Beginnings

Markjin One-Shots

 

    Jinyoung sits in the back of the class in his usual stop when it happens

 

    It's the beginning of the day. Everyone is still tired from morning drowsiness, except Jinyoung. 

 

    Jinyoung is one of those nerdy kids that look forward to school. He loved to learn new things, so he didn't understand why other kids dreaded it. 

 

    Jinyoung was also a big introvert. He was not popular and he only has two friends. If you asked someone who Park Jinyoung was, they would either answer 'the principal?' or ''I've never heard of a Park Jinyoung before''

 

    If people do acknowledge him it would most likely be 'the guy who always sits in the back of the class that always makes good grades' 

 

    Now Jinyoung is not bothered by this. He rather be in the background. He never likes to be the center of attention. He's always afraid he will panic or embarrass himself. 

 

    So, as he sits in the back of the classroom with his thoughts, he doesn't notice that it got suddenly quite. 

 

    "Class, we have a new student. I hope you all treat him well," the teacher said to the huge classroom filled with teenagers. 

 

    That's when Jinyoung finally understood why the class had gotten deadly silent. (Now it's filled with gossiping whispers)

 

    There was a new student in the front if the class. He had dirty blonde hair and a very very handsome face. Every girl was starstruck or whispering to their friend about how good-looking he was. 

 

    "You can introduce yourself now," the teacher told him. He nodded. 

 

    "My name is Mark Tuan, I came from the states, and I hope you treat me well." He said in accented Korean. 

 

    He had all of the girls swooning at this point. Jinyoung couldn't blame them, the guy was strikingly beautiful. 

 

----------

 

    Yugyeom and Youngjae both waited for Jinyoung, before heading to the cafeteria, talking about a random song they both had listened to on the radio. 

 

    Jinyoung finally joined them and they walked together to get their food. 

 

    "Have you seen the new guy?" Yugyeom asked out of nowhere. 

 

    "Yeah, he has his own fan club now. It's like every girl dumped their current boyfriend to get a chance with him," Youngjae replied. 

 

    Yugyeom nodded, "He also started hanging out with Jaebum, Jackson, and Bambam."

 

    "Have you seen him, Jinyoung?" Youngjae asked. 

 

    Jinyoung just nodded his head. 

 

----------

 

    Jinyoung was standing at his locker when there was screaming. 

 

    Jaebum, Jackson, Bambam, and Mark were all walking down the hallway while absorbing all of the attention. 

 

    This happened everyday. Everyone would make a runway for the boys and take pictures. Unlucky girls, and some boys, try to confess their undying love to them, but in return they just get ignored. 

 

    In Jinyoung's opinion, the new one, Mark fit perfectly in that group. He took the position of basketball captain quite easily, he had amazingly good looks, and he was a playboy. 

 

    In the few weeks he has been here, he had already dated 12 girls and 2 boys. Every person knows this, but they are still in love with him. 

 

    Right now, he's dating Suzy one of the most popular girls in the whole school. 

 

    Everyone is jealous of Suzy, she's beautiful, she'ssmart, she could sing, she was popular, and now she had the most good looking guy in the whole school as her boyfriend. 

 

    But Jinyoung just ignored everyone like he usually does and walks to his class. 

 

----------

 

    It happened in the middle of class. Jinyoung had asked to go to the bathroom and Mark asked as well right after Jinyoung left. 

 

    Some people would say it was a coincidence, but people who were close to Mark knew what his motivation was. 

 

    Mark had actually been asking for Jinyoung's name, but nobody knew who he was. So, as Mark was curious, he followed the mystery guy to the bathroom. 

 

    Jinyoung was washing his hands when he felt a presence behind him. 

 

    "I've never seen you around before, what's your name?" It was a total lie, but how else would he approach the guy. 'hey I've been watching you for a few days and I want to know your name now' 

 

    "Why," Jinyoung replied quietly. Mark reached up and touched the back of his neck which gave Jinyoung the shivers. 

 

    "Because I want to get to know you." Mark said smoothly. His finger drew shapes on his neck, and Mark's front was almost touching Jinyoung's back. 

 

    "No you don't. No one does, so please leave me alone," Jinyoung was at lost where he got the confidence from, but it worked. Mark stopped touching his neck and took a step back. 

 

    "I do," Mark muttered. "At least give me your name."

 

    Jinyoung didn't know why he did it, maybe because he felt bad for rejecting Mark so easily but "Jinyoung, Park Jinyoung," he said and walked out of the bathroom. 

 

----------

 

    Mark never talked to Jinyoung again since then. He just watched from a distance. He watched how Jinyoung would smile or laugh with his friends.  He watched how the adorable whiskers on the side of his eyes formed when he smiled. He watched how Jinyoung worked with a cute concentrated face. He also watched how Jinyoung barely talked throughout the day. How he always tried to get out if the classroom either first or last. He watched him panic when he was center of attention. But all of these things just made Mark's feelings for Jinyoung increase. 

