Chapter 7

The Princess and The Ghost

Yongguk slid open the door and let Sohyun to enter the room first. She slowly stepped into the dim lighted room. Beeping from the machines surround the quite area. She approached the bed. And there he was. Daehyun with tubes webbed around him. His mouth was covered by oxygen mask. His skin was paler than ever.

Sohyun turned to her side. Daehyun the ghost was standing there, staring at his paralysed physical. Tears slid down his cheek despite his static stares on himself. “Is that really me?” His fell crushed inside, seeing himself that could die anytime. He remembered how perfect he looked just a few days ago but now, there he was.

“He have too little possibility to recover” Jongup voiced. “Doctor said we can only hope for the best”

Sohyun couldn’t kept her head up anymore as she started to sob.

“Man, I look awful” Daehyun chuckled. “I’m sorry that you had to see me in this harsh condition”

“We have to catch the culprit” she chocked. She swallowed the lump. “I’m sure to help you catch the person”

                Daehyun glanced at her with a smile. “Thanks, Sohyun”

“Thank you, Sohyun-ssi” Himchan gave her a small smile.

“I hope I can I recall that person’s face. If only I remember the face-“ Daehyun couldn’t continue his words. He couldn’t lift his head anymore as he sobbed harder. She looked at him. Melancholy hit her.

                She took Youngjae’s arm who stood beside Daehyun and slung it to Daehyun’s shoulder.

“What are you doing?” Youngjae’s eyes widened at her sudden action. All of them was watching Youngjae with his arm hung freely in the empty space. “Stay there” Sohyun commanded. “Daehyun is here. He need someone to comfort him”

“He’s here?!” Himchan asked. In fact, all of them were shocked. “Really? Beside me?” Youngjae asked again. She nodded. “How’s he?” he asked.

                Sohyun looked at Daehyun. He shook his head without a word.

“Not good. He’s crying so hard” she answered, ignoring Daehyun who told her not to tell his friends about his condition.  “Daehyun-ah” Youngjae called and ‘caressed’ his back. “Stay strong. I know you’ll be alright” “We believe you’ll be alright, hyung” Jongup said. The others stayed silent as they stared at the empty space beside Sohyun. She watched as Daehyun continued to sob. *It’s the first time I see someone so devastated like this*

 

 

 

 

                Sohyun closed the door behind her. She leaned against the cold wall of the hallway alone. He remembered seeing Daehyun sat beside his body, staring at it in complete sadness before she exited the room.

“Poor Daehyun. I wish I can help him” she sighed. “But how? We have too little clue to start with”

 

“Hey”

                She looked up to see Youngjae. He approached her. He leaned against the wall beside her. “I’m sorry for earlier. I just” he sighed. “I thought you was just trying to play with us”

“It’s okay. I understand. I would think the same if I were in your situation”

“But just now, when you said Daehyun is there crying his eyes out, I knew we have to believe you. I hope our presence beside him in this situation can help soothe him” “He always believes in all of you. At first, Daehyun didn’t want to come and see his body. Maybe he knew he’ll be totally sad once he sees his condition after the accident. But he said all of you gave courage to him”

                Youngjae smiled. “I’m glad he felt like that. Well, none of us expect things will turn out this way. On that morning, Daehyun said he was just going to cycle for a while and grab some milk for home. But little that we know, he never managed to bring the milk home” he heaved a sigh. “If only I can turn back time…”

“Things will turn out better before we knew it. We should just hope for the best for Daehyun”

 

                Door closed could be heard. They turned to the source of sound. Junhong came and joined them.

“Sohyun sunbae” he called. “Hey” she gave him a small smile.

“I want to ask you something” “Yea go on” “You can see Daehyun hyung, right? When we were at the school garden, is he there too back then?” “Yea” “Awhh” he pouted. “He must be sad that I can’t see him”

“Of course he was. But of course at that time, I couldn’t tell you about it since you were really frustrated at that time. I’m scared that you might think I’m crazy if I tell you about it back then” 

“But I’m curious. Why are you the only person who can see Daehyun hyung? I mean you two do not know each other. How can both of you meet? Did he come to you?” “I have no idea as to why we met. But he came to me first” she told them what had happened on the morning they met. Both Youngjae and Junhong laughed as Sohyun told them how Daehyun played with Doojoon’s face.

“That hyung. How can he joke around in that situation?” Junhong voiced between his laugh. She smiled at them being happy although just for a few seconds.

“So here he is haunting me every single second” she said. “I’m sure you’ll be tired of him being around” “Of course I will”

“Yah, Choi Junhong” Daehyun poked his head out from the door. “You dare bad mouth me”

“Junhong” Sohyun called. “Daehyun is mad at you talking bad about him”

“He heard me?” his eyes widened. “Omo”

                Daehyun chuckled.

“Hey, Sohyun. Don’t forget about your check-up result”

“Ah, that’s right” Sohyun pushed herself off the wall. “I think I need to go now. I need to take my result”

“Result?” Youngjae asked. “Yea. I’m here for to check my shoulder” she answered.

“Why? Is it because of the incident at the gym you can’t draw your bow like always?” Junhong asked. “Bow?” Youngjae turned to Junhong. “Yup. She represents our country in archery” “Woah!” Youngjae turned to Sohyun. “I never knew you’re a national athlete. Daebak!”

                Sohyun smiled coyly. Daehyun glared at her from afar. “Tsk. Show off!”

“I just came to check on it. I’m not sure if the incident at the gym caused my shoulder to be so painful” she replied. “I hope it’s nothing serious. I have a big game in just a few months”

                After bid goodbye and thanked everyone for letting her to see Daehyun, Sohyun walked out the room and through the hallway. A set of footsteps could be heard behind her. Daehyun and Sohyun turned.

“Sohyun-ssi” Yongguk called. “Follow me. I know a way to avoid the reporters”

 

               

                Yongguk opened a door at the end of the quiet hallway that reveal a flight of stairs. “We always use this way. Though it quite far and scary” he smirked.

“I don’t mind about the second one. Since I see something scary everyday” Sohyun glanced at Daehyun. “You’re not talking about me, do you?” Daehyun narrowed his eyes to her. “Of course not” she rolled her eyes without him noticing.

“Excuse me?” Yongguk glanced to Sohyun. “No I’m talking to Daehyun” she replied. “Ah I see. Well, actually I want to talk about something” “What is it?” “About the CCTV footage of Daehyun’s accident. You know that from the footage, police couldn’t identify the driver’s identity easily. I’m just scared that we couldn’t catch the culprit” “Daehyun couldn’t remember the driver’s face too”

                Both of them sighed. “If we fail to catch the culprit, I can’t forgive myself” he voiced. “Yongguk-ssi” she called. “I’ll help if I can”

“I’ll try to remember the driver face. I promise” Daehyun voiced. “Daehyun said he’ll try to remember the face too” she told Yongguk. “And I’ll make sure to help him do so”

                Yongguk mustered a smile. Though he never said he was tired, exhaustion can be seen clearly on his face.

“I’ll let all of you know first if we figured out the face” she reassured. Daehyun nodded. “Thank you so much” Yongguk replied.

“Don’t be discourage. There is always hope” Sohyun advised.