Chapter 2

The Princess and The Ghost

                A man walked away from the arrival hall of the airport. A luggage was pulled as he walked. He was making a call.

“Nae” Sohyun answered. “You skipped training yesterday right?” was the first question that the man asked. “Minhyuk hyung” she whined. “You dare call your coach like that!” he narrowed his eyes. “Make sure I see you at training this evening”

“You arrived here already?” “Yes. Don’t skip today’s training” “I never skip training while you’re on vacation. Just yesterday… I had to” “Yea I read the news. But you really did a good job of breaking up with him. Everyone knows he’s a player”

                Sohyun smiled. “Alright see you later, coach-nim” The call ended. She looked up from her phone to see Jieun waving at her from a car that drove away from the school compound. Sohyun waved back. The school was over for the day. She watched as the car drove out the gate. And she saw some reporter interviewed a few students. Sohyun walked passed one of the student who was also a solo singer. *Oh they ask about the incident*

                Sohyun glided out the gate on her skateboard but suddenly a few reporters started to go after her.

“Miss Sohyun, we have a few question for you?” “Is it true that actor Myungsoo go out with a new actress?” “Some people call you cruel when you treat your bully like that. Can you explain?” “Don’t you think your action of using your ability in archery to teach someone a lesson is consider showing off or abusing your talent?” “Some people consider you a hero when you stood up for your friend. Can you comment anything for this?”

*What are they talking about? Did the video gone viral?* she rushed away from the reporters. *Wait! Why am I running away?*

                A motorbike stopped at the end of the pavement. The rider pushed open the windshield of the black helmet.

“Sohyun-ah, hurry!” Doojoon called. “Oppa!” Sohyun stepped off the skateboard and ran to her brother. She hoped onto the motorbike and held tightly to her skateboard. The motorbike sped off through the street.

*                             *                             *

                The motorbike stopped at a luxurious restaurant located at a garden. The riders got off. Sohyun took off the helmet and Doojoon took it away from her without a word. He doesn’t even spare her any glance. And she knew he was somehow mad at her. Sohyun followed him without a word. They walked into the restaurant. The restaurant was full of plants and ponds with exotic fishes. Fresh and cool air surrounded them. But the situation alone didn’t help ease the hurricane in Sohyun. The mixture of nervous, exhausted from school and running away from the reporters and scared of her brother’s rage filled her. She held tightly to her skateboard.

“Excuse me” a waiter greeted Sohyun. He held out his hand. Sohyun looked at his hand them to her skateboard. “Oh, yes. Thank you” she held the skateboard to him.

                Sohyun looked up again to see Doojoon already walked ahead of her. She caught up to him. They entered the dining hall. Doojoon let the waiter directed them to their reserved seats. Sohyun sat across Doojoon. There were not many people at the restaurant. Sohyun held up the menu up to avoid meeting eyes with Doojoon. *What should I do? He must be really upset with me right now!* she squinted her eyes.

“Sohyun-ah” he called that made her jolted a bit. Slowly, Sohyun lowered the menu. She didn’t realise it already a few minutes she had stared at the menu. He didn’t spare any attention on her. “Ready to order?”

“Yes”

                The waiter came and took their orders. Doojoon stared down on his phone. His face was expressionless. Sohyun had her fingers fidget nervously. She stole glances on him. Doojoon finally put his phone on the table with a soft thud that can even surprise Sohyun. The two met eyes.

“Don’t you think you need to explain something to me, Sohyun?” Doojoon asked. His tense glare send chill down her spine that she can’t even lift her head up. “Oppa, I can explain” she started.

“You know I’m like your no. 1 fan” he chuckled. “Everything about you, I know. But I need your explanation since I don’t really trust the news. Why would you ‘attack’ your friend like that?”

“I’m not attacking her” Sohyun began to tell him what had happen.

                Doojoon remained silent for minutes after she finished her story. Sohyun continued to eat but stole glances at him. He was still eating. *Is he even listening?* she thought.

 

                Doojoon put down the chopstick. He threw his vision to the small lake beside them. “Don’t worry. I’m evaluating your situation. Have Minhyuk called you? Did he hear anything about you?” “He called just now. Maybe about the gym he may not hear it yet. He just arrived but I’ll see him later at the training” “I wonder how he’ll react. Since lately, there have been many news on you. You have game in 2 months” “Yea I know. And I’m ready to accept the consequences of my action” she sighed. “I know I can’t control my temper. And omma must be really upset about me”

“You’re correct. That’s why I offer to meet and talk some sense into you. She wanted to meet you and shout at your face even if the reporters are there”

                Her shoulder fell. “What should I do?”

“Hey” he smiled. “Why are you being all sad? Of course omma is mad at you but just because you gain too much attention before the big game. You should see what people comment about you in the social media” he quickly took his phone and showed her the video of her teaching Handong a ‘lesson’. She read the comments and smiled. Most of the comments were backing up her actions. And some of them criticized about her way of using her talent wrongly.

“I’ll just going to remember the good comments” Sohyun held the phone back. Doojoon smiled. “You’ve done a great job, Sohyun. This time I’m sure that ‘friend’ of you will never dare to raise hell with you again” “Tsk. You never know her, oppa” “No this time I’m sure of it” he smirked. She narrowed her eyes at him. “Did you do something to her father’s company?”

