Chapter 4

The Princess and The Ghost

Sohyun continued to walk backward towards the door. Her back met the door. Although she felt the vibration of the door as Doojoon tried to open it, she was unable to respond to it as her attention was at the see-through figure that approached her on four. Blood drop trailed down its path. The ‘thing’ reached out its hand to her. With that, Sohyun screamed again.

“Yah, Sohyun!” Doojoon called again. “What’s wrong?” Mrs. Yoon asked as she just got to the second floor. “Sohyun! You okay?”

 

 

“Nae” Sohyun’s voice was trembling. “Yah, open up” Doojoon once again turn the knob. “No, oppa. I’m okay. It’s just…” “Cockroach?” “Yes”

Both Doojoon and his mother sighed in relieve. “Let me kill it for you” he voiced. “No it disappeared already” Sohyun replied. “Sorry for scaring everyone”

“It’s okay. Come down when you’re ready” Mrs. Yoon voiced. “Nae” Sohyun replied weakly.

                Mrs. Yoon walked down the stairs but not Doojoon. He stayed in front of the door for a few moments. Doojoon turned to her room once again before descended the stairs.

                Sohyun slowly removed her hand away from her face. She looked around but saw nothing unusual. *Did I just saw a ghost in this bright daylight?*

                She took each step further from the door slowly with her eyes went around looking for the ghost. And she saw it. She froze in front of the dresser. She could felt the chillness behind her. The same see-through figure with pale skin was standing behind her. Sohyun gulped and bit her lips, not to let any scream escape again. Sohyun mustered every ounce of bravery left to turn around. She was standing face to face with the figure.

“Hey, you have my shoe!”

“What?!” her eyes widened. The figure already pointed to the shoe that was thrown in the bin. She looked at the bin and the ghost one after another. “You’re Jung Daehyun?!”

“You can see me?” the figure was clearly surprised. “Yah, I screamed two times because of you” “But how can? I thought if I hide here, you wouldn’t see me” “You call that hiding? Try harder, bro”

“Wait” the figure saw the mirror in front of them. He approached it. But one thing he failed to see. His own reflection. Only Sohyun’s reflection can be seen in the mirror. He looked down to his hands. He saw his pale skin with clothes torn and covered in bleeding cuts. “What happen? Am I dead?” he touched his face and couldn’t feel the warm of human face supposed to be. He was about to shout.

“Yah” Sohyun tried to closed his mouth only to find her hand penetrated his see-through figure. The ghost was speechless and froze. “So it’s true I’m dead?”

“Hey, Daehyun-ssi” Sohyun tried to calm him down but the ghost already fell on his knees, sobbing.

“There is no way you’re dead. I can see you right now” she voiced. “And I read the news. You’re only in coma”

“Really?” he looked up with a wide smile. “Aish!” she looked away. “Sorry your eyes still scare me” she went to get her phone. She surfed the news and showed it to him. The ghost sighed in relieve. “At least I’m still alive. But what am I? Am I a lost soul? And what am I doing here?”

“I’m the one who supposed to ask you that question” Sohyun replied. “This is my room”

“Are you a fan?” “Excuse me?” “But I don’t see any of our group photo in your room” he looked around. “I mean that’s the only explanation that you know my name”

“I’m not a big fan. But I listen to one of your song” “Oh I’m grateful. Thank you” “Nae”

“And you are?” “I’m-“ “Wait I think I’ve seen you somewhere” he tried hard to remember. A few moments later, “Nah I don’t know. Who are you?”

“I’m an archer. National archer. Yoon Sohyun imnida” “Ah yea I’ve seen you play” “Really?” “In the TV of course” “Ah I see” she snickered.

                Daehyun looked around and saw her school uniform hung in front of her closet. “You went to that school too?”

