C 012

The Point of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A cold breeze blew over the farm and a buttery sun peeked from in between the clouds, giving the entire place a crisp green and brown hue. And Hana could only laugh.

 

On one side, Jongin and Chanyeol, wearing wife beaters and muddy trousers could be seen kneeling down on the muddy floor and pulling baby carrots out from the ground, their fingers covered in dirt that was squishy and damp. Sehun was standing beside them, a hand on his hips and a basket on his other hand. A look of impatience colored his face. He tsked at the extremely slow pace with which Jongin and Chanyeol were harvesting.

“At this rate, you will be finishing next winter.” Sehun muttered, barely masking his impatience.

“You try dipping your hands in the dirt then.” Chanyeol snapped. With extreme disgust on his face, he pulled out four carrots from the ground and dropped them gingerly on to the basket which Sehun was holding.

“I can’t believe that I’m doing this.” Jongin murmured, oblivious to the heated conversation the other two were having. His face was devoid of any emotion, making it difficult for others to understand whether he meant it in a good way or a bad way.

“It’s okay mate.” Chanyeol said in a soothing tone. “Just a couple more hours and we will be done.”

“What the hell are you even talking about?” Jongin retorted. “Dude, this is really fun!” He gave a really wide smile and even a blind person could have seen the excitement coursing through his facial muscles. “I have always wanted to do farming!! This is super cool!!”

“There is something seriously wrong with him.” Sehun shook his head in a defeated manner.

“I always told you people to have his head checked.” Chanyeol replied defiantly. “None of you even bothered to respond. Now you have the nerve to throw my own observation at me?!”

Sehun let out a sigh. “Where is Baekhyun by the way? He should be helping you here right?”

Sensing that Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen, Hana also started looking around. Just then she felt her skirt being tugged. She looked down in alarm and saw Baekhyun sitting at her feet, one of his hands curled around her skirt. How he actually managed to come to her side without even making a single sound was a mystery to Hana. He was close to tears and there were pink patches on his face due to the cold. Unlike the others, he was fully clothed from head to toe.

“Hana, please.” Baekhyun begged. “Please take me home. I can’t do this.”

“I’m sorry Baekhyun.” Hana said trying hard not to burst out laughing. “No one can overrule grandma’s orders. Besides, others are adjusting well. You can do too.”

A look of extreme hurt crossed Baekhyun’s face. “I always helped you when you were in trouble. I always supported you when others turned against you. Is this how you are repaying me?” A single tear ran down his face.

“Those are fake tears, Hana.” Chanyeol called out loudly right on cue. “Don’t fall for them.”

“I’m sorry Baekhyun. I can’t help you.” Hana said in a stern voice. “Unless you want to starve for lunch, you better get a move on.”

Grumbling to himself, Baekhyun got to his feet and took his jacket off and started walking towards the farming trio.

“How are you guys running around half in this weather?” He asked incredulously when a cold wind blew again, making the hair on his arms stand up. “I can’t work like this.” He closed his eyes and a look of extreme concentration crossed his face. What happened next made Hana’s jaw drop.

 

The sun that was previously shining weakly from in between the clouds, started shining more bright and right before Hana’s eyes, the clouds covering the sun disintegrated because of the light’s intensity. The entire farm was suddenly doused in bright light that reminded Hana of flood lights used in football grounds. Within minutes they all started sweating like crazy. She gulped as she finally realized just how powerful Baekhyun was. Just a little bit of effort from Baekhyun would be more than enough to blaze the sun beyond the tolerable level and eliminate all life forms from earth by turning it into a desert, or to snuff the sun out, there by destroying earth’s only source of energy and turning it into some sort of cold windy planet like Neptune, where the possibility of life sustenance would be less than zero. She realized a bit late that her hands were shaking and balled them into fists to hide it.

“Weather reporters are going to go crazy today unable to explain the heat wave in the middle of winter.” Chanyeol called out exasperatedly. “Tone it down a little bit, won’t you?”

“They will survive don’t worry” Baekhyun said airly. “Let’s start working!” He bellowed to no one in particular. He took a huge breath, knelt down and started picking carrots in a frenzy. Encouraged from Baekhyun’s sudden energy, others started working too.

Hana looked back towards the house and saw Kyungsoo’s head bobbing in and out of the kitchen window. She even saw her grandma pulling Kyungsoo by his ears and had to stop herself from laughing out loud.

Lunch was a very silent affair since every one was tired to the bones due to all the work they had to do in the morning. After a brief break all of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter