The Party

searching for that broken moon's other half

“So only one more hearing we could get the deal?”

“Yes, but we need to take a note that this company won’t give us huge amount of sponsor.”

“Doesn’t matter, Junmyeon. They have wide market, it’ll give boost on our name, at the very least.”

“I agree, boss. So we’re gonna proceed as usual?” Junmyeon put his pen down as he finished writing all the things he needed to do today and looked up at his boss sitting across from him.

Humming with his brows creased together, Baekhyun still tried to concentrate on the paper in his hold, trying to pinpoint if there were any flaws or errors in the proposal they were going to give to their target company. “I think this one is okay. You can send it to them,” he said as he gave Junmyeon the paper full of notes and red scratches from his pen. “I’m ing beat.”

Junmyeon looked at him with an amused glance. “But we finished it in just five days. Usually it takes a full week and unnecessary overtimes.”

“True,” Baekhyun sighed. He finally could feel relaxed now after the endless strained on his back for the past few days.

“You seem to be on a roll after your visit to your parents’ house last week. Maybe you should go home more often?”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Yeah, no thanks. I was exhausted.”

“I figured. Must be tiring with your relatives talking your ears off over your fiancé.”

Baekhyun shot him a look. “Hey, Kim Junmyeon, you’re enjoying this, aren’t you?”

“Alright, alright.” Junmyeon raised his hands, surrendering. “Your mood is still ty, I see.”

Scowling, Baekhyun leaned his back to his chair. “My mood is always ty.”

“But you glow.”

“Shut up, Junmyeon.”

Right after Baekhyun threw the childish tantrum toward his longtime secretary, his phone rang, and Baekhyun had to admit it was embarrassing how fast he was grabbing the ringing device, as if he was waiting for it to ring for so long. He heard his secretary let out a chuckle, but he couldn’t care less. After all, his fiance was calling him.

He tapped the answer button. “Chanyeol?”

“Baekhyun, babe, sorry I don’t think we could have lunch together today.”

Chanyeol’s voice sounded rushed, like he was calling him while running, but Baekhyun couldn’t hear any sound other than his voice, so he must’ve been just panicking. His initial annoyance that they couldn’t have lunch today vanished and replaced by concern. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, sorry,” he said, then he was silent for a second. By the sound of it, Chanyeol seemed to be rummaging his desk. “I’m panicking right now.”

“No .” Baekhyun looked up to Junmyeon packing all their documents and excusing himself, Baekhyun only gave him a nod. “What’s wrong?”

“I might forget to tell you something and you’re probably going to kill me.”

“I’m going to kill you if you don’t tell me right this second. What the hell is wrong?”




 

 

 

“You look amazing.”

“Shut up.”

Baekhyun tried to reign his anger, but even he knew that he wasn’t that angry to his fiancé. He should’ve expected this, honestly. After all, his fiancé was sometimes an idiot and Baekhyun was left to wonder did he seriously have feelings for him or maybe it was just an illusion.

The thing was, Chanyeol forgot to mention that he wanted Baekhyun to meet his family in an event where all people from different industries gathered in one place. Baekhyun somehow remembered this deal since Chanyeol had mentioned in the passing back then when they discussed about their marriage contract.

But who would exactly remember that? It was Chanyeol’s responsibility to remind him about the event, not the other way around.

Now, two days after Chanyeol dropped the bomb to him through phonecall, Baekhyun was trapped inside Chanyeol’s car, en route to some fancy building that he was sure he never set a foot on.

Baekhyun was starting to consider jumping out of the car right at this moment. But he knew that Chanyeol would immediately catch him since he wasn’t driving. They were having a driver tonight since it was a special event, and Chanyeol was sitting on the backseat beside him. So, his plan to run away would definitely fail.

“I told you I was sorry.” Despite the darkness inside the car, Baekhyun still could tell that Chanyeol was sporting a miserable expression. Even from his tone, Baekhyun knew that his fiancé was genuinely sorry. “I was out of my head this week. You know how busy I was. And the previous week, I was too busy thinking about meeting your family.”

Baekhyun clicked his tongue before he faced the handsome man beside him. His fiancé had cleaned up really, really nice, wearing a dark navy suit with grey button up shirt that nicely hugged his frame. In short, he was handsome. Well, when did he not? But today, he was especially more handsome.

