization didn’t hit him hard like a freaking bullet like it was often described in work of fictions. There he was, in the middle of his partner’s living room, accompanied by his partner’s mom, Baekhyun realized that he was in love with man he once hated.

“Baekhyun, my dear?”

Baekhyun was pulled out from his thought when he heard his name was called by the woman beside him. He blinked at her a few times before he found his voice. “Yes, Ma’am?”

Mrs. Park smiled. “Your phone’s ringing.”

Only then Baekhyun realized that his phone on the glass table in front of him had been ringing this whole time. He gave out an embarrassed laugh as he picked up his phone.

“Hello?”

“Babe, hey.”

Hearing Chanyeol’s voice after the realization about his feelings weirdly made him blush like a high school girl in love. “Hey,” he only managed one word.

“So I just finished here. How have you been? Are you okay?”

Yeah, how the hell Baekhyun could not fall in love with this man? Baekhyun’s well being was always his number one priority in his list. “I’m okay. Are you coming home? How’s the investigation?”

“Nothing significant. I’ll tell you the details later. But now I just don’t feel like it’s safe for you to be alone. Would you stay with me for a few days?”

Honestly, Baekhyun would love to stay with him forever. “Yeah, I don’t mind.”

“Great. Then I’m going to your house now. I’ll pick up some of your clothes and other important things.”

“Alright. I’ll wait for you here.”

“Okay. I love you.”

“I--” Baekhyun stopped. He wanted to reply to it so much, but knew that this wasn’t supposed to be said the first time through phone. “Take care, Chanyeol.”

“Of course. See you later.”

With that, the line was cut off and Baekhyun was back to reality.

Mrs. Park was looking at him with a knowing look. “You’re only separated with him for merely hours, and you already miss him?”

Baekhyun gaped. How did… “Is it that obvious?”

Mrs. Park giggled, then got up from the seat. Baekhyun followed. “You eyes couldn’t lie, sweetheart. You look like you couldn’t wait until he come home, even for one more hour or so.”

Baekhyun should feel embarrassed, that his feelings was bared open like this. But he was too far gone to care. He just wanted to see Chanyeol soon. “I miss him.”

Mrs. Park put her hand on his shoulder. Her teasing and knowing look was replaced by eyes dripping with fondness. “Then go see him. I think you’re well enough to go out. Just be careful? I think my duty here is also done. I’m going home. There’s something I need to do anyway.”

It was like his heart could breathe again. The prospect of meeting Chanyeol was enough to make him felt this excited? Good God, he couldn’t let Chanyeol knew about this. “Thank you, Mrs. Park.”





 

 

 

Chanyeol gripped the steering wheel with great intensity as he picked up his speed as soon as he left the police station. He was irritated by the fact that the day had gone by without result.

The investigation was dropped and the case was closed by the police as the criminal was announced innocent by them. They said the person didn’t plan to wait at the intersection. He was just there .

Just how the hell he was just there , Chanyeol would never understand and he was ready to push. But the police was uncooperative and Chanyeol along with Junmyeon had run out of ideas to force the police to keep investigating.

For now, Chanyeol would come home, back to Baekhyun, and planned how to deal with this all over again. Because there was no way he would let this just slip away. No one could with the one he loved and just get away with it.

Chanyeol knew that the testimony from the guy was bull. He was sure that his stepdad was behind all of this. He just needed to find out how to find the evidence.

That could wait until tomorrow. Now he was pooped and just wanted to go back to his fiancé. Hug him and maybe kiss him, and sleep with him.

That was why he was rushing to Baekhyun’s apartment now. He would take Baekhyun’s things as many as he could. Until this problem settled, there was no way Chanyeol would let Baekhyun to be alone again.

The thought of really living with his fiancé still hadn’t sunk in. And Chanyeol would like to keep it that way, because he felt like he would freak out if he began to think about the weight of it. Living together with your significant other wasn’t an easy matter, after all.

So for now, he put the thought to the back of his mind and focused on the task at hand.

It didn’t take long, before his phone rang. But it didn’t ring because someone was calling or messaging him.

It was an alarm.

That was connected to the alarm device in Baekhyun’s apartment.

Chanyeol’s blood ran cold, and he immediately pulled away from the road, not caring if it was dangerous. He stopped his car and quickly grabbed his phone. He cradled it with horror in eyes.

He wasn’t wrong. The distinctive red alarm symbol on his phone screen as well as the loud sound blaring from his phone were the clear indication that it was notification from the alarm he set up in Baekhyun's apartment.

Someone was trying to break in.

Chanyeol quickly turned off the alarm and pulled up the police number. He called for an emergency and was replied by confirmation that they would go there immediately.

After that, he called Baekhyun. But the call was connected to voicemail.

By this point, Chanyeol was hyperventilating.

He called his mom, and it was connected. “Mom? Is Baekhyun with you?”

“Whoa, whoa, darling, slow down. What happened?”

“Please tell me you’re still with Baekhyun in my house,” he yelled, and he was sure his mom wouldn’t like it.

“Wha—No, I’m already on the way home because Baekhyun left to see you. He said he’s going to his house.”

“What? Mom, I specifically told you to not leave—, , I’ll call you later.”

“Chan—“

Chanyeol cut the line short. He would apologize to his mom later. Now he needed to go.

Just why the Baekhyun had to go see him. God, Chanyeol wanted to strangle him for being an idiot. He was in grave danger only yesterday and now he just got into another one.

Chanyeol started to drive the car again, trying so hard to stay calm as to not crash into other cars.

He tried to think rationally. Chances were Baekhyun still hadn’t arrived in his house since Chanyeol only called him fifteen minutes ago, and at that time he was still in his apartment with his mom. And Baekhyun’s phone was also connected to the alarm, so he must’ve received the notification too and he would avoid his house at all cost.

But when Chanyeol called him earlier, his phone was off, so…

Chanyeol shook his head. He was being paranoid and panicked out of his mind, but it would be okay. Baekhyun was fine, he was sure. Chanyeol just needed to get there safe and fast.

It was ten minutes later that he was finally nearing Baekhyun’s apartment and his body was drenched with cold sweat. His body was shaking and he barely could hold himself together anymore. But he arrived, finally. And he could see the blue and red light coming from a couple of police cars who were faster than him to come there.

He wanted to let out a relieved sigh, but couldn’t. Not before he could see Baekhyun safe and sound.

He parked his car, and in a lightning speed, got out of his car and ran toward the commotion.

There were many people gathered. The police, some pedestrians who heard the commotion, and the apartment’s official.

Chanyeol’s head whipped around to all directions. His lips were calling Baekhyun’s name, his eyes were swimming across all people, trying to spot him. But Chanyeol couldn’t.

He couldn’t find Baekhyun.

He stumbled toward the police as he pulled out his phone once again. Maybe this time Baekhyun would pick up. He had to pick up. Or else Chanyeol would go crazy.

He was about to dial Baekhyun’s number once again when he heard it.

“Chanyeol!”

He turned around so fast he got a whiplash, but not as fast as he spotted his fiancé. Chanyeol would find Baekhyun anywhere.

“Baekhyun,” he croaked out, his throat burn. He just realized he had been suppressing the urge to cry this whole time.

The strength in his body evaporated as he ran toward his fiancé, and he met him in the middle. As soon as Baekhyun was in his arms, hugging his neck tightly, Chanyeol could finally breathe.

“Christ,” Chanyeol breathed out. “Thank .”

Baekhyun was trembling in his arms. “God, I was so scared. I was on my way here and my phone rang. It was the alarm you put on my apartment. I was afraid that you were already there and there was someone who would harm you. And my battery died, and I couldn’t call you. you, I was so worried.”

Chanyeol tightened his arms around Baekhyun, his head was buried in his fiance’s neck. He needed Baekhyun as close to him as possible. “I told you to not leave the house. What the , Baekhyun.” He pulled away and cradled Baekhyun’s face with his hands. His fiancé was crying. “I’m mad at you right now, but I’m so relieved. I love you so much.”

“I love you too.”

Chanyeol must’ve been dreaming right now. There was no way that sentence just came out Baekhyun’s mouth. “What?”

Baekhyun took a step closer so he was even more pressed to Chanyeol now. “This is so lame because you confessed to me in a hospital, and now I confessed to you in the middle of police’s light. But Park Chanyeol, I’m in love with you. Without me realizing, you were the source of my strength for the past ten years. You were my drive to be better. I thought at first maybe it was for the wrong reasons, for proving to you that I could be in the same level as you. But in the end, you’re my strength all the same.”

“Now you came back to my life, and you made my days impossibly brighter and my heart so light and heavy at the same time with my love and trust for you. You hurt me, then you mend me, then you made me believe . As crazy as it sounds, you had me from day one. I was just too chicken- to admit it. This accident just made me realize how afraid I was to lose you. I never want that.”

Chanyeol must’ve cried, because he felt his cheeks wet. Inside of his chest, his heart thundered like a runaway train. He couldn’t find his voice at all, and all he wanted to do was to reply that he loved Baekhyun too. So much.

“God, look at you,” Baekhyun chuckled, tears still streaming down his face. But he was unbearably beautiful. “You’re a mess.”

The first sob came out violent, and Chanyeol couldn’t take it anymore. He cried into Baekhyun’s shoulder and held him tightly as his fiancé rubbed a soothing circle on his back.

He poured it all out. His relieved, his misery, but mostly his love for this man for the past ten years.

Baekhyun loved him back. God, Baekhyun loved him back.

He cried, and cried, and cried, until he lost time of how long they stood there.

Everyone was probably looking at them funny. Two grown-up men crying together in middle of the night. But Chanyeol couldn't care less. This was the moment he had been waited for life. He would savor the hell out of it as much as he could.

“Hey, babe, I love you but,” Baekhyun patted his back, his voice soft. “We need to talk to the police who the hell was trying to break into my goddamn apartment.”