                She followed his gaze. “Too? What do you mean?” “Our maknae went there” “Oh, I heard about it. But I don’t recognise your member. Sorry I’m not that kind to want to know everyone” she smirked. “It seems that we should work harder in the future” Daehyun chuckled. “If I ever come back alive”

“Talk about that, why am I seeing you?” “Yea maybe everyone can see me” “Let’s test it” “Yea but first” Sohyun glanced at her uniform. “I have to attend class. So do you mind to get out from my room while I get ready?”

“Oh, sorry” he moved to the door. He held out his hand to grab the door knob but his hand went through. The two met eyes.

“Here let me help you” Sohyun approached him. “Wait” Daehyun voiced, still looking at the door. “If I can do that, maybe I can do this” he tried to walk towards the door. And he did.

                Sohyun gasped. Daehyun poked his head into the door with a wide smile. “This is amazing! I can walk through door!”

“Why do you look so happy being a ghost?” she snickered. “Well, I’ll see you in a bit”

*                             *                             *

                Sohyun got ready and rushed downstairs to the kitchen where her brother and mother was having breakfast. They looked up from eating to meet her eyes. But Sohyun couldn’t meet their eyes. Daehyun who was seating on the kitchen counter in front of them caught her attention. She gasped but bit her lips.

“Morning, dear. Come eat” Mrs. Yoon said. “Yah, hurry up” Doojoon glanced at her.

“Woah! Sohyun, look this” Daehyun waved his hand in front of Doojoon’s face but Doojoon didn’t react. “He can’t see me. Who’s this guy actually?”

“Oppa” Sohyun tried to not answer Daehyun. She took a seat but her eyes kept on glancing at Daehyun who was still playing with Doojoon’s face.

                Mrs. Yoon noticed her weird behaviour. “You okay, dear?” The question snapped her back to the real situation. “Nae, omma” Sohyun replied and tried to eat her breakfast.

                Doojoon put down his chopstick. He rubbed his arms. “Why is it suddenly feel cold today?” Sohyun met eyes with Daehyun. He smirked. “Daebak! Can he feel me?”

“Shhh” Sohyun replied to him. Both Mrs. Yoon and Doojoon turned to Sohyun in disbelieve. And she realised both of them were bewildered at her reply. “No, oppa. Sorry” she panicked. “I’m not telling you be quiet. I just-” her pupil went around the room, trying to look for a clever reason. “You said it’s cold right? So I thought to blow warm breath to you”

“Oh I see” Mrs. Yoon smiled as the misunderstanding cleared. “Nah just keep you breathe to yourself” Doojoon waved his hand in front of his face with a sneaky smile. “It smells”

“Oppa” she blew raspberry.

*                             *                             *

                Sohyun walked up to her room to take her bag. Daehyun came through the door. “I should get use to this walking through solid thing”

“Why am I the only who see you?” she turned to him. “It’s unfair! Other people should see you too”

“Why should they?” “Because I know if I’ll talk to you, it’ll seems like I’m crazy” “But to me I thought you’re special”

                The two met eyes. Daehyun looked away.

“What I mean is because you’re the only one who can see me. That’s why I said that” “Ah” she quickly packed her things to get out from the awkward situation.

“Well” Sohyun wore her bag. “Since I’m the only one who can see you, I wish you be understanding that I ignore you the whole time in front of other people. And please don’t do anything stupid that attract my attention”

“Okay I can guarantee you the first one. But the second one” he pressed his lips aside. “I can’t help if you can only see me instead of others”

“What the” she rolled her eyes. “Anyway, why am I the only one seeing you? Like we don’t know each other”

“I know right. I’m curious too” “Aigo, why is things happening to me” she still packed her stuff.

                Daehyun was thinking for a while. An idea came to him. “Hey, hey. Maybe you can help me”

“Help you?” she glanced at him. “I already have loads of problem of my own. Why should I make things more difficult for myself?”

“Awh come on. Please”

                Sohyun sighed and stood facing him.