“I just can’t believe you’re bringing me to this event to meet your family for the first time. How is this fair? I brought you to my small family garden party, and you bring me to a freaking auction party?”

“Babe—“

“Don’t babe me.”

Chanyeol sighed. “Alright, babe , listen. It would be nothing. You probably will only meet them for, what, five minutes at most? Besides, it wouldn’t be you who will take it hard. It’ll be me. You know how ruthless my father is toward me.”

Baekhyun bit his lip. “Did… did your father know you’re bringing me?”

“When I first told him that I have a fiancé, he immediately asked me to bring them to the party. So yes, he knew I’m bringing you.”

“Does he knew that your fiancé…” Baekhyun trailed off, somehow he got nervous. “… is me?”

It was clear from how Baekhyun worded it, let alone his tone of voice, that he was anxious. And it would be stupid to think that Chanyeol wouldn’t catch on that.

Chanyeol grabbed his hand, and it was the first time Baekhyun let the man touch him that night. “He knew,” Chanyeol said matter-of-factly, a complete opposite of Baekhyun’s unsure voice. “And Baekhyun, I assure you, you don’t need to be worried.”

“But I was…” Baekhyun gulped. His throat suddenly hurt. He was completely vulnerable and he hated it, feeling like this. “I was your servant.”

For a second, Chanyeol looked surprised. Then his eyes turned soft as he was taking a deep breath. Before Baekhyun knew, Chanyeol already scooted himself closer to him, and now he was in the arms of his fiancé. Chanyeol’s rough palm touched his cheek, when his other hand circled around his waist.

“Hey, look at me,” he started. “Since when did you care about that? You’re the son of my household’s servant, and so? You’re a person. And I—“ His words caught in his throat, and at that moment, Chanyeol looked as vulnerable as he was. “I chose you to be my fiancé.”

It was funny how a few words could calm him in an instant. His chest felt warm and his hands now shook from the urge to grab Chanyeol instead out of anxiety. Baekhyun had to swallow hard to keep his voice from breaking. “Thank you.”

From the corner of his eyes, Baekhyun saw that they were nearing their destination, and his heartbeat picked up once more. But he was soon distracted when Chanyeol bracketed his arms on either side of Baekhyun’s head, pulling him to kiss his forehead.

Baekhyun’s heart beat too fast for a different reason now.


 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was pretty speechless.

Now don’t get him wrong. He had his fair shares of party. After all, he was the CEO of a pretty well-known NGO company in the country, so of course, he was invited in a bunch of parties every year.

But this? This party was on a whole other level.

Baekhyun was grateful that Chanyeol was sending him new suits for this party because he realized now that every single suits he had in his closet were a huge embarrassment compared to what he and everyone wore tonight.

Looking good tonight was important because he was meeting Chanyeol’s family. Chanyeol might not have the best relationship with his family, but it didn’t mean Baekhyun didn’t want to look good. Now Baekhyun understood why Chanyeol said he wanted to leave a good impression on his family a week ago.

As soon as he stepped into the hall, he was nervous, but mostly excited, or the better word would be curious. He was worried yet curious to meet the bad apples of Chanyeol’s family after so long. Come to think of it, he didn’t have any reason to be nervous at all. What did he was so afraid of again?

Now that he had known what happened between Chanyeol and his family, he couldn’t help but want to see with his own eyes just how the stepfather and son interacted. And maybe, in the middle of it, Baekhyun could in and showed them that they just couldn’t do whatever they liked to the people Baekhyun cared about and go away with it. Baekhyun wouldn’t let it.

If anything, Chanyeol was the one who was looking tensed as hell right now. He was gripping Baekhyun’s hand rather tightly like his life depended on it. Baekhyun didn’t complain, it was understandable that Chanyeol was more nervous than he was.

“We don’t have to stay long if it’s going to upset you to be around them.” Baekhyun squeezed his hand, trying to calm his fiancé down.

When Chanyeol glanced at him, he looked distracted but tried to smile. “Yeah,” he answered shortly. “Just make sure you never leave my side.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.”

They stopped once in a while whenever there was someone who came up to them. Chanyeol handled them professionally, bowing and introducing Baekhyun in between. Baekhyun didn’t really expect to be introduced as fiancé tonight, but that was exactly what happened. Chanyeol introduced him with the utmost pride. His smile and gaze showed that he was proud to be able to have him as his.

This was the first time Baekhyun felt the urge to show his engagement ring to the whole room. He wanted to show that this man right here, standing strong in front of everyone despite the demon in the back of his mind crawling, was his. Park Chanyeol was his fiancé, soon to be his husband.

When they finally could excuse themselves from the CEO of one of the biggest retail chains in South Korea, Chanyeol immediately brought him to the drink area.

“I need a drink or two to go through tonight,” Chanyeol huffed out as he picked two glasses of champagne, bringing one to his lips, and one for Baekhyun.

Baekhyun could breathe for a while now as he exhaled a long pent up breath, letting the golden drink washed down his throat. “And we haven’t even met the big boss.”

Chanyeol scoffed. “Big boss? He was nothing.”

“I meant your mother. I’m more nervous meeting her than your stepdad. I’m smart in dealing with s, but with mothers?”

Chanyeol’s expression loosened. “You’re in for a treat. Ready to face the big boss?”

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun spotted them even before Chanyeol pointed at them.

Thankfully, they haven’t seen the two of them, given the fact that they stood in a crowded area with waiters passed around trays of small cakes and champagne. Baekhyun was beyond grateful that he had spare time to watch the family, monitoring them before they were given the chance to do the other way around.

Mrs. Park didn’t look like she aged even a year since the last time he saw her ten years ago. She was still as beautiful and graceful as ever. She was smiling rather politely to what happened on the stage, some band performing jazz piece. Honestly, Baekhyun couldn’t wrap his head around the fact that this woman could be together with a douchebag.

Speaking of douchebag, Baekhyun’s eyes landed on a man beside the woman, talking to the younger version of him. Mr. Minhyuk was obviously fake laughing to what Minki had said to him.

Baekhyun sneered and look away. Even before it started, he already knew that he wouldn’t be able to filter his mouth for so long tonight.

Chanyeol glanced at him. “Go all out as much as you want.”

Baekhyun smirked. Obviously his fiancé knew how much Baekhyun really wanted to play his part right now. “You bet I am.”

This was it. This was the part of their deal, make it believable to everyone’s eyes, especially Chanyeol’s stepdad, that they were real fiances, and got the CEO position for Chanyeol. Baekhyun wouldn’t let this chance slip. For whatever reason his stepdad abused Chanyeol in the past, Baekhyun would never forgive the old man. And this was how he was going to help his fiancé, the man who had shot to the top list of his most important person in Baekhyun’s life.

The beautiful woman with dark violet dress turned her head toward them and immediately beamed. “Chanyeol! Darling, I’m glad you could make it.”

For a moment, Baekhyun’s objective to give the revenge Chanyeol deserved vanished when the woman walked toward them. Mrs. Park radiated such positive energy it spread even to him.

“Hey, Mom.” Chanyeol kissed his mom’s cheek, without even loosening his hold on Baekhyun’s hand. “Mom, this is Baekhyun.”

Mrs. Park turned to him. “Baekhyun.” She quickly released her son and pulled Baekhyun into a hug. “So nice to see you again, you’ve grown so mature.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Nice to see you too, Mrs. Park. How are you?”

“I’m fantastic.” She released him. The look she gave him almost make Baekhyun squinted because it was so bright. “I can’t believe we finally met. I gotta say that since my son told me you’re engaged I’ve been planning to ambush you without his permission.”

Chanyeol slung his arm around Baekhyun’s waist. “I told you you’ll meet him someday, Mom.”

“That’s not fair. Minhee got to meet both of you before me.”

Baekhyun raised his brows. “You knew, Mrs. Park?”

“Of course I knew, darling. Your mom called me last week and we’ve talked a lot. And I must say I envy her so much for being able to spend her time with both of you.”

Chanyeol groaned. “Mom, you know that getting their permission is the most important thing for me.”

