C 003

The Point of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After five hours of simple tossing and Turning, Hana realized that she won’t get any wink of sleep that night. The reason why her body refused to follow it’s routine clock was obviously because of her recent findings and the scary outline of a person over the rooftop. It was downright scary, especially after the recent turn of events. As she struggled to arrange her chaotic thoughts, something flashed through her mind, something which was so important that she wanted to slap herself for not remembering it sooner. She almost missed an important connection.

Few nights ago, when she had been cornered by the muggers, there was brief moment when everyone including herself in the dingy street was looking out for someone, one of the muggers thought they saw. Where were they looking? at the rooftop. The conclusion was obvious. There is someone about, who prowls in the dark, moves over the rooftop and goes about killing people. Whoever they were would have done her in tonight, if not for her quick thinking about running away before presenting them the chance. And there is a good chance that the psychopath was someone Sehun and Jongin knew based on the conversation she overheard behind the library building.

Her brain kept reeling at her new findings and finally grew tired of thinking in circles and before long Hana fell asleep, though it was restless and not a least bit relaxing. It was not a surprise therefore, that she woke up much later than she usually would on a Sunday morning. As soon as she freshened up, she went down and had her breakfast. It was a fine day and she decided to go out and have a walk, because it would soon be winter and there would not be any warmth left. She plugged her earphones in and played a soft relaxing music on her phone and started walking towards the park near her house.

Just as expected, it was crowded with families, enjoying mini picnics. There were children about playing, laughing and shouting. It was such a nice day, that Hana momentarily forgot about her troubles. As she continued walking, she saw a familiar figure ahead of her. He was on the phone, in the middle of an important conversation. But Hana didn’t care. It’s been a while since she saw him and she was not going to let the opportunity slip away. She quickly ran forward and tapped the person’s back. A guy in his late twenties turned around and faced her with a puzzled look. As soon as he realized who it was, his soft features broke into a bright smile.

“Hana! Woah! How are you doing?” He asked, pocketing his phone and holding a hand out.

“Chan Woo Oppa!” Hana greeted his back, briefly grasping his hand in hers. Kang Chan Woo worked in the Seoul PD. Chan Woo’s dad was Hana’s granny’s neighbour and so she knew Chan Woo since she was a kid. He was a nice person, always up to help her if she ever needed it. Some times he gives her a ride when he goes over to his dad’s place during the weekends. Hana looked closely at Chan Woo and realized that he looked slightly haggard. Even though he looked fresh, he definitely gave off a tired vibe. His eyes were red as though he has been spending a lot of sleepless nights.

“Work stressing you out?” Hana offered as she fell in pace with him and both of them started walking together.

“You can say that.” He replied and yawned. “Damn, I’m tired.”

“How long has it been since you last slept?” Hana asked critically.

“It’s been a while, Hana.” Chan Woo said around yet another yawn. “We have a case now and it’s driving us all crazy.”

“What is it about?” She asked curiously.

“It’s nothing.” Chan Woo dismissed her enquiry. “Just a psychopath out and about. There has been a lot of disappearances lately and all of the victims turn up dead. We are having a lot of our force out in the open, keeping an eye on things, but the killer whoever he is, is always one step ahead of us. It’s driving us crazy. ”

“Any new leads?” Hana questioned.

“Nothing so far.” Chan Woo breathed heavily through his nose. “There is no specific killing pattern, no relation between the victims, and above all there is no motive at all. We don’t even have any suspects to begin with.”

“Okay…” Hana trailed off. She knew by then that he was talking about the same killings she had been researching the day before.

“Are you sure that the same person is killing all these people?”

“No. we are not sure of that either. And it’s getting out of hand.” Chan Woo said. They turned a corner and he suddenly stopped and faced her. “Hana, if I ask you not to go out in the dark, would you obey me?” he asked gripping her shoulders tightly. “The psycho is highly skilled to carry out these killings right under our nose within the city. He or she can target anyone and I don’t want anything happening to you, okay?” he continued when Hana didn’t say anything.

Just then Chan Woo’s phone started ringing and he reluctantly released his hold on her and picked up the call. He listened intently for a couple of seconds before pocketing the phone again.

“I have to go to the office again. Stay out of trouble and don’t forget my request okay?” He said urgently before starting to walk away. Deciding that she should let him know about her suspicions, she grabbed his wrist and pulled him back. She told him about the mysterious person on the rooftop she had seen last night.

“Did you see his face?” Chan Woo said, becoming serious.

“No, it was dark.”

“Are you sure it was a guy and not a girl?”

“I’m not sure about that either.” Hana mumbled.

“Okay, we will try to patrol your street tonight, don’t worry.” He assured. He clapped her shoulders before jogging away. “Stay safe.” He shouted before vanishing inside a car that happened to be waiting for him. Hana had almost let slip about her suspicions about Sehun, Jongin and that unknown guy, but stopped herself in the last moment. She didn’t want to cause unnecessary trouble because what she had were just suspicions. She had no proof what so ever. She shouldn’t jump to conclusions after just hearing snippets of conversation that didn’t make sense at all.

Feeling tired suddenly because of all the talking and thinking, Hana decided to get back home and work on her assignments. Half way back, she received a call . not bothering to check the ID, she picked up.

“Am I talking to Choi Hana?” A woman’s voice asked.

“Yes, you are.” Hana replied, wondering who it was and how they got hold of her number.

“I am calling from the Seoul NGO. We were just going through the list of people who had signed up for weekend volunteering and saw your name and contact details in it. We are working today at Sangcho beach and we really need more people out there to help us out. Are you free to join us?”

“Yes, I am.” Hana quickly replied. What she wanted was something to do that would keep her from thinking too much and this offer exactly fit her needs.

“Great. We will meet you at the beach in an hour’s time.” The woman said before hanging up.

Now that she had something to do that would keep her occupied, she started walking briskly towards her home to get changed so that she could catch the next bus to Sangcho beach. She decided to wear denim shorts and a faded purple tee and pulled her hair up into a messy bun. She took a short nap on the bus and woke up fresh and nice for the tiring activity ahead. She had no idea what they would ask her to do since the lady who talked to her over the phone didn’t brief her about it yet. As soon as she got off the bus, she saw a small tent set up at the sandy beach overlooking the beautiful sea, it’s roof flapping in the gentle sea breeze. Tugging a hat low over her head, Hana made her way to the tent. Inside was a small group of people who were already in deep discussion about what they were going to do. She recognized some of them, having worked with them on previous occasions. They smiled and nodded at her and she did the same.

Half an hour later, she found herself standing with two other people at the beach. Her task was simple: find out sea turtle nests and flag them and set up a small fence around them so that the visiting tourists won’t trample the eggs. It was the season the sea turtles laid more eggs and were badly in need of protection because of the horde of tourists who visited the place every day. Grabbing her readymade fence and a couple of red flags that read ‘Sea Turtle nests’ she made her way to the left, while the other two volunteers moved to the right. The work required a lot of concentration because identifying the nests was the tricky part. The sun beat down hard in the afternoon and the exposed parts of her body had become red by then. She had flagged almost three fourth of the nests and decided to take a brief break before finishing up the day’s work. She walked back to the tent where drinks  and snacks were placed on tables waiting to be eaten. Hana grabbed a sandwich and two bottles of drinks and went out and sat over looking the sea, enjoying her food. To her right, at the far edge of the beach, she saw a wooden pier jutting o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter