Forgiveness

End Game

Seulgi's POV

 

The weekend was over and Seulgi was back at school. Seulgi had been running through her mind what to say to Wendy, but when the lunch bell rang, the smaller girl was out the door before Seulgi had finished packing her backpack. Seulgi felt discouraged and made her way to the cafeteria. As she entered the room, she saw Sooyoung, Yeri and Irene sitting at their usual table. Seulgi hesitated and considered sitting at another table, but then she heard Sooyoung.

 

"Yah unnie, get over here!"

 

She awkwardly walked over and sat down as she made eye contact with Irene. The older girl's eyes were blank and Seulgi couldn't read her mind. Is she okay? At least she didn't get up and leave. Seulgi sighed as she took out her lunch and ate awkwardly before Yeri broke the silence, "So the talent show is coming up. We should all go together to cheer for Wendy unnie."

 

Seulgi glanced at Irene and noticed the discomfort and quickly chimed in, "We don't have to. It's not a big deal."

 

Sooyoung stared at her, "What do you mean not a big deal? It's Wendy unnie. We have to support her."

 

Before Seulgi could voice her rejection again, Irene spoke up, "It's okay Seulgi. I think we should go support her as members of the music club." 

 

Irene looked down as she played with her food and Seulgi didn't know how to reply. Luckily Yeri spoke up, "Great! I'm sure she'll be really excited to see us. Let's save our voices for cheering."

 

The group finished their lunch and went about their regular schedules. When the day ended, Seulgi couldn't decide if she was dreading the talent show or looking forward to it. 

 

 

Wendy’s POV

 

It was the day of the talent show and Wendy was extremely nervous. She wished Seulgi was there to calm her nerves, but the two hadn't spoken in weeks. Wendy thought skipping lunch every day would help, but the more time she spent apart from Seulgi, the more her heart ached for the taller girl. She missed when the two worked on songs together. She had been working on a new one for the talent show and wasn’t sure how well the audience would receive it. She walked around nervously until she heard her name being called. She walked up to the stage and sat down in the chair. It took a minute for Wendy’s eyes to adjust to the bright lights. She scanned the audience and her eyes fell on the only person she was looking for. She then picked up the microphone.

 

“Hi Everyone. I am Wendy and today I am going to sing a song for you that I wrote. It’s called “Because I love you.” I wrote it for a close friend. I hope you all like it.

 

The audience clapped as the lights dimmed.

 

 

Seulgi’s POV

 

Seulgi watched as Wendy sang her heart out. She listened to the lyrics and couldn’t help the tears that threatened to fall. 

 

“I may regret leaving you, but it’s because I love you. I can’t forget that I love only you, but I need to erase you and my sadness.”

 

As Wendy sang the last few words, she looked up into the audience and the two made eye contact.

 

 

Seulgi watched as the MC got up onto the stage to announce the winner of the show. Seulgi held her breath as Sooyoung grabbed her hand. There were a lot of great performances, but she hoped that Wendy would win.

 

“We have had an amazing group of individuals perform today and I wish I could give everyone the prize, but unfortunately we have to choose a winner. Drum roll please….the winner is….Taeyeon!"

 

Seulgi's heart clenched as she watched Wendy's face fall, but the smaller girl clapped anyways.

 

Sooyoung yelled, "WHAT!? This is rigged. Wendy unnie's song was original."

 

Sooyoung huffed as the MC spoke up. “Everyone, let’s give it up for Taeyeon!” Everyone clapped and began to exit the auditorium.

 

Sooyoung and Yeri ran out to meet Wendy, but Seulgi was stuck in her seat. Irene was about to get up when she noticed that Seulgi didn’t move, so she sat back down.

 

“She wrote that song for you.”

 

Seulgi simply nodded

 

“She loves you.”

 

Seulgi turned her head, “Love?”

 

Irene sighed before continuing, “The truth is, I confronted her about you a few weeks back. It’s the reason she stopped texting you. I was selfish. I thought that if Wendy left, you would come back to me. I knew she felt the same way about you. I was wrong, sorry.”

 

So that's why she was avoiding me. Seulgi was about to speak when she noticed the pained look on Irene's face. Seulgi's face softened. The girl had just been trying to save their relationship. Seulgi bit her lip, “I should be the one who’s sorry Irene.”

 

Irene looked up surprised.

 

“At first she was just someone I enjoyed hanging out with. We had a lot in common and I felt comfortable with her. I didn't realize that in the process I started developing feelings for her and I began neglecting you. I didn't even realize I liked her until you brought it up. I can't even imagine how you felt. You must have been so hurt by my actions. Irene, you deserve so much more than that. I'm sorry."

 

A small smile formed on the older girl's face, “It's okay. You were there for me when I needed you and that's all I could ask for. Now someone else needs you. You should get going, I’m sure she’s waiting for you.”

 

Seulgi nodded before getting up to leave, but not before turning back and thanking Irene, “You know I'll always love you right? You'll always have a special place in my heart.”

 

Irene gave her a knowing look as Seulgi walked away.

 

 ***Author's note: Ya guys know Wendy's OST from SM Rookies?