Baekhyun’s chest warmed at the same time Mrs. Park’s eyes softened. “I knew, darling.” The woman touched her son’s cheek. “I mean, I knew they would give you their blessing, but still, I’m so happy and proud for you.” Then she looked at Baekhyun. “Thank you for giving my stupid son a chance, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun needed to blink to hide his tears. “No, Mrs. Park. I’m…” He stopped to look at Chanyeol. “I’m the one thankful that he had found me.”

It was the first time Baekhyun voicing his gratitude toward Chanyeol. Even he was surprised by the amount of truth behind his words, and Chanyeol looked like he was ready to ditch the party right there and then to bring Baekhyun back to either his house or Baekhyun’s house. Chanyeol’s expression basically said unfair! And Baekhyun had to smile because he felt bad for his fiancé. But Chanyeol said he didn’t need to hold back. So he wouldn’t.

“Look who do we have here?” The moment was broken by Chanyeol’s stepdad taking position beside his wife, followed by his son and a woman who Baekhyun guessed was his fiancée. “I didn’t expect you to actually come, my son.”

Chanyeol visibly tensed beside him. The word son obviously really bothered him. “Good evening, Mr. Minhyuk. How are you?” Baekhyun decided to open the talk between them.

“Byun Baekhyun,” Minhyuk nodded, his smile was indescribable. “Nice to see you again. I must say that I was surprised when I knew that you’re my son’s fiancé.”

Chanyeol’s mom giggled. “Right? I was also beyond surprised that I immediately told my husband about it the first time Chanyeol told me.”

“I was so shocked to the point I thought it was a lie.” The old man laughed. And God, Baekhyun hated it to the bones.

There was nothing that Baekhyun wanted more than to assure Chanyeol right in that second. His fiancé was trembling beside him, he could feel it. And that was when Baekhyun knew he need to step up.

“Well, to be honest, I can’t say that I wasn’t surprised too when Chanyeol proposed to me.” Baekhyun squeezed his hand, making it visible to their eyes. “But if you were in my shoes back when it happened, you would know how serious and earnest Chanyeol was. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get rid of him until I say yes.”

Chanyeol’s stepdad gave him stink eyes while his wife clung to him. “Aww, isn’t it sweet, darling? I can’t believe my son is all grown up and getting married. And oh my God, when’s the wedding?”

“It wouldn’t be so soon, Mrs. Park. We’re both really busy, so…” Baekhyun trailed off, his eyes casted on another couple. “Seems like Minki and his fiancée are more prepared than us?”

The question obviously had caught them off guard, except Mrs. Park. She was too innocent to be trapped in all of this mess of her family.

Minki and his fiancée stepped forward. “Our wedding would be in two months, and of course, you’re invited, Baekhyun. It’s nice to see you again.”

Baekhyun never interacted with Minki that much. Back then, he thought that Minki was the better brother between the two. But now, Baekhyun just couldn’t shake the fact that this man was just his father’s puppet.

“Nice to see you again, too, Minki. And…”

“Oh,” Minki pulled the woman beside him. “This is my fiancée, Jinri.”

The long-haired woman introduced as Jinri totally caught Baekhyun off guard when she approached and gave him a hug. “Nice to finally meet you, future brother-in-law.”

Blinking, Baekhyun wracked his brain for an answer, but turned out he didn’t have to because Chanyeol already pulled him back, leaving Jinri confused yet amused.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was used to greet people with hugging, maybe because I lived overseas?”

God, Baekhyun want to gag. This family, besides Chanyeol and his mom, was absolutely impossible. “It’s okay, Jinri. Nice to meet you, too.”

Baekhyun didn’t even dare to take a look at his fiancé. He was pissed for sure, and Baekhyun needed to take action before Chanyeol exploded.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol. I wasn’t about to steal your fiancé.” Jinri giggled, then turned to Baekhyun. “You’re lucky to have Chanyeol as your fiancé, Baekhyun. He’s protective.”

Baekhyun took the chance. He glanced at Chanyeol, and he was right, Chanyeol was one second away from snapping. “Why, Jinri, you can have him, if you want.”

Chanyeol turned his attention to Baekhyun. And just like that, seeing Baekhyun teasingly smiled at him, his cold stare melted. “Babe…” he was half laughing and half whining.