“Well” he leaned back, still with a smirk. “Did you forget I have more temper than you?”

“Tsk” Sohyun rolled her eyes. “Wait till omma know about what both of us did”

“Yah, I just warn their company that I’ll take action on them if something happens again”

                Sohyun smiled. She leaned back and sighed. “But I just feel a bit bad to Handong. I might be a bit hard on her”

“Yea I think so too. But you know what, things already done. So you can’t do anything to reverse it. The video already being shared and watched many times. Many people will like it and many will hate it too. Let’s just roll with things” “Yes I am. But it seems that you’re the one being all anxious here?” “Excuse me?” “Why do you avoid me from meeting the reporters and come here?” “Hah! Looks who’s talking. I just take you away to avoid you say something you shouldn’t say to the press. I know they could get to your nerve so before you slip your tongue, I better take you away fast. You? Why are you running away from them earlier?”

                Sohyun was silent for a while. She played with the remaining food in her plate.

“You know earlier, I suddenly remembered about me being suspended from school few years ago. I’m paranoid. I don’t want that to happen again. The media is scary. They might use my word and misinterpret it to use it against me”

“Oh” his shoulder fell. “I must have made you remember about the past. I’m so sorry”

                She swallowed the lump. “Nah, oppa. It’s okay”

                Her lips betray her mind. Her mind when back to years ago.

-Flashback (3 years back)-

                Sohyun paddled the bicycle faster through the beaten path of the long grass area beside the river. A small crowd could be seen not far ahead along with an ambulance and a few police cars. Sohyun hoped off the bicycle and let it fell on the ground. She rushed through the people and stopped as she was standing in front of everyone. A few police helped pull out a pale unconscious girl out from the water. The girl was let to laid on the stretches placed on the ground. Sohyun approached it, slowly. She fell on her knees. Her eyes that already poured out tears went to the lifeless girl. Her trembling hands reached out to her face. “Yeonwoo-yah”

                Her palm met the corpse’s face. It was cold. The once warm face that flashed sweet smile was now cold. “Yah, why did you do it?! Yeonwoo, wake up!” Sohyun couldn’t keep her head up anymore.

 

                Sohyun stayed there for a while. The crowd even started to leave the scene after the ambulance and police left. Doojoon approached Sohyun. “Sohyun-ah” he called. She didn’t turn to face him. He knelt and pulled her into embrace, letting her to cry on his shoulder.

 

 

                Days passed, Sohyun tried to continue her daily activities. She walked out from school towards the subway. She felt people stares and heard them badmouthing her.

“Her friend jump to death because of her” “She should be ashamed of herself” “How can she even represent our country? I’m so ashamed” “How can she even be alive? I would have kill myself if I were her”

                Sohyun couldn’t lift her head up. She slid on her earphone. And listened to the song ‘Goodbye’ to ignore the harsh reality.

-End of flashback-

               

                Doojoon and Sohyun walked out from the restaurant.

“Let me send you to training” he wore the helmet. She nodded.  

*                             *                             *

                Sohyun pulled the bow. The arrow propelled and embedded on the target board. She smiled. “Bull’s eye!”

                She turned around. Minhyuk stood and walked to her, eyes still glued to the board. He clapped his hand with a pout and a series of nod. “Not bad”

“I told you I never skip practice” “Nae nae” he smiled. He looked down to his watch. “Hey, let’s end our practise here today. I’ll see you tomorrow”

“Alright”

 

                Sohyun packed her things and headed out. She looked up to the already dark sky then to her skateboard. “At least I can reach the subway faster than walking” she shrugged. A car stopped in front of her. She bent down to see the driver.

“Hyung”

“Come in. I’ll take you home” Minhyuk voiced.

 

The car went through the main street. Sohyun was looking down to her phone. She suddenly gasped.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Minhyuk glanced at her. “I just read about oppa’s company. Someone was caught embezzle in Yoon Group” she replied. “Your family’s company?” “But how can this happen? Aigo, my omma and oppa must be bewildered at the news”

*Is that why Doojoon oppa came see me and didn’t bring omma along? Because omma was stressed? He was stressed too but he met me to comfort me instead*

“You’re busy creating your name lately” “You mean, hyung?” “Your name is making the headline and now your family company. I just hope all of you stay strong” “Thanks, hyung” she smiled. “For being concern of my family”

                Minhyuk glanced at her. He cleared his throat. “Of course. Doojoon is my friend. I should be concern of my friend, of course”

“Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of that friend of yours. Though he did that to me all the time instead”

 

                They arrived in front of Sohyun’s house.

“Thank you, Minhyuk hyung” she opened the door. She waited for Minhyuk to drive away but he kept on telling her to go inside first. She smiled and waved at him as she went into the house compound. Minhyuk continued to drive through the night street.

“Good job, Minhyuk. You’re good at creating awkward moment” he sighed. *Will I ever get to tell her I like her?*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey,first thing first, I want to thank you for reading this story. I really appreciate it and hope u enjoy reading it. 

Now, I just want to share the 1st story cover I made back in 2014 (Can u believe I procastinate to write this story for 4 years?!)