 

    Now Mark does have a girlfriend right now. Her name is Sana and they got together just a few days ago. He could tell she was enjoying the attention that dating him gave her. But he could also tell she never really liked him. Every girl or boy just liked the though of him. 

 

    None of them asked him 'how was your day'  or 'have you eaten yet'. None actually tried to get to know him. He has never had a serious relationship because of this. 

 

    Mark knows everyone thinks he's a playboy, but he's just looking for the right one. None that he has dated treated him like an actual person. 

 

    So when Mark saw Jinyoung, he knew he might have a chance of a real relationship. Jinyoung just looked real and down to earth. He didn't care about popularity and that is what Mark is looking for. 

 

    Mark doesn't want to pressure Jinyoung into dating him, but he has never wanted someone more than him. 

 

----------

 

    Jinyoung knows Mark is watching him. He's caught him staring plenty of times. But why him? 

 

    He wasn't popular. He wasn't handsome. He wasn't funny. He wasn't sporty. The only thing he could offer was being smart. So, why did Mark stare so much?

 

    A few weeks of Mark staring, he finally approached Jinyoung for the second time. 

 

    This time it made Jinyoung nervous. He knows Mark's intentions, he's not stupid, but he didn't know the truth behind them. 

 

    "Jinyoung..." Maek said quietly. "Will you come with me for a second?" Everyone was now staring at them. It bothered Jinyoung so he nodded to get out of this situation. 

 

     They walked to an empty classroom and Mark closed the door behind them. 

 

    "I know you don't really like me..." Mark started. 

 

    'I never said that' Jinyoung wanted to say. 

 

    "But I promise my intentions are not bad." Mark said. "I know you think I am a playboy, everyone does, but I promise I don't mean it that way." 

 

    Jinyoung just stood there waiting for Mark's next words. He was confused but his curiosity won over it for now. 

 

    "All I want is a chance...." Mark continued. Jinyoung raised his eyebrows. "A chance to prove myself." 

 

    "I really like you," Mark blurted. 

 

    "How? You don't even know me," Jinyoung finally said. 

 

    "From what I do know, I really like you," he said. "I want a chance to get to know you, to like you even more than I do. If you will give me that chance." It was silent for a while. Jinyoung didn't know how to respond to that. 

 

    "I know you might think I say this to all of my dates, but I don't. I have never liked someone as much as you. Everyone in my past didn't even like me, they only liked the popularity that came with it. They liked the image of me." He said. "They never knew the real me. The real me that's willing to open up to you only."

 

    Jinyoung was shocked. He has never been put in this position. "I don't know."

 

    "Just give us a chance to know each other. Please. Let's just start talking and getting familiar with each other. I know barely anything about you and same for you."

 

    "Ok." Jinyoung answered in a quiet voice. Mark smiled and thanked him. 

 

    "How about we go to the cafe after school today?" Mark asked hopefully. 

 

    Jinyoung nodded. "On one condition, we have to keep this a secret. I can't have all of that attention on me." 

 

    Mark smiled again,"I know, and that is what I like about you. 

 

----------

 

    Jinyoung waited in the front if the school for Mark. He was starting to think Mark just played a joke on him and isn't coming. 

 

    Right when he was about to leave, Mark came sprinting up to him. 

 

    "I'm so sorry I..." Jinyoung cut him off fast. "You said we wouldn't put any attention on us, so let's go before people see us. Then you can explain." 

 

    Mark nodded and started heading to his car. He opened the door for Jinyoung and then got into his own seat. 

 

    "Any music?" Mark asked. 

 

    "Anything is fine."

 

     Mark happened to turn on one of Jinyoung's favorite songs. He smiled and bobbed his head along. 

 

     Mark saw this and actually felt like this was going well. 

 

----------

 

    Once they found a seat, they started talking about themselves. Mark more willing though. 

 

    Jinyoung learned Mark came to Korea because his parents got divorced and he came with his dad. He learned Mark's favorite color was red, his favorite animal was a dog, and he had one named Coco. He learned that he didn't even really like basketball, but he wasn't allowed to quite. He also learned much personal things and his insecurities. Learning all of this made Jinyoung feel special and that he mattered in someone else's life. 

 

    Mark learned Jinyoung has lived in Korea his whole life, and he was born in Busan. He learned that Jinyoung's favorite color was blue, that he loved to read, that he never had a boyfriend before, and that he had an older sister that hated him. He also learned that his family didn't really support Jinyoung's uality, so he moved to Seoul to get away from them.

 

    Secrets were shared and so were interests. They both started to get closer. Jinyoung now knew Mark was not playing a joke and actually wanted to sincerely get to know him. 

 

Maybe meeting Mark won't turn out as bad as he though.