Baekhyun laughed. “You see, sometimes it’s good to crush his massive ego.”

Chanyeol took the bait. “You know what else is massive?” Then Baekhyun saw Chanyeol’s family except his mom blanched. “My heart for you, of course.”

Baekhyun almost burst out laughing right there and then. “You guys see what I put up with every day?”

Mrs. Park giggled, while the others looked genuinely mortified. Granted, they didn’t expect that Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s relationship was this easy. Had they met them a month ago, their ploy would be found out immediately. Minhyuk and his son were douchebags, but not idiots. That was why they could play dirty under Mrs. Park’s nose for so long and lasted in this big industry. But now, Chanyeol and him barely acted. This was just their usual banter and jokes between them.

“I know, right?” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun close. His posture more relaxed, but Baekhyun knew better. He was still on edge as long as his stepdad was still in sight. “How did I get so lucky?”

The atmosphere took the lighter note after that, and Baekhyun could finally breathe. Chanyeol’s stepdad family had to excuse himself, and his son and future daughter-in-law could only follow. They left not before giving the both of them a look. And Baekhyun had to force himself to hold his gaze, refusing to give in.

After kissing his mom good night on the cheek, Mrs. Park also left them. Baekhyun was never more grateful.

Chanyeol exhaled heavily. “Thank you. You saved this party being ruined by me.”

“Nah, I doubted you were gonna lose control. You’re better than that.”

“I almost lost it though. When she hugged you, I was just—“ Chanyeol heaved another sigh and his voice dropped. “If it was Minki or my father who were hugging you, I don’t even know what I’m gonna do.”

“You would still do nothing. I won’t let you lose control.”

Baekhyun waited until Chanyeol could at least set aside his initial anger and let his trembles subdue. This man right here, so strong and tough, was so afraid. Not because he was afraid of his family, but he was afraid his family would touch Baekhyun. He understood now just how much Chanyeol valued him, and he would never downplay Chanyeol’s care and action for him. His heart clenched.

So Baekhyun took the necessary decisions. He grabbed his fiance’s hand and brought them both into a more enclosed area, offering less exposure from people in the ballroom. It was small and indeed made it more cramped than Baekhyun would have preferred. But this would do, for now.

It didn’t take long for Chanyeol’s brain to catch up to what Baekhyun had been thinking all night long, days, weeks even. His eyes widened in surprise, but his expression quickly replaced by sudden uneasy grin. His arms sneaked around Baekhyun’s waist and pulled him closer.

“What is this, Byun Baekhyun?”

“Don’t get me wrong. I just want you to have space without annoyance from other people.”

“Space, huh?” Chanyeol put his head down on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “I couldn’t care less about everyone in the room when you’re so close to me like this.”

Baekhyun faked a mocking scoff. “You were about to snap a few minutes ago when Jinri hugged me.”

“Who’s Jinri again?”                     

With that Baekhyun could tell that his effort to make Chanyeol calm down had succeeded. And at that moment, he realized that this was terrifying, the hold he had over Chanyeol was terrifying. And Baekhyun had a feeling that Chanyeol knew this too.

It was terrifying and weirdly, Baekhyun was fine with it. Their relationship had changed so much and moved forward to what Baekhyun wanted to believe was the better. And he couldn’t even blame anyone but himself to want to find out just where this would be going.

“You know,” Baekhyun croaked out as his gaze landed on Chanyeol’s lips. “It’s been a month since the last time you kissed me.”

Chanyeol raised his head.

“Outside my office.” Baekhyun pressed closer, and it was embarrassing how he was beginning to feel out of breath. “Before my date night with Jongin.”

“Don’t mention other man’s name when you’re pressed against me like this.” Chanyeol’s voice turned an octave lower, his eyes locked on Baekhyun’s lips. “I was trying to be a gentleman. I wanted to gain your trust, remember?”

“You already have it.”

Chanyeol in a breath as he made a small, choked noise. “Goddamn you, Byun Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun immediately shivered as his lips were covered. Chanyeol tightened his hold on Baekhyun’s waist, pressing them even closer, while his other hand gripped the back of Baekhyun’s neck. Suddenly, the kiss that started warm turned into something hot and wild that Baekhyun thought he was gonna pass out from it. Chanyeol used his knee to nudge open Baekhyun’s legs and he positioned his body comfortably there.