“What is it?” “Help me find the person who hit me” “What? Me?” “Yup. Is there someone else who can see me right now?” “The authority must be on that by now” “I know. But the authority not know something”

                She met his eyes.

“The face. I saw it”

                Her eyes widened as listening to him.

“The person who hit me” Daehyun continued. “But if I only I can remember it. I know I saw it. But” he ruffled his head in frustration. “My brain is not cooperating”

“Yah” she tried to held his hand to stop him but failed. “Chill. Maybe it takes time”

“But how long should I wait? I can’t stay like this forever. Maybe I’ll be gone suddenly one day without even finding the culprit” “Hey, hey” she tried to look for his eyes. Daehyun stopped and stared at her eyes. “Everything will work out. It just a matter of time. Let’s just wait and hope for the best. I’ll try to help if I can”

A few moments passed. Daehyun cleared his throat and looked away. “You should hurry or you’ll be late for school”

“You’re right” Sohyun wore her bag and fixed her uniform. “Hey” something caught her eyes.

                Daehyun froze as she approached him suddenly. She reached out to his head and pointed to something on his head.

“What is it?” he touched his head. His hand touched something fluffy on his head. “Wait. This is-“

“You have cat ears?!” she exclaimed in excitement.

“Ears?!” he panicked. Daehyun straightened the pair of white cat ears on his head with his eyes widened in shock. “What is this doing on my head?”

“How should I know?” she was still smiling. “Yah, why are you smiling?” “Nothing. I’m just-amazed. Like woah! You’re a cat ghost!” “Is it a topic to be amazed about?” “Yea of course” “But why cat?” “Don’t know. Let’s find out later. First I need to go to school. Bye” “I’m coming with you” “Why should you?” “Because I don’t have anywhere to go? Are you expecting me to stay in your room without doing anything all day?” “Then should I expect you to haunt me all the time?” “Yup” “Just what my sin is to have a ghost following me around? So scary” she pretended to shiver and left him. “Yah, wait up!” Daehyun ran through the door.

*                             *                             *

                Sohyun entered her class.

“Jieun” she called as she sat. Jieun turned to her. “Sohyun-ah, big news! It’s about B.A.P” Her phone was in her grip.

                Daehyun and Sohyun met eyes before both turned to Jieun.

“They found the culprit” Jieun announced. Daehyun gasped. “Really?” Sohyun snatched her phone and read the news.

“Yea. They look through the CCTV but the thing is, they failed to identify the culprit. The car plate is not registered and so police have a hard time to track the culprit” Jieun took the phone again. “Here is the video from the CCTV”

                Jieun played the video. Daehyun and Sohyun watched the video. They could see the street. Not many cars were passing by as it was office hour. The traffic light turned red and the cross walk user started to cross the road. The cross walk light started to blink indicating it was about to turn red. At that time, they could see Daehyun who was on the bike came into the scene.

                Sohyun stole glance at Daehyun beside her. He seems to bit his lips with furrowed eyebrows.

*It must hurt to see moment before your life change forever*

                The video resumed. Daehyun stopped the bike and decided not to cross since he knew he couldn’t cross it on time. He looked to his side and saw a white cat cross the road.

“A cat!” Sohyun exclaimed. She smirked. “So that’s why”

                The cat continued to walk. Daehyun lifted his head to the road. He suddenly paddled the bike fast with his hand attempted to grab the cat. A black tinted car sped and hit them.

                Sohyun gasped. She covered . Daehyun beside her looked away. Having the tragic memory came fresh into his mind once again hurt him.

                In the video, Daehyun was thrown off his bike. Both the bike and him got dragged away from the cross road and out from the view. The black car drove pass the incident scene and continued to speed away. Jieun put her phone away. Sohyun was still in shock. Daehyun turned away. She couldn’t turn to him as she knew he doesn’t want to see him in that harsh condition. Sohyun looked up and saw other students were also gathering to talk about the incident. “This thing must be so shocking to everyone”

“You don’t know how popular that group is, Sohyun. They are the best!” Jieun voiced while still playing with her phone. Daehyun turned to Jieun. “Sohyun, can you tell her I thank her so much for saying that despite everything that is happening to our group right now” his eyes turned melancholy. His smile was sad. Sohyun stared at him for a while before nodded.

“Thank you, Jieun” “For?” “Because your support for the group” “Hey” Jieun smiled. “It’s not just me. You should go to Twitter and look at what’s trending. #StayStrongBAP is trending right now. All the fandom become one and give their support to B.A.P”

“Woah really?” Daehyun turned away and wiped his tears.

*He’s crying?* Sohyun thought.

“Jieun, do you have any news on Daehyun?” Sohyun asked. “Yah, you should go online often” Jieun smirked. “Of course I have the news. But there is no news of guarantee him waking up in any time soon. The surgery yesterday went well”

“I read it last for hours” “Yea. He had broken rib, fractured his leg and arm too”

“I sure have many stitches on my body” Daehyun sighed. “Is that what you worry right now?” Sohyun replied.

“What?” Jieun asked. “Eh?” Sohyun smirked. “Nothing. I’m just talking to myself”

“Anyway, doctor said he have little chance to survive. He has some other surgery to undergo due to the accident” Jieun sighed. “And he’ll be in coma for a long time”

                Sohyun patted her back. “I’m sure he’ll be okay”

“I wish he can wake up again. Everyone is waiting for him” “He sure will. I’m positive” Sohyun turned to Daehyun. He nodded in agreement.

                Jieun sat at her place. Sohyun was taking out her books and Daehyun sat on top of the lockers at the back of the class. Jieun turned to her again. “Hey I read about your family company. You okay?”

“There is so many thing happening to me at once” Sohyun faked a laugh. “I just hope the company matter, my oppa can handle it. I have no knowledge about that field so I don’t think I can help fix the situation. All I can do is support my omma and oppa”

“Me too. I’ll support your family. If you need any help, you know who to call. Stay strong, Sohyun”

“Aww” Sohyun pinched her chubby cheeks. “Thank you, Jieun-ah”

“Your family have a company? What happen?” Daehyun asked. Sohyun narrowed her eyes at him, warning him not to talk to her again. “Man that’s scary!” he quickly looked away.

                The class proceed as usual. And in no time, it was recess. Jieun and Sohyun went to the cafeteria. Daehyun’s mouth agape as he saw the food. “Yah, your lunch looks delicious!”

“Everything is so delicious!” Sohyun replied. “Yea tell me how can I not eat a lot at school” Jieun chuckled.

                The girls took their food and Daehyun followed them. He sat across Sohyun. His eyes glued to the food. He pouted. “I want to eat too”

                Sohyun glanced at him. “You must be hungry”

“You bet” Jieun picked up her chopstick, thinking Sohyun was talking to her.

“I don’t feel hungry though. In fact, I can’t feel anything. But I want to eat” Daehyun tried to grab Sohyun’s food but his hand went through it. His shoulder fell.

“Poor you” Sohyun replied and glanced at Daehyun.

“You too eat a lot, Sohyun” Jieun put an egg roll on her rice. “You have a big game in 2 months”

“Thanks” Sohyun smiled and started to eat with Daehyun eyeing her every action.

 

“Look who’s here”

The three of them looked up. Handong sat at the empty seat beside Daehyun.

“Who’s this? Your friend too?” Daehyun asked but both Jieun and Sohyun didn’t make any move. “Hi, Sohyun’s friend” he smiled to Handong.

“Aish!” Sohyun sighed loudly and smacked her chopstick down that its click made everyone silent and turned to them. Daehyun noticed the cold atmosphere. His smile disappeared. “Not your friend I guess”

“What are you doing here? Don’t you have any other place to sit?” Sohyun glanced at Handong from the corner of her eyes. She saw her friends were recording them.

