Before Sunrise

End Game

Seulgi’s POV

 

It was Friday night, and Seulgi was busy scribbling equations onto her scrap paper. She had been trying to solve the same math problem for the past half hour and was no where closer to getting the right answer.

 

“ARGHHHH, C’mon Seulgi. Your test is next Wednedsay. Get it together!”

 

Another fifteen minutes passed before she decided to call it quits. She picked up her phone and scrolled through her texts. Seulgi wanted to call Irene to come hang out, but the older girl had to go visit her grandma in Daegu. She then debated on whether or not to call Sooyoung and Yeri, but decided against it. The last time the two came over, they ate all her pringles and left a mess.

 

“I guess I don’t have a choice…time to go get ice cream alone.”

 

 

Seulgi walked out of the ice cream shop happily with her cone. She was about to take a when someone bumped into her. Everything was in slow motion as Seulgi watched her cone fall to the ground.

 

“My ice cream…” The girl bent down to pick up what was left of her dessert

 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I’ll buy you another one!”

Seulgi recognized that voice. She looked up to see a blonde girl pouting and her face softened, “It’s okay.”

 

Wendy’s eyes widened, “Seulgi-yah! I didn’t expect to bump into you here.”

 

“Yeah, you literally did that.”

 

Wendy scratched her nape, “Sorry about that, but really, let me buy you another one as a peace offering.”

 

Seulgi was about to say no, but the Canadian grabbed her hand and the two walked back into the ice cream shop. After getting their order, the two sat down at a table to chat.

 

“So why were you getting ice cream alone? Where’s Irene?”

 

“I was studying for our math test next week and couldn’t figure out the answer to one of the questions and gave up. Irene is visiting family and I didn’t want to be at home, so here I am. What about you?”

 

“I was just exploring around. I was born in Korea before going to study in the states, but I don’t really remember the area too well.”

 

“You were exploring alone? You should’ve called me! I could have taken you around.”

 

“Oh, I don’t have your phone number.”

 

“Shoot! I can’t believe I didn’t give it to you. What kind of tour guide am I? Well if you want, I have some time. Do you want to go walk around?”

 

The blonde smiled and nodded.

 

The two walked around for hours as Seulgi pointed out her favorite restaurants to eat at. She thought it would have been awkward, but it felt like she had known Wendy for years. She learned a lot about the other girl. She learned that Wendy won the Obama award back in the States and that they were only eleven days apart. Seulgi joked that Wendy should call her unnie and Wendy pushed her. The two laughed and before they knew it, it was time to go home.

 

“Here’s my phone number. Call me whenever you want to hang out!”

 

“Thanks Seulgi.”

 

The blonde turned to walk away, but quickly turned around. “Almost forgot. You said you were having trouble in math right? I could help you if you want. I finished all the homework already. We can study for the test together.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes lit up, “Really?? I’d love that. I could use all the help I could get.”

 

“Great, do you want to come over tomorrow at 9. I’ll text you my address”

 

“Yeah! I’ll see you then. Thanks Wendy!”

 

Seulgi was getting for bed when she heard her phone beep. It was a text from Wendy.

 

Thanks for showing me around today.

Here’s my address XXX.

Don’t be late!

Night Seulgi(:

 

Seulgi smiled at the text, replied goodnight and quickly drifted to sleep.

 

 

Seulgi arrived at Wendy’s house at 8:58. She rang the doorbell and waited. She heard steps before the door opened

 

“Seulgi! Right on time, come in!”

 

Seulgi smiled as she stepped into the house. She noticed how bare the walls were and how there were only a few pictures laying around the counters.

 

“Where are your parents?”

 

Wendy frowned, “Oh, they’re still in Canada with my sister. They kind of just sent me back to study.”

 

Seulgi was surprised, “You’ve been living alone?? Isn’t it scary and lonely.”

 

Wendy laughed, “The neighborhood is really safe. My parents know the neighbors and I can go to them if I ever need help with something, but yeah, sometimes it’s a little lonely. Anyways, let’s get started?”

 

 

“So you take the differential of this and voila, that’s the answer.”

 

“Wow. I can’t believe I actually did it. That was so easy. Let’s do another question! Oh my god…I never thought I would want to do more math problems.” Seulgi looked horrified

 

Wendy cracked up, “Sure, ready to ace that test Wednesday?”

 

“You know it!”

 

The two spent a few more hours doing practice questions before deciding that it was time to take a break. They ordered pizza and were deciding which movie to watch. Seulgi couldn’t believe that Wendy had never seen Before Sunrise and insisted that they watch it.

 

Halfway through the movie her phone rang. Seulgi apologized and stepped away to answer it.

 

“Hey sweetie. How’s your weekend going?”

 

Seulgi smiled, “Really well. I’m at Wendy’s right now. She was helping me study for my math test on Wednesday and we’re currently taking a study break watching Before Sunrise. I can’t believe she speaks English and she’s never seen the movie before.”

 

There was a brief pause before Irene replied, “Oh really? Glad you’re having fun. I’ll be home later tonight. Do you want to grab dinner?”

 

“Yeah definitely, I’ll meet you at our usual spot?”

 

The two agreed to meet at 7 p.m. and hung up.

 

As Seulgi returned, Wendy asked who was on the phone and she told her how Irene was returning later tonight.

 

“Oh…” was all that came out of Wendy’s mouth. She quickly pressed play and the two finished watching the movie in silence. Seulgi was so absorbed by the movie that she didn’t notice how Wendy’s face had fallen.