Baekhyun felt his head spin. He felt the solid, broad chest against him, yet the touches were gentle and fierce at the same time. Baekhyun wanted more, closer, greedier, until a moan escaped him.

Sensing his need to take a breath, Chanyeol pulled back a little bit, but his lips never leaving Baekhyun’s for long. “Baekhyun,” he whispered. Feverish. Desperate. “Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun wanted to reply. To let Chanyeol know just how much he wanted this too, just how desperate he was to have Chanyeol too. He wanted Chanyeol so, so much.

When they finally broke apart for real, panting and foreheads touching, Baekhyun still couldn’t recover his voice. He didn’t even want to hide how this kiss had made him stumbling on his feet and his vision blurring.

“I…” Chanyeol spoke up first, still sort of breathless. He pulled away to look at Baekhyun more clearly. He was giving Baekhyun that look, like he was the best thing in the world. “Thank you, Baekhyun. For trusting me.”

The lull conversation in the room had finally comeback to register into Baekhyun’s ears, and the magic between them evaporated gradually, though Baekhyun was sure the remnants of heat in his body wouldn’t be gone even until he was home later.

Chanyeol gave him time to calm down with his smile wide plastered the whole time. When Baekhyun could at least breathe normally, Chanyeol gripped his hand. “Come on, there are many company CEO here. It’ll be ashamed if I didn’t get to introduce you to them.”

Baekhyun somehow got it. They had mutual understanding that at least their relationship now was no longer tied or trapped by the ghost of their past. And Chanyeol didn’t want to take it further too fast. Baekhyun was too precious for him and he didn’t want to take the wrong step. And Baekhyun would try to appreciate it.

So as Baekhyun let himself getting dragged by his fiancé from one CEO to another CEO in the room, he just smiled.

Not aware of the fact that Chanyeol’s stepdad and stepbrother were looking at them from the corner of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

After the party, it was only obvious that the news about the son of one of the biggest company in South Korea being engaged would be revealed to the media soon after.

Chanyeol welcomed the exposure, of course. After all, this was also one of their strategy so Baekhyun’s company could get more noise marketing.

So when the offer for exclusive interview for the two of them from a big media outlet came, Chanyeol accepted it. They were gonna hold the interview in Chanyeol’s office because Baekhyun insisted there was no way they did it in his small one. His fiancé was stubborn like that. He even declined Chanyeol’s offer to pick him up.

And now, all the crew and interviewer from that big media had come and prepared all of it, Baekhyun still hadn’t arrived. When Junmyeon came alone half an hour ago, saying that he and his boss took different cars, Chanyeol began to feel something was wrong.

“Have you tried his cell?” Chanyeol asked both Joohyun and Junmyeon, while his own hand was busy with his own phone. His heart started to pound.

Junmyeon was visibly panicked. “I have. Where could he possibly be? We left the office at the same time.”

“Maybe he stopped by to buy some foods for all the crews here?” Joohyun provided comfort, but by her tone, Chanyeol could tell that even she knew that her words were just mere empty speculation.

The media crews were starting to whisper among themselves, but Chanyeol didn’t care about them at all. He wanted to believe that this was just Baekhyun being stupid for not informing them that he needed to stop by somewhere, but his gut told otherwise.

They waited for another five minutes—that was how much Chanyeol could take—before Chanyeol got up from his seat to go look for his fiancé on his own.

But just when he was about to go out of his office, his phone rang. Chanyeol only took one glance on it before he answered the call. “Baekhyun?”

“Hey, Chanyeol.”

His voice sounded normal and Chanyeol was so relieved that his feet wobbled. “God, are you okay? Where are you?”

“Yeah, about that,” Baekhyun’s voice was quiet. “Sorry, I think I’m gonna be late.”

“Why are you late? Did you stop by somewhere?”

“No, I didn’t, but…” Chanyeol waited, because Baekhyun was taking his time to answer his question. “I just got into car crash. A car crashed into my car.”

 

 

 

 


A/N: Is it even my fic if Baekhyun not in danger?