“Woah” Sohyun rolled her eyes. “Using the media again. What is it this time? You know doing this won’t make you popular. There is a bigger issue going on right now that receive the people attention other than this childish play”

“I know” Handong started. “I just want to apologise”

                Jieun suddenly cracked into laughter. Handong stared at her in awe. “You think I’m joking?”

“Yup” Jieun replied after she gulped down her drink. “With the camera here, woah, I thought we’re recording a drama here”

“And the drama has both me and Jieun as the bad character. Is that it, Handong?” Sohyun smirked.

“What the-“ “You know what? You think apologise this way will make a person forgive you? No one will. This is all fake. You just want to prove to the world that you apologise but deep down, do you even mean it? You’re just scared that the world is labelling you as the bad character”

                Handong rolled her eyes.

“Come on, Handong. I’m fine if no word of apology come from you. Maybe both you and me are not mean to be friends. So let’s just walk our own path, okay? You do your thing and I do mine. It’s that simple. What do you think? Let’s just stay acquaintance. That way both of us won’t create any more unnecessary drama. No one will be the bad or good character, just a normal human being with imperfections”

Handong turned to Sohyun. She smirked and nodded. “Agree”

Sohyun smirked. “Great. Now, let’s eat. Neither of us want to waste our food right?”

Daehyun who was watching the whole situation with his arm crossed to his chest smirked. “Cool! The way you handle the situation” Sohyun smiled, proud of herself.

 

 

 

                Jieun and Sohyun was heading to the class.

“Sohyun, you go ahead. I need to use the washroom for a while” Jieun excused herself.

                Sohyun was left walking with Daehyun. She saw he casually walked through people. “I just can’t stop amazed at how you can walk through people like that”

“I know right” he smirked.

                Sohyun saw one of her friends ahead of them. “Hey, Jiho”

“Hi” The girl with long hair waved back. Daehyun almost run into her. “Sorry”

“It’s okay” Jiho replied.

                Both Sohyun and Daehyun froze. They met eyes then went to Jiho who was walking away from them.

“Yah, Kim Jiho” Sohyun quickly pulled her to the staircase where no one was.

“You see this guy?” Sohyun pointed to Daehyun beside her. “You can see him too?” Jiho was amazed. “Daebak! That mean you can see that ‘thing’ too” she pointed to an empty space on the stairs.

“Yah” Sohyun suddenly got chill. She held Jiho on her arm. “I don’t see what you are pointing at”

“Then why can you see him” Jiho pointed to Daehyun. “But not ‘that’?” she pointed to the stairs again.

“Quit it, Jiho!” Sohyun shut her eyes, scared as images of ghost she ever saw in the movie came into her mind. “Okay okay” Jiho chuckled. “It’s not doing anything anyway”

“Hi” Jiho greeted Daehyun. He bowed back. “I’m a huge fan of your band” she smiled widely. “Oh, thank you for liking our band” he smirked. “I want to give you autograph but maybe later”

“Nah seeing you in person…well maybe not in person but I’m still happy” Jiho smiled.

“Can you explain what’s going on?” Sohyun suddenly said. “I’m the one who should ask you. Why can you only see him?” Jiho asked. “I don’t know. You can see ‘those’ things?” “Yup. Since I was born” “That must be hard for you” “I tend to be natural with it but you know sometimes I’m scared too” she chuckled. “I never know about it” “I don’t want people to think I’m a freak. That’s all”

 

“But Jiho-ssi” Daehyun said. “Do you know what am I? Am I a ghost? Am I dead?”

“Dead? The news said you’re in coma. So you’re not dead yet” Jiho answered. “So that mean I can be alive again” “Sure” “Yeay!” he punched the air.

“But you’ll stay like this forever if you fail to survive the accident. Or even disappear”

                He went silent.

“Fail to survive” he rephrased her words. “That means I’m dead. I can’t go back to my usual life. I have to bid everyone goodbye forever” he blinked tears. “I can’t even ask forgiveness from everyone or even say I love my parents and my members. I wasted the chances all this while” he sighed.

                Both Sohyun and Jiho looked at each other before turned to him. Neither of them dare to speak any word to comfort him. Sohyun tried to caressed him but her hand went through his see-through body. Jiho shook her head, telling her to stop her attempt.  Her shoulder fell. Sohyun looked away. Her eyes went out the window. One of the school garden can be seen. The garden had a water fountain at the centre and various shrub beautify the surrounding.

“Isn’t that one of your band member?” Jiho voiced. Sohyun followed her gaze. Daehyun’s head snapped at the mention of . They followed to the direction Jiho pointed. To a male student who was seating alone at the fountain. He was facing down into the fountain floor.

“Junhong!” Daehyun quickly ran away. “Yah!” Sohyun and Jiho followed. “Does he know he can teleport?” Jiho asked. Sohyun’s eyes widened. “He can teleport?!”

 

 

                Daehyun stopped. Sohyun and Jiho stopped behind him, doubled over as they catching up their breath. Daehyun slowly approached Junhong who was immersed in his own thought.

“Junhong-ah” Daehyun touched his shoulder. His hand went through his body. Junhong couldn’t seems to notice his presence. “Come on, Junhong. Please tell me you can see me” Daehyun couldn’t lift his head anymore. His eyes went to the reflection on the water. He could see Junhong’s gloomy face but not his own reflection. “I don’t even have a reflection?”

                Daehyun fell on his knees. He stared into empty space. “Why is all this happening to me?”

“Daehyun” Sohyun whispered in melancholy. *How can I help him?*

 

“Excuse me”

                Both Junhong and Daehyun looked up. Sohyun was smiling to Junhong.

“Yes?” confusion can be seen clearly on Junhong’s face.

“I know we don’t know each other but-“ Sohyun’s  eyes wandered around, looking for any word to fill her sentence. “I read about what happen. And I saw you looking all gloomy. I just want to say that you should stay strong”

                Junhong didn’t reply and kept on staring at her.

“Aigo this kid” Daehyun shook his head at action. “I’m so sorry for him acting this way”

“Thanks” Junhong said. He met eyes with Sohyun. “It’s great to have a senior caring about an unknown junior like me”

“Unknown junior? I listen to your band. You play the...” Sohyun eyes went to Daehyun.

“He plays the keyboard” Daehyun replied.

“Keyboard” she continued. A small smile appeared on Junhong’s face. “I don’t know one of my favourite senior know about me” he smirked.

“Of course. And I listen to your song a lot. Especially ‘Goodbye’” she tried to cheer him up. “Oh that song” his smile turned into sad one. “Daehyun hyung wrote that too”

“Aigo” Daehyun face palmed his face. “He’s just about to smile but then you make him sad again”

                Sohyun narrowed her eyes at Daehyun.

“I didn’t mean to” she sighed. “But you know what, Daehyun is going to be fine”

“I hope so” Junhong replied short.

“Junhong” Daehyun put his hand on his shoulder. He stared at him with sad eyes. “I’m so sorry for making you feel like this. But I can’t change anything”

“I guess I’ll see around, sunbae” Junhong bowed to Sohyun. “Nae” Sohyun replied. Jiho approached as they all watched Junhong walked out from the garden.

“Let’s go to class” Sohyun voiced to Jiho. Jiho nodded. The girls started to walk. Sohyun turned back to Daehyun who doesn’t seems to move. “You comin?”

“Nah I don’t want to stuck all day listening to lecture” he smiled. “I’ll see you later”

                He suddenly vanished from their sight.

“Where did he go?” Sohyun looked around. She saw a figure sitting at the edge of the rooftop level of a nearby building. The figure waved to her. She smirked. “That’s amazing how he can go there so fast”

“He’s a ghost after all” Jiho smirked. “Let’s go”

-----------------------------------------------

Cameo appearance

Jiho of Oh My Girl