Chanyeol was half crying half laughing now. He was sure his face was a mess but he didn’t care. He pulled away to face his fiance’s adoring gaze at him. “Way to ruin the mood.”

“What mood? You’re just crying like a baby.”

“ me, I hate you and love you so much.”

“Likewise.” Baekhyun grinned at him. His face was tear-stained but the trace of sadness wasn’t seen anymore. “Let’s go.”

Baekhyun grabbed his hand and led him to the police who was waiting for them by the main door of the apartment building. As soon as they were in front of them, Chanyeol quickly took charge, after he wiped all his tears, of course.

“Good evening,” he greeted. “I’m Park Chanyeol, the one who called for emergency earlier. This is Byun Baekhyun, my fiancé. He’s the owner of the apartment.”

“Mr. Park, Mr. Byun,” one of the police nodded at them. “We had come up to your room earlier, checking it if there was indeed anything suspicious. We arrived with the building’s security and we found nothing wrong, sir. The front door is in perfect condition, there was no sign of force. With the permission from the manager, we have entered the room and checked inside. And we don’t think there was anything out of place.”

“The alarm was designed to ring if there was any even little fraction of force. Are you sure that there was nothing there?” Chanyeol asked.

“Yes, we’re sure, sir. But we suggest that we go up together again now, just to make sure. Also so you could spot something different that we don’t notice, since you’re the one who’s familiar with your own house.”

“Yeah, sure,” Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun, and his fiancé only nodded. Then they followed the police to Baekhyun’s room.

Chanyeol kept being beside Baekhyun the whole time they were going to his room. Chanyeol wanted revel over the fact that the love of his life just told him that he loved him back, but he didn’t get the pleasure to do it for now.

His mind running over the possible scenario of what happened here. Was it really just a fluke of the alarm? Did someone actually try to enter the apartment? Was it his stepdad’s doing? It could be anything.

When they arrived, Chanyeol could see that the police didn’t lie. There wasn’t a single sign of forced entry. They opened the door and the light inside was out, just like Baekhyun left it.

“You can come inside, sir. We already checked, and there was no one or anything dangerous inside,” the police explained.

Baekhyun stayed silent beside him, biting his lip, and Chanyeol just knew.

“Hey,” Chanyeol caressed his fiance’s cheek. “Do you want me to check it?”

“Will you be okay?” Baekhyun looked up at him with eyes so vulnerable. This had happened two days in a row, and Chanyeol had enough.

“Of course. Just wait here, okay? I’ll do your usual routine.”

“ Please be careful?”

“Don’t worry about me, love.” Chanyeol kissed his forehead, and with that he headed inside.

Chanyeol the light and did what he usually do. With his senses on high alert, he checked every corner in every room. He also made sure if there was any of Baekhyun things that probably got moved or missing. But he found nothing strange. So, what the hell did this mean?

He got out and Baekhyun visibly let out a sigh of relieved. Chanyeol came to him and hugged him. He hated that he could feel his fiancé was trembling all over.

“It’s safe, nothing strange. Do you want to come inside to check?” he asked in Baekhyun’s ears.

Baekhyun shook his head. “I trust you. I just want to go, please.”

Chanyeol cursed under his breath. He wanted to push the investigation, but Baekhyun was visibly terrified now. Baekhyun was his priority, and right now his priority was to tuck him inside the safety of his home.

“Thank you, officer.” Chanyeol finally spoke to the police. “I think we’ve made sure that everything is fine. We really thank you for your fast response and assist.”

They exchanged some words about contacting them if there was anything weird again before they parted, and Chanyeol and Baekhyun were left alone. After that, Chanyeol did what he needed to do. He left Baekhyun by the entrance door of his own home while he did what he originally wanted to do by coming here. He packed everything that Baekhyun needed for a whole week. Clothes, his work documents, toiletries, and other things that Baekhyun instructed him to pack from where he stood.

Chanyeol packed everything with his heart heavy. Baekhyun had refused to go inside because he was too scared. Even though there was nothing wrong, it still broke Baekhyun one way or another. This incident evidently had hurt Baekhyun more than an actual car crash accident.

Chanyeol closed his eyes and took a deep breath. just got out of hands. This might be a fluke, but Chanyeol refused to believe. Incidents for two days in a row targeted to his fiancé couldn’t be just a fluke. This was deliberated. Whether it was really to harm Baekhyun or just warnings, Chanyeol wasn’t sure. But just like he had promised, no one around with his beloved persons.

When everything was done, Baekhyun looked like he was ready to bolt out of here. So Chanyeol took his hand and they left together.

The journey to Chanyeol’s car was spent in silence, even when Chanyeol started to drive away from Baekhyun’s apartment building.

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol tried to get his attention. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, just… you know,” he answered while his eyes kept staring right ahead. He was quiet for a while before he turned to Chanyeol. “I think we need to talk, Chanyeol. About our marriage contract.”

 

 

 


A/N: This will be the last not-so cliffhanger, as next chapter is the last chapter :"