C 002

The Point of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana had no idea how long she just stood at her own doorstep in the dark. A dog barking on the street straight across brought her back to her senses and she quickly opened her door and went inside slightly shivering. Even if it’s not that late yet, the street was eerily silent and that made her edgy, especially after what happened that evening. She quickly took a warm shower and proceeded to fillup the kitchen cupboards with what was left of her purchases after the mugging and went straight to bed thinking that the eventful day has made her quite tired and sleepy.

But it was just the opposite. She just couldn’t sleep. Her senses were extra sensitive that night. Even a small rustle of a tree branch outside was enough for her to quiver under her duvet and she felt like she heard footsteps thudding outside her door multiple times, but there wasn’t any one there when she went out to check. But above all, what kept her from sleeping was the encounter with Jongin and Sehun. There were a lot of things that simply didn’t add up, now that she thought back to their sudden appearance in the middle of the street.

What were these rich boys doing in a lower middle class neighbour hood at that time of the night? Where was their ride? As far as Hana could remember, they never walked if they could help it. she has even seen them driving their car with in the campus so that they could get to the other buildings. That’s why she branded them as ‘spoiled brats’ in the first place. And how in the world did they appear out of nowhere like that? There are only two ways to enter the street and she would have caught sight of them if they had come those ways and Hana was more than one hundred per cent sure that that was not the case. It was like they suddenly appeared out of nowhere. There was something definitely weird about them. And finally their attitude. It was nothing like she had imagined, though to be entirely honest, Sehun more or less behaved exactly the way she expected both of them would- haughty and proud, but Jongin simply blew away her assumptions. He seemed extremely friendly, bright and cheerful. She slightly smiled when she recalled the way he smiled and winked at her and accompanied her back home and dropped her off right in front of her door step.

Now wait a minute….Her slow brain caught up with all the developments. What did Jongin say before he left? he said he would see her tomorrow at uni. A silent scream of terror escaped Hana’s lips as she clutched her already assaulted hair. This can’t be happening. She tried so hard to remain out of trouble the past two years. She is not going to throw that away by friend zoning those weirdos. No she can’t. I will just ignore them both….act like the encounter didn’t happen at all…Yeah, that’s the only possible solution. Hana convinced herself before slipping into a restless sleep.

Hana was already awake even before the sun had risen and she stood like a zombie in front of her mirror. Her face looked pale and unhealthy, with a mop of tangled hair framing it. Her eyes had dark circles under them, making her look extremely tired. She let out a sigh and dragged her toothbrush through and took a shower, using liberal amounts of her shampoo to bring some life back to her hair. She left her face as it was, not bothering to put makeup on. There was no one in uni that she wanted to impress and even if she turned up to her class, no one would look at her twice.

She made it to uni much earlier than usual that day and grabbed a sandwich from a local store on the way. she took her time walking around the campus, enjoying the silence as much as she could. Even though it was still early, there were people here and there goofing around or studying for a test. She passed the parking lot on the way and to her horror she saw a navy blue all so familiar car coming towards the lot from the opposite direction. It’s the Maserati. It’s their car. She quickly turned around and walked as quickly as she could in the opposite direction and didn’t stop or look back until she reached the hall for her first lecture of the day. Hana let out a shaky breath of relief as she quickly sat down in her seat in the corner of the room and forced her tired mind to concentrate as the lecturer appeared and started the class.

She was one of the first people to leave the class during the lunch hour. She grabbed her lunch and went to her usual place and ate it at a fast pace that she herself thought that she would choke to death. she was out of the cafeteria within minutes and was back in the lecture hall before everyone else for the afternoon’s class. She couldn’t help but feel bad for herself as she stood in the middle of the empty class room. Can’t even eat in peace.

By the time the last lecture of the day drew to a close, Hana was more or less back to normal. She didn’t see either Jongin or Sehun the entire day and they didn’t bother coming for her too. May be what Jongin said last night was just courtesy and nothing else. Hana was packing her bag and was about to leave when her professor called her back.

“Ms.Choi.” Mrs. Cha in her early fifties called. “I’m sorry to keep you from going back home early, but can you please return these books back to the library? I have to be somewhere else right now or else I would have taken them myself.”

‘No problem’. Hana smiled and took the stack of books from the professor before making her way out of the class towards the library. The library was one of the places Hana liked a lot about the whole campus. It was in one of the secluded corners and only extremely studious people visited it meaning that the place was always silent and almost always empty except during the semester end exams. Hana made her way in and saw the librarian for the night duty checking himself in. She quickly placed the books on the table and collected the return receipts from him before going out.  

Hana was walking away when she heard low voices floating her way from behind the library building. it was an uninhibited expanse full of trees and so she found it odd to hear voices from the same area. Against her better judgement, she found herself walking towards the source of the sounds. They were coming from between the trees and she walked further in, since the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter